Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

hooman posted:

That is loving sweet! Those colors and lines are so crisp.

Until you turn it over, I might have taken less time on that side. :ohdear:

I loving lost it at the micro-chimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Kai Tave posted:

Man, all this talk of people with like six stores that play X-Wing and league tournaments and stuff just makes me depressed that I have like three other people I get to infrequently play with.

I have four local shops that play X-Wing, and while one of them (the one running a fairly large ~STORE LEAGUE~) has the highest number of active players, there is also a very large amount of overlap between the stores' crowds. It's basically the same dozen guys, plus the extras who only go to the big store, plus about a half-dozen or so of us newer players. The league I joined last night has ~20 entries, for example.

I play a lot of fighting games (SFIV mostly) at the local video gaming... lounge? It isn't really an arcade, but it's a reasonable facsimile thereof. Anyway there are way more people who enter those weekly tournies than I saw playing Wangs last night.

Finster Dexter posted:

Start a local X-wing facebook group. Go to each store and tell them to pimp the facebook group to anybody that comes in and buys X-wing stuff. That's what sucked me into the local events.

This is essentially what separates them. The store league locally:
- Is still ~25min. from my apartment, so it might not be the truest definition of "local"
- Has a really anemic-looking forum they use for scheduling and player communication
- Is otherwise propagated by word of mouth or people actively looking for X-Wing nights, rather than X-Wing nights looking for players

I usually don't want to be the guy evangelizing a game to others, but X-Wing is really good, so I feel less bad doing it for FFG. I feel like they're a good company to Give Money.

w/r/t X-Wing selling very quickly in your local game shop, X-Wing seems to sell out completely at the four-ish local stores that stock it a couple of days after inventory arrives, but I have no way of knowing if it's a variety of different players or one/two guys buying multiples of ships for extra minis or upgrade cards they like. It could very likely be the latter, both here and at your own nearby store. At the store league last night, the same guy bought like $175 of stuff to field his (janky-looking) squad, which was a pretty decent chunk of their remaining inventory.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
There are at least five local stores that carry Wangs here, and they were all pretty much sold out when I went shopping this weekend.

Still I managed to spend way too much money and have gone from this:

To this:

I think I have a problem.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Our largest local Star Wars games facebook group of 200 or so people had a big long argument not too long ago when some dude posted that he was frustrated with the number of local games stores continuously dropping the ball on acquiring tournament kits from FFG or running events past "open play on Wednesdays in our cramped and smelly back room." He expressed that he didn't see why he'd ever pay MSRP for wangs at these stores if they weren't even going to bother getting events together for him to come play at. The group immediately exploded with comments about how if he wanted a store championship to happen in his area, he should have done it himself, support local businesses, keep better tabs on FFG press releases and notify his flgs, etc. Basically putting the onus on him, as a player who is disappointed that the half dozen or so stores in the area with decent space for tournaments (and who sell tons of x-wing stuff) just didn't bother setting one up this year, to organize the event himself.

It seems to me that if you're in the business of slangin wangs, you'd keep better track of the official events and use them to draw in more people.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

TKIY posted:

Yeah you do; lack of ship diversity :v:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

I'm disappointed that no one at all commented on shooting 7 red dice out of an A-wing. Clearly I have to up my game.

Respectfully, I don't see the special synergy at play here. I see that you added 2 to 5 and got 7. There's also a lot of "possibly" and "likely" in getting the doom shot lined up. Why not use any other Garven-feeding-Jake plan? Or stack Opportunist + Jan on like Ibitsam or Keyan with HLC for a 6 die Range 3 with rerolls/pseudo-focus kind of deal? Or whatever. I don't even actually own Jan so I may not understand her use. Your list and meta discussion posts are quite good but this one confuses me a bit.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Jan, when flying the hwk, if she has no stress can add one red dice to a friendly shooting

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Reynold posted:

[...] comments about how if he wanted a store championship to happen in his area, he should have done it himself, support local businesses, keep better tabs on FFG press releases and notify his flgs, etc. Basically putting the onus on him, as a player who is disappointed that the half dozen or so stores in the area with decent space for tournaments (and who sell tons of x-wing stuff) just didn't bother setting one up this year, to organize the event himself.

