Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Luck of the draw, I guess :shrug: The people I've met and played with were super chill with me asking questions about really obscure stuff or taking time to check the rulebook multiple times.

I think I'd do a pretty good job at teaching, if/when I get better, because of how much ASL is a thinking game. I should try to do another solo game again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

What do you guys think the best solitaire wargames out there are?

(preemptive joke response: they're all solitaire games!)

I like Warfighter, Thunderbolt/Apache Leader, I'd want to give Field Commander: Napoleon another go, The Hunters is fun, B-17 Queen of the Skies is fun.

Granted, at least 3 of those are basically choose your own adventures where you roll to see what happens next. I don't know if they're challenging games, but they make for good narratives.

The slighty-serious, slighty-jokey answer is a big WW2 strategic game like A World at War, Third Reich, World in Flames, Unconditional Surrender, etc.
You can spend months learning and rules and playing out the entire war, and they generally have no hidden information so they're fine to play solitaire. To see how fun that can be, just check out Calandale's youtube channel! Especially him playing A World at War, if you want to see what misery looks like. (I'm pretty salty on AWAW myself but that's a rant for another time).

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Luck of the draw, I guess :shrug: The people I've met and played with were super chill with me asking questions about really obscure stuff or taking time to check the rulebook multiple times.

I think I'd do a pretty good job at teaching, if/when I get better, because of how much ASL is a thinking game. I should try to do another solo game again...

I really don't want this to get lost in the shuffle - these were all good people. None of them were assholes, or snippy, or anything. They just kept trying to start slow, but got notably impatient and sped everything up much too fast. The sorts that think if they explain 1/50th of a complex subject slowly for the first 5 minutes, that you will then be able to pick up the remaining 49/50ths in the next five minutes after that.

Again, it's not their fault, and they're not being bad people. But honestly, ASL is something where, if you're learning it from other people, is going to be learned over a number of games. Starting someone off in a scenario that involves the Japanese and trucks, and kind of popping through vehicle overrun rules inside of a couple of minutes really means you're more interested in trying to play a game than teaching someone. Which is fine, but you probably should not expect the person to learn much (or not get frustrated with the result, as the game becomes a meaningless jumble of quickly stated unknown terms, as opposed to an actual enjoyable learning experience).

(I'm also not saying I would do much better at teaching it. But I did find, contrary to common wisdom, that I it was much easier for me to learn ASL by simply sitting down and reading the rulebook and several of the very good examples of play that are out there than trying to learn it live with other actual humans.)

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 6, 2016

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

I haven't read the rules for LOD, but what makes them much more complex?

There is a ton of combat modifiers and exceptions

http://www.gmtgames.com/libertyordeath/LODRulesFinal(nocoverart).pdf

Normally that's okay in a wargame, but I feel like that all violates the spirit of how the COIN games have been so far. I'm really considering dropping the order and I would really hate to cause I love this series of games, but I get so few chances to breakout the other ones that are easier to teach people to play.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

What do you guys think the best solitaire wargames out there are?

(preemptive joke response: they're all solitaire games!)

I'd say the COIN series and The Hunters, which is out of print, but its sequel game is just coming out Silent Victory which is the US sub war against Japan during World War Two.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SlyFrog posted:

I really don't want this to get lost in the shuffle - these were all good people. None of them were assholes, or snippy, or anything. They just kept trying to start slow, but got notably impatient and sped everything up much to fast. The sorts that think if they explain 1/50th of a complex subject slowly for the first 5 minutes, that you will then be able to pick up the remaining 49/50ths in the next five minutes after that.

Again, it's not their fault, and they're not being bad people. But honestly, ASL is something where, if you're learning it from other people, is going to be learned over a number of games. Starting someone off in a scenario that involves the Japanese and trucks, and kind of popping through vehicle overrun rules inside of a couple of minutes really means you're more interested in trying to play a game than teaching someone. Which is fine, but you probably should not expect the person to learn much (or not get frustrated with the result, as the game becomes a meaningless jumble of quickly stated unknown terms, as opposed to an actual enjoyable learning experience).

