Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Berious posted:

I know SA had issues with reddit but https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus is prime reading right now. Even the megafans won't pay that. I'm sad though because this might kill VR development stone dead and I'll have less manchild toys to play with

It comes with a $55 XBONE controller and two games ($60 each of course) so the real price is $425 pretty cheap imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 2, 2016

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

lmao

why does the ship rotate around the pilot's seat i wonder????

From my sparse understanding of the Cryengine and Srcuff Puff insights i think what we are seeing is that the dot is the cryengine character (the camera of your viewpoint, since you dont really "exist" as anything more than a viewpoint, if you wish) as the point of rotation and the whole "ship" is just tacked to you like a giant suit of (broken) armor. Its like the Fallout 3 trick of making your train wagon a giant helmet on a larger scale.

In short, i think the ship is a cardboard box on a Cryengine FPS camera. The "dot" is the camera position. "Flight physics" is cheated on that point instead of applied to an object model. Its not the COM or COT since these things dont seem to exist as far as the game is concerned. Smoke and mirrors.

15$ games on Steam like "From the depths" have better physics.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Tippis posted:

Is there anywhere you can get per-day posting stats for a thread? It really feels like it has kicked off in the last week.

Not really sure how much of that I can see with my non-plat account. Still, I must have at least, like, 50% of all my posts made ITT since summer when I joined in, but I don't regret it one bit!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Fake Sandi sounds way nicer and more customer focused than Real Sandi

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

To be fair no one is ever gonna play the game.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

D_Smart posted:

They could claim it was manipulated, fake etc.

Well, can't they always claim that? I mean, without a digital signature, anything could technically be faked.

I want the plaintext ASAP for the Sandi-bot, is what I'm saying.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

Right now, there's a Thesis (Karl/Raess = Matilda) and Antithesis (Matilda = Sandi). But I think we are due for a Synthesis theory soon. I have one that I think makes a lot of sense but I really need to do more digging before I post it...

Stop trying to misdirect us, Sandi.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

BMan posted:

Sandi-bot

Thread is going dark places

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
derek when are you going to get a stream going again

I want to see you play some games

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

2DCAT posted:

Was #toopussytofacereality supposed to be an attack on Lowtax or the True Believers?

Lowtax for sucking DSmarts dick, Derek for being a married virgin, and all of us for being too stupid to understand the glory of CR and SC.

It was a pretty wicked hashburn. I feel appropriately chastised.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Berious posted:

Fake Sandi sounds way nicer and more customer focused than Real Sandi

Can Karl convince Sandi to go along with this? I want a refund.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Waiiiiiit a minute, WAAIIIIT A MINUTE........Sandi......S a n d i ...........kind of like Shaundi......in saints row 4 there were 2 shaundi's one was a laid back pot smoker and the other was an uptight miserablist, this is too much of a coincidence, get webdog on it asap, i'm gonna go root through dustbins for personal information.....

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Thread is going dark places

Fora system pleasure bot maid

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Eonwe posted:

derek when are you going to get a stream going again

I want to see you play some games

I wanna see him speedrun Wing Commander on AGDC

For charity

Just think of the comments

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
As much as it would be comical, I think Mathilda is just that slightly mental german. And as easy as it is to confuse Sandi with mentally unstable germans at times, there's more than one nut in a packet.

aleksendr posted:

From my sparse understanding of the Cryengine and Srcuff Puff insights i think what we are seeing is that the dot is the cryengine character (the camera of your viewpoint, since you dont really "exist" as anything more than a viewpoint, if you wish) as the point of rotation and the whole "ship" is just tacked to you like a giant suit of (broken) armor. Its like the Fallout 3 trick of making your train wagon a giant helmet on a larger scale.

In short, i think the ship is a cardboard box on a Cryengine FPS camera. The "dot" is the camera position. "Flight physics" is cheated on that point instead of applied to an object model. Its not the COM or COT since these things dont seem to exist as far as the game is concerned. Smoke and mirrors.

15$ games on Steam like "From the depths" have better physics.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.

