Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Have you had a stroke?
markov bot gettin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
nah it's just that word list with punctuation

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I didn't realize there had been an update to Chris's rant.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Have you had a stroke?
It's Matilda

revmoo posted:

From Matilda2013's Reddit:

I'm still convinced it's Sandi. If not her, then I'm at least 100% positive it's someone within CIG. It's interesting looking at where her posting career started and how she jumped _immediately_ into posting about the drama. I just have a hard time believing anyone at CIG would give this much of a poo poo aside from her.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So how many goons have been refused refunds at this point?

On a different topic, anyone have a link to when the SC goons first heard about Derek's initial blog?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Also it's so cute that Chris has finally heard of Thief: The Dark Project.

Remember when every game under the sun had a stealth section that the core gameplay in no way supported? Good times...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

G0RF posted:

Also, on the cognitive dissonance front. A post by Macharial420, who at Space Marshal tier has spent $5000+ on space pixels...

quote:

REDDIT: "A thought for every one yesterday who attacked the Occulus doubters..."

So... When people like me said this is why Star Citizen doesn't have a publisher, and just how evil and greedy Zuckerberg is, and how he will effect the launch... this is what we were talking about.

Thanks for the hostile closed minded personal attacks over a product that from the looks of it has very already lost the market's interest until the price goes down less than 6 hours after it's launch... I'm sure you must all be defending him and the price point just as stalwartly today.

I mean, "it's good hardware".

I'm sure many of you even took the time to come back, and correct the slander you dumped on any one with a questioning opinion. Thank you for taking the time to do that. It means a lot when people stand by their conviction enough to attack opposing viewpoints and then admit they were wrong. Looking at yourself in the mirror after an act of humility like that must be inspiring.

This is why you need to learn to not blindly follow a project and just what effect a 'publisher' actually has on a product.

And please, let the rest of us know how that $700 headset is while we patiently wait out the Vive.
The cognitive dissonance is palpable.

Don't keep your hopes so loving blindly inflated with a Chris Roberts funded project. That's the reality of who he is. The price doesn't reflect the product. People should wait.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zr88d/a_thought_for_every_one_yesterday_who_attacked/cyocot4

Just replace VCR with a given Star Citizen ship.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zr88d/a_thought_for_every_one_yesterday_who_attacked/cyoe72a

Best call me Derek Smart and run away ... proving the point of my post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zr88d/a_thought_for_every_one_yesterday_who_attacked/cyofuyz

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I just can't wait to see gazillion polygon air ducts in 4k VR.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Generic extra in a science fiction movie who gets mowed down by blaster fire in the first 5 minutes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wafflz posted:

I just can't wait to see gazillion polygon air ducts in 4k VR.
Can't wait for citizens to start a thread on "the inevitable consequence of duct crawling"

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

SelenicMartian posted:

Can't wait for citizens to start a thread on "the inevitable consequence of duct crawling"
can't wait for the unskippable vent grille removal and duct entry animation

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

On a different topic, anyone have a link to when the SC goons first heard about Derek's initial blog?

Good kick off point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx1VCIH6sEo&t=1340s

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

SelenicMartian posted:

This could be what makes Star Citizen a success. Games just don't have enough duct crawling. It's innovative concepts like this from a true visionary that will show those duct-hating publishers what real gamers want. HVAC module in two weeks.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ash1138 posted:

can't wait for the unskippable vent grille removal and duct entry animation

Do you think they will use an electric tool or a manual screwdriver? Control taken away as my spaceman undoes each screw then sets the vent cover on the floor and climbs in, all in glorious 60 field of view with nauseating head bob. Truly the BDVCSE

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Wafflz posted:

Do you think they will use an electric tool or a manual screwdriver? Control taken away as my spaceman undoes each screw then sets the vent cover on the floor and climbs in, all in glorious 60 field of view with nauseating head bob. Truly the BDVCSE
i don't know i can't predict what a genius will do!!!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Petition to make the official somethingawful sc gamer tag LLDS (litigious liek Derek Smart).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

G0RF posted:

Right now, there's a Thesis (Karl/Raess = Matilda) and Antithesis (Matilda = Sandi). But I think we are due for a Synthesis theory soon. I have one that I think makes a lot of sense but I really need to do more digging before I post it...
I'm curious about your unifying theory but you don't seem to accept PMs.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Public Swarms while Time remains prioritized in scoring/rewards system.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

doctor iono posted:

Public Swarms while Time remains prioritized in scoring/rewards system.

lmao

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I was looking for this a while back and stumbled on it again.

