Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
didn't some people make a bunch of cool boss creatures that had like stats for each of their arms and stuff? Like 5 creatures worth of stats for one boss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Making a boss really just act like 4-5 individual characters is the brass tacks way of handling it, but it can be challenging to routinely diegetically justify that, and completely lifts the veil on gameplay mechanics, if that matters at all.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Section Z posted:

I'm sure there are more optimal feats for Rouges, but I like "Cunning Stalker". Which gives you Combat Advantage against any enemy you are the only creature next to (enemy or ally). So you can challenge someone to a duel and still use sneak attacks on them instead of needing flanking or status effect fuckery.

Nah, Cunning Stalker's solid. You should usually be in a position to either get cunning stalker or get flank, and one way or another definitely have CA.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
Wow, thanks for the awesome tips and the guideline, gradenko! I also used the other guideline you posted earlier to help figure out how the characters should be created, it was really helpful!

Network42 posted:

Also worth noting, if you're running a true solo at epic and your group is even vaguely optimized; the monster is going to need a way to basically ignore or work through lots of status effects or it will be skull hosed with dazes/stuns/dimensional prisons/whatever the gently caress.
Yeah, I know at least one guy in the group who will have put a ton of hours into his character to make sure it is the absolute min-maxed it could be (also note he said he'll be playing a controller class). I'm most worried about him when it comes to the campaign; at the same time, though, I don't want to be like "nope, none of your status attacks ever hit" with these monsters and make him (or anyone else) feel useless with their abilities...

gradenko_2000 posted:

Versatile Expertise gives you +1 to attack rolls per tier for any weapon you want to use.
The weapon-specific Expertise feats give you +1 to attack rolls per tier for that weapon type, and an additional bonus effect, in exchange for only working with that one specific weapon.

My personal stance is that you start with Versatile Expertise, and just give players the option to swap it out for a weapon-specific Expertise if they're CharOp-savvy enough to want to do so.

Alright, that's basically what I was gonna do. Were the Expertise feats errata'd at some point, though? PHB3 says that they'd get +1, +2 at level 15, and +3 at level 25 rather than at tiers.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yes; all the Expertise feats got errated to scale at 11/21.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Vinchenz posted:

Yeah, I know at least one guy in the group who will have put a ton of hours into his character to make sure it is the absolute min-maxed it could be (also note he said he'll be playing a controller class). I'm most worried about him when it comes to the campaign; at the same time, though, I don't want to be like "nope, none of your status attacks ever hit" with these monsters and make him (or anyone else) feel useless with their abilities...

Honestly talk to the player. Controllers are great. They can neutralize high priority targets like Brutes and Artillery. Just make sure his expectation is not to specifically render a dragon unconscious for an entire fight because that's dumb. A well played controller already contributes to boss fights by assuring that the other characters have spent fewer daily resources before getting there.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Does anyone have an updated Zeitgeist path files that includes the full themes and paragon paths?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Doubleposting - I'm running the Zeitgeist adventure path and that features a ton of skill checks outside of skill challenges for finding clues or whatever. I was thinking about changing the skill check rules for outside of a challenge to being as follows (no changes to combat):

Easy: Anyone not obviously incompetent succeeds (like, if you are blind you're failing the check to visually identify someone fails)
Medium: Anyone trained makes the check
Hard: Roll as normal - maybe with 2d10.

The other option is to just make skillchecks 2d10.

The idea is basically that the PCs are magical police and I can safely assume they have solid level of competence. The adventures so far seem intelligently written so that required clues are behind easy/medium and hard is for bonus content. (Zeitgeist Adventure Path spoilers) e.g. the fact that it wasn't the security officer who shot the 'thief' is easy, but the fact that Cillian Creed is an unatural being is hard

I've pretty much been doing this informally, but will I horribly break anything?

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 4, 2016

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Does anyone have an updated Zeitgeist path files that includes the full themes and paragon paths?

Here's one I found off of ENWorld that seems to work okay

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?309346-ZEITGEIST-in-legacy-character-builder

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Unfortunately that one is missing the level 5 and 10 theme powers and the paragon paths. However, thanks for the link because it does have this later in the thread:

https://drive.google.com/folderview...THpwN1RvRTZ0bWs

which is more complete. Still missing the paragon paths (except monument of war) and most of the level 5 and 10 theme powers, but that's fixable.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It's a good feeling doing triple-digit damage in a single turn, I tell you what.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Since DDI is basically gone, at what point does it become acceptable to post CBLoader and the offline compendium? They're super handy tools even if you do have a DDI subscription.

In related questions, what are everyone's favorite 4e helpers? I like DnD4eCM for its mouse-only UI, but I'm not above giving other programs a try.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bbcisdabomb posted:

Since DDI is basically gone, at what point does it become acceptable to post CBLoader and the offline compendium? They're super handy tools even if you do have a DDI subscription.

In related questions, what are everyone's favorite 4e helpers? I like DnD4eCM for its mouse-only UI, but I'm not above giving other programs a try.

CBloader is legal contraband even if there is no other resource.