(I'm also not saying I would do much better at teaching it. But I did find, contrary to common wisdom, that I it was much easier for me to learn ASL by simply sitting down and reading the rulebook and several of the very good examples of play that are out there than trying to learn it live with other actual humans.)

No doubt, bad teachers or fast players can ruin the experience for newcomers.

I started on the starter kits, playing solo and using COOL CORN's LP OP as a guide. The first vs scenario I played was... RPT-11 Butchers and Bakers, 5.5 turns with less than 10 squads total. Really great suggestion from my gaming group to start me with it. Spent probably 4 or so hours playing it, asking questions, strategizing. After we finished we had some spare time, so we did a really quick game on FT-12 Sur le Toit de l'Europe at 4.5 turns and 5.5 squads (lots of half-squads in this one).

I've got an ASL Journal I plan to sit down with to see how much I can glean from the huge AAR in it, without having a map or counters in front of me to work with.

Anyone that starts you off with scenarios that aren't infantry-only (or with very little else) is setting up a newcomer to a bad time.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No doubt, bad teachers or fast players can ruin the experience for newcomers.

I started on the starter kits, playing solo and using COOL CORN's LP OP as a guide. The first vs scenario I played was... RPT-11 Butchers and Bakers, 5.5 turns with less than 10 squads total. Really great suggestion from my gaming group to start me with it. Spent probably 4 or so hours playing it, asking questions, strategizing. After we finished we had some spare time, so we did a really quick game on FT-12 Sur le Toit de l'Europe at 4.5 turns and 5.5 squads (lots of half-squads in this one).

I've got an ASL Journal I plan to sit down with to see how much I can glean from the huge AAR in it, without having a map or counters in front of me to work with.

Anyone that starts you off with scenarios that aren't infantry-only (or with very little else) is setting up a newcomer to a bad time.

Spot on. I actually just decided to play with my (then) wife, who said she was willing and interested. As mentioned, I learned the rules by reading the rulebook, and closely following through some detailed examples of play available on the internet. We then started with things like Guards Counterattack and Fighting Withdrawal, and I had a grand time. From there, we did a few scenarios just involving a tank or two, a gun, etc.

Of course, I'm now divorced, and no longer have the dream of a built-in ASL playing partner. Such is life. (I do not believe ASL caused the divorce, but who the hell knows these things.)

I now have a shitload of ASL stuff, because I'm retarded, and overbuy for nearly anything I'm interested in. I have pretty much all of the "official" things (other than Hakke Palle), including all the Annuals, Journals, and Campaign games, as well as a bunch of third party stuff. I'm tempted to get Hakke Palle just to keep everything "complete."

But of course, I now have no idea what to do with all of the stuff, and it will probably in reality end up being a few thousand dollars worth of cardboard mouldering in my basement crawlspace. Yay.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 6, 2016

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 23, 2016

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
This LoD talk is a bummer. I'm new to the hobby and backed it because COIN style games (or card driven) sound much more appealing than a lot of the other war games I see. The theme is also something that my wife and I are both interested in, but if people are this down on it maybe I should wait for a reprint of a better COIN, even if the setting isn't as appealing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

To be honest, none of us have actually tried it, but it does seem to be the black sheep of COINs so far. I am going to try it when it comes out and in interested to see how it works but there aren't many things that appeal to me and I fundamentally doubt that the COIN system can accurately reflect the American war of independence. I still think that the game is going to be pretty good otherwise, but for my part I am going to wait until Falling Sky comes out, since I want another lighter COIN in my collection rather than another monster.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SlyFrog posted:

Spot on. I actually just decided to play with my (then) wife, who said she was willing and interested. As mentioned, I learned the rules by reading the rulebook, and closely following through some detailed examples of play available on the internet. We then started with things like Guards Counterattack and Fighting Withdrawal, and I had a grand time. From there, we did a few scenarios just involving a tank or two, a gun, etc.

