Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The only emote I really like is one of Leia's, the one where she calls people scruffy-looking nerf herders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

You know, this thing where your trait kicks in the more kills you get seems backwards. It's the people who get killed all the time that need the most help from that trait. I've only ever gotten it to level up a couple times, and I always get killed immediately afterward.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Steve Vader posted:

You know, this thing where your trait kicks in the more kills you get seems backwards. It's the people who get killed all the time that need the most help from that trait. I've only ever gotten it to level up a couple times, and I always get killed immediately afterward.

You are probably correct. However on the List of Things DICE Should loving Fix Already...

1) The entire spawn system
2) A-Wings
3) Walker Assault balance
847) Traits compound advantage for person already doing good

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
When people say "spawns suck :supaburn:" what specifically about them sucks?

I mean, there are instances of spawn balance/fairness that are out of whack such as: imps spawn too far away to realistically contest the canyon uplink during phase 2 of Jundland Wastes WA. Is this what you mean?

Or are people still mad about spawn camping?

If it's spawn camping, then I would say things are way better than they were in beta and sometimes your team is going to suck so bad that your rear end will get camped when the enemies push back to your spawn, end of story. In fact, if you try too hard to eliminate spawn camping altogether by pushing spawns super far back, you end up causing more of the distance-balance issues that I outlined in the previous statement.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
For me it's not just the lack of any choice on where to spawn, but that the whole team will spawn in teeny tiny spawn spots, often in retarded locations. Not having a choice wouldn't be so bad if it spawned you anywhere in a wide area based on phase/points/whatever. But no, everyone on the team has to spawn in some obscure 2x2 ft area at the bottom of a hill or whatever.

It's really, really stupid when you can predict what direction 100% of the enemy presence will be approaching from. It also frequently happens that forcing 100% of team spawns to be in a single place will more or less guarantee that a certain point is either beyond hope of saving, or invincible to assault. Bonus points for Supremacy frequently spawning defenders practically inside the cap circle for a point being taken.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

A-Wings are dicks, but they don't seem to do as well when I'm flying one.

I'm trying to destroy 10 snowspeeders, but A-Wings won't leave me the gently caress alone when I'm TIE-fightering around waiting for speeders to show up to kill. They also never stop being right behind me no matter how much I flip and spin.

What kind of time frame can we expect for DLC? I'm not well versed on all of this. I am apparently "dad rock," if I get the meaning of it. Could the 4 planned expansions take all year to release? What's generally acceptable for these types of things? Grain of salt being that apparently :dice: doesn't do generally acceptable things.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Well if it's anything Battlefield's release schedule you'll see a new DLC release every three or four months. We are getting close to the first, in my "played a lot of shooty-mans experience" the first one will drop in February.

Hopefully after a patch is out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Siets posted:

When people say "spawns suck :supaburn:" what specifically about them sucks?

I mean, there are instances of spawn balance/fairness that are out of whack such as: imps spawn too far away to realistically contest the canyon uplink during phase 2 of Jundland Wastes WA. Is this what you mean?

see also: phase 2 Endor for Imperials, and phase 1 Hoth for Imperials. That loving hill. At least on Jundland the Empire makes up for its weakness in phase 2 by having an easy to dominate phase 3.

I'm trying to think of any map where phase 2 is good for the Imperials and I'm drawing a blank. You get A-Wings and lovely spawns on most of them.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Steve Vader posted:

I'm trying to destroy 10 snowspeeders, but A-Wings won't leave me the gently caress alone when I'm TIE-fightering around waiting for speeders to show up to kill. They also never stop being right behind me no matter how much I flip and spin.

Sullust walker assault, when the Rebels get Speeders hop in the turbo laser turret on the left side of the map, profit.

So how many people are playing with a controller on PC for the fighters?

I tried it but M/K seem more natural. I have being seeing people effectively do a split S but I cant really replicate it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Super 3 posted:

Sullust walker assault, when the Rebels get Speeders hop in the turbo laser turret on the left side of the map, profit.

So how many people are playing with a controller on PC for the fighters?

I tried it but M/K seem more natural. I have being seeing people effectively do a split S but I cant really replicate it.