You can always hope for WotC to get some kind of clue about its Internet presence, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

CBLoader itself is unquestionably legal; it won against a takedown notice and everything.

The content is more dubious.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
I've got the offline character builder up, as I'm bringing my character up to date after having it hosted on the official DDI.

What's the deal with themes, are they just unavailable now? Or is there a way to import them somehow? The seven Dark Sun Themes are there, but I'd quite like to be able to keep the Guardian stuff on my character sheet.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Noxin of Shame posted:

I've got the offline character builder up, as I'm bringing my character up to date after having it hosted on the official DDI.

What's the deal with themes, are they just unavailable now? Or is there a way to import them somehow? The seven Dark Sun Themes are there, but I'd quite like to be able to keep the Guardian stuff on my character sheet.

CBLoader can do that; the problem, as touched on in the posts above yours, is that while the program itself is legally kosher, the various .part files that add more of WotC's content to it are suspect.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

Noxin of Shame posted:

I noticed stuff from Essentials were missing when I tried using the CBLoader. They eventually came through. All I can suggest is try to keep opening the program (and making sure it opens from start to finish without crashing) until they show up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Also, when you open the CB, does it show the racial ability score choices? If not, CBLoader won't work.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

I have yet to figure out how to get the Character Builder to run properly on windows 8, the program always gets denied access to the loving portraits folder, and while you can change the install folder as far as I know you can't change the portraits folder without loading the program.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Mince Pieface posted:

I have yet to figure out how to get the Character Builder to run properly on windows 8, the program always gets denied access to the loving portraits folder, and while you can change the install folder as far as I know you can't change the portraits folder without loading the program.
Not an ideal solution, but have you tried right-clicking and running it as an admin?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I've never seen any instructions on how to use CBloader anywhere ever. This is par for the course in a hobby that up until a couple of years ago was using ultra-cumbersome poo poo like Maptool, but it's getting a little old having every outside tool be friendly only to turbonerds.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

One of the first things that comes up with a Google search of cbloader is a page with instructions, though.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I guess its Kosher to post this now that DDI is dead.

CBLoader Steps:
1. Download the following files:
2. Install the ddisetup2009April.exe executable to a non programs files directory (I usually use C:\ddi)
3. Apply the CB_Update_2010.10_October.exe update, and change the path to the directory you used in step 2.
4. Open the Character Builder (There should be a shortcut on your desktop now) and create a new character. Skip to Race Selection and choose Dwarf. Skip to Ability Scores and ensure that you have the option for a Racial Bonus dropdown. If you do, close the builder. otherwise repeat steps 2-4 in a new install location.
5. Unzip the CBLoader zip file and extract it to the same folder for the Character Builder as step 2.
6. Place any .part or .index files in the Custom folder inside of the ddi folder (from step 2).
7. Modify the Desktop Shortcut on your Desktop to point to CBLoader.exe instead of CharacterBuilder.exe. You will always launch the Character Builder by first launching CBLoader.exe.
8. Run CBLoader. A command prompt will show and it will start to give you information on what its doing (either downloading .part files from an index, or extracting and merging your part files into the OCB database). The character builder will launch in this stage. Close it, as it will not be modified yet.
9. Once the Command Prompt has completed its stuff and closed out, Launch CBLoader again and the Character Builder should launch with the .part files included in the builder.

I'm not providing any support for this. If you need help, you're welcome to send me a PM, but my response time will be extraordinarily slow, probably. I will say, however, that I have tested this on Windows 10 x64, Windows 8.1 x64, and Windows 7, and I've not had any issues when running as admin on the computer. The only other thing you might need to get for it to run is .NET Framework 3.5, but that should already be installed on most modern Windows computers.

There is no support for Mac/Linux. If you're on either of those, Wine won't work. Try Virtualbox.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 7, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Is DDI totally dead now? I knew they were blocking new signups.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Mustache Ride posted:

Try Virtualbox.

Where would I get a copy of Windows to do this with?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Are you in school currently? Go to your bookstore, they used to sell windows for a student discount at the bookstore.

At least they did when I was in school 12 years ago.

gently caress I'm old

My other answer is the great bittorrent in the sky.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

ImpactVector posted:

Not an ideal solution, but have you tried right-clicking and running it as an admin?

I've read before that all you need to do for windows 8.1 is install directly under C: drive and right click run as admin, but the program seems to still hang up on loading the portraits folder which is always installed under the user's documents folder regardless of where you install the character builder. Nothing I do seems to get it to recognize that I should have access to that folder.
The weird part is that I had it installed on this computer and operating system before and working fine (Installed on 8.0 then upgraded to 8.1) but I had to reinstall after reformatting and now I can't seem to run it.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Generic Octopus posted:

CBLoader can do that; the problem, as touched on in the posts above yours, is that while the program itself is legally kosher, the various .part files that add more of WotC's content to it are suspect.

Vinchenz posted:

I noticed stuff from Essentials were missing when I tried using the CBLoader. They eventually came through. All I can suggest is try to keep opening the program (and making sure it opens from start to finish without crashing) until they show up.

