Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
There will never be an acceptable meat substitute until we can grow actual meat in tanks; all other options are made less appetizing by attempting to imitate meat. Soy and mushrooms can both be delicious in other contexts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quorum posted:

There will never be an acceptable meat substitute until we can grow actual meat in tanks; all other options are made less appetizing by attempting to imitate meat. Soy and mushrooms can both be delicious in other contexts.

Morels taste just like beef but they're very expensive.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Radbot posted:

Raise college tuition prices, funnel the extra revenue to a Mike Rowe Dirty Jobs Program. Problem solved.

Possibly the dumbest "solution" yet. Gating talented youth behind their ability to afford college is draining this country of scientists and engineers.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

zoux posted:

Now hang on a goddamn minute

So she was for his citizenship before she was against it?

Does that make her a flip flopper?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Quorum posted:

Yeah, I just wish they would stop using meat terminology when it doesn't look anything like the meat. Just tell me it's loving tofu or beans.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Talmonis posted:

Possibly the dumbest "solution" yet. Gating talented youth behind their ability to afford college is draining this country of scientists and engineers.

Also, gently caress Mike Rowe forever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ben Carson's wife's book contains fun stories about questionable obstetrics during their most recent child's home birth and that time in grade school where Ben possibly wanted to kill himself with rat poison.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

computer parts posted:

Most of that issue is solved if you make college inexpensive or free. I'm sure there's some people who depend on their 18 year old to provide income for them, but they're probably skipping college already.

It takes some steps towards fixing issues of inequality, in allowing people of low socioeconomic status to attend college more easily. But it doesn't solve the fundamental issue that it shouldn't be necessary to go to college to gain employment in many fields where it is currently necessary to do so, or the other issue (that is just as problematic) that fields that one can get into without going to college (e.g. think trades) are viewed with disdain and pay little. Because the issue is much more complicated than "minorities and the poor can't get to college"; jobs that they can get have been suppressed in terms of prestige and income. Presumably BECAUSE it is minorities and the poor who currently occupy those jobs.

Making college affordable (and free, ideally) for everyone is absolutely something that should occur. But it won't fix the problems that allowed universities to raise tuition in the first place.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Even if I hadn't needed to go to college(which I did, as the 2 ways into the profession I wanted were connections or education, and I didn't have any connections), the very act of going to college was so very good for me. Due to bullying from grade school through high school I was extremely introverted and rarely ever talked to anyone except over the internet. Hell, my entire life was the internet pretty much. Then I went to college and lived in the dorms, where I was first forced to socialize by a girl who remains one of my closest friends to this day, and through her met other people who I continue to be good friends with. I finally learned how to socialize with people and make friends, and eventually was even able to make other friends at my university on my own, who also continue to be my good friends still.

If I hadn't gone to college I probably would have continued to be extremely introverted and never able to talk to anyone.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Talmonis posted:

We don't need more scientists and engineers, we need more people willing to do Good American Jobs. Scientists and engineers can be imported.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Full Battle Rattle posted:

real talk i don't even like meat that much but I bet vegan jerky tastes like mid-shelf dog treats

We have a local business here that makes it and it's not too bad. Super expensive though for what you get.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Magical double post

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shakugan posted:

Making college affordable (and free, ideally) for everyone is absolutely something that should occur. But it won't fix the problems that allowed universities to raise tuition in the first place.

You mean having states cut back on their funding?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Also, gently caress Mike Rowe forever.

Yeah, he seriously does not understand privilege and is a big piece of poo poo about it.

S.W.E.A.T. Pledge posted:

1. I believe that I have won the greatest lottery of all time. I am alive. I walk the Earth. I live in America. Above all things, I am grateful.

2. I believe that I am entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. I also understand that “happiness” and the “pursuit of happiness” are not the same thing.

3. I believe there is no such thing as a “bad job.” I believe that all jobs are opportunities, and it’s up to me to make the best of them.

4. I do not “follow my passion.” I bring it with me. I believe that any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.

5. I deplore debt, and do all I can to avoid it. I would rather live in a tent and eat beans than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle I can’t afford.

6. I believe that my safety is my responsibility. I understand that being in “compliance” does not necessarily mean I’m out of danger.

7. I believe the best way to distinguish myself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.

8. I believe the most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. I will never make them. If I am unhappy in my work, I will either find a new job, or find a way to be happy.

9. I believe that my education is my responsibility, and absolutely critical to my success. I am resolved to learn as much as I can from whatever source is available to me. I will never stop learning, and understand that library cards are free.