This is one of those things I don't quite grasp about the "game shop" environment, because it's something I've seen come up more than once - someone who is part of a miniatures crowd (or an underplayed CCG crowd) bemoans the lack of infrastructural support, then immediately gets put on blast by, ostensibly, the other members of the same community for not doing the legwork himself. I've never gotten this mentality and I still don't get it, and I think it's owed to the battered-housewife attitude that gamers seem to sometimes adopt by default, tabletop or videogames or whatever - "We're lucky we got anything at all" is a throughline that strikes me as super-duper troubling. Like, no, you aren't lucky, they are a company and you give them money and if they don't do what you like you are fully within your rights to stop giving them money and not think of yourself as blessed to have had the opportunity to give them money in the first place. I really like FFG and X-Wing, but I do not feel any inherent "loyalty" to a game shop simply because I live within thirty minutes of their location. They have to provide a service to me beyond just "you can spend money here" or else there is no discernible reason to spend money there when I can go on Amazon and get the same product for dramatically less money.

I'm enthusiastic about X-Wing and I like the game and collecting the dudes. It's cool! But if I'm organizing an event myself and encouraging others to buy product to attend this event because I want my investment to pay off in that I can play against other people - I mean, if I'm doing that, I'm telling them to buy stuff online for cheap and to meet me at a venue that isn't "concrete warehouse converted into a store" or "what used to be a Claire's Boutiques, judging by the size." If the general consensus is "do it yourself," then I'd honestly rather have people go to Amazon and come to my fuckin' home than buy stuff at a shop with no infrastructural support simply because that's what you're ~supposed to do.~

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Reynold posted:

Our largest local Star Wars games facebook group of 200 or so people had a big long argument not too long ago when some dude posted that he was frustrated with the number of local games stores continuously dropping the ball on acquiring tournament kits from FFG or running events past "open play on Wednesdays in our cramped and smelly back room." He expressed that he didn't see why he'd ever pay MSRP for wangs at these stores if they weren't even going to bother getting events together for him to come play at. The group immediately exploded with comments about how if he wanted a store championship to happen in his area, he should have done it himself, support local businesses, keep better tabs on FFG press releases and notify his flgs, etc. Basically putting the onus on him, as a player who is disappointed that the half dozen or so stores in the area with decent space for tournaments (and who sell tons of x-wing stuff) just didn't bother setting one up this year, to organize the event himself.

That's hosed up. Nerds are the worst, because that guy has a total point.

We have one really nice store locally, and I always go there, because it's not some smell-rear end cramped back room. I buy my wangs there, too, because I want to keep them in business. I drive 15-20 minutes to get there, too.

If the only option was the lovely store down the road (I could walk there), I wouldn't be playing wangs at all.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I dunno man. I'm not interested at all in having a bunch of asscrack hangin cargo short nerds in my own house. I'm glad my FLGS runs really good leagues and tournaments.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

guts and bolts posted:

First of all, I have no idea what MOV is or how to calculate it

Basically it's a measure of how well you did by how many points you had left at the end minus how many your opponent had left. Big ships are worth half points if they are down to half their total life (i.e. shields and hull)... probably. The latest round of FAQ actually made it less clear.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

alg posted:

I dunno man. I'm not interested at all in having a bunch of asscrack hangin cargo short nerds in my own house. I'm glad my FLGS runs really good leagues and tournaments.

If you have a good league and tournament scene, why would you invite anyone to your house? :confused: The point was "if a shop isn't giving you infrastructural support, it is not incumbent upon you, a consumer, to effectively act as a freebie employee of that shop by organizing your own tournaments and events at that shop to drum up their business and/or earn the privilege of spending money at that shop." Also our Wangs crowd differs dramatically if yours is

quote:

a bunch of asscrack hangin cargo short nerds

EDIT:^^^^ Hm. So that effectively prioritizes turtle-y play if you think you're running up near the time limit, unless I'm mistaken. It also seems to disproportionately punish daring bad pilots if they, say, accidentally fly a mostly-intact Han Solo off the map, since that's a 62 pt. loss that my opponent didn't even destroy. :(

EDIT2: I mean actually that makes way more sense than the alternative of "only count points for ships you've destroyed" because then whomever destroyed a ship first would win as the rest of their army intentionally flew off the map. That would be horrible. Or maybe each pilot card should earn points for what they've destroyed, and you lose those points if that pilot is himself destroyed or flees a battle, and regardless of points whomever has zero ships on the battlefield first must lose the game? I'm dumb and I need a second to digest this, and to look up more MOV stuff

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 6, 2016

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TKIY posted:

Not yet you don't but it's nothing you can't solve with a better storage solution when the time comes!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Reynold posted:

It seems to me that if you're in the business of slangin wangs, you'd keep better track of the official events and use them to draw in more people.

