Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

quote:

“We’re no longer new,” she said wryly. “We’re certainly not democratic. And no one is having a party anywhere.”

This is great, this is the best thing
I can't stop laughing

I mean, she's right but it's just amazing to see it put that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
CanPol Megathread: Not New, Not Democratic, Not Having a Party Anywhere

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

quote:

Canadian Press Biz ‏@CdnPress_Biz 2m

BREAKING: TransCanada says it intends to file a claim under Chapter 11 of the NAFTA in response to U.S. govt rejection of Keystone pipeline.

:supaburn:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

I hope this is Canadian Oils softwood dispute moment. :allears:

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
From what I've heard there's a good chance they'll win too. Too many domestic pipelines were built during the same period and other trans-border pipelines were built just before keystone was proposed. It's going to be very hard for the US to argue Trans-Canada didn't receive different treatment from domestic or other international pipeline companies. From my understanding that essentially is an automatic fail under nafta investor protection rules. You can ban or halt a certain activity (oil pipeline construction) but it has to be for the entire industry, not a single company or group of foreign companies.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

lmfao look at them pretending that nafta works on this side of the border

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Gorau posted:

From what I've heard there's a good chance they'll win too. Too many domestic pipelines were built during the same period and other trans-border pipelines were built just before keystone was proposed. It's going to be very hard for the US to argue Trans-Canada didn't receive different treatment from domestic or other international pipeline companies. From my understanding that essentially is an automatic fail under nafta investor protection rules. You can ban or halt a certain activity (oil pipeline construction) but it has to be for the entire industry, not a single company or group of foreign companies.

I've this works, there is a significant chance I will piss myself laughing.

Hoping for the best!

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
In other news managers in the ontario civil service are going to be going to work as prison guards if they strike: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/01/06/civil-service-managers-face-danger-staffing-jails-if-strike-hits-union-says.html

So, who else wants to see how Teddy the IT supervisor handles violent prisoners?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's amazing how pro-pipeline the CBC comments are now....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/transcanada-lawsuit-keystone-xl-pipeline-1.3392446

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Gorau posted:

Actually, I'd be baffled if TransCanada could win despite this:

quote:

Article 1114: Environmental Measures

1. Nothing in this Chapter shall be construed to prevent a Party from adopting, maintaining or enforcing any measure otherwise consistent with this Chapter that it considers appropriate to ensure that investment activity in its territory is undertaken in a manner sensitive to environmental concerns.

I don't know what TransCanada is going to argue, but it looks like it would have to prove that the U.S. denied Keystone XL out of discrimination, as opposed to environmental and domestic health concerns let alone any other non-discriminatory reason it might be permitted to give for refusal.

More importantly, I'd be absolutely baffled if the US ever gave a poo poo about treaty obligations. That's for weaker countries.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I guess all those laid-off oil workers have found something to do with their spare time.

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't know what TransCanada is going to argue, but it looks like it would have to prove that the U.S. denied Keystone XL out of discrimination, as opposed to environmental and domestic health concerns let alone any other non-discriminatory reason it might be permitted to give for refusal.

More importantly, I'd be absolutely baffled if the US ever gave a poo poo about treaty obligations. That's for weaker countries.
It's yet another attempt to drum up sympathy for the poor widdle underdog Canadian oil industry. Remember how DSF/Greenpeace/Pembina/indigenous groups/etc were said to be agents of George Soros and American coal?

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 7, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

senae posted:

lmfao look at them pretending that nafta works on this side of the border

Honestly just lol at how CoO labeling on meat turned out, after a decade of wrangling they were finally (2-3 times) called out and immediately passed legislation to limit retaliation tariffs despite it existing for a decade in their domestic market.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

You're right that the treaty doesn't limit the states right to impose environmental regulations. However, the flip side of that is that environmental regulations must apply to all similar companies, foreign and domestic. All Trans Canada needs to prove is they were treated differently than a domestic US pipeline company.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Do they only have to prove that they were treated differently from a US company, or do they have to prove that they were treated differently from a US company on the basis of nationality? The former sounds insane -- anyone who had a slightly longer or more extensive environmental review than a US company, regardless of the reason, could file a chapter 11 claim.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Helsing posted:

