Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I feel like it's at least implied there are tons of force sensitive people who don't get picked up by the Jedi who turn out just fine. Maz seems to be one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

:thejoke:

Obi Wan is trying to counsel patience and wisdom and serenity but he's really not one to talk. He's not a very good teacher. A cool guy but a horrible teacher.

Seriously. I don't know how people constantly miss this, because the point is driven home repeatedly over the course of the trilogy:

ANAKIN: I say . . . patience

OBI-WAN: Patience! That's your plan, is it?

We see it's gotten to the point where even Anakin loving Skywalker occasionally has to remind Obi-Wan Kenobi to be patient.

This stuff isn't exactly subtle. George Lucas himself points out on the DVD commentaries that Obi-Wan is constantly contradicting himself and ignoring his own advice. The fact that Mike Stoklasa immediately jumped to the conclusion that this clear, consistent characterization of Obi-Wan could only be the result of narrative incompetence on Lucas's part should disqualify him from ever being referred to as an insightful critic of these movies.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

The fact that Mike Stoklasa immediately jumped to the conclusion that this clear, consistent characterization of Obi-Wan could only be the result of narrative incompetence on Lucas's part should disqualify him from ever being referred to as an insightful critic of these movies.

The prequel defenders have become the irrational hypernerds.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Was the fact that the Galactic Republic was doing its best to ignore the rise of the First Order, thus necessitating the forming of the Resistance, made at all clear in the film and I missed it, or are key plot details like that relegated to novelizations and comics and stuff?

None of that was in the movie, no.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's not exactly key outside of plot nitpicking: First Order shoot the good guy's planets, so now they only have a few ships to fight back with. You didn't need to know what cartel Han belonged to realize he was a smuggler

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

greatn posted:

I feel like it's at least implied there are tons of force sensitive people who don't get picked up by the Jedi who turn out just fine. Maz seems to be one.

There's also that "old ally" (seriously who was that guy supposed to be) who lectured Kylo Ren about the force then got bisected.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

There's also that "old ally" (seriously who was that guy supposed to be) who lectured Kylo Ren about the force then got bisected.

Ice Machine Guard.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

It's not exactly key outside of plot nitpicking: First Order shoot the good guy's planets, so now they only have a few ships to fight back with. You didn't need to know what cartel Han belonged to realize he was a smuggler
If the Resistance was formed as a response to the Republic Fleet being shot to poo poo by Starkiller Base, I'd totally understand that. But they're calling themselves "The Resistance" since before the movie starts, and have been doing so for some time.
I get they want to keep the good guys the underdog and thus not have them directly affiliated with a galactic government, but explaining why said galactic government has just sort of let this poo poo get to the point where an independent group is the only one who cares about stopping The Empire from Striking Back, both clarifies the setting and allows us to sympathize more with said independent organization.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If the Resistance was formed as a response to the Republic Fleet being shot to poo poo by Starkiller Base, I'd totally understand that. But they're calling themselves "The Resistance" even before that.
I get they want to keep the good guys the underdog and thus not have them directly affiliated with a galactic government, but explaining why said galactic government has just sort of let this poo poo get to the point where an independent group is the only one who cares about stopping The Empire from Striking Back, both clarifies the setting and allows us to sympathize more with said independent organization.

Or even better, have the Giant Death Star murder everyone at the beginning of the film as a setup to why the First Order is so bad, instead of relegating it to midway through the film.

This would also better support Neuroliminal's "They're totally just trying to find Luke so he can blow up the Death Star again" theory.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
According to wookipeedia he is Lor San Tekka, head of the church of The Force, which is like the Jedi Order but without having any force sensitivity, just dedicated to the cause.

He's not really important but may be in some of the spin off films.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If the Resistance was formed as a response to the Republic Fleet being shot to poo poo by Starkiller Base, I'd totally understand that. But they're calling themselves "The Resistance" since before the movie starts, and have been doing so for some time.

Even without the deleted scene, you could probably presume that FO have just survived and evaded the good guys until they had Starkiller, and that they weren't tolerated, just hidden.

It would be incorrect with the deleted scene in mind, but it's entirely coherent.

While the scene suggests that the new republic isn't entirely clean, it also suggests that knowledge of the FO isn't immediately available, or at least debated.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

homullus posted:

It doesn't appear to be easy to educate someone in the Republic Jedi way to behave/have a relationship to the Force.

as opposed to?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Obiwan is getting his rear end handed to him in his honorable duel with Grievous - note that Grievous commands his forces to hold their fire so it can be a fair fight - so Obiwan shoots him the chest with an assault rifle. Then he says guns are bad.

Obiwan is a really nuanced character.

Neurolimal posted:

Nerdism is a specific ideology.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

greatn posted:

According to wookipeedia he is Lor San Tekka, head of the church of The Force, which is like the Jedi Order but without having any force sensitivity, just dedicated to the cause.

He's not really important but may be in some of the spin off films.

"Church of the Force" is not something I want. :gonk:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Dubplate Fire posted:

I was bored this morning so I tried to watch the prequels. In case anyone was wondering they loving suck and couldn't get through attack of the clones.

Nah, they good

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

TPM is watchable but mediocre and ultimately forgetable, AoTC is just godawful and RoTS is a decent movie overall.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i want it, i want anything that helps reinforce the idea that, absent strident "human" intervention and care in leading others "towards the light" The Force is incapable of producing anything other than bad crazy people.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AoTc is the best what the hell.

We are putting the Amazon blue ray version of TPM on in a bit. I'm excited I've only ever seen the dvd. (Besides the theatrical release of course).

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

This is like, the first time he's brash or unreserved, though? That scene at the end was him honoring a promise to a friend who literally just died, not him going "gently caress the council ima train Anakin. 'Cause my gut says to"

He's constantly giving Qui-Gon lip and complaining about how much time they're wasting by showing kindness to random "pathetic lifeforms." He's deeply self-centered and incredibly impatient.

Yoda recognizes this about Obi-Wan just as he recognizes it about Luke years later:

OBI-WAN : I am ready to face the trials.

YODA : Our own council we will keep on who is ready. More to learn, he
has...

LUKE: Yoda! I am ready. I... Ben! I can be a Jedi. Ben, tell him I'm ready.

YODA: My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained! A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

as opposed to?

The living like a sane, well balanced person method. One of the main reasons Anakin fell to the Dark Side was because ascetic Jedi dogma was so woefully inadequate and required indoctrination from birth for it to stick, even Luke disregarded the teachings of Yoda and Obi-Wan to go to his friends aid when they insisted he had to abandon worldly attachments to complete his training. The Jedi ideology was really terrible

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NecroMonster posted:

i want it, i want anything that helps reinforce the idea that, absent strident "human" intervention and care in leading others "towards the light" The Force is incapable of producing anything other than bad crazy people.

That's kinda the opposite message. If anything, kinda figuring it out on your own makes the most balances people (i.e., Luke) while being rigorously taught either leads to shortsightedness (everyone in the Jedi Council) or bad crazy things (Anakin).

euphronius posted:

We are putting the Amazon blue ray version of TPM on in a bit. I'm excited I've only ever seen the dvd. (Besides the theatrical release of course).

I don't believe I've ever seen TPM in HD. I had a VHS copy for forever, but that's about it.

I've probably seen AOTC in theaters though since I've never owned it but I do remember seeing it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gorelab posted:

TPM is watchable but mediocre and ultimately forgetable, AoTC is just godawful and RoTS is a decent movie overall.

I actually find TPM to be the most memorable of the prequel films, there's some really great production design. Everything having to do with the droids and trade federation especially.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Luke is the only example of a Force sensitive being left largely to their own means leading to anything other than crazy evilness, all other Force users the Jedi order fails to find and indoctrinate at a very young age become crazy evil darksiders.

A single example doesn't really count for anything, especially when there are many examples that contradict it.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

I won't deny being a hypernerd, but how am I being irrational? What kind of a person watches a movie, sees a character behaving in a consistent way across three films, and then concludes that the director must have gotten the characterization wrong, just because it doesn't match the aforementioned person's own personal head-canon? That's insane.

I mean, it's okay if things in movies occasionally fly over your head, but if you're making a 90-minute video about how a movie is a piece of poo poo and how much smarter you are than the director, you should expect to get ridiculed for making huge, obvious mistakes like this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can get all the blue ray def movies on amazon streaming for 80 bucks. It's a good deal.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Black Bones posted:

Nah, they good

My favorite part was when he checked the kids blood. Power level over 20000!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

euphronius posted:

The prequels looks amazing on Blu-Ray. In particular the establishing shots. AotC and RotS look far better than TPM though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

Luke is the only example of a Force sensitive being left largely to their own means leading to anything other than crazy evilness, all other Force users the Jedi order fails to find and indoctrinate at a very young age become crazy evil darksiders.

A single example doesn't really count for anything, especially when there are many examples that contradict it.

Luke is the only force user shown to make his own way and the only one not to become a murderous psychopath or repressed, deluded tool. A sample size isn't required in a story like this as different characters represent differing beliefs and states of mind, and at least outside of the EU I can't think of any other characters who prove contradict Luke's choice

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

euphronius posted:

You can get all the blue ray def movies on amazon streaming for 80 bucks. It's a good deal.

Great deal for 5 lovely movies! Literally the only reason these movies are good is because what they did for special effects, so lets cover that up with lovely 90s CGI. TFA is probably the best Star Wars yet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Luke is the only force user shown to make his own way and the only one not to become a murderous psychopath or repressed, deluded tool. A sample size isn't required in a story like this as different characters represent differing beliefs and states of mind, and at least outside of the EU I can't think of any other characters who prove Luke's decision wrong

No. Count Dooku was a success.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
I rewatched AotC the other day and I liked that in the bar on Coruscant one of the TVs is showing robots playing football.

That's all I've got to say

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I am not a prequel knight, but uh you couldn't prevent me at 19 from wanting to bang Padme at all costs either so consider that when critiquing the Anakin character.

Then again I hope even at old Ben's age I still have that virility! :quagmire:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
If there was somewhere to digitally rent the PT you could do that and then just get the OT blu-ray which is $40 at Best Buy or whatever. Or you could just not watch the PT.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Or you could just not watch the PT.

Is the only answer.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Dubplate Fire posted:

My favorite part was when he checked the kids blood. Power level over 20000!

He did it in the most insanley creepy way too.

"Alright little kid I barely know I'm going to jab you with this pin to take a blood sample against your will and send it to my friend (whom you've never met) to see if you're a space wizard"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dubplate Fire posted:

Is the only answer.

I like Star Wars a lot. :ohdear:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

euphronius posted:

No. Count Dooku was a success.

That's a character I still don't get, he effortlessly defeats Anakin and Obi-Wan in a lightsaber battle, which should imply he has some level of clarity and conviction in his actions, yet he's portrayed by Lee as this stogy, impotent b-tier politician and never realsies he's being played by Palpatine until he loses his head. Never figured what's up with that dude or what he's actually meant to be representing by defeating the protagonists

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

Yaws posted:

He did it in the most insanley creepy way too.

"Alright little kid I barely know I'm going to jab you with this pin to take a blood sample against your will and send it to my friend (whom you've never met) to see if you're a space wizard"

It was to see if he "had an infection" lol. Liam Neeson was the best part of that movie tho, i will say that. Man how the gently caress did people like that fight with Darth Maul. It looked like that lovely PS1 fighting game that was star wars themed. I hated that movie when I was a kid and saw it in theatres and u fuckers almost had me convinced i didnt get it. The concept is cool, but the movies blow. George Lucas is the original ideas man.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

well poo poo i guess the only constant in "becomes a bad crazy person" is contact with other bad crazy people

so... what use do the Jedi actually have anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Steampunk Gent posted:

That's a character I still don't get, he effortlessly defeats Anakin and Obi-Wan in a lightsaber battle, which should imply he has some level of clarity and conviction in his actions, yet he's portrayed by Lee as this stogy, impotent b-tier politician and never realsies he's being played by Palpatine until he loses his head. Never figured what's up with that dude or what he's actually meant to be representing by defeating the protagonists

He thinks he can double-cross Palpatine. He is wrong.

• Locked thread