Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rumda posted:

Caylus, Orleans, Archipelago or Keyflower which three games should I take tonight?

Leave one of Caylus or Keyflower, since after you play one everyone will hate you too much to play the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Is Fury of Dracula any good with 2 players? It's $38 with prime shipping on Amazon right now, and my most frequent player counts are either 2 or 4 (though when playing with 4, we are often time constrained because kids)

I like it quite a bit with two people. it's more of a wits vs wits situation. it does get to be a bit much managing all four hunters at once, and the Dracula player may get bored of waiting, but overall I think it's decent with just two. I haven't had the chance to play it with more than two people though.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Rumda posted:

Caylus, Orleans, Archipelago or Keyflower which three games should I take tonight?

Orleans and Keyflower.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played some Archipelago a little while ago, really enjoyed it. It was fun with two player, felt like an entirely different game with five players though. With two player, it's much more adversarial - there's no significant threat from independence looming, so you're mostly free to do what you want. Though some of the game end objectives (like having all the exploration tokens taken) seemed nearly impossible to reach. Thankfully you get four total. In five players, we explored quickly, nearly lost as a result of all the free workers, and found out that the 'cooperative' part of 'semi-cooperative' was really important. After we started working together in producing all the correct resources, things got better. Both times I won, somehow, despite not really planning for it.

I'd buy it if it wasn't 90 bucks. I think I saw it for 80 as well, but eh, too much because I was buying other stuff.

Bought and played some Argent: The Consortium, too. I enjoy that one. It's probably the most accessible worker placement game I've played, since it's not a matter of planning out your moves six turns ahead. If someone blocks your poo poo, you can wound, banish, move, or shadow them, which is really nice. The theme is much more fun and fantastical than 'farmers...again', and with all the different routes to victory, there's a lot to plan for. Plus, wizards. I'm still poo poo at the game but I'm looking forward to playing more.

Also got Galaxy Trucker: Missions and the Space Alert expansion, but I'll be lucky if I can play either of those at all, expansion or no. Still so many Galaxy Trucker modules I own that I need to try out :(

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

BonHair posted:

Wizkids did something! What the hell!
I recieved a plain envelope (padded though) with no explanation, just the following:

It's obviously the replacement bits for Mage Knight: Shades of Tezla. I decided to do a count of the stuff. At first I was confused because there were more bits than there should have been. I did double check my counts and the rules (both new and old), but there were too many, so I laid them out:

Turns out they just went "gently caress it!" and decided that I should have two of every enemy token, even the ones that are labeled "1x". That's cool, but I assume there is some balance thing going on with there being only one included.

Also: The colour is still slightly off on the tokens, but that might also be fading on my bits. I dunno, but they're the right size. I forgot to compare the cards before packing away, but they're much better i can say. At a guess, I'd say their printing is sharper in the new (top row) than the old (bottom), which is good in a bad way I guess.

Hey they hosed up and left the vampirism marker off of one of the tokens.

Do we have a "THAT'S WIZKIDS" emote?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

canyoneer posted:

Is Fury of Dracula any good with 2 players? It's $38 with prime shipping on Amazon right now, and my most frequent player counts are either 2 or 4 (though when playing with 4, we are often time constrained because kids)

I'd be interested to hear more opinions on this, as well.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Zaphod42 posted:

What's the best pirate themed game?

I really enjoy Merchants and Marauders.

I didn't find Keyflower to be as good as this thread hyped it to be. I'll play it several more times before I pass final judgement, but...eh.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've only played Keyflower once, so take my words with a grain of salt: I really enjoyed it, but I definitely know its not for everyone. It's dry, full of micromanaging and number crunching, and really lacks broad appeal. However, the things it does, it does well, for reasons I can't really describe. I'm itching to play it again but I know that there's no way like 80% of the people I play games with would ever want to check it out.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My buddy John, of Game On! with Cody & John fame, has started a Youtube channel. Check him out if you like a game review segment that has a script and no shaky-cam.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD7CaowOvlDmLW9CdA7FE_w

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I've only played Keyflower once, so take my words with a grain of salt: I really enjoyed it, but I definitely know its not for everyone. It's dry, full of micromanaging and number crunching, and really lacks broad appeal. However, the things it does, it does well, for reasons I can't really describe. I'm itching to play it again but I know that there's no way like 80% of the people I play games with would ever want to check it out.

I like it because it's pretty much in its own class as far as middle-weight Euros go, except maybe Hansa Teutonica which is even drier theme-wise. There's relatively low downtime between turns, the rules are simple, it stands up to repeated play, plays well and differently at every player count between 2-6, and is one of the most directly interactive Euros out there, even more so than Caylus. A lot of my friends that aren't typically into anything more than lightweight stuff like Love Letter or whatever really like it and will play when I bring it to meetups, which I don't think is a coincidence.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

taser rates posted:

I like it because it's pretty much in its own class as far as middle-weight Euros go, except maybe Hansa Teutonica which is even drier theme-wise. There's relatively low downtime between turns, the rules are simple, it stands up to repeated play, plays well and differently at every player count between 2-6, and is one of the most directly interactive Euros out there, even more so than Caylus. A lot of my friends that aren't typically into anything more than lightweight stuff like Love Letter or whatever really like it and will play when I bring it to meetups, which I don't think is a coincidence.