I use a controller and a split S isn't hard, you just can't really right yourself so you'll fly upside down for a bit.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ginette Reno posted:

see also: phase 2 Endor for Imperials, and phase 1 Hoth for Imperials. That loving hill. At least on Jundland the Empire makes up for its weakness in phase 2 by having an easy to dominate phase 3.

I'm trying to think of any map where phase 2 is good for the Imperials and I'm drawing a blank. You get A-Wings and lovely spawns on most of them.

Yep, there are a lot of examples. That was just the first one to pop into my head, since it is so goddamn egregious.

Really what DICE needs to do is a pass on all maps where they calculate distances between spawns and uplinks during each phase of each map. Take that data and then iron-out the ridiculous outliers. It would go a long way.

Chomp8645 posted:

For me it's not just the lack of any choice on where to spawn, but that the whole team will spawn in teeny tiny spawn spots, often in retarded locations. Not having a choice wouldn't be so bad if it spawned you anywhere in a wide area based on phase/points/whatever. But no, everyone on the team has to spawn in some obscure 2x2 ft area at the bottom of a hill or whatever.

It's really, really stupid when you can predict what direction 100% of the enemy presence will be approaching from. It also frequently happens that forcing 100% of team spawns to be in a single place will more or less guarantee that a certain point is either beyond hope of saving, or invincible to assault. Bonus points for Supremacy frequently spawning defenders practically inside the cap circle for a point being taken.

You can get around needing to add GUI spawn-choice elements by just round-robin'ing people between spawns. I think they are really emphasizing simplicity, which is a noble goal as long as they do it right (which, as you point out, they really aren't right now.)

I agree that spawns are too tightly stacked as well. I have had moments where a bunch of enemies spawn, and despite their spawn protection invulnerability, I pulled off a massive killstreak with a well-timed thermal imploder. This really shouldn't be possible, but welp.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Siets posted:

You can get around needing to add GUI spawn-choice elements by just round-robin'ing people between spawns. I think they are really emphasizing simplicity, which is a noble goal as long as they do it right (which, as you point out, they really aren't right now.)

That would be fine. They just need to loving do it already.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

That would be fine. They just need to loving do it already.

Hell, I'd even settle for a "we're working on spawns and testing X, Y, and Z changes." But nope, just more posts about that stupid loving NOT ACTUALLY BATTLEFRONT mobile game on Battlefront's main website. :sigh:

edit: Just realized that the slowness regarding patch deployment is probably due to console restrictions. I think Microsoft charges tens of thousands of dollars per patch to discourage developers from constantly streaming updates to games and forcing large downloads frequently on the XBL network. As a result, devs wait as long as they can to catch everything and lump it all into one gigantic patch. It loving sucks.

Siets fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 4, 2016

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Siets posted:

... sometimes your team is going to suck so bad that your rear end will get camped when the enemies push back to your spawn, end of story. In fact, if you try too hard to eliminate spawn camping altogether by pushing spawns super far back, you end up causing more of the distance-balance issues that I outlined in the previous statement.

I was killed five times in a row because somebody placed an infantry turret at a spawn point on Endor Supremacy. This isn't a matter of sucking, it's simply bad design, end of story.
Spawn camping can be reduced by having a five second invulnerability window at a non-partner spawn.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Yeah I just unlocked the Wookiee Crossbow to use mid jump boost and :stare: ..

I like this thing.

It's like playing Soldier in TF2 without gutting your HP to rocket jump.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

NT Plus posted:

Yeah I just unlocked the Wookiee Crossbow to use mid jump boost and :stare: ..

I like this thing.

It's like playing Soldier in TF2 without gutting your HP to rocket jump.

It's such dumb fun corner camping with that thing too. Get in the bunkers on Sullust or Endor on WA and just charge snipe groups of enemies running around the corner.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Great. I was actually looking forward to playing this again after the holidays, but now I seem to be stuck at the "press enter to start" screen at the beginning of the game. All my old ways of sorting it seems to no longer work. :(

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Goddammit. I have two goddamn speeder challenges. Kill poo poo and kill speeders. Ion Torpedo ain't poo poo. I can never find the ship power ups at the right time. This sucks.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Steve Vader posted:

Goddammit. I have two goddamn speeder challenges. Kill poo poo and kill speeders. Ion Torpedo ain't poo poo. I can never find the ship power ups at the right time. This sucks.

