Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Thronde posted:

Goddamn, can't say I ever made that much an hour in a RES.
I have in my Python. Trawl for Anacondas, FDLs and Pythons and quite easily hit one million in bounty. It helps having a long range scanner.

My loadout is one C3 beam to melt shields then 4 multicannons to take off the rest. For some reason Anacondas are very soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Hunting a High-Res in a vulture is an easy thing as well.

Prior to some patch changes it was very easy to hit 1-2 million in an hour, still beyond easy to hit 1.5m in an hour, even more if you get a good roll.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

LCL-Dead posted:

Hunting a High-Res in a vulture is an easy thing as well.

Prior to some patch changes it was very easy to hit 1-2 million in an hour, still beyond easy to hit 1.5m in an hour, even more if you get a good roll.

Guess I just get poo poo instances then, I rarely see Condas/Pythons/FDLs in Hi or Haz RES

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Thronde posted:

Guess I just get poo poo instances then, I rarely see Condas/Pythons/FDLs in Hi or Haz RES

You don't even need them to be honest. Shoot everything in a Haz res, shoot all of the wanted things in a high res.

Vipers are still worth upwards of 25-30k per ship and if you farm 10 ships in 15 minutes that's at least 250-300k in 1/4 of an hour. You're still on track for 1mil/hr.

Think of the larger ships as bonus prizes and you'll be fine as you scoot along. If you need to flip the RES, jump our and back in or switch game modes, it's that simple.

I took some tadpole to the High res in Xihe and farmed him almost 800k in about 45 minutes on New Years Eve. With a vulture, you can rack up mad cash.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I've been operating out of LHS 277 lately, I've been hitting up the normal RES there, and I pretty much always come back with a million, though I don't watch the time.

Spawns do seem to vary wildly, sometimes I go there and its nothing but poo poo tier eagles and sidewinders, then next trip it'll be wall to wall pythons and anacondas.

If the RES you're trawling isn't paying well, try jumping to supercruise and coming back to reset the spawns, you might get lucky.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thronde posted:

I've found multiple Pythons and FDLs in a normal RES playing in a night, and at least one Anaconda :shrug: Handful of the first two in the lowest level RES too, though not sure I found any Anacondas there.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

KakerMix posted:

This is my impression as well. You know how we have these single city port things on airless worlds all over the place right now? The handcrafted part of the moon is probably massive cities considering its right next to Earth. Probably full of historic districts and poo poo too.

I'm betting on a lot of the handcrafting being devoted to vast and irregularly-bordered no-fly-zones, with stacks of sprites and simple shapes arranged to look like busy mega cities from kilometers away. From a lore standpoint there's no sane reason to let independent pilots within even a couple dozen kilometers distance if soft cities housing millions. From a more practical technical standpoint it would be very unlikely to look as good as the rest of the game without locking out all but the most cutting-edge PCs.

Even being able to land on such populated worlds is going to be a rare treat, nevermind touring the populated zones.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dandywalken posted:

Oh I've no idea. I just want a drat guild tag equivalent, even if just an aesthetic.

Yeah no kidding. I'm not a computer programmer man but would it be that much effort to just be able to claim a faction and have it show up under your name when you're scanned? What about typing s name in for your ship?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I tried out a Robigo run and kept getting interdicted the same instant I would drop into the new system. Almost ever jump. I guess I can try again. :smith:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mike the TV posted:

I tried out a Robigo run and kept getting interdicted the same instant I would drop into the new system. Almost ever jump. I guess I can try again. :smith:

If you do the submit then jump you'll keep getting interdicted. If you 'win' the interdiction they seem to leave you alone after for the most part.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think it's because failing to interdict puts the FSI on a cooldown, while submitting doesn't. Which is great sometimes when the escape target randomly hops to 90* off course and you auto-fail them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I went exploring again, this time in an exploration fit Cobra instead of the Hauler, and it's much better. The Hauler was just so slow and sluggish at doing everything, including charging the jump. Also the Cobra handles heat MUCH better, so even though it chews through a lot more fuel, it can actually scoop it back up faster, even though I downsized to a 3A scoop instead of a 4A scoop for cost reasons. I can scoop at 100+ / second while keeping heat below 63%.

Also the heat management in general is so much nicer in the Cobra, it's not nearly as sensitive to accidentally charging the drive before getting completely cooled down.

