Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Sorry if it has already been discussed, but are they planning on having more than just 6 episodes in the future? Or is this like "24" - a comeback for just one mini season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Can of Cloud posted:

Sorry if it has already been discussed, but are they planning on having more than just 6 episodes in the future? Or is this like "24" - a comeback for just one mini season?

From what I've heard, if the new mini-season does well, there's a chance we could get further mini-seasons in the future.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think if this kind of thing were a possibility back when the show first went off the air, Duchovny and Anderson would have been very willing to listen to ideas and keep the show going on a part time basis. Duchovny especially didn't seem to hate the show or the character or anything, but it was preventing him from doing other things he wanted to do. He was bored.

Now though its totally feasible to just mark out a few months every 2-3 years for shooting these limited run seasons and they can both do whatever they want the rest of the time.

Just look at the solutions Fox had for the Duchovny problem back then. They maintained the same amount of episodes and fit the plot around the fact that he wouldn't be there most of the time. I assume things would have gone a lot better if they would have just conceded that a standard 22 episode season wasn't feasible and done something similar to what they're doing now.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 4, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

Anyway I told you all that to make you jealous, did it work?

Yes. :allears:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I think if this kind of thing were a possibility back when the show first went off the air, Duchovny and Anderson would have been very willing to listen to ideas and keep the show going on a part time basis. Duchovny especially didn't seem to hate the show or the character or anything, but it was preventing him from doing other things he wanted to do. He was bored.

Now though its totally feasible to just mark out a few months every 2-3 years for shooting these limited run seasons and they can both do whatever they want the rest of the time.

Just look at the solutions Fox had for the Duchovny problem back then. They maintained the same amount of episodes and fit the plot around the fact that he wouldn't be there most of the time. I assume things would have gone a lot better if they would have just conceded that a standard 22 episode season wasn't feasible and done something similar to what they're doing now.

Duchovny specifically wanted completely off the show, as did Gilliam Anderson. Only he was a bigger name and renewed for fewer years. Duchovny did part time for season 8, and didn't want even that commitment for season 9. They both wanted the show to continue as a movie franchise, and for a very long time were pretty vocal against going back to TV. The movie franchise derailed because the show kept getting renewed at the last minute when other fox dramas failed, and once it finally went off the air Chris Carter sued Fox over residuals (which would also mean no mini-series). The 08 movie only got made because of the pending writer's strike, but even after it bombed in the box office they were pretty adamant about only doing it as movies. There was even a Duchovny interview where he was specific about it (can't find it anymore because it had been posted in https://www.xfilesforum.net , and the site doesn't exist anymore, and you can imagine that googling Duchovny and miniseries now will lead to a ton of hits).

The truth is that back then they both thought they'd be huge movie/theater stars, and for a long time turned down all TV. Then they got older and less marketable and started saying yes to a lot more things.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm trying to imagine what the X-Files might have been like if it had arisen in the modern era of high production value, no holds barred cable TV.

But then again, what we got was pretty drat awesome, so who knows.

I really like both Duchovny and Anderson, and I never watched Californication, but Duchovny's acting chops seem kind of limited, well suited to the Mulder character but like, say, Kevin Costner, he doesn't have a lot of range. He seemed flat and bad in a movie or two I recall watching in the post X-Files era.

I can't think of much else I've seen Anderson in but she is great in The Fall.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The X-Files only got greenlit in the first place because Fox was an extremely desperate TV network in 1993. So it's fitting that it now comes back out of another sort of desperation, the desire to not have to take jobs like...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zwabu posted:

You should watch Hannibal.
Last King of Scotland is also pretty good and she has a bit part in that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zwabu posted:

She's great in Hannibal as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Slate Action posted:

The X-Files only got greenlit in the first place because Fox was an extremely desperate TV network in 1993. So it's fitting that it now comes back out of another sort of desperation, the desire to not have to take jobs like...

Ben Kingsley has so much to answer for.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Slate Action posted:

Is that as bad as it looks? I put it on my Netflix list after hearing that it wasn't great, but not super terrible.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slate Action posted:

The X-Files only got greenlit in the first place because Fox was an extremely desperate TV network in 1993.