Around here (MN) it's a combination of both. Lots of stores keep an eye out for this sort of thing, but we also tend to remind stores, especially since some of the windows (like for Store Champs) can be pretty short. We also work with the local stores to ensure that Store Champs are arranged on weekends that won't conflict with other stores, or even with some other game tournaments, like Armada. Store owners have a LOT to keep tabs on, so a reminder from players can really be appreciated. We also have a ton of awesome stores around here though, with 9 store championships at least, and a few more stores that didn't apply but run regular events.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

SuperKlaus posted:

Respectfully, I don't see the special synergy at play here. I see that you added 2 to 5 and got 7. There's also a lot of "possibly" and "likely" in getting the doom shot lined up. Why not use any other Garven-feeding-Jake plan? Or stack Opportunist + Jan on like Ibitsam or Keyan with HLC for a 6 die Range 3 with rerolls/pseudo-focus kind of deal? Or whatever. I don't even actually own Jan so I may not understand her use. Your list and meta discussion posts are quite good but this one confuses me a bit.

7 dice is the most you can ever roll in a non epic game, and this (A-wing/Procket/Jan/Opportunist, the others being Miranda/APT/Jan and either X or B-wings/APT/Jan/Opportunist) is one of exactly three ways to do it. It's also the most versatile way to do it, requires the least actions, the most maneuverability, and it's 7 red dice out of a goddamn A-wing. :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Rolling a bucket of dice on an A-Wing attack truly warms my heart

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah you do; lack of ship diversity :v:

I bought five starters at a ridiculous price. Having said that, I am now fully capable of running Howlrunner and 10 Academy Pilots should the need ever arise. I consider this a plus.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

TKIY posted:

Yeah you need some Scum and Villany son, shits comin in on the next boat save your pennies.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

A friend of mine used to run a-wings/Jan regularly in tourneys and it did well against people that didn't understand the alpha-strike and not do so well against people that focuses Jan first.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

alg posted:

Amen

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Do most people have weird asscrack hangin goony X-Wing bros? The crowd where I am is mostly hipster college students and geeks. There's only two guys I'd qualify as "overweight" in the field of about twenty playing in the store league. Nobody wore any video-game-themed clothing. The general smell was "Old Spice."

Also: any thoughts on how to run a good Decimator build? The same guy who ran my Falcon + Poe decided he really loves turreted large ships and bought one, but I have so little experience with building my own Empire lists I'm at a loss to help him. I was thinking something like:

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (65)
VT-49 Decimator (46)
Predator (3)
Darth Vader (3)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Soontir Fel (35)
TIE Interceptor (27)
Royal Guard TIE (0)
Push The Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Yet Another Squad Builder

The Soontir is straight up stolen from a lot of the other lists I saw and everyone appears to run him the exact same way, and in fairness it's pretty effective. I'm not sure about Predator versus Veteran Instincts on Chiraneau, and I'm even less sure on who to equip for his crew; I may also be biased toward Gunner because of how I've run Han. I feel like Engine Upgrade on Large ships is almost non-negotiable, and of the pilots I think Chiraneau is going to be the most effective if you're running a two-ship list, but I'm not sure where to start on the Decimator and googling builds leads to a lot of people saying that the Decimator sucks.

EDIT: vvvvv

admanb posted:

There aren't really a lot of ways to turtle in X-Wing, but it does encourage running away. And it does punish players who fly their ships off the map but uh, you shouldn't be doing that anyways. I wouldn't say it's a disproportionate punishment since it's proportionate to the value of the ship. :P

When I say "turtle" I mean "intentionally disengaging, usually to run out a clock, rather than play as if there were no time limit (i.e. you must achieve the defined win condition, usually destroying all enemy ships/mans/whatever)." It's probably a misuse of the term, but I treat timer scamming in SF4 as basically turtling even if it technically isn't, since you're not like crouch-blocking or whatever. Also, given the proclivity of people who run regeneration builds on Poe, Corran Horn, or even Han Solo, flying away to regen forever and then just continuing to fly away seems like the way to go if you want to win via MOV. I'm not saying that's bad, though.