But that would mean that all the bumpf about masses and thrusters and modelling ship movements and realistic flight models etc etc is flat out bullshit, has not been implemented, and probably never will be - and this is a jumped up model viewer with tweaked axis motion offsets. Where that crappy massless feeling isn't because the parameters need tweaking; it's that there is nothing to tweak except xyz speeds and easings. Where not having central axis of motion means that the hilarious crap about having to accurately model each ship by hand to ensure it moves 'realistically' hasn't been begun, let alone finished. Which leaves you with a lovely crysis map with a model of a ship jammed into the place of a model of a bloke with a gun, and a novel way of transitioning between maps.

And that all can't be true, can it, because it's nearly delivered, and just needs some little features added and a bit of polish.

e:

Lest ye forget: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639730&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=143#post432392770

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 6, 2016

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Iglocska posted:

For me it was the opposite, I was bummed out that they couldn't get the license initially and was happy when they finally got it. This way they'll definitely be able to reach a wider audience and if it's even close to the level of fun that HW1+2 was then they absolutely deserve it.
Fair enough!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

G0RF posted:

Right now, there's a Thesis (Karl/Raess = Matilda) and Antithesis (Matilda = Sandi). But I think we are due for a Synthesis theory soon. I have one that I think makes a lot of sense but I really need to do more digging before I post it...
Like I mentioned yesterday, I could see Matilda being Sandi being possible (if doubtful) but only if the background info for Matilda2013 was stolen from Raess2014. The stated education and work experience combination is rather unique.

I'm curious about what theory you'll present.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

G0RF posted:

Maybe Star Citizen is actually an ARG. :tinfoil:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Don't we have enough of Sandi and Matilda's writing to determine if the same person is writing these things?

http://www.hackerfactor.com/GenderGuesser.php

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Moogle posted:

But that would mean that all the bumpf about masses and thrusters and modelling ship movements and realistic flight models etc etc is flat out bullshit, has not been implemented, and probably never will be - and this is a jumped up model viewer with tweaked axis motion offsets. Where that crappy massless feeling isn't because the parameters need tweaking; it's that there is nothing to tweak except xyz speeds and easings. Where not having central axis of motion means that the hilarious crap about having to accurately model each ship by hand to ensure it moves 'realistically' hasn't been begun, let alone finished. Which leaves you with a lovely crysis map with a model of a ship jammed into the place of a model of a bloke with a gun, and a novel way of transitioning between maps.

And that all can't be true, can it, because it's nearly delivered, and just needs some little features added and a bit of polish.

I'm convinced that this is the case, and it's all an illusion. You can't simulate the physics of a gravity-free and friction-free vacuum environment in an engine that was designed for small, earth-gravity areas, just by setting gravity=0 in the globals. Not to mention ships with mass values, and size values, far beyond what the engine was made for. Not to mention the physics of flight itself, with an engine designed to walk, or drive, around on solid ground. It's a giant hack.

They're simulating a Photoshop job by using MSPaint, and just zooming in really closely and changing one pixel at a time.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 6, 2016

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
If English isn't Matilda's first language, why does [gender pronoun here] use the word ilk? It doesn't seem like a word that would be common.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

G0RF posted:

Consider this post from 4 days ago. It's worth noting primarily because of the enormous umbrage Matilda takes at the goings-on here. (Competent English back in force...)
I like how they're confused about the posts about Karl. It's not obsession, it's just posting. Gotta post. What to post? "gently caress you, Karl!" Job done.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

In other news...

"Call of Duty could suffer at hands of Star Citizen"

quote:

CALL of Duty may be one of the most popular games on the market right now, but that could change later this year thanks to upcoming title Star Citizen.

The $100 million space simulator from Cloud Imperium Games is one of the most anticipated games of 2016 and is set to take the PC world by storm. In fact, Cloud Imperium Games are so confident that Star Citizen will be a resounding success that creator Chris Roberts believes the game's FPS mode will be 'more lethal' than Call of Duty. 'Star Marine' will allow players to incorporate stealth into their tactics, giving the FPS mode more depth and ultimately an advantage over the latest Call of Duty title 'Black Ops 3'.

