Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zyphoid posted:

I have to agree with Skoll on the SRM front, with the sole exception being space dad. Space Dads up close punch tactics and syncing with AC 20 timing for twisting makes it the best for the sub 100 knock your teeth in game. All other mechs do better with srm 4 due to aforementioned firing rate + lower spread. I like a crow with uac 5 and srm 4+ artemis. Lots of range option, relatively cool and lots of BANG BANG for scaring lights and making people torso twist. Maurader with lasers + 2x srm4+artemis is incredibly fun as well. SRM 4 + Artemis is just better if you are firing out to the end of the range of the weapon.

I also like the Timber Wolf with 4 SRM6A and 4 SPL, but I haven't tried with SRM4A yet so that might work better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I love playing assaults and I use them pretty much exclusively. The best feeling ever is taking your 100 ton murder man, walking around the corner, finding some pubbie in his precious Timberwolf and absolutely obliterating them under a cloud of SRMs and AC20 salvos. Their panic is almost palpable.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Pattonesque posted:

Dire Wolf with the right omnipods can fit six CUAC/5s

Once the Mauler comes out for C-bills, the -MX90 can fit six AC/5s if you don't mind going very slow, and five AC/5s for a more reliable build

Zenny wants

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015
Marauder can do trip ac 5's well on a heavy IS mech. Mauler can do 4 uac5, 5 ac5's, or my personal fav 3 ac5 and 1 ac20. Banshee with 3 ac5 + mpl is also a murder beast. The best ballistic mechs IS side have both cooldown and projectile speed. Makes it WAY easier to hit things reliably. I'm tempted to try some ac 2 builds like the blackjack with 2x ac2 and like 5 med lasers but haven't tried it yet.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Kazvall posted:

The biggest "tip" for piloting an assault is to just play one for hours. I can sit here and talk about situational awareness and poo poo but you only get that through dying over and over. If you're not learning a lesson each time you die, you're not dying hard enough.

Part of this is actually taking the time to think about why you died and what you could have done differently. If you want to get real absurd with it write down how you died and what things lead to it. Theres plenty enough downtime between matches to do this and you may as well try to improve your robutting.

This isnt a silver bullet though. You also need to have played enough to reckognize that poo poo you do earlier has an effect later in the match. Also, solo dropping makes things harder because you're so frequently stuck following the decisions of the pubbie herd, YMMV there.

I want to do a write up on some of the more obscure mechanics and crap that isn't well documented, but it is easy to overexplain poo poo like missle tracking that more basic and important poo poo might get buried. Can anyone who has started recently (or anyone else for that matter) PM me questions they have/had that were useful to know?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Coolwhoami posted:

Part of this is actually taking the time to think about why you died and what you could have done differently. If you want to get real absurd with it write down how you died and what things lead to it. Theres plenty enough downtime between matches to do this and you may as well try to improve your robutting.

This isnt a silver bullet though. You also need to have played enough to reckognize that poo poo you do earlier has an effect later in the match. Also, solo dropping makes things harder because you're so frequently stuck following the decisions of the pubbie herd, YMMV there.

I want to do a write up on some of the more obscure mechanics and crap that isn't well documented, but it is easy to overexplain poo poo like missle tracking that more basic and important poo poo might get buried. Can anyone who has started recently (or anyone else for that matter) PM me questions they have/had that were useful to know?

one thing that is important to consider in an assault (especially in an Atlas) is that sometimes you will have a low-damage game where you die first and the fact that you did so won the game for your team

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I spectated a locust going 164 last night. Can all of them go that fast or just one specific variant?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Bait and Swatch posted:

I spectated a locust going 164 last night. Can all of them go that fast or just one specific variant?

all of them, I believe. Locusting pretty much requires the max XL 190 engine

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Willfrey posted:

The one true Direwolf build is 2 Gauss, 2 LPL, 3 ML.