Also, some of my post was tongue-in-cheek re: flying off the drat map, since it came really close to costing me a game I had easily in hand. I don't actually think it's disproportionate to consider a fleeing ship destroyed for game purposes.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 6, 2016

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

guts and bolts posted:

If you have a good league and tournament scene, why would you invite anyone to your house? :confused: The point was "if a shop isn't giving you infrastructural support, it is not incumbent upon you, a consumer, to effectively act as a freebie employee of that shop by organizing your own tournaments and events at that shop to drum up their business and/or earn the privilege of spending money at that shop." Also our Wangs crowd differs dramatically if yours is

EDIT:^^^^ Hm. So that effectively prioritizes turtle-y play if you think you're running up near the time limit, unless I'm mistaken. It also seems to disproportionately punish daring bad pilots if they, say, accidentally fly a mostly-intact Han Solo off the map, since that's a 62 pt. loss that my opponent didn't even destroy. :(

EDIT2: I mean actually that makes way more sense than the alternative of "only count points for ships you've destroyed" because then whomever destroyed a ship first would win as the rest of their army intentionally flew off the map. That would be horrible. Or maybe each pilot card should earn points for what they've destroyed, and you lose those points if that pilot is himself destroyed or flees a battle, and regardless of points whomever has zero ships on the battlefield first must lose the game? I'm dumb and I need a second to digest this, and to look up more MOV stuff

There aren't really a lot of ways to turtle in X-Wing, but it does encourage running away. And it does punish players who fly their ships off the map but uh, you shouldn't be doing that anyways. I wouldn't say it's a disproportionate punishment since it's proportionate to the value of the ship. :P

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My group is pretty good. I think I am the gooniest guy who plays. Hell, my epic partner had his pregant wife watching us and knitting on Monday. She also was giving us good advice while playing too.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

Also: any thoughts on how to run a good Decimator build? The same guy who ran my Falcon + Poe decided he really loves turreted large ships and bought one, but I have so little experience with building my own Empire lists I'm at a loss to help him. I was thinking something like:

VT-49 Decimator (46)
Predator (3)
Darth Vader (3)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Soontir Fel (35)
TIE Interceptor (27)
Royal Guard TIE (0)
Push The Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Autothrusters (2)

I like the Decimator, but yeah it's underwhelming. I've used that exact squad a couple times, and also a tweaked version with Expose and a Hull Upgrade instead. Vader pairs well with Gunner for pumping out guaranteed damage, but him alongside zero green dice means the thing gets shredded unbelievably quickly. Ysanne helps mitigate it some, but even then it dies fast. It's like a big flabby Falcon that gets shredded like wet paper under any kind of concentrated fire. It looks intimidating and has a deceptively high combined total of shields and hull for how well it explodes.

That said, in my admittedly limited experience with it that's the build I like the most for it; It does what it wants to do best with those three crew. It has the capacity to pump out some decent damage at the very least. I wouldn't classify it as "good," but if you want to put it on the table regardless I wouldn't alter that list.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I like the Decimator, but yeah it's underwhelming. I've used that exact squad a couple times, and also a tweaked version with Expose and a Hull Upgrade instead. Vader pairs well with Gunner for pumping out guaranteed damage, but him alongside zero green dice means the thing gets shredded unbelievably quickly. Ysanne helps mitigate it some, but even then it dies fast. It's like a big flabby Falcon that gets shredded like wet paper under any kind of concentrated fire. It looks intimidating and has a deceptively high combined total of shields and hull for how well it explodes.

That said, in my admittedly limited experience with it that's the build I like the most for it; It does what it wants to do best with those three crew. It has the capacity to pump out some decent damage at the very least. I wouldn't classify it as "good," but if you want to put it on the table regardless I wouldn't alter that list.

