Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Toxxupation posted:

at least one person has to survive to keep loot iirc

you can only keep trinkets from dead party members if one character survives (and wins, obvi) the fight to loot the corpses

Ahhh. So for a new player it's best to just churn through trash men going as deep as you can with minimal resource investment and just getting as many heirlooms/money/trinkets as you can, fleeing, then firing them all because they're stressed and stuff?

If that's the case, at what point should I consider keeping guys and starting to build them up/treating their stress in the facilities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Toxxupation posted:

at least one person has to survive to keep loot iirc

you can only keep trinkets from dead party members if one character survives (and wins, obvi) the fight to loot the corpses

Today I learned that if a character on death's door gets a dot, survives the fight, but then bleeds out while walking, you get a Victory! prompt and a chance to loot the trinkets s/he had

This was while I was trying jester / occultist / abomination / man-at-arms

It didn't work so good :(

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

pissdude posted:

Ahhh. So for a new player it's best to just churn through trash men going as deep as you can with minimal resource investment and just getting as many heirlooms/money/trinkets as you can, fleeing, then firing them all because they're stressed and stuff?

If that's the case, at what point should I consider keeping guys and starting to build them up/treating their stress in the facilities?

no, you...want to keep everyone alive

you want the exp from a completed quest, it's the by-far easiest way to power through content

levels make the difference between struggling through and totally crushing content, level 0s on level 1 quest are as strong as wet tissue paper. level 1s on level 1 will have a difficult time, but if they're an OP class/OP team setup will be more-or-less fine. level 2s on level 1 quests will just crush 'em, every time

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Throwing poorly-provisioned lvl 0s into the meat grinder is a good way to make some cash and heirlooms to start if you're having trouble. If you get some with good positive quirks and tolerable negative ones that survive to level up once or twice then consider upgrading their gear and abilities if you can afford it. There's no "right" time to do it, it depends how good each character is and if you're doing well enough to afford it. You'll definitely want to upgrade at least the gear and main skills of anyone who makes it to an intermediate dungeon though. As far as removing quirks goes I prioritise anything that makes them screw with curios like kleptomaniac etc. I hate having control taken away and losing out on valuable loot and if they mess with the wrong stuff they can pick up crippling stress or negative quirks.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 6, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I've now run into the Collector twice while dungeon diving, I'm on Week 27. I'm having a lot of fun even if I'm steering far away from anything outside of the Comfort Zone.

I think right now I'm trying to build up a good A/B/C team.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Onmi posted:

I've now run into the Collector twice while dungeon diving, I'm on Week 27. I'm having a lot of fun even if I'm steering far away from anything outside of the Comfort Zone.

I think right now I'm trying to build up a good A/B/C team.
Killed him twice too. Only dropped the money gem so far :(

Edit: Also devs said on the bug forum that the provisioner buying trinkets is fixed in the next patch.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 6, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Demiurge4 posted:

Killed him twice too. Only dropped the money gem so far :(

Edit: Also devs said on the bug forum that the provisioner buying trinkets is fixed in the next patch.

Huh, same. First time he took two of my party members and I had to quit the dungeon I believe, the second time I fought him off with no losses, but notably, the Crusader in the party during that fight wound up dying in the very next Dungeon due to going Fearful, while his two companions Steeled themselves and survived. Guess the Collector got him in the end.

FAKE EDIT: 3 Times, this time he ambushed me in the room prior to the Prophet, which meant I luckily had a chance to go camp and heal just before the boss. But still for the third time he only dropped his cash gem. Honestly I'm just thankful no one died. Especially as my only 'healer' was the Plague Doctor, who... frankly isn't much of a healer.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Onmi posted:

Huh, same. First time he took two of my party members and I had to quit the dungeon I believe, the second time I fought him off with no losses, but notably, the Crusader in the party during that fight wound up dying in the very next Dungeon due to going Fearful, while his two companions Steeled themselves and survived. Guess the Collector got him in the end.

FAKE EDIT: 3 Times, this time he ambushed me in the room prior to the Prophet, which meant I luckily had a chance to go camp and heal just before the boss. But still for the third time he only dropped his cash gem. Honestly I'm just thankful no one died. Especially as my only 'healer' was the Plague Doctor, who... frankly isn't much of a healer.

My plague doctor does great. I haven't seen any heads on the collector besides highwayman, vestal and man at arms. Does he use anyone else at all?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Is the Collector meant to drop anything other than the cash gem? I just assumed that was the only thing he dropped. A bit stingy given he's tougher than some bosses that give you a great trinket, but hey.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
He drops some trinkets, but they are all pretty bad. Dismas's head is the only one I would even consider using.

