Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

I haven't called it the Light Side either, just the "Jedi-approved use" of the Force. Calling it the "Dark Side" automatically implies a "Light Side", which is why it's a bad name if the Dark Side isn't something that was supposed to exist. That's all my point is.

I just posted this in another thread but the Force is a religion. This is stated in-film. Jedi are effectively Paladins following or attempting to follow rules from their gods. The only difference is that for Jedi them falling means they get to keep their powers but almost universally at some personal emotional or physical cost. (And while I don't know D&D that well I know there's plenty of Paladin bullshit that attempts to do the same thing.)

That's pretty relevant to this thread where analyzing the Paladin thing is a big part of the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

imo it's less a religion and more a philosophy/code.

Jedi are more like monks than paladins in D&D.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Colonel Cool posted:

imo it's less a religion and more a philosophy/code.

Jedi are more like monks than paladins in D&D.

It is literally called a religion in the films. Multiple times in fact.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Monks follow religions. Anyway, are we taking bets as to whether the vampires try to eat everyone in the room or just Roy?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

ImpAtom posted:

I think he's drawing a line between theistic and nontheistic religions. Jedi follow a nontheistic religion.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Sorry, yes, that's what I meant. The Force might be something like Buddhism.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sefer posted:

I think he's drawing a line between theistic and nontheistic religions. Jedi follow a nontheistic religion.

Eh, not really. The Force has a will of its own. "Using" the Force for a Jedi is more akin to listening to it and letting it act through you.

It's pretty theistic. The Force is like some mixture of Abrahamic God and Brahman and it's adherents aspire to be Bodhisattva Space Paladins.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Cat Mattress posted:

And they're not afraid to play literal genie.
"You'll die when a house falls on you!"
"Hm, okay, I'll only live outdoors then."
*bird drops a tortoise on Aeschylus' head*

Honestly I'm really glad the oracle's prophecies avoid this. His prophecy to Haley was a straightforward piece of advice in a common idiom ("don't look the gift horse in the mouth"), which she took to heart and ended up getting her voice and happiness as a result. There was no horse involved. This is also why trying to weasel around "Belkar will draw his last breath ever before the end of the year" is not going to work; the oracle is just not that kind of prophet.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Oblivious posted:

Eh, not really. The Force has a will of its own. "Using" the Force for a Jedi is more akin to listening to it and letting it act through you.

It's pretty theistic. The Force is like some mixture of Abrahamic God and Brahman and it's adherents aspire to be Bodhisattva Space Paladins.

The only interesting application of that idea is the one Lucas hates from KOTOR 2 where there's a character who compares the Force to a parasitic entity using people like pawns. More relevantly, the Force leads itself to bad use of prophecy because being a magic power that exists through everyone, it can happily twist poo poo into whatever convoluted series of events needs to happen to make the prophecy come true. So important characters get plot armour and magical competence at whatever they need to be good at, while villains magically fail to notice obvious things and miss every shot.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The older I get the more tedious I I find Kreia's ramblings.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Rygar201 posted:

The older I get the more tedious I I find Kreia's ramblings.

:confused:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I was referring to the above KOTOR 2 post.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also I call real bullshit on the idea the dark side is some big magic cancer when the Sith order was spawned originally by people going "Hey let's not have to follow the old ways, lets have our own personal exploration of the force!" and getting exiled so they started their own cool guy club that eventually was run by a bunch of assholes.

Sith are just Jedi, Jedi are just sith. There's literally no difference between good things and bad things.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also I call real bullshit on the idea the dark side is some big magic cancer when the Sith order was spawned originally by people going "Hey let's not have to follow the old ways, lets have our own personal exploration of the force!" and getting exiled so they started their own cool guy club that eventually was run by a bunch of assholes.

Sith are just Jedi, Jedi are just sith. There's literally no difference between good things and bad things.

Diametrically opposed things are the same, if you think about it! :downs:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
From a certain point of view.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Does Goblins still exist?

I don't know if I can handle reading this many Star Wars threads at once.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

VodeAndreas posted:

Does Goblins still exist?