10. I believe that I am a product of my choices – not my circumstances. I will never blame anyone for my shortcomings or the challenges I face. And I will never accept the credit for something I didn’t do.

11. I understand the world is not fair, and I’m OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.

12. I believe that all people are created equal. I also believe that all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. I choose to work my butt off.

On my honor, I hereby affirm the above statements to be an accurate summation of my personal worldview. I promise to live by them.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

We don't need more scientists and engineers, we need more people willing to do Good American Jobs. Scientists and engineers can be imported.

If only we would actually be willing to import them!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Radbot posted:

This sounds like it just creates a vicious cycle of nativism and rabid nationalism. Imported professionals will take all the upper middle class jobs causing laborers and manufacturers to push their kids to go to college and get :airquote:an education:airquote:. When those kids don't get jobs and work starts slowing down the laborers will start complaining about how they did everything right, still haven't achieved the American dream, and start railing against all those foreign professionals because they took all the good jobs. Queue immigration quotas and pushing for more Good American Jobs.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Not denying that college has benefits that can extend far beyond job preparation. In general, I'm wholly against college being specifically for the purpose of job preparation (which is admittedly a problem that many other countries have). I just think that, for those who choose (through virtue of having the choice due to an affordable college system) not to go should not be stigmatized for the rest of their lives, and should have paths through life that do no involve working paycheck to paycheck with 3 simultaneous jobs.

I'm very fortunate to be in a position of extreme privilege with regard to college since I have a full tuition waver and stipend at an Ivy, but that's why I'm so conscious of people who don't want to be here, shouldn't need to be here, and are taking on soul crushingly huge debt solely because society places an unnecessarily large value on degrees. Particularly true for masters students, since undergrads here have good financial aid (though of course, Ivy's skewing to admit people who don't need the financial aid is a problem) and PhDs get paid for their work and full tuition wavers; I know plenty of masters students who are taking on 75k a year of debt in fields where the degree doesn't serve any real purpose. I regularly interact with absurdly rich people, but for every such person, there's 3 people shouldering crushing debt for no reason other than "it's what's done".

EDIT:

quote:

You mean having states cut back on their funding?

No. Sure, that may be part of the reason why universities have increased their tuition costs (another part being the rise of the administrator class), but I'm talking about the reason why the students are willing to pay those increased tuition costs. Because university is valued so highly in US society; you are a failure in life if you did not graduate from college. Jobs that don't require a college education to succeed at require a degree for no discernible reason. A big reason that costs have been able to rise as much as they have is that the degree is considered "worth it", regardless of the huge pricetag. Which, tying in with the above, is a problem precisely because of how closely linked college and the perception of "job readiness" are. This problem doesn't disappear when college is made free.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 6, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Roy Moore is back:

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/breaking_alabama_chief_justice_issues_order_blocking_same_sex_marriage_licenses

quote:

The Chief Justice of the Alabama State Supreme Court Wednesday morning issued an order to all probate judges to not issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Judge Roy Moore claims a previous order issued by his court in March remains in effect, and warns those judges that they "have a ministerial duty not to issue any marriage license contrary" to Alabama state law and its constitution.

Justice Moore, "said the conflict between the state court ruling and the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in June has caused 'confusion and uncertainty' among probate judges," AL.com reports.

The Decateur Daily adds that "Moore's order found that a June ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court that struck down laws banning same-sex marriage in Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee did not necessarily affect Alabama's similar laws."

"Until further decision by the Alabama Supreme Court, the existing orders of the Alabama Supreme Court that Alabama probate judges have a ministerial duty not to issue any marriage license contrary to the Alabama Sanctity of Marriage Amendment or the Alabama Marriage Protection Act remain in full force and effect," Moore stated.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

Wait so she doesn't like Cruz?

she's saying that cruz was born outside of the us but it's ok because his mom was a citizen, unlike obama, who clearly is an illegal immigrant because he was born outside of the us and only his mother was a citizen

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Shakugan posted:

Not denying that college has benefits that can extend far beyond job preparation. In general, I'm wholly against college being specifically for the purpose of job preparation (which is admittedly a problem that many other countries have). I just think that, for those who choose (through virtue of having the choice due to an affordable college system) not to go should not be stigmatized for the rest of their lives, and should have paths through life that do no involve working paycheck to paycheck with 3 simultaneous jobs.