Dismas' Head (+25% DMG, -10% MAX HP, +20% Stress DMG Received)
Barristan's Head (+12.5% PROT, +20% Stress DMG Received)
Junia's Head (+30% HP Heal Received, +20% Stress DMG Received)

Barristan is apparently the canon name for the MMA, and Junia for the Vestal.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Demiurge4 posted:

My plague doctor does great. I haven't seen any heads on the collector besides highwayman, vestal and man at arms. Does he use anyone else at all?

I don't think so. Given how bad the AI is at controlling player classes when the Siren grabs them it's probably a good thing

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
I wish the game would factor the cost of stress reducing in town into the rewards section after a mission so I can better determine if I'm making a profit or not.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I don't think so. Given how bad the AI is at controlling player classes when the Siren grabs them it's probably a good thing

How DOES the AI control stolen player classes? It seems to be just 100% random what abilities they choose to use.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

the siren grabbed my houndmaster multiple times and did nothing with him but spam the stress heal.

nice use of your resources, lady.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

How DOES the AI control stolen player classes? It seems to be just 100% random what abilities they choose to use.

That's pretty much exactly it, I think the game just randomly picks any power, equipped or not, and fires that poo poo off

The floating heads are actual mobs with actual AI and abilities that make sense, and I assume they didn't want to do that for all of the classes

paranoid randroid posted:

the siren grabbed my houndmaster multiple times and did nothing with him but spam the stress heal.

yeah haha

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hey, just because we don't see the monsters' health bar doesn't mean they don't have one! Maybe being an horrific sea-dwelling hybrid was finally getting to her.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

paradoxGentleman posted:

Hey, just because we don't see the monsters' health bar doesn't mean they don't have one! Maybe being an horrific sea-dwelling hybrid was finally getting to her.
All monsters are actually just one good scare away from a heart attack, we just never knew that because player characters can't cause stress damage :tinfoil:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I want to stress the monsters out so bad.

Bring a sushi chef to the cove.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

I want to stress the monsters out so bad.

Bring a sushi chef to the cove.

bring guy fieri to the warrens

e. THIS DYN-O-MITE RACK O' RIBS IS POUNDED WITH GUYS SPECIAL BLEND OF HERBS AND SPICES, THEN SMOTHERED IN HIS SPECIAL "SAUCE ON THE BORDERLANDS" BBQ DRIZZLE

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

bring guy fieri to the warrens

e. THIS DYN-O-MITE RACK O' RIBS IS POUNDED WITH GUYS SPECIAL BLEND OF HERBS AND SPICES, THEN SMOTHERED IN HIS SPECIAL "SAUCE ON THE BORDERLANDS" BBQ DRIZZLE

If you guys had been kickstarter backers, you could have created a chef hero...

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

some weird cannibal chef skilled in the art of poisoning and cleavering would have been way cooler than TOTALLY NOT A WEREWOLF

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Soothing Vapors posted:

some weird cannibal chef skilled in the art of poisoning and cleavering would have been way cooler than TOTALLY NOT A WEREWOLF
Darkest Dungeon Meshi

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 6, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a cannibal chef would definitely be more of a stress-out to your team than a random monster doing transformation laps

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

Dismas's head is the only one I would even consider using.

hmm

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's his head in the sense that he owns it now.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Even Dismas' Head is sorta...well...bad

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

pissdude posted:

It is a solid option to take when all your normal crew are on the bench for whatever reason, or the only missions available for them are really crappy. As the other guy said, actually completing the quests is better since you get the rewards, which depending on how the run was can be half of your total take-away.

Learning curio interactions can really increase the amount of cash you're pulling out, if you want to figure it out on your own just try multiple supply items until you find one that works. Very few things have multiple options of using stuff on them. If you don't feel like doing that, this guide has the nicest menu option and keeps up to date better than any of the others I've seen: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=386706480 . Use that knowledge to take an appropriate amount of supply to each mission (different areas tend to use different things for curio).

Once you get better you'll usually be able to get level 0s through a mission, though taking 2 level 1s is a better call (2 level 0s, 2 level 1s or level 2s). 4 Level 1s with the first upgrade to skills/gear can take on any of the intro dungeons/bosses given a not terrible setup. A strong level 2 class can basically carry a team through most missions, and a lot of random party setups will power through stuff even if they're bad. Keeping a low level team around for when you want an easy run or need a week while people heal or need to level replacements is a good plan.