This gets overlooked a lot. I know nowadays everyone is used to ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and even the CW just being mainstays, but until Fox launched in 1985 or '86, it was literally a three-network show between ABC, CBS and NBC. And it took a long time for Fox to get any programming that wasn't just off the scrap heap. poo poo, it wasn't until Fox was able to steal NFL games away from CBS (in the process getting Madden and Summerall) that prospective affiliates in major markets even began to get interested in carrying the network's programming.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
To add some more context, despite there being so few TV networks at the time, in its debut season The X-Files was the 111th (yes, that's one hundred and eleventh) most-watched show on TV.

Fox renewed it anyway, because they were still desperate.

Also I have not actually seen Robot Overlords, but it is a movie that came out in 2014 and has Ben Kingsley in it. It's probably bad.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Slate Action posted:

Didn't Gillian Anderson recently write (or probably "write") a novel about a robot uprising or alien invasion or something like that?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

joepinetree posted:

The truth is that back then they both thought they'd be huge movie/theater stars, and for a long time turned down all TV. Then they got older and less marketable and started saying yes to a lot more things.

I'm not sure that's true, at least for that reason. Its true that they both wanted the full-time job of being on the Xfiles t.v. show to end, but I believe if a limited run 8-10 episode season was presented as an option back then there's a chance a deal could have been made. Duchovny ended up on HBO not long after, and I remember reading a lot about how Anderson was just in semi-retirement hanging out in Europe with her husband and kids for a while. The problems were more with the schedule and general boredom with the characters.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure that was discussed in the Doctor Who thread when it came to being cast on popular television shows: you take a job with DW, you suddenly get a ton of offers for other things that you can't take because filming takes most of your time, so you're basically tasked with finding the best time to leave. You want to leave before being typecast, but also before all the other offers vanish.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not sure that's true, at least for that reason. Its true that they both wanted the full-time job of being on the Xfiles t.v. show to end, but I believe if a limited run 8-10 episode season was presented as an option back then there's a chance a deal could have been made. Duchovny ended up on HBO not long after, and I remember reading a lot about how Anderson was just in semi-retirement hanging out in Europe with her husband and kids for a while. The problems were more with the schedule and general boredom with the characters.

This isn't a what if that we have to imagine. They tried to get Duchovny to do season 9 part time like he did season 8 and he turned them down. Likewise, Anderson was dying to get away from it and said she didn't want anything to do with it. Can't find all the links I had from the xfilesforum, but here are some choice quotes:

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-x-files-gillian-anderson-sure-doesnt-miss-it/

quote:

When Anderson did finally leave The X-Files, she vowed never again to be part of a long-running series. But, if the right project came along would she not even consider another show? Anderson says “Are you kidding me? My God, I don’t even watch television. I don’t like television. I never have liked it. The whole concept of sitting down in front of a TV feels like one of things that’s destroying society as far as I’m concerned.”

http://metro.co.uk/2008/08/01/duchovny-reveals-anderson-feud-332697/

quote:

Why did you do the film?

It was always in the back of my mind. Especially leaving the show a year before it finished, I always said to Chris and Gillian I didn’t want to destroy the show, I just wanted to do it as a movie franchise. I wanted to do another X Files film, it didn’t matter about the money. It provides some resolution in my relationships with Chris and Gillian.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/5658-interview-the-x-files-david-duchovny/

quote:

It was never my intention, when I left the television series, to sabotage the show in any way. Yes, we’ve done all we can on television, let’s take this into movies like we always said we would. I wouldn’t see any reason to do X-Files unless it [was carried into film].

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Movies are a lot quicker to shoot than 22 episodes of a television show, all of those comments read to me like they just wanted to shoot an X-Files movie once in a while instead of having the show take up their entire schedule. I don't take that "downfall of society" comment seriously.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If Duchovny turning down season 9 part time (again he turned down the same deal he had for season 8 of 8 episodes) Anderson not even auditioning for tv for almost a decade and those interviews dont convince you that they wouldnt have done mini series 10 years ago, i dont know what else would convince you or what exactly you are looking for.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
God Anderson is so loving cool

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Gillian Anderson's actually done a fair bit of British TV over the past few years; Bleak House, Great Expectations, The Fall (which I think has either just had or is about to have a third series) and some others, and she's in the new version of War & Peace that just started. All that and Hannibal and various movies too - she's keeping busy. She mostly seems to be concentrating on miniseries, though, so I imagine she doesn't want to be tied in to anything long-term that might keep her from other work.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Payndz posted:

Gillian Anderson's actually done a fair bit of British TV over the past few years; Bleak House, Great Expectations, The Fall (which I think has either just had or is about to have a third series) and some others, and she's in the new version of War & Peace that just started. All that and Hannibal and various movies too - she's keeping busy. She mostly seems to be concentrating on miniseries, though, so I imagine she doesn't want to be tied in to anything long-term that might keep her from other work.

She also did a bunch of British theater.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Payndz posted:

Yeah, but outside of bleak house (high status period drama on the bbc), all of those were post 2010. She pretty much focused on theater and movies between the end of the x files and then. She definitely wasnt interested in American popular tv.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 5, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I started watching Hannibal now that it's on netflix, and it's crazy how much it reminds me of Season 1 of Millenium. Man, that show was like ten years too early: it would have been a huge hit today.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

MonsieurChoc posted:

I started watching Hannibal now that it's on netflix, and it's crazy how much it reminds me of Season 1 of Millenium. Man, that show was like ten years too early: it would have been a huge hit today.

We talked about it a lot in the s1 Hannibal thread as well and all of my buddies who got into Hannibal I told to check out Millennium. It really was ahead of it's time. Funnier still is just how much more violent Hannibal actually is.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I was so loving happy when Lance Henriksen showed up, I wasn't even that disappointed when it turned out to be a one-scene cameo.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Question about watching the new season:

I currently have broadband only in my place, and I loathe the thought of signing up for a cable package with Comcast. Is there a way to legally/officially watch the new season as it airs in HD? I haven't kept up with all the new streaming options and if they are of live TV or not. I'll do just about anything other than actually installing cable TV.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

68k posted:

Question about watching the new season:

I currently have broadband only in my place, and I loathe the thought of signing up for a cable package with Comcast. Is there a way to legally/officially watch the new season as it airs in HD? I haven't kept up with all the new streaming options and if they are of live TV or not. I'll do just about anything other than actually installing cable TV.

You should be able to pick it up in HD over the air from your local Fox affiliate.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Will it show on Hulu Plus day after? They have the original series and other Fox shows, but that doesn't mean much for a show like this.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Zwabu posted:

I'm trying to imagine what the X-Files might have been like if it had arisen in the modern era of high production value, no holds barred cable TV.

But then again, what we got was pretty drat awesome, so who knows.

Probably half the episodes per season and none of the MotW ones that made the show so great, instead focusing on the mytharc. Maybe there would have been more direction in the main story, but it's hard to imagine the show without Mulder and Scully investigating weird cases on the side.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Octy posted:

Probably half the episodes per season and none of the MotW ones that made the show so great, instead focusing on the mytharc. Maybe there would have been more direction in the main story, but it's hard to imagine the show without Mulder and Scully investigating weird cases on the side.

Every episode would spend some amount of time on the main arc while also solving an unrelated case, like Fringe.

(Fringe is basically what he's trying to imagine, only with merely network levels of violence and nudity.)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think the problem with trying to imagine what X-Files would have been like if it had been made 20 years later is that so much of the popular genre/procedural shows on now or recently clearly have X-Files in their ancestral DNA. Just in the last few years for example, Lost, Fringe, Breaking Bad, Supernatural, Hannibal, even stuff like CSI, Criminal Minds, and the revived Doctor Who were inspired to varying degrees by The X-Files.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You can probably come up with some kind of continuum of science-fiction shows like that. I tend to think it starts with TNG, because it showed the potential for science-fiction (and its syndication model was no doubt influential for similar programmes as well). For example:

Star Trek: The Next Generation -> The X-Files -> Buffy the Vampire Slayer -> Alias -> Lost -> More or less everything post-Lost branches off here.

