Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Takoluka posted:

It might have, if they'd decided to release out of Japan and Scandinavia.

It would have come out in 1993 so it would still be super obscure and carts going for $400+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Takoluka posted:

It might have, if they'd decided to release out of Japan and Scandinavia.

They actually tried, but they couldn't get a publisher for the game in the US (probably largely because it came out in 1992).

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
My grandma died of cancer because she dodged everything else that gets you in your 90s.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Mr. Gimmick owns bones. Now that you've seen it done by humans I'm going to recommend taking 8 minutes to watch the TAS; the star mechanics are wonderfully abusable.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Did someone say memes?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Xerophyte posted:

Mr. Gimmick owns bones. Now that you've seen it done by humans I'm going to recommend taking 8 minutes to watch the TAS; the star mechanics are wonderfully abusable.

Only 16 seconds in and lmao it's great.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Gimmick is a stone cold killer, skipping a boss fight by pushing the dude off the edge to his death.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Veib posted:

Gimmick is a stone cold killer, skipping a boss fight by pushing the dude off the edge to his death.

to be fair that dude was sleepin in, you know gimmick is coming to getcha bro, don't take a catnap!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'd donate to see someone play TMNT with Michelangelo, the worst Ninja Turtle in this game.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
NES TMNT was the bane of my childhood

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
There's a lot more junk that happened in this game than I thought.
Never knew about the damage boost.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh, this dam level.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Now here's a game I've played before

EDIT: I think he's already farther than I ever got

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

it's not a hard jump but jumping makes the game hard

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I could have sworn only Michelangelo had the damage boost critical mode.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Are the TMNT fresh or salt water turtles?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

vanilla ice HOIP

CJ posted:

leo and mike are fresh water.
it gets awkward at bath time.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The blindfold thing and shoutouts to Vanilla Ice were funny. I like this kind of deadpan comedy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CJ posted:

Freshwater as there's no way that a poverty stricken, six-year-old Matt Murdock could afford or maintain a saltwater tank for them.

:goonsay:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
RIP Raph.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The first two NES games I ever owned were TMNT and Adventures of Link. For a long time I thought video games were supposed to be impossible to beat.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

kill a turtle make some good soup and skip a stage. good lessons

also it's a turtle tank

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Who the hell came up this technodrome-finding-pausing-strategy and how?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Wasn't the PC version of this game impossible?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That "press start at exactly the right moment" trick is totally a "press up and b at the right moment to always catch Pokèmon" thing.

Takoluka posted:

Wasn't the PC version of this game impossible?

Right. One of the jumps was impossible on the PC.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Wow, I'd say that this one is already a marathon highlight. He's got a pretty great pace but he's narrating things really well.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Azazell0 posted:

I'm guessing it was by accident and actually unrelated to pausing

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I think I made it through the dam level on the C64, but it wouldn't load the level afterwards.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
I remember stage 3 being the hardest and a stupid maze. Once you got past it, the game was easy provided you saved Donatello for Mouser.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

turtles in a half-piece of shame

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

A tool assisted speedrun could read the random seed and find the best one for them, but given that the seed should be rotating thousands of times a second I'm dubious that the trick is anything more than a misperception ("It wasn't there... I must have messed up the exact timing at the beginning.")

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I awaken.

Any noteworthy runs between SOMA and now?

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
This is cool and good

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Watching this makes me sad, because I realize this game could have been really awesome for kids if not for the 'gently caress you' difficulty

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Watching this makes me sad, because I realize this game could have been really awesome for kids if not for the 'gently caress you' difficulty

and the single digit fps

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ohvee posted:

Wow, I'd say that this one is already a marathon highlight. He's got a pretty great pace but he's narrating things really well.

Yeah, I'm enjoying this a lot. He explains everything and plays really well in a game that destroyed a lot of kids back in the day (even if he missed one pizza because he was talking).

Look at that, the Technodrome strategy worked!

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

symbolic posted:

I awaken.

Gimmick

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that mouser fight lol

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Random Stranger posted:

A tool assisted speedrun could read the random seed and find the best one for them, but given that the seed should be rotating thousands of times a second I'm dubious that the trick is anything more than a misperception ("It wasn't there... I must have messed up the exact timing at the beginning.")

From what I understand the value for "where is the technodrome" is only set in two cases: 1) When you start the game, and 2) when you use a continue. So if that's accurate then it totally works. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

symbolic posted:

I awaken.

Strider was a fun five minutes.

• Locked thread