Of course, I'm now divorced, and no longer have the dream of a built-in ASL playing partner. Such is life. (I do not believe ASL caused the divorce, but who the hell knows these things.)

I now have a shitload of ASL stuff, because I'm retarded, and overbuy for nearly anything I'm interested in. I have pretty much all of the "official" things (other than Hakke Palle), including all the Annuals, Journals, and Campaign games, as well as a bunch of third party stuff. I'm tempted to get Hakke Palle just to keep everything "complete."

But of course, I now have no idea what to do with all of the stuff, and it will probably in reality end up being a few thousand dollars worth of cardboard mouldering in my basement crawlspace. Yay.

Bummer, sorry to hear about your divorce :(

I had to search quite a bit to find my ASL group, but living in a major city helps with that. You could always try VASL on VASSAL?

I have the same buying tendency too, for better or for worse, haha.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Bummer, sorry to hear about your divorce :(

I had to search quite a bit to find my ASL group, but living in a major city helps with that. You could always try VASL on VASSAL?

I have the same buying tendency too, for better or for worse, haha.

I've played VASL before - you run into the problem of most of the players on there being sharks (so far as I can tell). I'm a very casual player, and I do not tend to analyze games or learn much from playing to playing (I mean, I can generally avoid doing pants on head stupid things like not moving in stacks). So VASL can lead to a fair bit of stress. I have thought about getting back into it, however. (Separately, I just started my first ever online game of Through the Ages (the new version in this case), so I'm taking baby steps.)

The truly sad thing is that I live ina major metropolitan area. I just want to be goony, and not ever have to play with other people, but instead just have this ability to play at home with someone where we have a nice collection of games and grow with them over time. Though I'm seeing someone new who at least outwardly says she likes games, and has played some Agricola: All Creatures Great and Small and Carcassonne with me and stated she enjoyed them, I'm suspicious. Both of whether the interest is really there long term, and where it will stop (I do not want to play only things like Carcassonne).

Yes, I know the answer is to stop being goony and go play at a local gamestore or something. But whenever I go, I see the people sitting around the table, and it creeps me out.

Maybe I'll just sit alone, in a barely lit room, with a small glass of scotch in one hand and a T-34 counter in the other, slowly rubbing it between my fingers, wistfully staring off into the darkness at a future that never will be.

Or I could just buy Hakkaa Paalle and numb myself for 30 minutes with retail therapy, before the counterbalancing shame kicks in. :)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've been having luck with inviting random strangers from the internet but i think it can be a risky strategy. Some of those strangers were people I met before in public board gaming group.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

SlyFrog posted:

Yes, I know the answer is to stop being goony and go play at a local gamestore or something. But whenever I go, I see the people sitting around the table, and it creeps me out.

Maybe I'll just sit alone, in a barely lit room, with a small glass of scotch in one hand and a T-34 counter in the other, slowly rubbing it between my fingers, wistfully staring off into the darkness at a future that never will be.

Know that when you do, I'll be there, in another dark room, staring back. My glass will have bourbon, and the counter will be a finnish BT-42.

Edit: if we ever were to play an actual game, I would incessantly make puns about 'crossing the finnish line'.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I always move in stacks :getin:

I am a good player, I promise.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tekopo posted:

I've been having luck with inviting random strangers from the internet but i think it can be a risky strategy. Some of those strangers were people I met before in public board gaming group.

The crystal I wear around my neck contains an essence that gets recharged when I play ASL with a bro who also has a crystal. It gives me confidence at work, home, social situations, etc. Nobody knows it's an ASL crystal but me and my bros. I have seen it glow white while skulking with a bud thats how I know this is real. You can come over for as long as you want but I need a picture of you preferably wearing a crystal before I waste my time.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tekopo posted:

Navajo Wars.

Comedy option: Fields of Fire

That's some hosed up dark humour, man.