I'm very fortunate to be in a position of extreme privilege with regard to college since I have a full tuition waver and stipend at an Ivy, but that's why I'm so conscious of people who don't want to be here, shouldn't need to be here, and are taking on soul crushingly huge debt solely because society places an unnecessarily large value on degrees. Particularly true for masters students, since undergrads here have good financial aid (though of course, Ivy's skewing to admit people who don't need the financial aid is a problem) and PhDs get paid for their work and full tuition wavers; I know plenty of masters students who are taking on 75k a year of debt in fields where the degree doesn't serve any real purpose. I regularly interact with absurdly rich people, but for every such person, there's 3 people shouldering crushing debt for no reason other than "it's what's done".

I was very privileged too to get Princeton fully paid for by my parents even though I didn't take full advantage of it, but I do think that Princeton does a good job of providing funding for everyone. When I was there about 50% of the students were grants and had work study and I never felt the work was degrading even though the jobs ranged from library clerk to kitchen staff. Princeton is lucky to have an endowment that can do something like that. However, I'm sure there were plenty of blue bloods at the school that looked down on them but didn't do things like spill food on the floor and demand they clean it up.

But when it's the government helping people it's tyranny. :rolleyes:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Obama's speech was pretty retarded and not at all surprising coming from him. https://popehat.com/2016/01/05/president-obama-and-the-rhetoric-of-rights/

Remember when Dems tended to be more skeptical of expansions to the no-fly list? Instead of like almost all dems in the Senate voting to expand it to guns? Good times.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

Obama's speech was pretty retarded and not at all surprising coming from him. https://popehat.com/2016/01/05/president-obama-and-the-rhetoric-of-rights/

Remember when Dems tended to be more skeptical of expansions to the no-fly list? Instead of like almost all dems in the Senate voting to expand it to guns? Good times.

Uhhhhh. He's actually only asking that Laws that are already on the Federal books be enforced.

Now, don't take this the wrong way (you will), but he actually knows Constitutional Law. I'm pretty sure he's not retarded and maybe you're just a little angry because 'GUNZ'. And I suggest you read the end of his post: He doesn't disagree with what Obama said, he only disagrees with the wording.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Rick_Hunter posted:

I was very privileged too to get Princeton fully paid for by my parents even though I didn't take full advantage of it, but I do think that Princeton does a good job of providing funding for everyone. When I was there about 50% of the students were grants and had work study and I never felt the work was degrading even though the jobs ranged from library clerk to kitchen staff. Princeton is lucky to have an endowment that can do something like that. However, I'm sure there were plenty of blue bloods at the school that looked down on them but didn't do things like spill food on the floor and demand they clean it up.

But when it's the government helping people it's tyranny. :rolleyes:

It definitely pays to be conscious of continuing degree creep though. Because while Princeton is indeed pretty good at undergraduate and doctoral funding; it makes an enormous amount of money from masters students. The only funding that ever makes the news is undergrad funding, hence why elite universities make a point of advertising how you don't pay anything you can't afford for bachelors degrees. But nothing is said of the aforementioned masters students who are paying $70k in tuition and living expenses in order to get jobs that 15 years ago only needed bachelors degrees.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

CommieGIR posted:

Uhhhhh. He's actually only asking that Laws that are already on the Federal books be enforced.

Now, don't take this the wrong way (you will), but he actually knows Constitutional Law. I'm pretty sure he's not retarded and maybe you're just a little angry because 'GUNZ'. And I suggest you read the end of his post: He doesn't disagree with what Obama said, he only disagrees with the wording.

My post is applies to his attitude whether or not the Second ever existed or how it's interpreted. "Only" disagreeing with poo poo wording on rights is a big disagreement.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

My post is applies to his attitude whether or not the Second ever existed or how it's interpreted. "Only" disagreeing with poo poo wording on rights is a big disagreement.

I seem to recall an Emancipation Proclamation doing something similar...

But either way, maybe you shouldn't cite a page that basically agrees with him and only disagrees with the wording and then go on about how retarded a Constitutional Lawyer is in interpreting the Constitution.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Constitutional Lawyer is in interpreting the Constitution.

TROPE 8!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

I seem to recall an Emancipation Proclamation doing something similar...

This is unclear. Doing something to similar to what?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This troper worries about a Slippery Slope.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Talmonis posted:

Do we really have a shortage of STEM graduates though? I've never seen any data supporting it and I thought it was just a talking point from the Zuckerbergs of the world who want unlimited H1-B visas.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Because a guy calling someone retarded for using his legal powers to enforce laws already on the books is so deep.