No way, 2 ac10 4 UAC2 supremacy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

Dire Wolf with the right omnipods can fit six CUAC/5s

Once the Mauler comes out for C-bills, the -MX90 can fit six AC/5s if you don't mind going very slow, and five AC/5s for a more reliable build

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=173&l=47c0604d81a13b3567cf5394dcf54e2a947470c3

Boy, do I wish I had 15 million C-bills right now.

e;

Zyphoid posted:

or my personal fav 3 ac5 and 1 ac20.

:aaaaa:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 6, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

one thing that is important to consider in an assault (especially in an Atlas) is that sometimes you will have a low-damage game where you die first and the fact that you did so won the game for your team

Quoted for truth. Unless it's a complete roll, you are most likely going to die shielding your team in an Assault. That is what you're there for, to soak up damage.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Skoll posted:

Quoted for truth. Unless it's a complete roll, you are most likely going to die shielding your team in an Assault. That is what you're there for, to soak up damage.

And that's totally okay but some people will give you poo poo for not doing enough damage

Learning how to twist and fire is harder on a fatty, you really need to time your shots

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skoll posted:

the way new players should think of it is this -- say you lead a push in an Atlas and take 15 seconds to die. Sounds lovely, but in those 15 seconds you've probably been able to kill or cripple an enemy 'mech, and if your team follows you they have probably been able to focus down another enemy 'mech. So you die, and your team is up two or three to one, and that's all she wrote.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If only there were a medium that could fit something like 5-6 AC-2s so it wouldn't cost me Assault prices to get a dakkamech. :v:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

the way new players should think of it is this -- say you lead a push in an Atlas and take 15 seconds to die. Sounds lovely, but in those 15 seconds you've probably been able to kill or cripple an enemy 'mech, and if your team follows you they have probably been able to focus down another enemy 'mech. So you die, and your team is up two or three to one, and that's all she wrote.

If you push incorrectly you have ten people focusing you with Large Lasers and you die even if you twist properly

The timing of a push is really hard to get down. I died a lot early in order to figure that out and I still gently caress up sometimes.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Also lol streakcrows make so much loving money

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

For me the biggest challenge when assault piloting is choosing where I am going to go, and committing to it. I normally pilot lights and mediums so I can change position and direction without needing to think about it more than 10 seconds in advance. With an assault, you got to plan 60 seconds in advance.

If the team decides we are going to grid A1, you need to move your slow rear end there and that takes time. If the team decides to move elsewhere by the time you gets there, you're going to die... alone.

Similarly, if someone calls for a big push, the assaults needs to go all in. You're not going to survive starting a push, changing your mind and trying to back out, you're gonna die.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

And that's totally okay but some people will give you poo poo for not doing enough damage

Those people are retarded shitlers and should be reminded of that fact constantly.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

If you push incorrectly you have ten people focusing you with Large Lasers and you die even if you twist properly

The timing of a push is really hard to get down. I died a lot early in order to figure that out and I still gently caress up sometimes.

this is true. it's definitely a risk and if it doesn't work you shouldn't be shamed for it. you went out on your shield.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Which timber can I buy first and strip the least amount of garbage off

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

If your assaults say they're going, if you're a nearby heavy or even medium you drop what you're doing and go. It doesn't matter if you're shooting at something or whatever. When the push is called you get your robot in line and go gently caress the the other guys up. Do not stop the until the enemy is dead or you are.

Brawling owns.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Number19 posted:

If your assaults say they're going, if you're a nearby heavy or even medium you drop what you're doing and go. It doesn't matter if you're shooting at something or whatever. When the push is called you get your robot in line and go gently caress the the other guys up. Do not stop the until the enemy is dead or you are.

Brawling owns.

Brawling is so loving fun

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Also, if you're not yelling "WITNESS ME" into comms while leading a push you're doing it wrong.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pattonesque posted:

The best thing about the D-DC is that every once in a while, the enemy doesn't notice you when you push.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This is how I dakkawolf as of late:

DWF-B

Save the medium pulses for when you run out of ammo or when your UAC/10s are jammed up. The thing is much too hot to fire all your guns at once. You'll end up exploding into space.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Number19 posted:

Also, if you're not yelling "WITNESS ME" into comms while leading a push you're doing it wrong.