While I was out, I got sort of curious about just how fast I could go in super-cruise, so I pointed at a star 20.7ly away and told Chewie to punch it. A long time later, I finally got bored and said to hell with this, even though I was still slowly accelerating. I jumped at 1617c, having reduced the distance to the target star to 20.6ly, and the travel time to below 5d in super-cruise (but I'm pretty sure it would have run out of fuel long before that 5d was up).

I had a brief moment of wondering if some small percentage of the speed you jump at gets carried with you to your destination, but since I didn't punch a Cobra sized hole through the target star when I arrived, apparently you don't!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
People have tried, and if you just let it sit until you supercruise to another system you'll be 0 ly away from it but still won't see the star.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Speed caps at 2500c AFAIK.

The Locator posted:

So I went exploring again, this time in an exploration fit Cobra instead of the Hauler, and it's much better. The Hauler was just so slow and sluggish at doing everything, including charging the jump. Also the Cobra handles heat MUCH better, so even though it chews through a lot more fuel, it can actually scoop it back up faster, even though I downsized to a 3A scoop instead of a 4A scoop for cost reasons. I can scoop at 100+ / second while keeping heat below 63%.
A 4C costs half as much as a 3A, and scoops 50% faster.

Rating isn't as important as size for fuel scoops. I generally fit the largest I can without sacrificing role viability (so for exploring that's the largest I can, period).

Do you know about coriolis.io? It's great for experimenting with stuff like this. 99% of the questions people ask about builds in these threads can be answered by just screwing around with it for 5 minutes.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 6, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

tooterfish posted:

Speed caps at 2500c AFAIK.

A 4C costs half as much as a 3A, and scoops 50% faster.

Rating isn't as important as size for fuel scoops. I generally fit the largest I can without sacrificing role viability (so for exploring that's the largest I can, period).

Do you know about coriolis.io? It's great for experimenting with stuff like this. 99% of the questions people ask about builds in these threads can be answered by just screwing around with it for 5 minutes.

Thanks. I do have the build in there but for some stupid reason I didn't experiment with non-A fuel scoops. Oh well, next time!

Based on my acceleration at 1600c+, it would take hours to get up to 2500c.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Zoom!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

dem heat vents :fap:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Say what you like about Imperial construction, it's pretty.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Drake_263 posted:

Say what you like about Imperial construction, it's pretty.

It sure is. On the outside.

Where are my loving fancy chairs?

I didn't smuggle a small planet's weight in slaves to buy a ship where I sit in the same cheap crap as the federal oiks!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

xiansi posted:

It sure is. On the outside.

Where are my loving fancy chairs?

I didn't smuggle a small planet's weight in slaves to buy a ship where I sit in the same cheap crap as the federal oiks!
Hey now, the chairs are white post 1.5. That's good, right :downs:

But yeah, completely agreed. I also find it somewhat interesting that art you posted is basically the inside of the Clipper rather than the Courier. Was that official concept art or fan art?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I feel like the names for the Cutter and Clipper were swapped around at some point since their uses feel like they don't match the name.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I feel like the names for the Cutter and Clipper were swapped around at some point since their uses feel like they don't match the name.
Yeah I don't really know what happened there. The Courier (in previous Elite games) was a much bigger ship with 3 engines and the Cutter was described (in one of the books) as being roughly Anaconda sized but much more agile and with less guns (which is basically the Clipper now that I think about it). The Cutter seems to have mistakenly ended up with the Panther Clipper's stats :v:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

MoraleHazard posted:

Is that a High Intensity RES and what ship were you in?

Regular intensity, and I was in a Viper IV with A rank shield battery (?), b rank thrusters, C rank shields and 2 gimballed class 2 pulse + 2 class 1 gatling guns (rotary cannons?) . I basically got really lucky in that four system security guys in more or less the same ship I had also spawned so I spent the time popping anacondas and Fer-de-Lances.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Yeah, the names were not decided on at that point (although it seems that fancy Imperial ship = a "C....er" pattern, so we await the Imperial Cruiser/Criticiser/Crapper etc.)

Mercurius posted:

that art you posted is basically the inside of the Clipper rather than the Courier. Was that official concept art or fan art?

It was official concept art. Talking of which:

https://imgur.com/a/x0vWb

:frontear: have some good concept artists...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mercurius posted:

Yeah I don't really know what happened there. The Courier (in previous Elite games) was a much bigger ship with 3 engines and the Cutter was described (in one of the books) as being roughly Anaconda sized but much more agile and with less guns (which is basically the Clipper now that I think about it). The Cutter seems to have mistakenly ended up with the Panther Clipper's stats :v:
You might be thinking of the Imperial Trader. The Imperial Courier was bigger in Frontier, but it still only had two engine nacelles. It was a lot more like the Clipper is now.

