Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Has anyone else had their Cricket cycle reset like 10 days earlier then it's supposed to? I'd call but I've heard their customer service is a super pain and I haven't really had any problems otherwise

They have chat support you could try. It's not much better than phone support, but at least you can do other stuff during it. My billing has been consistent the whole time I've been with Cricket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

poo poo, yeah I'm super late on updating this thread...

I've got a bunch of work to do.

Anyway, it looks like GoPhone will get an update in its data plans:

$45/mo plan will jump from 1.5GB of LTE to 2GB.
$60/mo plan will jump from 4GB of LTE to 5GB.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
But the GoPhone service doesn't have the same reliability / signal strength as post-paid AT&T, correct?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

But the GoPhone service doesn't have the same reliability / signal strength as post-paid AT&T, correct?

I don't see why/how it couldn't without costing AT&T serious cash in implementing that. Basically it seems GoPhone has finally matched the Cricket offering, at least the mid range.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I don't see why/how it couldn't without costing AT&T serious cash in implementing that. Basically it seems GoPhone has finally matched the Cricket offering, at least the mid range.

Not exactly.

Cricket pricing (excluding $5 autopay credit):

$40 for 2.5gb
$50 for 5gb
$60 for 10gb.

You're throttled to 8mbit on LTE and after you hit your data cap it's throttled to 128kbit.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Gophone also has tax on top too I believe.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

nimper posted:

Cricket pricing (excluding $5 autopay credit):

$40 for 2.5gb
$50 for 5gb
$60 for 10gb.

Or if you've got 5 people on your plan it would be $20/$30/$40 respectively, which is a really hard to beat deal.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Sorry if this was already posted (since I just noticed), but Harbor Mobile is up now with their AT&T plans, and they look pretty competitive.

Downside is that they actually bother to ask for some sort of business verification now (EIN or establishment letter), rather than just going "Oh yeah, I swear I'm a business". As far as I know there wouldn't be any tax implications for having a mobile business plan, so I don't know what would stop you from using any old EIN you can find, but IANAL.

$22/Mo.
Unlimited Talk & Text
1GB Uncapped 4G LTE Data + Mobile HotSpot

$27 for 2.5GB

$35 for 4.5GB

$50 for 10GB

$27 for a 5GB tablet plan

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's basically same price as Cricket since you can juggle between plans to double your Cricket data allotment.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

whatever7 posted:

It's basically same price as Cricket since you can juggle between plans to double your Cricket data allotment.

I haven't tried doing this yet but then again I don't use so much data.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

whatever7 posted:

What? Can you explain?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

tonic posted:

What? Can you explain?

Changing your plan on cricket resets your data allowance. So if you're on the 5gb/month plan and switch in the middle of the month to the 10gb/month, you'll get a fresh 10gb of data.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Athenry posted:

Changing your plan on cricket resets your data allowance. So if you're on the 5gb/month plan and switch in the middle of the month to the 10gb/month, you'll get a fresh 10gb of data.

However, the cost of changing is prorated so if you change on the 20th for a plan that's $10 more you're only paying like $3 and change and they reset your meter anyway. Great for vacations and stuff.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If you drop down to a lower plan, then back up to the plan you were on, it just resets your data usage without extra billing, right?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you drop down to a lower plan, then back up to the plan you were on, it just resets your data usage without extra billing, right?

Yeah, and get a 30 cent credit I think.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Do you have to do this before you hit the cap?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mr Newsman posted:

Do you have to do this before you hit the cap?

Can do it at any point. Before or after. It's very flexible. Only downside is that I struggled to do the change in the app itself as they don't have the webpage be mobile friendly and I couldn't check a certain box to move forward.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
Just got a carrier update on cricket and now see an option for hotspot in iOS. Directs you to the website that offers it for $10/month per line. Maybe this is old news, but I wasn't aware of it until now. Cool that it's there but at that price it isn't worth it for me.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hotspot was once forbidden to prepaid customers, now is spreading rapidly. Boost Mobile to enable Hotspot for free on all plans. Unlimited plans are limited to 8GB of Hotspot (insert joke about how nobody can download 8GB in a month on the Sprint network).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

poppingseagull posted:

Just got a carrier update on cricket and now see an option for hotspot in iOS. Directs you to the website that offers it for $10/month per line. Maybe this is old news, but I wasn't aware of it until now. Cool that it's there but at that price it isn't worth it for me.

Very nice. But I finally jumped through all the hoops to get a Verizon hotspot from my work since I thought it was a lost cause. Nice to know with a few clicks I can have it locally though. Cricket really is the best of the best.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

poppingseagull posted:

Looks like it's also not allowed on the $40/2.5GB plan. You have to jump up to $50, in addition to paying another $10.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

Looks like it's also not allowed on the $40/2.5GB plan. You have to jump up to $50, in addition to paying another $10.

Still a really good deal overall. I like that the $50 plan works seamlessly in Mexico. Was there on a vacation last week and had no connectivity issues.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cbirdsong posted:

Or you can root your phone and install Wifi Tether Router.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Metropcs includes hotspot on all their plans for $0 extra

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rastor posted:

Hotspot was once forbidden to prepaid customers, now is spreading rapidly.