I probably don't like it because I lost.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Beffer posted:

Have any goons played the FFG Warhammer Quest card game? It has good reviews but it is hard to tell with anything even indirectly related to GW. What do people here think of it?

For reference, I understand it only has very limited deck building elements. That's a positive from my perspective as I'm not into spending hours optimising decks outside the game.

What is the play like? Is it very heavily dice dependent? Or can you puzzle your way through the scenarios?

If you check my post history in this thread you'll find my rundown. As someone else said, it captures the feel of descent. It has some really awesome mechanics and plays far, far better in my opinion than either of its predecessors (LOTR and Death Angel). It is actually a great game to play solo, something that I've never felt about any game before, and it succeeds in this because the upkeep where the game plays itself is incredibly smooth. I tried it out to learn the rules to better explain them and ended up playing through the whole campaign over the course of the week just because I was having a good time.

It does have limited replayability though. The campaign is short (~4 hours) and doesn't hold up well on a second run through. The random mega-dungeon that is essentially a campaign in its own right and which is supposed to offer true replayability is unfortunately broken out of the box. It could be fixed in a FAQ and there are lots of house-rule solutions out there but as is the difficulty can be trivialized. Kind of a problem when that's what is supposed to keep you coming back.

What gets me about the game most though is that it's clearly been shorn off at the knees to pave the way for the inevitable expansions and it absolutely didn't have to be. It feels like a demo for what could be an awesome game system and given that there's only maybe 4-5 hours of real game play there, it is. Even their LCG intro boxes tend to offer more gameplay than WHQ has, and those are explicitly marketed at starter sets.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

djfooboo posted:

My buddy John, of Game On! with Cody & John fame, has started a Youtube channel. Check him out if you like a game review segment that has a script and no shaky-cam.

Hooray! I missed these guys when they went off the air--my only solace being that Shut Up & Sit Down came online around the same time.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Got Codenames and took it with me to the cottage where we spent the new year's with about a dozen people and everyone loving loved it if only because the spymasters trying to keep their poker faces on while they listen to the complete monkeycheese logic explanations as their team try to figure out the words is really fun. At one point both spymasters had to leave the room during one very inspired round of guessing because they couldn't keep a straight face.

When I was spymaster my opponent had both 'match' and 'date' (I of course would've just said Tinder: 2) and decided to try Valentine's: 2. His girlfriend then explained that he probably forgot what month Valentine's Day is in and guessed 'march' which was one of my words. Never felt to bad for someone else during a game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HerraS posted:

Got Codenames and took it with me to the cottage where we spent the new year's with about a dozen people and everyone loving loved it if only because the spymasters trying to keep their poker faces on while they listen to the complete monkeycheese logic explanations as their team try to figure out the words is really fun. At one point both spymasters had to leave the room during one very inspired round of guessing because they couldn't keep a straight face.

When I was spymaster my opponent had both 'match' and 'date' (I of course would've just said Tinder: 2) and decided to try Valentine's: 2. His girlfriend then explained that he probably forgot what month Valentine's Day is in and guessed 'march' which was one of my words. Never felt to bad for someone else during a game.

Wow, that's brutal.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

That's hilarious.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Codenames is so great. being the spymaster is just attempting to maintain composure as your brain is screaming at your entire team. the length is perfect, too; every time we played it everyone kept wanting to play one more round after we finished. definitely had a lot of those "is he/she really thinking about it on that level" "does he/she know that fact about that thing" moments similar to HerraS's story.

why oh why didn't they print the words on square cards, though?? :confused: and it really doesn't need the theme at all.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I had people over tonight and successfully avoided playing Betrayal at House on the Hill. One of the games we did play was Codenames, and of course everyone loving loved it. One friend even brought her copy because she didn't know I owned it. If that game doesn't become the new gold standard for board games, it's only due to poor distribution, because I've never played it in any situation where it wasn't a huge hit with everyone.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Anyone going to try Tabletopia?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Found the best troll play in codenames over the holidays. Team Blue's spymaster gave a strong, smart clue for two words. Team Red's spies immediately started joking about how "obviously" it "had" to be one of the words on the board. The thing is, team red was right and they knew it. Team Blue, made of smart people but also some class A overthinkers, decided that team red couldn't possibly suggest a correct word to them, so chose a different, wrong word.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Glass posted:

why oh why didn't they print the words on square cards, though?? :confused: and it really doesn't need the theme at all.

I don't mind the shape of the cards but it pisses me off that the upside down copy of each word is printed slightly smaller, off-center, italicized, and in way lower contrast. WHY aren't both sides nice bold print black-on-white. it's seriously easier to just read the bigger words upside-down

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Between codenames and mysterium which do you prefer? Thinking about picking up mysterium.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Zaphod42 posted:

Between codenames and mysterium which do you prefer? Thinking about picking up mysterium.