It's the Courier that's in the intro sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzEj4Gq7fT4

And here's the intro recreated in ED with the Clipper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcjvQk1LeO8

edit: god I miss those giant fizzing hyperspace clouds.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 7, 2016

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

tooterfish posted:

You might be thinking of the Imperial Trader. The Imperial Courier was bigger in Frontier, but it still only had two engine nacelles. It was a lot more like the Clipper is now.

Yeah, that must be what I'm thinking of. I've never played the older games, just going off discussions of stuff from the brown sea.

xiansi posted:

https://imgur.com/a/x0vWb

:frontear: have some good concept artists...
They've done a really great job translating their concepts into the game but man, there's so much more stuff in there that I hope makes it into the game. The giant jellyfish shaped station and the space station built into the asteroid look so awesome.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

LCL-Dead posted:

IIRC it's because the moon is going to be a hand crafted location vice a generated body like the rest of the rocky airless types out there. Because of that, it's simply just not ready.

I too am salty over the lack of Thargoids.

I also believe that a lot of planets in SOL will be permit locked for the duration of the game. As in forever locked behind an unobtainable permit.

That's so lame.

I'm getting really tired of this feeling like an expensive alpha.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

tooterfish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzEj4Gq7fT4

And here's the intro recreated in ED with the Clipper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcjvQk1LeO8

edit: god I miss those giant fizzing hyperspace clouds.
That remake is pretty cool: they clearly tried to stay as faithful as possible.
I seem to recall that a few people complained (what else) in the brown sea when the new iCourier was shown because it was a small ship, clearly forgetting that the game already had the old Courier in the iClipper.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Amethyst posted:

That's so lame.

I'm getting really tired of this feeling like an expensive alpha.

What features do you not want in exchange for a hand crafted and realistic looking moon?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Anyway, what happened to the Panther Clipper? We had concept art, then a sneak peak with Frontier saying they've started to make the 3D-model, then nothing for about a year. Was there anything else and I just missed it?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

What features do you not want in exchange for a hand crafted and realistic looking moon?

Shipping a game with placeholder locations is lame. full stop. It's feature incomplete. This isn't a case of "Oh well if they made the moon then we wouldn't have flight thrusters!" It's a matter of "Our playerbase is willing to accept a moronic level of compromise in the environment, so we're going to just go with it."

Plus, it isn't only the moon thing. It's the lackluster mission design, and the shallow game systems.

Frontier have gotten away with a lot, thus far, because people view them as an underdog indie, but looking at those sales figures, this is a heavily resourced developer that we should expect better from.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Libluini posted:

Anyway, what happened to the Panther Clipper? We had concept art, then a sneak peak with Frontier saying they've started to make the 3D-model, then nothing for about a year. Was there anything else and I just missed it?
It's called the Imperial Cutter, didn't you get the memo?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mercurius posted:

It's called the Imperial Cutter, didn't you get the memo?

Very funny, now let's get real

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Amethyst posted:

Shipping a game with placeholder locations is lame. full stop. It's feature incomplete. This isn't a case of "Oh well if they made the moon then we wouldn't have flight thrusters!" It's a matter of "Our playerbase is willing to accept a moronic level of compromise in the environment, so we're going to just go with it."

Plus, it isn't only the moon thing. It's the lackluster mission design, and the shallow game systems.

Frontier have gotten away with a lot, thus far, because people view them as an underdog indie, but looking at those sales figures, this is a heavily resourced developer that we should expect better from.

Well, you're right Frontier could have gone the Star Citizen route of promising everything and then working forever on non-releasable vapor ware.

I prefer playing a neat game with some flaws right now, instead of waiting around for the perfect game to be released

Because by then I can buy my own space ships and travel the universe

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Libluini posted:

Very funny, now let's get real

They hinted at it coming in season 2. Or more explicitly "large traders".

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Libluini posted:

Well, you're right Frontier could have gone the Star Citizen route of promising everything and then working forever on non-releasable vapor ware.

I prefer playing a neat game with some flaws right now, instead of waiting around for the perfect game to be released

Because by then I can buy my own space ships and travel the universe

Like I said, you're happy to play an expensive alpha. That's fine. I'm not.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Amethyst posted:

So don't?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Amethyst posted:

okay

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I stopped playing a couple of weeks ago, thanks for asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Not sure why I'm getting this kind of odd hostility, discussing the details of the game, in the Elite Dangerous thread.

• Locked thread