Speeder tokens spawn pretty much non-stop in Stage 3 Hoth, just stick to the back couple trenches on the left/middle and you should find one pretty easily.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Steve Vader posted:

You know you can just reroll challenges right? It costs 500 points but why spend time doing things you hate for hours just to get a dumb challenge done...reroll it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Siets posted:

Hell, I'd even settle for a "we're working on spawns and testing X, Y, and Z changes." But nope, just more posts about that stupid loving NOT ACTUALLY BATTLEFRONT mobile game on Battlefront's main website. :sigh:

edit: Just realized that the slowness regarding patch deployment is probably due to console restrictions. I think Microsoft charges tens of thousands of dollars per patch to discourage developers from constantly streaming updates to games and forcing large downloads frequently on the XBL network. As a result, devs wait as long as they can to catch everything and lump it all into one gigantic patch. It loving sucks.

The ridiculous patch charges on console hasn't been a thing for literally years now. They can patch when and how they want now.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I wish the spawn timers on vehicles were a little bit longer in WA. It's pretty annoying to shoot down 3 enemy fighters only to have them respawn and come shoot you down 15 seconds later. Makes it hard to achieve any measure of air dominance ever unless you're in the A-Wing. It's especially problematic since most of the maps aren't that large and as soon as an enemy fighter spawns they can see you unless you're alt whoring real bad.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Palpek posted:

You know you can just reroll challenges right? It costs 500 points but why spend time doing things you hate for hours just to get a dumb challenge done...reroll it.

I was not aware of this. Although I may use that to get out of my Cargo challenge first. That mode sucks.

Thanks!

vvv Yeah. Realizing Supremacy spawns a lot more Speeders more reliably than Walker Assault made me think I can maybe accomplish them. But I tried Cargo for the first time last night, and that's just a camping nightmare. I might try to give it more of a chance with a different load-out. The Personal Shield might come in handy there.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 5, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't abandon a challenge unless it will simply never happen, even if it will proceed glacially like killing speeders or long range headshots or whatever.

Naturally I abandon any challenges for "play this game mode that is less than 10v10" straight away.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played this game in a few weeks. How the hell have they still not implemented match-balancing, fixed team rotations and A-Wing? Those are 3 very obvious and critical things that need to be addressed and this game has been out far to long for them not to be fixed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Popete posted:

I haven't played this game in a few weeks. How the hell have they still not implemented match-balancing, fixed team rotations and A-Wing? Those are 3 very obvious and critical things that need to be addressed and this game has been out far to long for them not to be fixed.

I think DICE rule of thumb is that the easier it is to fix a problem the less likely it is to happen.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I would love DICE forever if they patched out jumpcasting and didn't tell anyone. As if thousands of idiots suddenly cried out in surprise, and then were suddenly silenced.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

I think DICE rule of thumb is that the easier it is to fix a problem the less likely it is to happen.

It's amazing, it's not like any of those are contentious fixes that would break balance or piss off the community. I mean I guess some of the people who always take the A-Wing and go 40-2 every match will bitch but for the majority of users its pretty obviously broken.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Welp, fighter squadron is just boring now.
I know you will always lose as imperials and don't mind it, since rounds are quick, but it is just so imbalanced it takes away the fun.
You can only suffer a guaranteed loss by Awing every other round for so long.

Plus earlier I joined WA on phase 2 Endor and my rebel team had no uplink, I was wondering why the ATAT had so much health and well... there is a guy going 132:2 and one shot killing everyone across the map with a tb21 firing while jetpacking.
And the reporting function was broken it seems.

No wonder this game would pulls a hardline and is dying off in 3 months...
but hey, if BF4 is any measure, we can come back in 1.5 years and it will be balanced and playable

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Hopper posted:

Welp, fighter squadron is just boring now.
I know you will always lose as imperials and don't mind it, since rounds are quick, but it is just so imbalanced it takes away the fun.
You can only suffer a guaranteed loss by Awing every other round for so long.