No. Hasn't updated since last year. Thunt is dead, again.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

What was the drama with Goblins again?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

He basically had a nervous breakdown stemming (at least in part) from people criticizing the skeevier parts of his comic, and more or less completely dropped off the web for the better part of a year.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, nerds, you're trying to find some deep meaning in a profecy that George "yeah, that sounds cool" Lucas wrote.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

trucutru posted:

Hey, nerds, you're trying to find some deep meaning in a profecy that George "yeah, that sounds cool" Lucas wrote.

Death of the Author, hth.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Thunt never truly dies. He lays in waiting. He is the darkness in the hearts of men. But there is a prophecy saying that one person will bring balance.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I gotta say the plot's starting to drag a little for me. It feels less like the action is moving forward and more like it's stalling into an endless series of "Roy tries this"/"Durkula has a contingency plan!" reversals.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

I gotta say the plot's starting to drag a little for me. It feels less like the action is moving forward and more like it's stalling into an endless series of "Roy tries this"/"Durkula has a contingency plan!" reversals.

It won't feel this way when you read it all at once in a year.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rygar201 posted:

Words of a sage

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Rygar201 posted:

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes"

"Isn't that itself an absolute, saying that no-one who's not a Sith ever deals in absolutes?"

"Shut up."

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

team overhead smash posted:

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes"

"Isn't that itself an absolute, saying that no-one who's not a Sith ever deals in absolutes?"

"Shut up."

Unless the Jedi saying it are actually Sith.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I love that line, because it really underlines everything wrong with the prequels.

...or everything right with the prequels if you watch it in a "fall of Rome" sort of way, where all the crazy bullshit that happens to the Jedi Order is just the final comeuppance for a ridiculously top-heavy and backwards bureaucracy.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah, I always thought it was funny that in the OT the light side being balanced and the Sith being an imbalance in and of themselves made sense because all the Jedi are pretty cool and easygoing guys and the Sith are weird sadistic ghouls. It's the PT that turns the Jedi Order into a bunch of joyless bureaucratic assholes who take you from your family at age five and then tell you you can literally never have sex or you're out of the good guy club forever.

Sheev was right, basically

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Jedi were the bad guys in the prequels. What thread am I in?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
From my point of view the paladins are evil

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah, I always thought it was funny that in the OT the light side being balanced and the Sith being an imbalance in and of themselves made sense because all the Jedi are pretty cool and easygoing guys and the Sith are weird sadistic ghouls. It's the PT that turns the Jedi Order into a bunch of joyless bureaucratic assholes who take you from your family at age five and then tell you you can literally never have sex or you're out of the good guy club forever.

Sheev was right, basically

Indeed, the organization presented as a corrupt and stagnant institution is precisely that. The Jedi in the prequels are not very good Jedi.

Where people go off the rails is when they extrapolate this to somehow mean the Sith are actually not evil.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Indeed, the organization presented as a corrupt and stagnant institution is precisely that. The Jedi in the prequels are not very good Jedi.

Where people go off the rails is when they extrapolate this to somehow mean the Sith are actually not evil.

Paladins=Bad, ergo Blackguards=Good (to the mind of a moron.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
When I saw forty-four new posts in this thread, I thought there was an update and was happy. Then I came in and discovered it was actually a bunch of people disingenuously talking past each other about Star Wars. This is very disappointing.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Star Wars is stupid.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

Star Wars is stupid.

No, I'm stupid.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I hope Rich is okay.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

It's the PT that turns the Jedi Order into a bunch of joyless bureaucratic assholes who take you from your family at age five and then tell you you can literally never have sex or you're out of the good guy club forever.

Reminder that Yoda literally tells Luke to let his friends die so he can stay there and complete his training instead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Colonel Cool posted:

Reminder that Yoda literally tells Luke to let his friends die so he can stay there and complete his training instead.
To be fair, kid did get owned. Yoda was totally right that he wasn't ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ultrafilter posted:

I hope Rich is okay.

Rich can't help you now. Welcome to the Mos Eisley Cantina, bitch.

(I brought up Star Wars, I'm very sorry)