:lesnick: posted:

First of all, I need to say anyone telling you we aren’t communicating is wrong. We produce two (sometimes three) weekly shows, do a weekly Q&A livestream, a monthly magazine, daily Comm-Links and a monthly report that, while dry, literally lets our devs tell you everything they’re doing. We consciously try to have a variety of tones, from the highly polished Jump Point, the detailed wall of text of the monthly report to the informal Reverse the Verse sessions. Less formally, I spend time in the live chat every week answering questions, and I know that a number of other developers do as well. I try to answer questions here, on the great subreddit and on my personal Twitter when I can. I make it my goal to do at least one fan podcast each week, answering any questions they come up with.

Second: anyone telling you that we’re spending all of our efforts on social media is full of it. We spend no money and very little time on social, which should probably be clear with one glance at our Twitter. It’s 90% links back to the day’s Comm-Link and then occasionally fun things like office candids. There’s no new Star Citizen information presented there. I see the claim all the time, and I think it’s purely a case of ‘grass is greener’ syndrome… but no, social media isn’t getting any additional Star Citizen content that you aren’t privy to.

(If you’ll spare me an extra paragraph, I’d like to stress that my philosophy for social is that it’s necessary but needs to be genuine in order to matter. I know that a lot of our backers believe that it’s the devil incarnate, and I don’t entirely disagree… but it’s also a necessary communication tool in the 21st century. My goal with social is to keep it as genuine as humanly possible, because I feel like that’s a better sales pitch than anything artificial. So we use Facebook and Twitter to promote the Comm-Link primarily, and we don’t do any of the pretty easy “GET A MILLION FOLLOWERS!” social tricks we probably could (after all, when you see a stupid hashtag in the corner of a TV show do you feel anything but sad pity? And I’ll end with repeating my bias, which is that I met my wife on Twitter… and that happened because she liked my dumb jokes, not because I had a good Klout score :))

[And since I’m seeing it elsewhere in this discussion: Reddit is not social media. It’s simply another Star Citizen forum, one with an active userbase that’s pretty much the same as here. I like answering questions as a person in both places when I can, and I would never ask anyone on the team not to do that.]

I say all that to let you know our communication is a serious thing; it’s something we put a lot of thought and planning and careful limited-resource management into making possible. Is it always perfect? Absolutely not! But ignoring the effort (and the considerable success of that effort as it has changed over the last two years!) boils this down to a totally incorrect us-versus-them mentality. That is to say, if you’ve decided we’re out to get you, you probably aren’t going to change your mind. The reality is that every single person here (with the possible exception of some trolls) wants exactly the same thing: the best possible communication. So, remember that as we descent further into this debate! Compare AtV1 to AtV20 to AtV50 and you’ll see how much we believe in improving things (or, how the forums worked six months ago versus a year ago versus two years ago.)

Now, all of that said, constant improvement is absolutely the name of the game. Discussions like this with the community about expectations and desires have led to lots of great things that I think everyone takes for granted: the weekly Comm-Link schedule, reporting concept prices a week out and (coming soon!) the ship status grid. In fact, Turbulent is building the entire ‘Community Hub’ based on a lot of this feedback. Any time we can come up with an idea and implement it together, we do great things. So let’s use this discussion to make that happen again!

My biggest takeaway—and you can certainly correct me—is that we need to spend more time being visible on the forums. And to that I completely agree. I’m going to sit down with my team and figure out how to make that happen. I know James and Jared popped in earlier and shared the details of their week (which I had to force myself not to do, because it sounded like a fun thing to write out) and I certainly appreciate how insanely busy they both are… but we do need to be on the forums more.

