Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cowman posted:

and the single digit fps

Whoever designed TMNT decided that you needed to have at least half a dozen enemies on screen at once at every single moment, NES memory be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Random Stranger posted:

A tool assisted speedrun could read the random seed and find the best one for them, but given that the seed should be rotating thousands of times a second I'm dubious that the trick is anything more than a misperception ("It wasn't there... I must have messed up the exact timing at the beginning.")

The TAS:ers usually reverse-engineer this sort of thing, since they are nuts have tools to look directly at the memory. Tasvideos says: "The technodrome location in Stage 5 must be manipulated to be in the closest sewer. Its location is determined by address 0x0055. This value is determined just before the BEGINNING OF STAGE 1. If one were to wait until stage 5 to worry about the technodrome location, the entire TAS would have to be redone."

This doesn't immediately mean that the pause stuff does anything but the value could be set some global timer early on that's vaguely manipulatable, I dunno. Games are weird.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

symbolic posted:

I awaken.

Any noteworthy runs between SOMA and now?

Prince of Persia was pretty good

saihttam posted:

This is cool and good

:yeah:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Random Stranger posted:

A tool assisted speedrun could read the random seed and find the best one for them, but given that the seed should be rotating thousands of times a second I'm dubious that the trick is anything more than a misperception ("It wasn't there... I must have messed up the exact timing at the beginning.")

You have to realize that the NES hardware and algorithms were not advanced enough to make really good pRNG. So given that you are quick enough (and speedrunners have been doing 1 frame tricks pretty consistently) and know when to press start, it's not outside the realm of human ability.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol that safe spot

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

This guy has the lungs from hell, I don't know if he's stopped talking once since he started playing.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
lol this game is beatable in less than 20 minutes, my god

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

That guy should've had a donation incentive to take a breath at some point because goddamn!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nihilarian posted:

Strider was a fun five minutes.

Strider

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

even hitler hates cancer

$88 from HH fyi

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Anyone got a link to the Strider run since the reddit page isn't in the OP.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Right. One of the jumps was impossible on the PC.

I remember beating TMNT on PC though? Maybe the EU version was different.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
What's the song that's playing right now?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

The TAS:ers usually reverse-engineer this sort of thing, since they are nuts have tools to look directly at the memory. Tasvideos says: "The technodrome location in Stage 5 must be manipulated to be in the closest sewer. Its location is determined by address 0x0055. This value is determined just before the BEGINNING OF STAGE 1. If one were to wait until stage 5 to worry about the technodrome location, the entire TAS would have to be redone."

This doesn't immediately mean that the pause stuff does anything but the value could be set some global timer early on that's vaguely manipulatable, I dunno. Games are weird.

That's my point. Most NES games are updating their random seed constantly and given how inconsistent he said the trick was it makes me think that it's just a matter of remembering the times he got lucky and downplaying the times he didn't. So while a TAS could pull it off, it's not really feasible for humans since that seed at the start is being changed thousands of times a second. There's a lot of cruft and lore that assembles around these things that isn't totally true and unless Konami did something really weird with their random seeding (which is possible), I think this is one of those cases.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Dunban posted:

What's the song that's playing right now?

"We Love Burning Town" on the Game Boy Color
Unless you meant the previous song, in which case idk sry!!!!

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

symbolic posted:

I awaken.

Any noteworthy runs between SOMA and now?

The Tony Hawk's Underground 2 run won me over by the 7th "some BODY", and by the 10th time I had transcended my mortal form. I am now a ghost riding through the internet.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Rirse posted:

They are all on reddit so check there.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

That's my point. Most NES games are updating their random seed constantly and given how inconsistent he said the trick was it makes me think that it's just a matter of remembering the times he got lucky and downplaying the times he didn't. So while a TAS could pull it off, it's not really feasible for humans since that seed at the start is being changed thousands of times a second. There's a lot of cruft and lore that assembles around these things that isn't totally true and unless Konami didn't something really weird with their random seeding (which is possible), I think this is one of those cases.

It works if you carefully arrange your chicken bones on the floor and fast for at least 12 hours beforehand, I hear

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
The Ninja Gaiden runs always impress me with how drat precise the runners are. The race (last year I think) was amazing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Double Bill posted:

I remember beating TMNT on PC though? Maybe the EU version was different.

I read into it, and it was fixed for the EU version.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Why are there 3 ninjas on screen?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Crain posted:

Ninja magic.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Crain posted:

They are shadow clones that also do damage and you can position them strategically.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Crain posted:

He's using the mystical ninjutsu art of kage bunshin, duh.

Also, gently caress birds.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
I should really be sleeping rather than further destroying my sleep patterns, but I'm too in love with Ninja Gaiden.

Crain posted:

I think they're called "shadow clones", they basically copy your movements and attacks, allowing for quick kills if you set it up right.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Random Stranger posted:

That's my point. Most NES games are updating their random seed constantly and given how inconsistent he said the trick was it makes me think that it's just a matter of remembering the times he got lucky and downplaying the times he didn't. So while a TAS could pull it off, it's not really feasible for humans since that seed at the start is being changed thousands of times a second. There's a lot of cruft and lore that assembles around these things that isn't totally true and unless Konami did something really weird with their random seeding (which is possible), I think this is one of those cases.

There's also the counter-myth that the random number generator is changing "thousands of times a second." NES hardware runs at 60 FPS at most and within that, there isn't a guarantee that the value it reads in memory for their random number generator algorithm has changed frame by frame. And on reset, the values are initialized to some consistent value otherwise this method would not have nearly as high a success rate, even if it is less than 50% according to the runner.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Crain posted:

Turns out the canonical Ninja Gaiden sequel is actually 3 Ninjas Kick Back, who knew

I watched the Game Center CX episode about this game a while back and let's just say that playthrough went a bit differently.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I've never played a Ninja Gaiden game but it looks fun I guess and really hard. I don't understand what's going on.

we should donate this up more btw

Cowman fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 6, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cowman posted:

I've never played a Ninja Gaiden game but it looks fun I guess and really hard. I don't understand what's going on.

NG2 is hard as gently caress and this dude is totally tooling it. Using the birds for damage boosts is downright cheeky, since they're notorious for knocking normal people off the platforms.

Menator
Dec 9, 2008

Rirse posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/3z9fyi/agdq_vod_thread_2016/

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ninja Gaiden runs always impress me, those games are bullshit.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Well done, Mr. Poopins

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Ireeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeene

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I don't think the couch was :circlefap:ing over jimmy enough.

Rirse posted:

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Did I hear that right that NG3 is going to be pacifist? Holy poo poo

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ooh, next run is NG3 Pacifist? If you haven't seen it, you probably should.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
They should really ditch some of the longer, less popular runs in favor of a bunch of sub 30 minute NES runs. I would love to see more NES, SNES, Genesis runs in general.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The Gameboy Mario music is reminding me of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IshD3P9vaT8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmw4lzjEqD8

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Dias posted:

Ninja Gaiden runs always impress me, those games are bullshit.

Yeah. Kid me beat NES Turtles. Kid me definitely didn't beat Ninja Gaiden, because Ninja Gaiden is ridiculous.

I try to convince myself that Shadow of the Ninja/Blue Shadow was the cooler NES ninja platformer, but deep down these effortless runs make me feel very nerd-inadequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

lmao half the damage in the american version or was it the other way round?

• Locked thread