Yeah, even Republic has tethering (hotspot, usb or bluetooth) enabled by default for free now. (Well, on all phones with Lollipop at least, but they're rolling out that upgrade to the last few old phone models now). But since Republic's entire shtick is dirt-cheap phone plans by offloading as much as possible onto wifi, the tethering there is best suited to occasional light use. Which is about perfect for me. My bill from Republic is about fourteen bucks a month since I barely use any data; there's wifi I can use at most of the places I go, and my usage on the road is mostly an occasional google map or a little bit of Ingress. But it'll be awesome to have tethering available just in case, especially if something breaks at work while I'm on call.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

T-Mobile just bumped the data on their no-contract plans:

Unlimited T/T/D plus
-3GB LTE $40
-5GB LTE $50
-10GB LTE $60

Includes Music Freedom which is handy

e: Looks like they charge taxes and fees unlike the MVNOs, so MetroPCS is still a better deal if you want T-Mobile service.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 28, 2016

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

poppingseagull posted:

I don't get the option and Cricket chat support claims they don't support this feature on non-Cricket devices. Were you actually able to purchase it?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
If you have an unlocked device with hotspot capability, you can set up a hotspot using a cricket sim without paying the $10/month. I have done this on an Asus Zenfone 2 multiple times with zero issues.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

MrKatharsis posted:

If you have an unlocked device with hotspot capability, you can set up a hotspot using a cricket sim without paying the $10/month. I have done this on an Asus Zenfone 2 multiple times with zero issues.
This doesn't work on a Moto X Pure (unlocked)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

MrKatharsis posted:

That depends on the device. I could do it on my Nexus 5, but not my 6p.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Athenry posted:

That depends on the device. I could do it on my Nexus 5, but not my 6p.
Marshmallow implemented a check with the carrier for tethering. It's dumb because as far as I know there's no way to tell cricket that I'd like to even pay for tethering with my own device, but my phone says "hey you're not paying for this so you can't use it" (even though there's no option for me to pay for it). I'm sure I could call them but :effort:

e: if you have an unlocked bootloader, XDA has this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/how-to-unlock-tethering-android-4-4-to-t3227206

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Mr Newsman posted:

Marshmallow implemented a check with the carrier for tethering. It's dumb because as far as I know there's no way to tell cricket that I'd like to even pay for tethering with my own device, but my phone says "hey you're not paying for this so you can't use it" (even though there's no option for me to pay for it). I'm sure I could call them but :effort:

e: if you have an unlocked bootloader, XDA has this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/how-to-unlock-tethering-android-4-4-to-t3227206

My nexus 5 on marshmallow seems to tether just fine, but that might be because I was tethering to another Android device.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

cbirdsong posted:

I don't get the option and Cricket chat support claims they don't support this feature on non-Cricket devices. Were you actually able to purchase it?

I didn't try. But maybe you didn't get the carrier update yet? No clue how those are pushed out, could be regional.

Tech support is literally worthless. I think them claiming they don't support leads me to believe the opposite.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Syrinxx posted:

T-Mobile just bumped the data on their no-contract plans:

Unlimited T/T/D plus
-3GB LTE $40
-5GB LTE $50
-10GB LTE $60

Includes Music Freedom which is handy

e: Looks like they charge taxes and fees unlike the MVNOs, so MetroPCS is still a better deal if you want T-Mobile service.

Can someone explain why these are better priced than the postpaid plans and why you wouldn't pick them?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Is something the matter with Boost?

I want to get myself and my daughter phones, and it looks like the Boost family plan is $70 for 2 lines with 5gb each, plus free streaming music. I'd get an iphone 5S and she wants the Lumia windows phone. Tell me why this is a bad idea for a casual user.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Beerdeer posted:

Is something the matter with Boost?

I want to get myself and my daughter phones, and it looks like the Boost family plan is $70 for 2 lines with 5gb each, plus free streaming music. I'd get an iphone 5S and she wants the Lumia windows phone. Tell me why this is a bad idea for a casual user.

Boost runs on the Sprint network. If you have good Sprint coverage, go for it.
If you travel a lot or live outside a city, don't.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
What is the best deal on a pre-paid Android smartphone at the moment?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I have a question for those of you under a Cricket group plan with a bunch of strangers you met on the Internet. From what I understand each individual can log in and pay their share, but are they also able to see the names and addresses of other people under the account?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Butt Savage posted:

I have a question for those of you under a Cricket group plan with a bunch of strangers you met on the Internet. From what I understand each individual can log in and pay their share, but are they also able to see the names and addresses of other people under the account?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Got to thinking today. I have a $9.99 Moto E (Verizon, changed to work with T-Mo via adb). Also have the Walmart 5gig nerd plan on T-Mo prepaid.

Music freedom and Binge On ARE included on this plan.

This means I could use it as my mobile media player in the car (Music Freedom apps) and out and about (Netflix/Amazon Video Binge On) as an unlimited buffet. Literally streaming 24/7, using no data for only $30/month.

Tempted to drop down my AT&T plan a ton for this. Any holes in this plan? Seems too good to be true.

Also, it looks like Walmart/T-Mo may be phasing out the $30 nerd plan. I had to drive all over town to find one in stock and the walmart website says discontinued (I think). Get it while you can I guess (assuming the hidden web sign up stays).