I also know already that we need to be more visual. We want to share more of the game, we want to put out fancier assets… but no matter what you’re hearing, it’s NOT a case of making this incredible content appear out of thin air (when I see the expectation, I always think of a gag from the Simpsons with the softball team, and Mr. Burns crowing that ‘I told him to do that!’ after one of the ringers hits a home run.) We’re currently looking to hire a position that will allow us to do exactly this... but it’s a struggle even there, because one of my core beliefs is that the community team needs to stay small and not take resources away from the game. One thing about our workflow today is that we try very hard NOT to JIRA developers with community or marketing content… because every hour we pull someone from QA off their game task to capture a video is time that can be spent improving the game. It’s a balance we’re still working on, and one that will hopefully change a little in the near future.

"My goal with social (media) is to keep it as genuine as humanly possible, because I feel like that’s a better sales pitch than anything artificial".

:lesnick: sees his primary role as a salesman.

Here's one of his social media posts from earlier that month.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Wait wait wait

AdzAdama got a shout-out in Across the 'Verse?! Sorry if this is old news to anyone in the thread, but (18:33):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1cXVRJrVYs&t=18s

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

This could be what makes Star Citizen a success. Games just don't have enough duct crawling. It's innovative concepts like this from a true visionary that will show those duct-hating publishers what real gamers want. HVAC module in two weeks.
You might have a point. The old-school Alien vs Predator games were like 87% duct-crawling, and they were pretty amazing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

revmoo posted:

From Matilda2013's Reddit:

Derek "poo poo game" Smart sounds legit

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

AP posted:

I was looking for this a while back and stumbled on it again.

"My goal with social (media) is to keep it as genuine as humanly possible, because I feel like that’s a better sales pitch than anything artificial".

:lesnick: sees his primary role as a salesman.

Here's one of his social media posts from earlier that month.

"How do you abandon ship with so many people?"

So according to him, all that poo poo is already wrapped up, during the 8 month development cycle (for 1 ship). Yet recently, when Christ was asked how multicrew ships would work if people logged off, he had no idea. I guess abandoning ship vs. logging off is technically different, but this poo poo should have been ironed out years ago.

I will give them full credit in one thing - when I check out the PTU, I can definitely feel the 8 months development and that they thought of everything each time I fly a ship, no matter which one. Star Citizen development not so much.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So has Derek sued CiG yet

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The "Concern" forum: where threads go to die.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6207294/#Comment_6207294

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

This is the kind of person who would otherwise be storming vacant government buildings in the Oregon wilderness if not for Christ Roberts distracting him with spaceship JPEGs. Well done, Chris, you've done something mildly constructive.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ok, seriously where is that fanfic somebody posted that had Ben Lesnick being the warlord who's actually in charge and Chris as his fearful toady?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

KiddieGrinder posted:

Interesting choice of words from Eurogamer.

"The 50 most exciting games of 2016"

1100+ pages to notice your avatar is animated

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

flyboi posted:

So has Derek sued CiG yet

yes and he won, and is now lead developer of Star Citizen.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 is Live as Game Nears $100 Million in Crowd Funding

quote:

LOS ANGELES, December 11, 2015 — Cloud Imperium Games™ (CIG), the company behind the hugely popular Star Citizen ™ space simulation game, announced today that the game’s Alpha 2.0 version is now available for all backers to play. The major milestone comes as Star Citizen nears another milestone — more than $100 million in crowd funding. Star Citizen is recognized by Guinness World Records as the top crowd funded project and top crowd funded game in the world.

“Alpha 2.0 is a major breakthrough for Stars Citizen,” said Roberts. “It represents the first true slice of gameplay that includes much of what Star Citizen will bring to our fans: thrilling space combat in a massive play area, first person battles and multi-crew ships where you and your friends can adventure together in a portion of the universe on the same ship. It’s all technology that has never been undertaken to this scale and depth before in our industry.”

