Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I wouldnt even call Gloom a "game", there is almost nothing there at all. It's not even a good experience generator, you could just as soon draw random cards from a deck and make up stories about the Jack of Diamonds.

I feel ya. I beat my girlfriend the first game cause I was killing my guys so fast and she was getting frustrated I was "winning so fast."

I told her that it was just luck of the draw and not to worry about it much.

the clear cards are cool I guess too :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

If I have trouble getting people to play Race for the Galaxy, I think it'll be impossible to get them into Eminent Domain. Maybe I shouldn't have picked it up! :v:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

MrDru posted:

They are also a dream to shuffle. Every gamer should own Gloom just to sit and shuffle those things.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If I have trouble getting people to play Race for the Galaxy, I think it'll be impossible to get them into Eminent Domain. Maybe I shouldn't have picked it up! :v:

Eh I think it's a lot simpler/straightforward and a hell of a lot easier to teach. You might be fine.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Bottom Liner posted:

I agree, Rodney and his format is the most comprehensive and approachable by far. The only critique I have of him is that his release schedule is pretty slow, but that's a given really since he seems to be a one man operation. I know once or twice he did brief overviews but never a full how to play for a game I wanted to learn so I had to depend on some other source to see it in depth, and this was months after he put up the initial look for the game.

The way he says "cards" gives me the heebie jeebies for some reason.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got two solo games of Machi Koro in for practice on teaching the rules. It's pretty cool. I don't see it being my favorite game, but it seems to do a lot of Catan style stuff without a lot of the bad parts of that game. And it's quick. Seems like a nice, light game with a little strategy that you can use between other stuff.

I'm interested to see what my group thinks about it.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."

dropkickpikachu posted:

The way he says "cards" gives me the heebie jeebies for some reason.

My wife and I just repeat "Cerds!" over and over when watching his videos.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Huntsekker posted:

My wife and I just repeat "Cerds!" over and over when watching his videos.

Khaerds

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
"Eye-ron"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Rodney's Canadian roots are strong and proud.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

So why is it every review I find for that Kickstarted Monstrosity Kingdom Death Says it's the second coming of christ? I mean it has one of the biggest geek/user rating disparities on BGG i've ever seen.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Most likely https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation_of_commitment

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Stormgale posted:

So why is it every review I find for that Kickstarted Monstrosity Kingdom Death Says it's the second coming of christ? I mean it has one of the biggest geek/user rating disparities on BGG i've ever seen.

Geeks love plastic titties

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

sector_corrector posted:

I got two solo games of Machi Koro in for practice on teaching the rules. It's pretty cool. I don't see it being my favorite game, but it seems to do a lot of Catan style stuff without a lot of the bad parts of that game. And it's quick. Seems like a nice, light game with a little strategy that you can use between other stuff.

I'm interested to see what my group thinks about it.

Don't get the expansion(s), I think they ruin the game with the changing market.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

ETB posted:

Don't get the expansion(s), I think they ruin the game with the changing market.

The first expansion messes with the game balance by adding so many red cards. It has made many games slow to a crawl because virtually no money was being generated. Instead it was mostly just getting passed between players. I don't know about the other one though.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Have any goons played the FFG Warhammer Quest card game? It has good reviews but it is hard to tell with anything even indirectly related to GW. What do people here think of it?

For reference, I understand it only has very limited deck building elements. That's a positive from my perspective as I'm not into spending hours optimising decks outside the game.

What is the play like? Is it very heavily dice dependent? Or can you puzzle your way through the scenarios?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Beffer posted:

Have any goons played the FFG Warhammer Quest card game? It has good reviews but it is hard to tell with anything even indirectly related to GW. What do people here think of it?

For reference, I understand it only has very limited deck building elements. That's a positive from my perspective as I'm not into spending hours optimising decks outside the game.

What is the play like? Is it very heavily dice dependent? Or can you puzzle your way through the scenarios?

I think the goon consensus so far has been 'Decent with very limited replayability'. There are some reviews earlier in the thread if you can be arsed to trawl through.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Azran posted:

Someone on the BGG boards realized Warmachine/Hordes High Command plays much better if you dump the part of the game where you pay to play your cards again after buying them. After doing some simple math it seems it was intended to work like this but they switched it to the way it is now just a bit before release and they didn't change the underlying formula. I have no idea if it makes it a better game but :lol: what a gently caress up, boys.

It was much easier to play that game by working to keep people from taking territories than it was to actually try to take territories - you could afford more VP cards from your deck that way. (There never should have been VP in player decks to begin with)

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Stormgale posted:

From the looks of it, this might be the best or worst game ever.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wizkids did something! What the hell!
I recieved a plain envelope (padded though) with no explanation, just the following:

It's obviously the replacement bits for Mage Knight: Shades of Tezla. I decided to do a count of the stuff. At first I was confused because there were more bits than there should have been. I did double check my counts and the rules (both new and old), but there were too many, so I laid them out:

Turns out they just went "gently caress it!" and decided that I should have two of every enemy token, even the ones that are labeled "1x". That's cool, but I assume there is some balance thing going on with there being only one included.