PS. Vietnam. When?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm a terrible ASL player but know the rules decently enough. I'd be up for playing over VASL sometime.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

PS. Vietnam. When?

Apparently Marco Arnaudo's "Christmas break project" was learning and reviewing FOF, and we should expect his review "in early 2016".

Every time I go to Youtube I frantically check his profile to see if it's there. I can't wait to see how he manages to polish that turd espouse the grandeur of such a beauteous gem.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oldstench posted:

The crystal I wear around my neck contains an essence that gets recharged when I play ASL with a bro who also has a crystal. It gives me confidence at work, home, social situations, etc. Nobody knows it's an ASL crystal but me and my bros. I have seen it glow white while skulking with a bud thats how I know this is real. You can come over for as long as you want but I need a picture of you preferably wearing a crystal before I waste my time.
I get the reference.

Lichtenstein posted:

PS. Vietnam. When?
When I come back from Jamaica.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'd like to try Vassal but I'm scared. I'm easily frustrated and it seems that ASL is full of stuff I could forget and the idea of it would drive me insane. Any of you qualify for patience of a saint?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Id have to learn/brush up on my VASSAL but I wouldnt mind once ive got some free time

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
VASSAL is an excellent platform

For playing by yourself :getin:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Id have to learn/brush up on my VASSAL but I wouldnt mind once ive got some free time

Well, you got me on Steam, we'll just need to iron our time zone difference... and VASSAL

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

JcDent posted:

Well, you got me on Steam, we'll just need to iron our time zone difference... and VASSAL

http://steamcommunity.com/id/qpzil/

Feel free to add me too. I'm patient, have lots of VASSAL experience, and am happy to help.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Why has nobody told me Warfighter has 7.62 bullet-shaped dice? :swoon:

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 7, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

has nobody told me Warfighter has 7.62 bullet-shaped dice? :swoon:

I enjoy Warfighter, but the dice are terrible :(

Every expansion comes with a baggie of bullet dice, so I have like 8 bags of them, and I hate using them.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I thought that the gooncensus was that Warfighter was a boring one-dimensional luckfest? Or am I thinking of another similarly named game?

Also, last night I recreated the 'US Navy fighter pilot in Vietnam' experience in Birds of Prey, by pulling in just behind an enemy MiG-21 and lining up a shot; then remembering that the F-4 I was flying has no gun and I was too close for missiles :downs:

Cue ~6 turns of verrrrrrrry slllllllowly flying a circle while slowing down enough to open up the range and popping a missile off. Birds of Prey is going back in the box for a while after that one.

MikeCrotch fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 7, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MikeCrotch posted:

I thought that the gooncensus was that Warfighter was a boring one-dimensional luckfest? Or am I thinking of another similarly named game?

It's certainly not a brain burner with a ton of choices. But, I personally find it fun to set up a mission, pick my soldiers, kit them out, and then see how my choices play out. Honestly I think it has more substance than something like B-17 or The Hunters. It's very much akin to the Leader series from DVG. I recommend it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/qpzil/

Feel free to add me too. I'm patient, have lots of VASSAL experience, and am happy to help.

Kazan, eh? I like your timezone already! Friend invite sent.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

JcDent posted:

Kazan, eh? I like your timezone already! Friend invite sent.

:ssh: I'm not actually in Kazan (anymore), I live in the US east coast.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

:ssh: I'm not actually in Kazan (anymore), I live in the US east coast.

RATS! Well, not gonna take it back, we'll sort something out somehow!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Just looked over the LoD rulebook and WELP, gently caress ever teaching that game to normal humans. It looks like a cluster gently caress of detail which, like someone else said, kind of takes away from the cleanliness of the COIN design for the most part.

I guess it's a COIN for a grognard's grognard, but a definite skip for me. I would only try it with someone who already knew the game really well. Looks like too much of a chore to learn it by myself, with to many tiny, but incredibly important rules that would be overlooked and would gently caress entire games.