Def Codenames. Mysterium is fun in its own right but I've played it twice now and I'm not hyped to play it a bajillion more times like I am with Codenames.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Took part in a frustrating game of codenames where the team's first guesses were almost always correct but they also almost always discussed themselves out of their correct first impression :haw:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Also I picked up Patchwork. The rules say activate the button income or leather 1x1 pieces whenever you land on or pass them. But the indicators are "between" spaces implying that either you can only pass them (ie they are between spaces), or they in fact occupy two spaces each (and could trigger more than one for the same button by landing "on it then passing it.) Anyone else wonder this?

I learned the rules on the spot so maybe I missed something.

E: apparently it's a translation issue. Should only be when the icons are passed (pad only not on or pass)

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 7, 2016

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Zaphod42 posted:

Both. They're so cheap!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Sinewave posted:

Took part in a frustrating game of codenames where the team's first guesses were almost always correct but they also almost always discussed themselves out of their correct first impression :haw:

I had a game where I gave a clue for 2 and my team proceeded to name five of our other six words in discussion before they started touching.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Has anyone gotten their hands on Xenon Profiteer yet? Interested to hear your thoughts if so. I like the sound of it in theory at least, but I could see it getting same-y after a few games.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Stormgale posted:

Thats the main reason I am tempted to drop the 400 and do a proper review of it because I hate myself and because I want to see how bad it can really be.

Do it! Saves me the money.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

djfooboo posted:

Just watched his Patchwork review. Videos was top notch and well worth subscribing to the channel, so thanks for the hot tip.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Ralp posted:

I don't mind the shape of the cards but it pisses me off that the upside down copy of each word is printed slightly smaller, off-center, italicized, and in way lower contrast. WHY aren't both sides nice bold print black-on-white. it's seriously easier to just read the bigger words upside-down
I agree, I'm surprised nobody noticed it during playtesting.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Just finished an amazing 5p session of Fury of Dracula that saw Drac go from having us tied in knots, chasing shadows for 5 or 6 turns without having picked up his trail, to cornering him just outside of Castle Drac and massacring him with a 4 on 1 dogpile. Great game.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
New Year new games.

Bunny Bunny Moose Moose went down well and has been asked for again. My girlfriend was nervous about playing it because she was scared shed do rubbish by not remembering, but that all turned around when she was narrator and watched us all pull silly faces and end up with no points. Codenames was, as usual, a total success.

I set up Mage Knight to start playing solo, a round or two an evening, to have as an ongoing adventure and to get some taste of late game. I have others who I've played the tutorial with and enjoyed it but it is so time demanding I've decided to just play it myself. Is there some guide as to how to change your strat for each character, or is that just part of the fun? One of them seemed to use wound cards, the green dragon uses crystals more, one of them does more recruiting, etc.

Not really a resolution, but going to try to do more social gaming this year. We shall see!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Ralp posted:

yeah, this too. they could have just left it off and printed the regular one larger, even. the upside down one just detracts from the overall legibility.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Fat Turkey posted:

I set up Mage Knight ... Is there some guide as to how to change your strat for each character, or is that just part of the fun? One of them seemed to use wound cards, the green dragon uses crystals more, one of them does more recruiting, etc.

Not really a resolution, but going to try to do more social gaming this year. We shall see!

Definitely that's part of the fun, and your plans will change when you don't draw their signature skills. In solo the end-of-game fights are harder than in multiplayer (even co-op), made up for by you having the pick of everything before that. So do make sure you're at least considering them as you choose rewards for most of the game.

Do more solo gaming instead, people are bad.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Re codenames cards, some people simply cannot (easily) read upside down. The understated line is there for them. All others read the main black on white.

There is no world in which a card with two equally prominent but mirrored versions of a text doesn't look confused/ing as gently caress to most people.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
So Catan has moved from Mayfair Games to Asmodee NA, further swelling Asmodee's all-consuming mass. (BGG, Mayfair's press release)

I know no one here cares much about Catan as a hunk of cardboard. But on an industry level, this is kinda earth-shaking news.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The End posted:

Both. They're so cheap!

Haha :retrogames: They are affordable but I'd rather grab one for now and get the other one down the line. I guess codenames will be first.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Gutter Owl posted:

So Catan has moved from Mayfair Games to Asmodee NA, further swelling Asmodee's all-consuming mass. (BGG, Mayfair's press release)

I know no one here cares much about Catan as a hunk of cardboard. But on an industry level, this is kinda earth-shaking news.

Holy crap, what is mayfair gonna do with their custom painted Catan van now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Gutter Owl posted:

Catan Studio posted:

Catan Studio will be run by Peter Fenlon, formerly CEO of Mayfair Games. The new unit will be “…dedicated to the development of a broad array of Catan content as well as growing, supporting, and nurturing the Catan community.”

There's a Catan community? :psyduck: