Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's going to be really weird winning random encounters before the climax of the battle theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

General Morden posted:

steiner's thunder slash has like a 0% chance to hit pretty much all (with a few exceptions) enemies in the game, due to a bug in the way the move was programmed or something

that's probably one of the things that could be fixed

That bug is ridiculously specific and I love it. Somehow they managed to take thunder slash's accuracy and add it to another ability, Iai Strike. Which is (supposed to be) one of those low accuracy death attacks. Apparently they did fix it in some versions though.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

McDragon posted:

That bug is ridiculously specific and I love it. Somehow they managed to take thunder slash's accuracy and add it to another ability, Iai Strike. Which is (supposed to be) one of those low accuracy death attacks. Apparently they did fix it in some versions though.

What do you mean by some versions, like different regions or the Greatest Hits re-release.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

Dang dude. Relax.

Sorry for the mild sarcasm, that was totally uncalled for.

But seriously, why would they consider that an exploit? Tough enemies being super vulnerable to a specific spell happens all the time throughout the series. If they were going to fix anything it would be the cotton robe trick, since that was probably caused by someone hitting the 0 key too many times, but it's a single player game so who cares?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Sorry for the mild sarcasm, that was totally uncalled for.

But seriously, why would they consider that an exploit? Tough enemies being super vulnerable to a specific spell happens all the time throughout the series. If they were going to fix anything it would be the cotton robe trick, since that was probably caused by someone hitting the 0 key too many times, but it's a single player game so who cares?

It wouldn't be the first time that a single player game was patched because a certain enemy was unintentionally way too easy but it is rare. However, I think that you are absolutely correct in this case. Square Enix definitely has a history of being perfectly okay with that sorta stuff. Even when I originally asked the question, I did not think that the chances of them changing this was likely but I also did not take much of their history into consideration like that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FromSoft is the company that loves nerfing single player experiences.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope they make you climb all 500 sets of stairs

Me too, that part is hilarious

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

It wouldn't be the first time that a single player game was patched because a certain enemy was unintentionally way too easy but it is rare. However, I think that you are absolutely correct in this case. Square Enix definitely has a history of being perfectly okay with that sorta stuff. Even when I originally asked the question, I did not think that the chances of them changing this was likely but I also did not take much of their history into consideration like that.

Also every single enemy in the desert palace has a multiple of 5 level. "Level 5 Death is actually usueful" is definitely not an exploit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For any Level (X) Spell to be meaningful it has to be useful against at least a small handful of significant enemies it works on. Either high level foes or enemies with absurd defense or something.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

For any Level (X) Spell to be meaningful it has to be useful against at least a small handful of significant enemies it works on. Either high level foes or enemies with absurd defense or something.

Or give the player some useful way to manipulate enemy levels, but that way lies the ownage-tier madness of FF5

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The minimum storage requirement for FF9 is 20GB

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think the PS1 version is like 2GB

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's fine

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Tempo 119 posted:

Maybe this means someone can mod the game to use the uncompressed pre-rendered backgrounds. A man can dream can't he?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

do they even exist

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I screamed so hard blood shot out of every orifice I have.

Looking forward to runnin through IX again.:toot:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's just the FFXV trailer uncompressed. :ms:

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

do they even exist

I have no clue, but I remember some blog post a while back that had images of what the backgrounds looked like before they were scaled down for the PlayStation. Ever since then, I've dreamed of those uncompressed versions popping up somewhere.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Oh I guess it's 20GB because of the dual audio voice acting

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Help Im Alive posted:

Lmao, thank you for this

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope they make you climb all 500 sets of stairs

I hope it's rereleased to be played on Vive so I can do this in VR.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

quote:

Vivie: Also motion capture

Does this mean we have a man pretending to be a short stumpy clutz :allears:?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

Seven game boosters including high speed and no encounter modes.