Roberts explained: "[Stealth] is part of the core design. We are trying to make the FPS gameplay itself be more tactical, less just 'run and gun'. Especially since it is more lethal than you would normally expect with a Call of Duty or something.

"We actually have some gadgets which are good for stealth and distractions. We're going through and reactivating and polishing them from Star Marine and they will also debut with Star Marine. But we have the hologram gadget where you can put up a hologram version of yourself and you can be off sneaking somewhere else. We are going to have definite things that will help you with hiding your radar and noise signature, or heat signature, and stuff like that. So we definitely want that. We have vents where you can sneak around or crawl around in and outflank people and do stuff like that."

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 6, 2016

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

spacetoaster posted:

Don't we have enough of Sandi and Matilda's writing to determine if the same person is writing these things?

http://www.hackerfactor.com/GenderGuesser.php

quote:

Verdict: Weak MALE

Well, that's just peachy.

Gosh, I hope nobody spent too much on this.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Moogle posted:

I'm of two minds about all this. On the one hand, I genuinely think they're trying to (or, more accurately, have previously tried to) create an overcomplicated sim-based engine to drive it all, but on the other hand, I'm also fairly certain that the people actually doing it (i.e. not Chris) have long since realised that it's a bad and stupid way of trying to get the result they want so they've obviously cheated it all like crazy.

Of course, the sane, sensible and good thing would be to cheat it, so that's not a problem in and of itself. It's just that there's no way of telling how many mirrors you'll fall through as you stumble through the smoke. So while I'd like to believe that it's not actually as ridiculously cheated as you're proposing, I'll have to admit that it would certainly explain a lot if they had gone to that extreme as the panicked realisation sets in that the other extreme won't work.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I personally think the reason Karl is super defensive about Sandi is because he has a correspondence with her and thinks she actually gives a poo poo about him, as many SC whales do. His posting style is still too idiosyncratic of someone who didn't learn english as a first language for me to buy that it's Sandi. I think when she wants to vent on the internet she just makes burner accounts and noone notices because her thought process, as it turns out, is literally indistinguishable from a generic SC redditor.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

I'm of two minds about all this. On the one hand, I genuinely think they're trying to create an overcomplicated sim-based engine to drive it all, but on the other hand, I'm also fairly certain that the people actually doing it (i.e. not Chris) have long since realised that it's a bad and stupid way of trying to get the result they want so they've obviously cheated it all like crazy.

Of course, the sane, sensible and good thing would be to cheat it, so that's not a problem in and of itself. It's just that there's no way of telling how many mirrors you'll fall through as you stumble through the smoke. So while I'd like to believe that it's not actually as ridiculously cheated as you're proposing, I'll have to admit that it would certainly explain a lot if they had gone to that extreme as the panicked realisation sets in that the other extreme won't work.

It's not that far-fetched if you think of all the early members of the project, as starry-eyed and optimistic as anyone would be, who left one by one. I don't think the toxic environment is the only reason. It's not hard to imagine them being told all these ridiculous pie-in-the-sky ideas and them saying, "You want us to do what, now? In this engine? But it wasn't..." and then angry glares and "make it work" coming down from above. Leaving relatively early in a project is usually reserved for the experienced people who have learned over the years how to spot the early signs of failure. So who's left? The people willing to do what they've been told, which is "make it work." I've worked in places where 25% of the code is appropriate and elegant, and 75% is hacked scripts and tricks to emulate the desired result. It's not wrong to do so per se, after all, the only thing that matters is the customer's end experience.

In this case, though, the end experience is impacted. Severely. If they can continue to hack this enough that I'm convinced it's a realistic space flight sim, more power to them - I won't really care how they did it. But since it sucks immeasurably, I can't help but dig in to think of reasons why.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Also, on the cognitive dissonance front. A post by Macharial420, who at Space Marshal tier has spent $5000+ on space pixels...

quote:

REDDIT: "A thought for every one yesterday who attacked the Occulus doubters..."