Some of the other features in Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 are:

· EVA (Extra Vehicular Activity) – drift out of your ship’s airlock and venture into the void of space and back

· 20+ random encounters – combat and exploration (lost wrecks and abandoned space stations)

· Quantum travel – travel in ships through the vastness of space at 0.2 the speed of light

· New flyable ships including the Constellation, the Retaliator and the Vanguard.

· Large world tech – explore extremely large expanses of space seamlessly, without loading screens

· Locations to explore:

o One planet (Crusader)

o Three moons

o Three distinct space stations

o One repair/restock station

o Nine comm arrays

· Wreckage to scavenge and never-ending battles in the Yela asteroid belt

· …and much more

Fans of Star Citizen continue to support the game in record numbers. There are now more than one-million “citizens.” There are more than 32-thousand fan-created organizations, the largest of which numbers more than 11-thousand people. Many players are active participants in forums, fan events, live streams, social media, and other events designed to give backers direct access to the dev team creating the game.

“We are forever grateful for our backers and fans,” said Roberts. “They been there from the beginning when we launched Star Citizen’s funding campaign three years ago. And they’ve helped create the most passionate and loyal community in our industry. They are helping us every step along the way in creating the best drat space sim ever.”

Star Citizen is 100% crowd funded and was officially announced on October 10, 2012. The money raised pays for the development of the game including the Roberts Space Industries platform where fans and backers can interact with the team, view multiple weekly webcasts about Star Citizen, learn about the story behind the game, read constant updates on the game’s progress and much more. Star Citizen is recognized by Guinness World Records as the top crowd funded project and game in the world. People interested in backing the project can do so at http://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge.

To see the Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 trailer click here.

About Cloud Imperium Games

Cloud Imperium Games Corporation and its subsidiary Roberts Space Industries Corp. were founded in April 2012 by renowned game developer Chris Roberts ( Wing Commander, Freelancer, Privateer) and his business partner and long-time international media attorney Ortwin Freyermuth. Operating from Los Angeles and Austin under Roberts’ leadership and using his long-standing relationships in the game space, Cloud Imperium quickly assembled a top tier development team for the creation of art assets, story elements, and an extensive prototype for Star Citizen. Once UK-based Erin Roberts joined in 2013 to contribute his extensive background in game production, the Roberts and Freyermuth added CIG's international operations in Manchester, UK to develop the mission driven Squadron 42 which is set in Star Citizen’s first person universe. Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are being marketed and launched via https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com . More information about the company, including jobs and contact information can be found at https://www.cloudimperiumgames.com .

Contact

David Swofford

Cloud Imperium Games

david.swofford@cloudimperiumgames.com

[This unedited press release is made available courtesy of Gamasutra and its partnership with notable game PR-related resource GamesPress.]

Thought it was interesting to see the spin for the press.

Vanguard isn't flyable I don't think.

quote:

Locations to explore:

o One planet (Crusader)

o Three moons

:awesomelon:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Games where you crawl through ducts a lot:

Alien Isolation - 8.4/10

Dead Space - 8/10

Half-Life 2 - 9.2/10

Games where you never crawl through ducts:

Ride to Hell: Retribution - 1.3/10

Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust - 1.7/10

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 - 1.5/10

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, seriously where is that fanfic somebody posted that had Ben Lesnick being the warlord who's actually in charge and Chris as his fearful toady?

I never found it, but it looked like they deleted a lot of the older fan fiction threads

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

It's not Cryengine, they just have to say it's Cryengine because of the license they have with Cryengine to use Cryengine, it's actually Star Engine :smug:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

e: nm

erm....

two weeks?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

biglads posted:

e: nm

erm....

two weeks?

Finally!
See you in the 'Universe!

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

peter gabriel posted:

It's not Cryengine, they just have to say it's Cryengine because of the license they have with Cryengine to use Cryengine, it's actually Star Engine :smug:

Bwahahafirkfckdeken

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bait and Swatch posted:

I never found it, but it looked like they deleted a lot of the older fan fiction threads

I just remember it being pretty horrific. Ben as the massive, greasy, space warlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

peter gabriel posted:

Impressive. Totally unrelated question: Can Sith use the Jedi mind trick?

• Locked thread