Multiculturalism, healthcare and our history of "peace keeping missions" are all used by the government and by plenty of self congratulatory citizens as evidence that we're the most benign, progressive, tolerant and forward looking country in the world. Oh sure we've got our flaws, we're not perfect no sir but you know we aren't very racist, not like those Americans with their Donald Trump, and thanks to Trudeau we're welcoming refugees again, we don't interfere in other countries' business too much and we do at least try a bit to alleviate the suffering of the unfortunate.

Meanwhile there are communities in Canada living in third world conditions, our mining companies are among the most odious international companies raping the third world, our supposedly generous social safety net is full of holes, the current generation of Canadian political leadership has oscillated between manifest incompetence and petty corruption, and our entire economy is tottering on the edge of a cliff. Canada's rosy self conception of itself as a flawed but basically benign progressive bastion makes it hard for a lot of people to understand this.

Ok, but this isn't really what you said originally. I don't think it's convincing to suggest that leftists need to consider criticisms of multiculturalism because it can be used as a red herring to distract from other problems in our society. I can't really recall it being used that way directly anyways. Has anyone seriously argued that it's okay for first nations to live in squalor, for Canadian mining companies to hire mercenaries to murder third-world villagers, to build prisons in Gaddhafi-era Libya or sell APCs to a head-chopping funfest like Saudi Arabia, all because Toronto is a global melting pot? Even if that were happening on a regular basis, it's pretty weird to oppose a policy (or policy goal, if you view it that way) just because its success might lead to fallacious support of completely different policies.

If you just mean that multiculturalism should be viewed critically in the way that any other policy (goal) is, then sure, but it didn't sound like that's what you were saying.

Helsing posted:

Also, getting more abstract, there's a general tendency for countries with less cultural homogeneity to have weaker social safety nets. There are complicated debates behind why that's the case but part of it may be that countries with less cohesive cultures are less well equipped to mobilize against the demands of big business.

None of which is to say that multiculturalism is a totally bad thing or that we should all sing God save the Queen and celebrate our European heritage. The idea of an inclusive society obviously has its merits and Canada benefits immensely from cultural diversity.

I would probably go with correlation != causation for the first point, assuming it's true.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Heavy neutrino posted:

They're just assuring their investors that the project is still alive until President Cruz and Secretary of State Palin approve it in 2017.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
If we give you an order of Canada will you stop posting exxon

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

Do they only have to prove that they were treated differently from a US company, or do they have to prove that they were treated differently from a US company on the basis of nationality? The former sounds insane -- anyone who had a slightly longer or more extensive environmental review than a US company, regardless of the reason, could file a chapter 11 claim.

It's the first one. They just have to prove they were treated differently than a US company.

Edit: it's actually one of the major points of the NAFTA treaty, other member's companies must be treated the same as domestic companies. It was put in there largely as a response to Canadian protectionist efforts in the 70s and 80s, including the NEP. So it's a little entertaining that the same provisions may force the US government over a barrel.

Edit 2: also for people saying that if the US loses they won't pay up, they will. This isn't like most other NAFTA cases. The other ones were about policy and requiring policy changes to become compliant with NAFTA again, meaning the US would continualy pass half measures and go back to arbitration. This is a straight monetary damages case. If Trans Canada wins the NAFTA case and the appeal, there's no where for the US government to go. If they don't pay up, Trans Canada sues in US federal court for payment and the government pays up or is held in contempt of court.

Gorau fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 7, 2016

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

THC posted:

I guess all those laid-off oil workers have found something to do with their spare time.

It's yet another attempt to drum up sympathy for the poor widdle underdog Canadian oil industry. Remember how DSF/Greenpeace/Pembina/indigenous groups/etc were said to be agents of George Soros and American coal?

Could be the boiler room astroturfers had to find other contracts after the Harperites got whacked.