So... When people like me said this is why Star Citizen doesn't have a publisher, and just how evil and greedy Zuckerberg is, and how he will effect the launch... this is what we were talking about.

Thanks for the hostile closed minded personal attacks over a product that from the looks of it has very already lost the market's interest until the price goes down less than 6 hours after it's launch... I'm sure you must all be defending him and the price point just as stalwartly today.

I mean, "it's good hardware".

I'm sure many of you even took the time to come back, and correct the slander you dumped on any one with a questioning opinion. Thank you for taking the time to do that. It means a lot when people stand by their conviction enough to attack opposing viewpoints and then admit they were wrong. Looking at yourself in the mirror after an act of humility like that must be inspiring.

This is why you need to learn to not blindly follow a project and just what effect a 'publisher' actually has on a product.

And please, let the rest of us know how that $700 headset is while we patiently wait out the Vive.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Moogle posted:

Well, that's just peachy.

I got weak female and possibly european

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizens arguing about how welcoming /r/starcitizen is or should be: A friendly reminder to be friendly to new people.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Have you seen the video for landing on these procedurally generated planets? Actually looks pretty good, very smooth, then the video ends and you realise they didn't show the player doing anything on the planet. Just landing.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Moogle posted:

Hoo boy, just clocked this. That's... really quite blatant, isn't it?

Poor buggers really think this a foundation of what's to come.

Even before seeing that it's been obvious that the ship is just a giant helmet in a zero G FPS. All the talk about thrusters and physics and what not is complete bullshit.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I personally think the reason Karl is super defensive about Sandi is because he has a correspondence with her and thinks she actually gives a poo poo about him, as many SC whales do. His posting style is still too idiosyncratic of someone who didn't learn english as a first language for me to buy that it's Sandi. I think when she wants to vent on the internet she just makes burner accounts and noone notices because her thought process, as it turns out, is literally indistinguishable from a generic SC redditor.

This. Not to say that the :tinfoil: speculation isn't amusing, but come on goons.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Mirificus posted:

Star Citizens arguing about how welcoming /r/starcitizen is or should be: A friendly reminder to be friendly to new people.

This seems relevant.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Moogle posted:

Where not having central axis of motion means that the hilarious crap about having to accurately model each ship by hand to ensure it moves 'realistically' hasn't been begun, let alone finished. Which leaves you with a lovely crysis map with a model of a ship jammed into the place of a model of a bloke with a gun, and a novel way of transitioning between maps.

e:

Lest ye forget: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639730&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=143#post432392770

Also all the cheating must be redone if you publish a new module that should affect flight model (thrusters, engines, ect).

Star Citizen : a lovely crysis map with a model of a ship jammed into the place of a model of a bloke with a gun.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zpruf/someone_asked_me_what_i_thought_of_star_citizen/

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

aleksendr posted:

Also all the cheating must be redone if you publish a new module that should affect flight model (thrusters, engines, ect).

Star Citizen : a lovely crysis map with a model of a ship jammed into the place of a model of a bloke with a gun.

There doesn't seem to be any inertia either. Even if they suddenly realized "we put center of mass in wrong place LOL I've been doing center of mass since I was a very small girl" and fixed that, there's still the issue of the janky, instantaneous, inertialess movement these ships make at the slightest provocation. If you decide to rotate in place, for example, there should be inertial resistance to that rotation relative to the mass of the ship. In this game, you just spin. You'd also expect when you try to stop rotating, you have to fight the inertial tendency of an object in motion to stay in motion, and take time to overcome the mass to stop spinning. In this game, you just stop. And then you vibrate in place. And then you crash. To desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Berious posted:

I know SA had issues with reddit but https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus is prime reading right now. Even the megafans won't pay that. I'm sad though because this might kill VR development stone dead and I'll have less manchild toys to play with

Yeah, it's glorious reading. Palmer said "more than $350 but in that ballpark" back in Oct, now it's suddenly 741 eurodollars with shipping.

(I preordered anyway :shepicide:)

• Locked thread