Keeping guys is a lot different than it used to be, since they adjusted costs to character level. Never keep anyone with kleptomania (or cure it if you really want to keep them, it is worth even a locked quirk cost) once you know curio interactions, then it is a sort of "do they have a pile of negative traits?" thing. Level 0 guys that didn't pass a quest I'd always dump, but even a level 1 guy can pretty easily earn his stress cure cost back. Level 1 skill/gear upgrades are dirt cheap and make a huge difference. If you don't plan to take the guy to level 3 places you can leave them on level 1 upgrades until they hit level 3 and chuck them.

If you beat a quest you can afford to stress relief all 4 guys, though again as you get better you won't need to as much. I wouldn't bother with quirk curing/locking stuff for the most part until much later, as you'll be running out of money as soon as you're trying to gear up for level 3 missions. There are some curio interactions that can remove negative quirks, and I think they tend to target the locked in ones first, so sometimes a good option is to go on a long mission to hunt for those.

Negative quirk interactions-

warrens - pile of scrolls - torch <-- note that it is a pile of SCROLLS not BOOKs
cove - eerie coral - medical herbs
all - eldritch altar - holy water

Go on a long warrens/cove mission depending on group setup. Warrens is a bit cheaper since you're using torches, but has a higher chance of getting a disease.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mzbundifund posted:

It's his head in the sense that he owns it now.

Honestly, I'm reminded of that one episode of Gargoyles when the old guy gets kidnapped and a statue gets put in his place. The statue eventually gets busted, and everyone's mourning him as dead when he shows back up, takes the statue's head, and says "I think I'll keep this as a souvenir. It's not many people that get to reclaim their head after they've lost it."

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Obviously the Collector is a time traveler and it's just his head from the future.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Pavlov posted:

Obviously the Collector is a time traveler and it's just his head from the future.
Raziel is the Soul Reaver

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Even Dismas' Head is sorta...well...bad

lol at your life if you're not using glass cannon trinkets 100% of the time

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

-10% HP is meaningless when you can stack all kinds of healing poo poo on the Vestal and heal for 6 across the whole party at level 1. The stress damage is easily countered by the Crusaders unshakeable leader camping skill and a host of other stress reduction stuff.

I just got a nice +12% accuracy Focus Ring and stuck it on a leper. It's tactical.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think I need to go through all my trinkets and just sell everything that has -SPD on it, confirm/deny?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It can be ok to have one or two -speed trinkets if you want to make sure one of your guys goes last. It can be nice if you want to do fun things like slot two crusaders into rows 2 and 3 and shuffledance them using holy lance. That sort of gimmick build is fun and can be effective, but it's certainly not necessary, especially if you have a need for more cash ASAP.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah there are legitimate reasons for wanting someone to go last, the two crusaders shuffling is a good one, the two highwaymen point blank shotting is another.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm short on dosh, yeah, mainly from a bad habit of unlocking every skill on every new recruit I take off the stagecoach

That and having a huge trinkets cabinet is making me OCD out so I figure might as well get rid of the crap :v:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm short on dosh, yeah, mainly from a bad habit of unlocking every skill on every new recruit I take off the stagecoach

What? no. this is a terrible loving idea. stop doing that.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
There's only like, a handful of classes where I'll actually switch skills depending on what I want to do.

Mostly it's just unlocking the 4 skills I always use on them and ignoring everything else.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Some trinkets are just straight up good with no downsides. Restraining Padlock reduces transformation stress by 25% for the party AND the abomination, the -8 dodge on Focus Ring is meaningless because it's obviously tailored for the leper who has 0 dodge anyway. Recovery charm gives +40% heals received with no downside, hell fasting seal can be pretty good on long runs where you want to maximize your inventory space for loot. A lot of the common and rare trinkets are bad because the downsides very closely match the bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Another reason to not sell off all your trinkets is so that if a run goes south you have backups, or if people gamble them away or some poo poo on you you have backups.

A lot of trinkets have -spd, versions that lack the -spd tend to not be giving as big of a boost (especially +dmg trinkets). Class also varies for how important speed is. Any stunning/disabling/etc person you usually want going as fast as possible. Faster is better for everyone of course, but turn order is spd+1d8 so there is always a bit of variability.

Trinkets with no downsides are nice, but the benefit they give is usually much weaker. For example recovery charm is great, but +40% to heals received isn't as big of a benefit as +25% dmg.

New guys don't need every skill right away, there are usually just one or two that you want for however you're using them. Do that, run some dungeons with them to make them earn those skills.