Fuckin' sold.

ffffffffffffffffffffff i was tryin to play 7-9 on psp so that i could get the Experience on the go and stop when i needed to but this is tempting

Saint Freak posted:

Hype for the great parts of Midgar like:

Battling that loving house
Squatting for wigs
Battling that loving house (redux)
Climbing 60 sets of stairs

yo real talk i wanna climb those stairs in hd

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I hope Tifa still calls Barret a retard.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

ff9 has a lesser known monster house

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm loving playing final fantasy 7 while eating cheesy shell macaroni. I think I might be 12 again.

Except I have beer and triple speed and a flat screen and a massage chair. gently caress yes. Thank you based god

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Literally The Worst posted:

yo real talk i wanna climb those stairs in hd

Gonna petition for first person view and you have to alternate X and O to move up each step.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

commander nojj posted:

So what's the consensus on Final Fantasy Explorers? I don't think I've spotted a thread for it yet.

I have a trip coming up 2 days after it releases and I'm hoping to buy it and play it for the plane ride if it is a reasonable and fun hunting game clone.

Popped in to ask this as well. There's some previews going up on some sites that are favorable, but they're based off of some early game impressions. I'm mostly worried that it'll end up like Ragnarok Odyssey where the endgame gets weird bullshit hard.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

FanaticalMilk posted:

I have no clue, but I remember some blog post a while back that had images of what the backgrounds looked like before they were scaled down for the PlayStation. Ever since then, I've dreamed of those uncompressed versions popping up somewhere.

Here's the link to the Neogaf post.

Not the best image, but for the quickest comparison:
Emulated PS1/Original background art.

FanaticalMilk posted:

What do you mean by some versions, like different regions or the Greatest Hits re-release.

It's fixed in the PAL version, at least. Not too sure about any of the other versions.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pesky Splinter posted:

Here's the link to the Neogaf post.

Not the best image, but for the quickest comparison:
Emulated PS1/Original background art.

It's fixed in the PAL version, at least. Not too sure about any of the other versions.

well poo poo now i hae a boner

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Wanna explore dat Alexandria.

Closest comparison I can see between the high res artwork and the steam screenshots, we're not getting the decompressed backgrounds :(

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It would be pretty dumb to patch out a grinding exploit that's already rendered moot by giving the player a bunch of booster stuff that would do the same thing in an instant.

Why are people arguing about this?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LightReaper posted:

Wanna explore dat Alexandria.

Closest comparison I can see between the high res artwork and the steam screenshots, we're not getting the decompressed backgrounds :(

It still looks a million times better than the original

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

I liked the first one but kinda petered off after a dozen or so hours, and I heard the sequel is better. So enjoy

Thanks. I probably won't start it until the next trip I take

Evil Fluffy posted:

Suikoden 2's one of the best RPGs of that console generation and IIRC the PSN version is the one with bug/text fixes.
Yeah I heard it was one of the best PS1 RPGs since the days where I had a PS1. It was just really hard to find and I never bothered emulating it but $2, sure. I need to get around to more Persona 2 as well but man I do not like the combat in that game at all

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tempo 119 posted:

Guess I need to buy a new phone and make it my FF9 phone

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The models for IX PC look really good but it sorta makes the characters stand out that much more from the backgrounds.
This is kinda the worst example of it
PC

Emulated

But everything still looks really good so it's fine.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I was really resisting buying 9 a third time but gently caress it's so pretty

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FanaticalMilk posted:

People don't talk about it much because it rarely matters but even back to the NES games games were getting patches and if you bought a game later on you'd often get a higher version number than if you bought it earlier. It wasn't usually as extensive patching as you get now in modern games but it existed and a lot of popular games had 6 or 7 minor differences.

The biggest non-censorship one is that you may remember mario tanooki leaves being either green or brown depending on when you bought mario 3.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Golden Goat posted:

It would be pretty dumb to patch out a grinding exploit that's already rendered moot by giving the player a bunch of booster stuff that would do the same thing in an instant.

Why are people arguing about this?

It started because I posted this:

Xavier434 posted:

What do you think the odds are of them removing the ability to one shot Grand Dragons with the lvl5 Death spell in the steam version?

I honestly did not expect the discussion to go beyond a post or two at the time much less it inspire a debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Which is a better game in you guys' opinion, any of the Fire Emblems or Final Fantasy Tactics?