This is the most true statement in the entire thread.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Number19 posted:

:perfect:

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I've been playing this game again and loving it now.

Good Things:

-CW is a thing that people do, and gives you free mechbays
-Clan mechs :heysexy:
-Events for free things (got all 75 quickplay tickets)
-TrashcUrbanmech
-10m cbills made most of my old mechs Not Terrible

Bad Things:

-Still almost-Korean levels of grind
-"Hey guys I need you to hold locks so I can LUUURRRRRMMMM"
-Bought SCR-PRIME for 11m Cbills two days before the sale, I'm a fuckin' idiot.

My question right now is what clan mech is next for me? I'm trying to fill a deck now that my CW contract is up. So far I have SCR-PRIME and ACH-PRIME. I love both.

Should I attempt to grind out a DWF while it's on sale? Is TBR- as bad as everyone says now? Should I forget about the sale and go for something more 'fun' like SHC or HBR?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If only there were a medium that could fit something like 5-6 AC-2s so it wouldn't cost me Assault prices to get a dakkamech. :v:

Dakkawolf is relevant to my interests, I made a hilarious HBK-4G build with 3x AC2. Though terrible, it's satisfying to poke your shoulder over a hill and perma-shake some poor assault mech until he retreats.

Can someone invite me to WoL please? Ingame: treemaster

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The correct medium dakkamech is the BJ-1 with dual ac/2s and 4 mls. It's actually very effective.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Herb Dington posted:

I've been playing this game again and loving it now.

Good Things:

-CW is a thing that people do, and gives you free mechbays
-Clan mechs :heysexy:
-Events for free things (got all 75 quickplay tickets)
-TrashcUrbanmech
-10m cbills made most of my old mechs Not Terrible

Bad Things:

-Still almost-Korean levels of grind
-"Hey guys I need you to hold locks so I can LUUURRRRRMMMM"
-Bought SCR-PRIME for 11m Cbills two days before the sale, I'm a fuckin' idiot.

My question right now is what clan mech is next for me? I'm trying to fill a deck now that my CW contract is up. So far I have SCR-PRIME and ACH-PRIME. I love both.

Should I attempt to grind out a DWF while it's on sale? Is TBR- as bad as everyone says now? Should I forget about the sale and go for something more 'fun' like SHC or HBR?

Dakkawolf is relevant to my interests, I made a hilarious HBK-4G build with 3x AC2. Though terrible, it's satisfying to poke your shoulder over a hill and perma-shake some poor assault mech until he retreats.

Can someone invite me to WoL please? Ingame: treemaster

Friend me up in game and I will invite.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Oh man the Shadowhawk-2D2 is back baby. 4 SRM 4's and an AC-10 and murdering the poo poo out of everything, back to back 800 damage matches this morning before breakfast.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Washout posted:

Oh man the Shadowhawk-2D2 is back baby. 4 SRM 4's and an AC-10 and murdering the poo poo out of everything, back to back 800 damage matches this morning before breakfast.

Link to the build? I'm curious.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Almost tier 3. :toot:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Do any of the Timberwolves in the sale give you bonus CBills?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

tarbrush posted:

Do any of the Timberwolves in the sale give you bonus CBills?

Only if they're a (C) or the (I) model. I dont think the C exists for Clans.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

If you want to have a clan give you bonus cbills you have to buy a pack

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Super 3 posted:

Only if they're a (C) or the (I) model. I dont think the C exists for Clans.

Champion mechs do not give bonus C-bills.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ZenVulgarity posted:

If you want to have a clan give you bonus cbills you have to buy a pack

I bought the light pack and can attest that a cheater with +30% cbills and premium time is like a ceaseless money fountain.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

Almost tier 3. :toot:

Going up in tiers is a trap. Tier 5 for easy mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Tier 3 is schizophrenic because some games you run up against the mega-tryhards and other games you could take on all 12 enemies by yourself

• Locked thread