Scalping traitors in my home state sounded cool at least :(

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Got to teach Napoleon's Triumph to someone who wants to get into wargames, he's a heavy euro gamer already though.

Went pretty well! He skimmed the rules beforehand, rules took maybe 45 minutes, game took maybe 3 hours, he lost spectacularly on morale at 2 pm, but enjoyed it and wants to play again soon so he can remember what he's doing.

I think I'm switching allegiances, I think the French are probably easier for newbies now. Not because of the "all your corps get to move", not the extra independent move, and definitely not the big reinforcement decision. No, I think that's the case solely because attacking entrenched enemies is fuckin hard, and new players simply can't figure out how to do it while protecting flanks. Too bad I learned this during this game, but good to know for the future.

fyi, sending heavy cav behind the allied lines is the most hilarious thing.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Got to teach Napoleon's Triumph to someone who wants to get into wargames, he's a heavy euro gamer already though.

Went pretty well! He skimmed the rules beforehand, rules took maybe 45 minutes, game took maybe 3 hours, he lost spectacularly on morale at 2 pm, but enjoyed it and wants to play again soon so he can remember what he's doing.

I think I'm switching allegiances, I think the French are probably easier for newbies now. Not because of the "all your corps get to move", not the extra independent move, and definitely not the big reinforcement decision. No, I think that's the case solely because attacking entrenched enemies is fuckin hard, and new players simply can't figure out how to do it while protecting flanks. Too bad I learned this during this game, but good to know for the future.

fyi, sending heavy cav behind the allied lines is the most hilarious thing.

What's the best way to learn/teach NT rules? Been working through the rules myself, but I'm going to have to teach it at some point as well.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

taser rates posted:

What's the best way to learn/teach NT rules? Been working through the rules myself, but I'm going to have to teach it at some point as well.

Hm. First step is to have the learner skim the rules, it's really hard if they have zero familiarity with how anything works.

I usually explain what units are (blocks, corps), where they can be (reserve, approach), how they move (roads, not roads), commands (corp move, attach, detach, unit move), then onto the attack procedure which I just go in order (explaining a little bit as to *why* you want to do certain things and implications of certain rules like "blocks can only be named defenders for one approach so be really loving careful in big locales when you're surrounded", and how to use feints).

After that, how to win, elite units, and artillery (since really, while artillery is covered by the attack procedure, it's far easier to explain "just deal a point of damage per artillery, unless the defense has the artillery penalty and is blocking the approach). Finally, the few exceptions that are hard to explain earlier (corps road moves, cavalry road feints, the santon, artillery on defense, stuff like that) and setup!

Be sure to explain that the roads *never* go where you want them to go, french win on the final tiebreaker so holy poo poo be careful letting french cavalry get behind you or surround you, and reiterate how bad it is to have corps get surrounded in big locales. Oh, and single strength units not being able to lead defense from the reserve, and attacks at all unless they're artillery in the approach.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Drinking beer, eating steak, watching Seinfeld, and punching World in Flames counter.

What a Friday night!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
You lost me at Seinfeld.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Punching or clipping or both? Do you already have your storage solution? I can only imagine how many Plano boxes you'd need for WiF

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The General posted:

Punching or clipping or both? Do you already have your storage solution? I can only imagine how many Plano boxes you'd need for WiF

Both. For the "base" game ("Classic" WIF), it's not so bad. I've got US/Commonealth/France in one box, Russia/China in one box, Germany/Italy/Japan in one box, markers in one, and minor countries in one.

Not perfect, but I don't want to dedicate 10 planos to this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Both. For the "base" game ("Classic" WIF), it's not so bad. I've got US/Commonealth/France in one box, Russia/China in one box, Germany/Italy/Japan in one box, markers in one, and minor countries in one.

Not perfect, but I don't want to dedicate 10 planos to this game!

So, uh, what's you time zone? I'll start reading the start kit with some hope

Accept the drat Steam invite