Thanks! And yeah, I tried to caution my dude that I wasn't sure the Decimator would be a 1:1 "Empire's Millennium Falcon" but he wanted a large-base turreted ship and he plays Empire/First Order and they had one so he bought it. The list is probably subject to maybe slight tinkering, but my thinking is that the Decimator is going to loving die regardless - the goal with it on the table is "kill as many things as possible before he eventually melts." I do, however, think that he will not enjoy flying against the "equivalent" Rebellion/Resistance list of Han/Poe; I foresee that ending pretty badly for Chiraneau/Soontir, but I could be wrong.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

guts and bolts posted:

Thanks! And yeah, I tried to caution my dude that I wasn't sure the Decimator would be a 1:1 "Empire's Millennium Falcon" but he wanted a large-base turreted ship and he plays Empire/First Order and they had one so he bought it. The list is probably subject to maybe slight tinkering, but my thinking is that the Decimator is going to loving die regardless - the goal with it on the table is "kill as many things as possible before he eventually melts." I do, however, think that he will not enjoy flying against the "equivalent" Rebellion/Resistance list of Han/Poe; I foresee that ending pretty badly for Chiraneau/Soontir, but I could be wrong.

The trick with the decimator is to skirt the edges of the enemy's arcs. You won't take damage if you're out of their arcs.

This is easier said than done when there are only two ships on the board.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I think it's better than you're saying, because while it does go down quickly it also puts out very fast and very consistent damage. I would consider VI, because then it fires before almost everything and gets to boost last.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't think you need predator with RAC. I've seen him with VI and EU and he's a slippery devil, and especially if you put rebel captive on him, arc dodgers are gonna hate him.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I've found the best way to play the Decimator is to make people chase you around. You should be boosting almost every turn. RAC's ability (and that 0 agility) means Focus tokens aren't great, and if you're running Predator, Target Lock isn't great either. Even without Predator, I'd prioritize boosting to avoid damage over target locking.

Avoid arcs, move into donut holes and boost away from range 1 shots while shooting backwards all day, erry day.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Tekopo posted:

I don't think you need predator with RAC. I've seen him with VI and EU and he's a slippery devil, and especially if you put rebel captive on him, arc dodgers are gonna hate him.

As a noob, why does rebel captive help against arc dodgers? Adding stress to the first ship to attack the Decimator? Is it because the arc dodgers are usually high PS that will be shooting first?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Correct. It means next turn they will most likely have to take a green maneuver to clear the stress, while your Decimator can do whatever it wants to.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Additionally, arc dodgers like to use PTL for 2 actions, so they're already stressed. An interceptor with 2 stress is in massive trouble, so it limits their ability to PTL to either arc dodge or tank up against the turret.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It fucks up Whisper and Soontir especially. Soontir because he usually gets stressed from PtL and that will cause him to double stress, and Whisper because he can't recloak after his shot using ACD.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
A good Soontir player likes seeing rebel captive, because it means he or she can freely bump and not give a poo poo for better position and know that the shot is going to help them turtle up without actions.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Tekopo posted:

I actually kinda like PTL/BB-8 Poe for precisely the reason that he's still PS8 and still "low" enough to avoid Rebel Captive, provided Han and Poe can both shoot. I was thinking Predator over VI, even though he wants to Boost last, as a means of churning out even more damage via dice-fixing, since you could reroll a success die if you want to alpha-strike someone who's already on hull (by Vadering a missed attack, Gunnering, and Vadering again, using Predator as needed to dicefix in either direction). At least, I think that works? So yeah, you'd eat 4 damage that turn, but you'd crank out at least two guaranteed critical results, plus your Gunner dice, and Predator can help set up first the double-Vader and second it can help you have a good Gunner shot. It should translate into a lot of damage, enough that Poe Dameron would have to at least think twice before getting anywhere near the Decimator (who wins that race), and the Decimator is a large-base ship that should be Boosting every turn it can.