Also: The colour is still slightly off on the tokens, but that might also be fading on my bits. I dunno, but they're the right size. I forgot to compare the cards before packing away, but they're much better i can say. At a guess, I'd say their printing is sharper in the new (top row) than the old (bottom), which is good in a bad way I guess.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 6, 2016

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Woah! Did you send them an email or something? I wouldn't mind that at all.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

Woah! Did you send them an email or something? I wouldn't mind that at all.

There was a post here linking to a BGG post where they said that you should go to their replacement website and just order the manual. I did that, and here we are!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

MrDru posted:

Those things are a pain in the neck. In theory it's a cool idea but in practice it's a huge nuisance checking out everyone else's cards to see what scores their characters have. I can't imagine doing it with someone who has AP. They also mean Gloom must be the only card game where sleeving makes a mechanical difference.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

House Louse posted:

They also mean Gloom must be the only card game where sleeving makes a mechanical difference.

Sleeves make a mechanical difference in Magic, but only if you have a Chaos Orb.

Recaffeinated
Jul 11, 2007
Fuck decaf.

Stormgale posted:

I think the geek rating on BGG is just a Bayesian estimate that is calculated by adding a certain number of average scores to the pool of user scores in order to pull games with few reviews towards the average. Basically BGG starts out by assuming a game is average, then each user review pulls the geek score away from the average a little bit until with a ton of user reviews the system is convinced that the user score is correct and the geek score will be very close to that. The big disparity that you're seeing means that the game it is really highly rated but by only a few people.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I have a dream of making a YouTube series on how to play board games, with good editing and production, with tripods, not shakey-cam, rehearsed explanation, and a camera that shows the game at all times, and not my face.

Unfortunately, any camera worth a drat with zoom and manual focus costs...you know, money.

It is unfortunate that something as shoddy as Rahdos videos are the ones I see referenced the most.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Caylus, Orleans, Archipelago or Keyflower which three games should I take tonight?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Keyflower and the two expansions

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
What's the best pirate themed game? I'm looking at Merchants and Marauders and Sky Traders, both seem alright. Anything else out there in that area I should check out?

Yeah sky traders isn't strictly pirates but anything with a ship where you transport booty works for me.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Sleeves make a mechanical difference in Magic, but only if you have a Chaos Orb.

Don't forget chaos confetti. Good luck tearing it up without removing it from the sleeve.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Beffer posted:

It's really good. It has dice but you get something stupid like a 75%-80% success rate at minimum due to how the success icons are distributed, so rolling the dice is actually "let's see how successful I am" instead of "let's see if I miss and waste my turn" like in, I dunno, D&D. The design takes things from both Death Angel and the LOTR LCG but, like you said, there's no deckbuilding and it's mostly one big puzzle of optimizing the way you and your team use your abilities. Outside of situations like combat with an enemy with a lot of armor (which cancel out low amounts of damage) I haven't really seen people get screwed by the dice.

All that said, there's only four heroes with limited upgrade options and five quests + a random, repeatable dungeon. It sold like crazy so expect expansions, but right now replay value is limited.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

One major potential downside [to Warhammer Quest] is that it's really quarterbackable, since there's no hidden information. But the one scenario I played was pretty fun. Seems like it could be a LOTR-lite for people who don't like to/want to deckbuild. It's also a Warhammer game, so it just reminds me that Diskwars is probably dead. :rip:

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Zaphod42 posted:

What's the best pirate themed game?

Libertalia

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

GrandpaPants posted:

it just reminds me that Diskwars is probably dead. :rip:

So it's joined Warhammer Fantasy Battle then :v:

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Expansions day! Got Eldritch Horror: Under the Pyramids, Kemet: Ta-Seti, Valley of the Kings: Afterlife (I already own, for a friend), and Netrunner: Data & Destiny at the door just now :3

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

GrandpaPants posted:

One major potential downside [to Warhammer Quest] is that it's really quarterbackable, since there's no hidden information. But the one scenario I played was pretty fun. Seems like it could be a LOTR-lite for people who don't like to/want to deckbuild. It's also a Warhammer game, so it just reminds me that Diskwars is probably dead. :rip:

The fact there's no deckbuilding makes it preferable to the LOTR LCG for me. :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Is Fury of Dracula any good with 2 players? It's $38 with prime shipping on Amazon right now, and my most frequent player counts are either 2 or 4 (though when playing with 4, we are often time constrained because kids)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
So did XCOM turn out to be any good?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm considering it because my solo progression goes like MK->LOTR->nothing right now...and sometimes you just don't want to think that much or deckbuild haha.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

lordsummerisle posted:

From the looks of it, this might be the best or worst game ever.

Thats the main reason I am tempted to drop the 400 and do a proper review of it because I hate myself and because I want to see how bad it can really be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

General Battuta posted:

So did XCOM turn out to be any good?
I find most of the roles pretty boring: I think one of the few with actual agency is the scientist. The others are just reacting to the threats on the board and since there is only one way to solve them it's just about hoping you get lucky on your rolls. I was severely underwhelmed when i played the game and although the app is neat, the meat of the game doesn't make up for it. I would try it for the novelty but not actually buy it.