How much of an interest in Trans Canada do the Koch brothers own, or do they just have holdings on each end of the pipe?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/terror-trial-suspect-developmentally-delayed-police-admit-1.3392519

quote:

The head of an undercover police sting involving a British Columbia terror suspect says he "absolutely" urged his officers to consider their suspect developmentally delayed.

RCMP Sgt. Bill Kalkat, has told B.C. Supreme Court that police scenarios were designed to take John Nuttall's mental capacity into account.

Nuttall and his wife Amanda Korody were found guilty last June of plotting to blow up the B.C. legislature on Canada Day 2013.

Their lawyers are arguing that police manipulated the couple into attempting to carry out a terrorist act.

Early in the undercover operation, an officer gave Nuttall $200 to transport an unmarked package to a transit-station locker.

Kalkat says Nuttall was told that the package's contents weren't illegal but admits it would have been possible to question the operation as illegitimate.

:golfclap: great job RCMP I don't know how you find time to conduct stings on literal retards, in between tasering people to death and raping your own female members

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jesus Christ

Skeeter
Oct 24, 2004
Honk Honk!

RBC posted:

In other news managers in the ontario civil service are going to be going to work as prison guards if they strike: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/01/06/civil-service-managers-face-danger-staffing-jails-if-strike-hits-union-says.html

So, who else wants to see how Teddy the IT supervisor handles violent prisoners?

I know at least one manager who has been told to prepare for 2 months. Does anyone know if jail workers have been deemed an essential service elsewhere? That seems like an obvious outcome of this.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

THC posted:

Jesus Christ

my exact reaction

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Cultural Imperial posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/terror-trial-suspect-developmentally-delayed-police-admit-1.3392519

:golfclap: great job RCMP I don't know how you find time to conduct stings on literal retards, in between tasering people to death and raping your own female members

But think of how safe you feel knowing they stopped some terrorists!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It's a dangerous world! Chaos is lapping at our shores!

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
gently caress the RCMP.

Except as CI mentioned, they already do.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Leofish posted:

But think of how safe you feel knowing they stopped some terrorists!

Well of course you only hear about the ones they hosed up! :rolleyes:

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.
Posting for easy access as the flood of stupid reaches your facebook feeds in the upcoming weeks with bankrupt oil workers complaining that their EI doesn't cover truck equity: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/do-government-assisted-refugees-receive-more-money-for-food-than-canadians-on-welfare-1.3230503

Also let them know that any refugee coming to Canada also has to pay for their flight ticket here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/outside/resettle-assist.asp

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't know why being mentally challenged means it's a bad thing the RCMP got them off the streets. They should be sent to a mental health facility instead of prison, but I still don't see the issue with getting people out of general society if they can be talked into trying to blow up the legislature.

Is there something about this case I'm missing? I just don't see the problem.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
The RCMP spent $20 million dollars to trick two mentally ill drug addicts into committing a terrorist plot in order to create fear in the general populace and justify the need for more counter-terrorist funding?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

e: WS:arghfist:

PT6A posted:

I don't know why being mentally challenged means it's a bad thing the RCMP got them off the streets. They should be sent to a mental health facility instead of prison, but I still don't see the issue with getting people out of general society if they can be talked into trying to blow up the legislature.

You presume the purpose of this investigation was to protect public safety, and not to find the terrorist-est people they could and make an example out of them to justify the existence of new rules.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Newfie posted:

Also let them know that any refugee coming to Canada also has to pay for their flight ticket here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/outside/resettle-assist.asp

That's actually really interesting. I was one of the people who assumed we were flying them for free, thanks for clearing that up. Do you know how much we are charging refugees for a flight on a military CC-150? I checked a few places, couldn't figure it out.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/military-jet-to-fly-164-syrian-refugees-from-beirut-to-toronto/article27680102/

PT6A posted:

The (former?) fiscal conservative buried deep inside you may feel a pang of annoyance that they spent millions of dollars on this and involved 240 officers.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I think our rodeo clown is on to something. We can clean the dtes once and for all by sending everyone to jail for terrorism. Bonus is melian can wear spec ops cosplay to round them up

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ikantski posted:

That's actually really interesting. I was one of the people who assumed we were flying them for free, thanks for clearing that up. Do you know how much we are charging refugees for a flight on a military CC-150? I checked a few places, couldn't figure it out.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/military-jet-to-fly-164-syrian-refugees-from-beirut-to-toronto/article27680102/

The (former?) fiscal conservative buried deep inside you may feel a pang of annoyance that they spent millions of dollars on this and involved 240 officers.