Ballpoint Penguin
Feb 12, 2004

Awakening the survivor from his frozen bacta prison, he learned a Deathstar had destroyed Dagobah long ago. He took it well, I guess.

guts and bolts posted:

VT-49 Decimator (46)
Predator (3)
Darth Vader (3)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Soontir Fel (35)
TIE Interceptor (27)
Royal Guard TIE (0)
Push The Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Autothrusters (2)

I won a regional with exactly this list last year (and went 4-4 at Worlds with a similar list). I can confirm it is a good list. That being said you can basically count on losing the Decimator in almost every match. It's best to think of RAC as a glass baseball bat that you're going to smash over your opponent's head and hope that that cripples him enough for Fel to clean up whatever is left. It can easily beat any other Turret + ace list thanks to Vader. You just use RAC+vader and gunner to murder whatever ace they're running (and in the process you'll likely lose the Decimator) but then the end game is usually Fel vs a ship that has almost no hope of hitting him. It can reliably win against Brobots, but it has a hard time with Thug Life, winning or losing against that many TLTs really just comes down to Fel's green dice being in a good mood. Honestly the hardest part about this list is that, in a tournament, you'll need to win just about every game you play if you want to place in the top because your MoV will be garbage.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Strobe posted:

A good Soontir player likes seeing rebel captive, because it means he or she can freely bump and not give a poo poo for better position and know that the shot is going to help them turtle up without actions.
Still loses you an action though, so overall I'd rather not face a rebel captive over facing one with Soontir. Proper turtleing for Soontir is at least one focus + evade:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Ballpoint Penguin posted:

I won a regional with exactly this list last year (and went 4-4 at Worlds with a similar list). I can confirm it is a good list. That being said you can basically count on losing the Decimator in almost every match. It's best to think of RAC as a glass baseball bat that you're going to smash over your opponent's head and hope that that cripples him enough for Fel to clean up whatever is left. It can easily beat any other Turret + ace list thanks to Vader. You just use RAC+vader and gunner to murder whatever ace they're running (and in the process you'll likely lose the Decimator) but then the end game is usually Fel vs a ship that has almost no hope of hitting him. It can reliably win against Brobots, but it has a hard time with Thug Life, winning or losing against that many TLTs really just comes down to Fel's green dice being in a good mood. Honestly the hardest part about this list is that, in a tournament, you'll need to win just about every game you play if you want to place in the top because your MoV will be garbage.

My concern when setting up his list is that he'll be playing mostly against me, and I run Han Solo + Gunner and dodge-y Poe Dameron. If I position and fly in such a manner that the Decimator has to go through Han to get to Poe, I think that can spell trouble; it really feels like it comes down to how good the first natural Gunner roll would be if you try the double-Vader shenanigan, because if it isn't good enough to completely cripple Poe you'll wind up getting annihilated too fast, I think.

Also, my go-to answer for Soontir Fel to this point has been Gunner Han, and I just roll dice until I get what I want. After getting that first hit on him, I feel like it's easy to start the snowball.

Ballpoint Penguin
Feb 12, 2004

Awakening the survivor from his frozen bacta prison, he learned a Deathstar had destroyed Dagobah long ago. He took it well, I guess.
Yeah, I think a big part of that match up will depend on who has initiative. If he has initiative or he's running VI Han it'll be pretty rough if not seemingly impossible to win, since so much of Fel's power comes from moving last. My guess would be that it'll all come down to the initial pass. If RAC has an easy time of taking out Poe then he can potentially throw some damage at Han before he gets blown up (or vaders himself to death in order to get a crit through :black101:). As far as keeping Fel alive vs Han + Gunner it's really just a matter of playing it smart and never being without a focus and an evade, and if you can help it staying out of arc. It's a tough match up for sure, but it's winnable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Alright for a newbie I now have a gently caress ton of ships. Managed some big lot trades out of extra Warmahordes for X-Wangs, and sniped a huge lot sale that I all but stole from the guy at his asking price. Which left my actual purchase dollars to go for crazy stuff like the Gozanti, Decimator, and Raider.

FYI the Gozanti looks butch AF with 4 Interceptors docked. :kimchi: Like a bear with fuckin' claws.

Got enough for my lady pal who is a Star Wars nerd and tabletop curious. We haven't seen eachother since before X-Mas so I'm doing something of a self-serving gift by giving her a sealed orig tridge starter and a decent mix of the extra stuff from these lots, including 3 more X'es, an A, B, and Y, the Falcon, and probably a few random TIE something or others so she can also play larger games with her own kid.

I need to figure out how many of these six Phantoms to use as trade bait. Though it would be funny to run every last one in an epic game.

Now for my first "real" game with Flightpath Fridays starting back up post-new-year.

• Locked thread