I think Doctor Who would branch off from Buffy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I actually never really thought how X-Files launched around the time that TNG was hitting its peak. Quantum Leap is the other big sci-fi show at the time that immediately comes to mind, I could definitely see Fox execs trying to get in on that trend. And obviously it was coming just after Twin Peaks hit meteoric heights then completely tanked and has a semi-similar tone.

I actually think there are a lot of similarities between X-Files and Lost in terms of what an impact they had on both the public consciousness and other shows.

On the subject of Doctor Who, I thought I remembered an early interview with Russel T Davies directly saying that both X-Files and Buffy were inspirations, but just writing this now, I realized might be confusing that with Torchwood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm surprised I forgot Quantum Leap because it's definitely a big one as well (also my dad really likes it and always watches reruns of it when they come on). It definitely fits in there as well, I think.

Re: Doctor Who: Davies cited Buffy as an influence but I'm not sure about X-Files, though it's very probable, seeing as the series was as popular in the UK as it was anywhere.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

I think the problem with trying to imagine what X-Files would have been like if it had been made 20 years later is that so much of the popular genre/procedural shows on now or recently clearly have X-Files in their ancestral DNA. Just in the last few years for example, Lost, Fringe, Breaking Bad, Supernatural, Hannibal, even stuff like CSI, Criminal Minds, and the revived Doctor Who were inspired to varying degrees by The X-Files.

The entire concept of "Monster of the Week" and "Mytharc" episodes that so many shows use was literally invented on X-Files. At least that's when people started talking about it.

Chairman Capone posted:

I actually never really thought how X-Files launched around the time that TNG was hitting its peak. Quantum Leap is the other big sci-fi show at the time that immediately comes to mind, I could definitely see Fox execs trying to get in on that trend. And obviously it was coming just after Twin Peaks hit meteoric heights then completely tanked and has a semi-similar tone.

I actually think there are a lot of similarities between X-Files and Lost in terms of what an impact they had on both the public consciousness and other shows.

Quantum Leap, X-Files, and Lost are probably the 3 most mainstream, popular genre shows in the last 30-40 years. They are the biggest shows that had the most following of non nerd fans, where everyday average people would discuss them at work or school the next day without any self-consciousness or "closeting" their love for them because of some geek stigma, and people of all ages and walks of life were into them. I'd say The Walking Dead is pretty drat close to that as well.

X-Files was particularly a watershed moment for scifi tv because in Quantum Leap the tech elements were very much subsumed by the human drama and Boomer nostalgia. Heck, even Lost was cagey about being supernatural or sci-fi for it's first few seasons--at any point in there it could all have been revealed to have mundane, modern explanations for all they saw, and like QL Lost was much more a story of characters than tech.

When X-FIles came on, the big sci-fi was stuff like Star Trek, Doctor Who, and other series that were often short lived with small budgets, laughable effects, and in popular culture were considered the provenance of nerds. X-Files was pretty unabashedly supernatural/sci-fi but somehow it was amazingly popular and mainstream.

joepinetree posted:

Duchovny specifically wanted completely off the show, as did Gilliam Anderson. Only he was a bigger name and renewed for fewer years. Duchovny did part time for season 8, and didn't want even that commitment for season 9. They both wanted the show to continue as a movie franchise, and for a very long time were pretty vocal against going back to TV. The movie franchise derailed because the show kept getting renewed at the last minute when other fox dramas failed, and once it finally went off the air Chris Carter sued Fox over residuals (which would also mean no mini-series). The 08 movie only got made because of the pending writer's strike, but even after it bombed in the box office they were pretty adamant about only doing it as movies. There was even a Duchovny interview where he was specific about it (can't find it anymore because it had been posted in https://www.xfilesforum.net , and the site doesn't exist anymore, and you can imagine that googling Duchovny and miniseries now will lead to a ton of hits).