Thanking you. Turns out, they were there all along -- Just needed to right click on the House icon to show the dubious content.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is DDI totally dead now? I knew they were blocking new signups.

Yeah, I can still access everything, but I have an active account.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Rules question - how does the Githyanki silver sword (which converts all damage to psychic) work with the Malec Kath Emissary Level 16 power which adds 1d4 elemental damage (e.g. thunder) to a power.

There is a general question here of how do I resolve the order of operations in this sort of case as the GM.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
The attack does whatever damage it would normally do as psychic damage+1d4 thunder damage. This is still a single damage roll.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

The attack does whatever damage it would normally do as psychic damage+1d4 thunder damage. This is still a single damage roll.

So you can still apply resounding thunder and psychic lock then because it's got both keywords? Cool.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Posted this in the other thread, but my question remains:

Soonmot posted:

4E question:

I've made a minotaur earthstrength warden and, almost by accident, a lot of my powers knock enemies prone. I could have sworn there was a feat that did *something* to proned enemies, but I can't find it? Anyone have ideas if I'm remembering something that actually exists? Otherwise, I might need advice in turning this into more of a charge based guy.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Headsman's Axe tacks 5 damage onto prone enemies.

Is the headsman's Axe the only option? I'm using the Guardian Warhammer and at level 14, have two guardian forms and +5 from constitution, so that's slightly less situtional than than the headsman axe.

It looks like I might be reworking the build to make more use of charge, though. Also a stupid question: Charge and Bull Rush are the same thing, right? I've forgotten so much about this game.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bull rush is one of the things that you can do following a charge.

Also, the feat is Headsman's Chop. Also works with heavy blades, not that that helps you much. Worth considering for your party's striker(s), though.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

So using the advice I got from this thread (and doing a tiny bit of my own research :P) I made a Google Sheet for quickly making monsters (with some examples!):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/167s_4QiqrBCOei4XLJvWZhPtG6ct_T-PGmrIIbdN8tY/edit?usp=sharing

Anyone's free to use it! I'd actually appreciate any comments to improve on it (and yes, I realize there may be a program like this out there; don't mind, I like my implementation :P).

One thing I noticed, compared to the Monster Manual 3, it looks like the damage expressions are actually quite high. The second two examples have damage values a lot lower than the one I was linked to.

Also, I don't have a clue on how the ability mods work on monsters; it seems like either each level or each type of creature have their own mods? I also basically made the scores themselves 10 + 1/2 Level, which works for the most part. Suppose the scores don't even matter in the end, though!

Also, can anyone guess which MM3 monsters I pulled the examples from? :P

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Another prone-related feat that Soonmot may be thinking of is World Serpent's Grasp, but it will be of no use if you can already prone a lot: you knock slowed or immobilized enemy prone on hit.

Also if you have any ranged party members they should probably take Grounding Shot to remove the to-hit penalty versus prone enemies with ranged attacks. Also grants +2 damage against them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vinchenz posted:

So using the advice I got from this thread (and doing a tiny bit of my own research :P) I made a Google Sheet for quickly making monsters (with some examples!):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/167s_4QiqrBCOei4XLJvWZhPtG6ct_T-PGmrIIbdN8tY/edit?usp=sharing

Anyone's free to use it! I'd actually appreciate any comments to improve on it (and yes, I realize there may be a program like this out there; don't mind, I like my implementation :P).

One thing I noticed, compared to the Monster Manual 3, it looks like the damage expressions are actually quite high. The second two examples have damage values a lot lower than the one I was linked to.

Also, I don't have a clue on how the ability mods work on monsters; it seems like either each level or each type of creature have their own mods? I also basically made the scores themselves 10 + 1/2 Level, which works for the most part. Suppose the scores don't even matter in the end, though!

Also, can anyone guess which MM3 monsters I pulled the examples from? :P

This is super spiffy. Thanks a lot!

The ability mods don't really matter except when determining which of the Fort/Ref/Will defenses get adjusted upwards or downwards from the baseline.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've been looking at the archived stuff on the enworld thread about wardens and think I worked out something a bit more optimized than what I was before that still keeps the general feel I was going for initially and avoids cheese.

http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/7804

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Also a stupid question: Charge and Bull Rush are the same thing, right? I've forgotten so much about this game.

Bull Rush is an attack (Strength vs Fort) you can do in place of a basic melee at the end of charge; it does no damage, instead you push the target 1 square then shift into the square it left. You don't have to charge to use it, so you can just shove a guy next to you. iirc, it's not a Weapon attack, so you wouldn't get any of those associated bonuses (i.e. attack bonus, weapon feats, etc.) without houserules.

Charge is a Standard Action which involves you moving your speed (minimum 2 squares) and attacking something (with a +1 attack bonus). This can be a Basic Melee attack, Bull Rush, or another power that says it can be used on a charge. You cannot take more actions after a charge, except free actions (so you could Move and then Charge to close a large distance, but not Charge and then use your Move action to shift away). Action Points are free actions of course, so you could spend one to get another action after your charge, if you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Cool, going to dump those bull rush feats, then.