DeusExMachinima posted:

This is unclear. Doing something to similar to what?

It established a Government precedent, and since Obama's speech, regardless of the wording, was about laws already legally enforceable on the Federal law books, its not nearly as retarded as you'd like it to be.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mulva posted:

Yeah, he seriously does not understand privilege and is a big piece of poo poo about it.

What is so upsetting about this? #10?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Because a guy calling someone retarded for using his legal powers to enforce laws already on the books is so deep.

It established a Government precedent, and since Obama's speech, regardless of the wording, was about laws already legally enforceable on the Federal law books, its not nearly as retarded as you'd like it to be.

oh lawl. His EO was a total snooze if that's what you mean, sure. His speech obviously was about the additional hypothetical gun control he still believes in, and his arguments sucked balls from a rights-based perspective. As could be expected from his treatment of them and rationalizations on other topics in the past.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

zoux posted:

Space must flow.

I so very strongly pray that Carson ends up quoting a Gundam series like how Herman Cain quoted Pokemon. Elections need more anime.

zoux posted:

Now hang on a goddamn minute

Ann Coulter is a pandering moron, this is not a new development.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Someone posted an article about a vegan butcher shop opening up in their area. The accompanying picture of vegan steak looked worse than the fatty, gristled steaks you get from Golden Corral. :barf:

Isn't "vegan steak" just going to be a mash of something like black bean or tofu?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

oh lawl. His EO was a total snooze if that's what you mean, sure. His speech obviously was about the gun control he still believes in, and his arguments sucked balls from a rights-based perspective. As could be expected from his treatment of them and rationalizations on other topics in the past.

The laws he plans to enforce are already on the books

But yes, let's keep buying the slippery slope argument and continue with name calling. On the other hand, its retarded for you to think that doing nothing is actually worthwhile, or were you counting on more thoughts and prayers to do something?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 6, 2016

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Mr. Nice! posted:

What is so upsetting about this? #10?

Uh, how are people entitled to "the pursuit of happiness"? Is this another "I can't tell the difference between the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution" thing again?

And his BOOTSTRAPS manifesto is hilariously bad advice if you're not a ditch digger. I can't even imagine what a lovely life I'd lead if I volunteered for every project I could be apart of in the corporate world, or if I believed that "there are no bad jobs" so I would never advance my career.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 6, 2016

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Full Battle Rattle posted:

How are they going to get these desperately needed supplies to those brave patriots?

real talk i don't even like meat that much but I bet vegan jerky tastes like mid-shelf dog treats

It's actually fine. Like most meat substitutes for stuff like this, the flavor is in the seasoning and not from the meat itself. I doubt you'd even notice the difference.

PETA is still dumb as poo poo though since it's actually edible and useful (and probably tasty inasmuch as jerky can be tasty) so it's a terrible troll.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'm not sure about PETA so I gave money to the ASPCA or whoever it was that ran the abused animal commercial, and I felt they probably did something about it, whereas PETA would make an ad with Lena Dunham or something.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

But yes, let's keep buying the slipper slope argument and continue with name calling. On the other hand, its retarded for you to think that doing nothing is actually worthwhile, or were you counting on more thoughts and prayers to do something?

But that's the trip-up. Popehat wasn't talking about the actual actions, just the rhetoric. So people can waltz in and diss the actions as whimpy and low-energy while also decrying the words as bad America-hurting words.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

But yes, let's keep buying the slippery slope argument and continue with name calling. On the other hand, its retarded for you to think that doing nothing is actually worthwhile, or were you counting on more thoughts and prayers to do something?

The actual lesson, which is being demonstrated aptly, is that it's pointless to try to reason with gun people and instead you just have to go around them in order to actually do worthwhile things. Their whining means it's working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

The laws his EO concerned, yes. But come on, we know the speech was about wider gun control in topic as well.

quote:

But yes, let's keep buying the slipper slope argument and continue with name calling.

This terrible rights-based attitude is such a slippery slope. Next thing you know he'll be droning American citizens or pushing for more restrictions on what people on an unaccountable no-fly list can do. Oh wait.

quote:

On the other hand, its retarded for you to think that doing nothing is actually worthwhile, or were you counting on more thoughts and prayers to do something?

Mass shootings aren't worth doing anything about, so the efficacy of thoughts and prayers don't really come into it for me. And I value not creating victimless possession crimes aka prohibiting and confiscating handguns (which is what it'd take) over avoiding handgun violence. So nah on both.

• Locked thread