The modern world of tv being more flexible helps too. They have no problem with committing to a few months of work. Shorter US seasons and the slow percolation into American consciousness of the idea of British tv with very short seasons of 3-5 episodes (including stuff like Sherlock) makes a 6 episode run yearly viable. While I'd be happier with maybe 10-13 episodes, I can't argue that even shows with that number don't still have filler. And it's still better than a movie, which I never feel has enough time to develop tv characters and advance their arcs and the universe they are in.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

The entire concept of "Monster of the Week" and "Mytharc" episodes that so many shows use was literally invented on X-Files. At least that's when people started talking about it.

Even outside science-fiction / fantasy shows, most dramas - I suppose the "prestige dramas" of the late 1980s / early 1990s, all the Steven Bochco and David E. Kelley police and lawyer shows - were episodic with a few ongoing plots. They weren't serialised in the way modern dramas are; Bochco tried that when he made Murder One, which ended up with like 10 minutes' worth of "previously on" recaps at the start of each episode by the end of the season.

quote:

When X-FIles came on, the big sci-fi was stuff like Star Trek, Doctor Who, and other series that were often short lived with small budgets, laughable effects, and in popular culture were considered the provenance of nerds. X-Files was pretty unabashedly supernatural/sci-fi but somehow it was amazingly popular and mainstream.

Wasn't Doctor Who kind of a cult thing outside the UK and some Commonwealth countries back then? I was of the impression that the obscure British sci-fi shows you cited to show your early 1990s nerd cred were Doctor Who and Red Dwarf. :D

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't Doctor Who kind of a cult thing outside the UK and some Commonwealth countries back then? I was of the impression that the obscure British sci-fi shows you cited to show your early 1990s nerd cred were Doctor Who and Red Dwarf. :D

Yeah, pretty much. I think PBS stations in the US (and easily received in Canada) used to air 70s/80s Doctor Who straight into the 90s, usually editing the serials into full continuous episodes. That's probably part of the reason why Tom Baker's Doctor became so popular here. Some of the same stations also ran long Red Dwarf marathons as fundraisers sometimes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh absolutely. Doctor Who was "known to exist" by the mainstream in the US but it was the nerdiest of nerd poo poo. If you were into Doctor Who or Blake's 7 you were a meganerd. I'd say the modern equivalent would be saying you're a Brony or something.

It's crazy going to the mall and seeing Doctor Who poo poo in the window of Hot Topic or Doctor Who stars on the Tonight Show, or the new Doctor casting being covered in USA Today. Never in a million years would 1987 me have thought that would happen. It was kinda cool though, because as a Who fan you were part a very obscure and special club, going to the bottom rows of the scifi section at Waldenbooks to look for Target novelizations, watching fuzzy PBS episodes at midnight on a Friday. Nothing at all like how it was a household name in the UK in the 60s-80s. I kind of miss that, though I'm thankful the popularity of it now means it continues to exist and the old actors are even doing stories.

It's the same with Lord of the Rings. That was so nerdy and uncool in the 80s, and 15 years later it's the highest grossing movie.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Even outside science-fiction / fantasy shows, most dramas - I suppose the "prestige dramas" of the late 1980s / early 1990s, all the Steven Bochco and David E. Kelley police and lawyer shows - were episodic with a few ongoing plots. They weren't serialised in the way modern dramas are; Bochco tried that when he made Murder One, which ended up with like 10 minutes' worth of "previously on" recaps at the start of each episode by the end of the season.

Yeah, continuity was highly verboten on tv shows in the 50s-90s because they wanted to rerun them and expected people to be able to watch on any random weekday a syndicated episode and not feel left out. All plots resolved by the end of the episode, very few recurring characters, and arcs or continuity more by accident. Hell, in the early days of tv they never expected them to rerun at all, so they cared even less.

The exception of course was soap operas, which were very continuity heavy but never reran. X-Files broke the mold by combining the two, which makes Chris Carter a tv genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Astroman posted:

The exception of course was soap operas, which were very continuity heavy but never reran. X-Files broke the mold by combining the two, which makes Chris Carter a tv genius.

Nah, that was Twin Peaks. Although Carter probably had a lot to do with making it something that could survive more than 2 seasons.

• Locked thread