Yeah, if anything it's just a waste of money. They shouldn't necessarily do it again, but given that the money's already been spent, I don't see a particular problem with the result.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

PT6A posted:

Yeah, if anything it's just a waste of money. They shouldn't necessarily do it again, but given that the money's already been spent, I don't see a particular problem with the result.

Hey we just diverted the entire road maintenance budget of our city into fixing one pothole but that pothole sure got fixed so what's everyone bitching about

The problem with my analogy is that potholes are actually things that can cause some damage and this one was actually fixed so welp

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

You can use a shotgun to kill a housefly, or a flyswatter, the fly is dead either way. But some would argue it's not an appropriate use of a shotgun, and it makes a bit of a mess.

I think I have a problem with the RCMP wholesale fabricating a terrorist plot and cajoling some mentally ill drug addicts (who by the RCMP's own account were completely incapable) into carrying it out.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

There's an argument to be made that those 240 officers could have been otherwise helping sociehaha it's the rcmp. I think it's one of two things, gross mismanagement at the highest levels of the RCMP or there was some kind of political motive. Either way, it's kind of funny to go back to the original story knowing what we know now.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/b-c-man-woman-charged-in-canada-day-bomb-plot-1.1349951 posted:

A British Columbia man and woman are charged with conspiring to carry out a terrorist attack after police say explosive devices were placed outside the province’s legislature on Canada Day, where thousands were gathered for the national holiday.

The RCMP alleges the pair conspired to detonate explosive devices, which were made out of pressure cookers, outside the B.C. legislature in Victoria.

“This self-radicalized behaviour was intended to create maximum impact and harm to Canadian citizens at the B.C. legislature on a national holiday,” said RCMP Assistant Commissioner Wayne Rideout. “They took steps to educate themselves and produce explosive devices designed to cause injury and death.”

B.C. Premier Christy Clark said Tuesday she was “shocked” to learn of the alleged terror plot, but grateful that the RCMP successfully intervened.

Clark said the suspects’ goal was not just to inflict damage, but to “rob us of our sense of security.

“They hate the values that make B.C. and Canada unique in the world,” she told reporters.

“We will not let them win. We will not let them strike fear in our hearts.”

The investigation was co-ordinated by the RCMP-led Integrated National Security Enforcement Teams in B.C., the agency said in a new release.

The specialized multi-agency team is made up of employees of the RCMP along with the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, Canada Border Service Agency, and other provincial and municipal law enforcement agencies.

Public Safety Minister Vic Toews said the “arrests demonstrate that terrorism continues to be a threat to Canada.”

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 7, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

Or they could have spent less than $11k for each of the 2 clearly mentally ill drug addicts and place them into full time rehabilitation centers where they get 24 hour watch from people that arent pants on head stupid?

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Ikantski posted:

No clue honestly. I have never actually seen the numbers, just know the situation for your flight costs being repaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

Specifically, it was a waste of money inventing a crime out of the confused ramblings of people who lack several useful prerequisites for becoming terrorists, like the knowledge of what bombs are or how to assemble them or why hijacking nuclear submarines from US naval bases isn't a good idea. The whole thing was a fiasco and everyone involved in it should be put on administrative leave for twenty minutes so they can sit in the corner and think about what they did, and the fact that two imbeciles might accidentally find their way into some kind of healthcare is a side-effect that really shouldn't be used to justify the absurd means.

Creating a crisis so they can say "AAA CRISIS!" and then invent new laws and powers and bullshit we never needed is something the previous administration was very good at, and we really should be better at noticing it when it happens.