Plus earlier I joined WA on phase 2 Endor and my rebel team had no uplink, I was wondering why the ATAT had so much health and well... there is a guy going 132:2 and one shot killing everyone across the map with a tb21 firing while jetpacking.

but hey, if BF4 is any measure, we can come back in 1.5 years and it will be balanced and playable

Believe it or not, I was playing Fighter Squadron on Monday and two impossible things happened:
1) During the Rebel round I managed to tail and kill Slave 1.
2) During the Imps round we actually loving won.

The sweetest of victories, if only because I'd be suffering such bitter defeats for weeks.

Also, your experience on Endor sounds awful. Was he definitely cheating?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah definitely. Over 100 kills in phase 2 is impossible as the AT-AT spawn in round one is practically useless for half the duration and that is the only way to get more than say 50 kills legit up to that point.
Plus he killed me and 2 other dudes nowhere near me in about 2 seconds. And he was shooting at me from way down the river, one-shot me at full health. About every other kill was his and he went up 20 kills/minute.

I just left. First blatant cheater I saw. I guess it will become more of a visible probelm with less and less people playing.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Hopper posted:

This is the weird thing though, BF4 took so long to get its poo poo together because it was busted in almost every way imaginable on launch, like to the point where nobody expected it to ever turn around and be an actually decent game, and Hardline had the problem of appealing to basically nobody, being released at a really lovely time for its quarter-assed attempt at a theme and just had no idea what to do with itself in any way.

Battlefront released at an extremely opportune time for its brand with loud and clear plans for (kinda) long-term support, and it's like the least fundamentally-busted thing :dice: has released since probably BC2??? It just has a handful of extremely lovely balance decisions that gently caress with an otherwise decent fun casual shooter core, and like the poster above said, they're small tweaks that nearly everyone but the biggest shitbabies want.

My guess is there's been an unfortunate executive decision to hold off on any balance passes or proper patches until the first real DLC, releasing one big patch rather than a few little ones to fix up smaller things. Problem is, those "smaller things" are real bad for the game as a whole, the first pack's probably a month away or more, and these issues are driving a load of people away from the game entirely.

I mean, poo poo, I've barely booted it up in the past few weeks, even though I really do have more fun than i've had with a multiplayer shooter in years when the game clicks, but it clicks less and less as the community at large figures out the Bafflingly Broken Bullshit.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Whoever said running around with flash and smoke grenades is viable, is on drugs. This combo hardly ever works out! :argh:

Not that I seriously expected it to. But hey.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Hopper posted:

He wasn't called Darth Hellman or something similar? Because I've been seeing that guy pop on Walker Assault with depressing regularity. At one point, I saw him loving advertising the hack :psyduck:

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Man, speeders are clunky. But there's apparently a skill to them I just don't have. Sometimes I try to take potshots with the Ion Torpedo to try and clear this challenge, and somehow whoever's flying them can turn around and target me specifically, like he knows where the shot came from. Whereas I can't see anybody I'm shooting at until I'm just about ready to crash. Too bad you can't Scan Pulse in a Speeder Cockpit.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Steve Vader posted:

Man, speeders are clunky. But there's apparently a skill to them I just don't have. Sometimes I try to take potshots with the Ion Torpedo to try and clear this challenge, and somehow whoever's flying them can turn around and target me specifically, like he knows where the shot came from. Whereas I can't see anybody I'm shooting at until I'm just about ready to crash. Too bad you can't Scan Pulse in a Speeder Cockpit.

If you fly them enough you start to know the spawns pretty well. I recently got a new and larger monitor too and that helps a hell of a lot for spotting infantry on the ground while flying.

I think my favorite Speeder spot is Walker Assault Jakku phase 3. It's such a turkey shoot, I feel bad for the Imperials in that phase.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I have a 48" tv and even I don't really see imps on the ground that well from a speeder. It's more about looking at your radar, seeing where all the red is, and immediately identifying the nearest choke point.

Strafe it a few times, then back off.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
I try to look for blaster fire and use that as a guide to strafe with. WA on Tat is probably the easiest map to rack up kills in a speeder. Lot of natural chokepoints.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Chomp8645 posted:

The only emote I really like is one of Leia's, the one where she calls people scruffy-looking nerf herders.

Look at this guy who doesn't use the Sullustian "Noooo!" emote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Pops Mgee posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't use the Sullustian "Noooo!" emote.

Don't you mean "Naaaaaaaayyyyyyy!"?

• Locked thread