Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

well poo poo i guess the only constant in "becomes a bad crazy person" is contact with other bad crazy people

so... what use do the Jedi actually have anyway?

They're government special forces. That is literally their freely assumed role in the world: trained killers (for freedom!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

That's a character I still don't get, he effortlessly defeats Anakin and Obi-Wan in a lightsaber battle, which should imply he has some level of clarity and conviction in his actions, yet he's portrayed by Lee as this stogy, impotent b-tier politician and never realsies he's being played by Palpatine until he loses his head. Never figured what's up with that dude or what he's actually meant to be representing by defeating the protagonists

the badguy defeats the good guy in the second movie.

i doubt lucas thought anymore deeply about it than this.

and that would have been fine if lucas hadn't been so dead set on having a new "badguy" for every movie.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Can someone address midi-chlorians who thinks they are good? SMG? Personally I love the phantom Menace but that one part I just don't understand what the movie is going for.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
When we were watching the Auralnauts parody of The Phantom Menace last night and it got to the part where Anakin asks "Mister Qui-Gon, sir, I was just wondering... I heard Yoda talking about midichlorians. What, exactly, are midichlorians?" I had to assure my wife that, no, that wasn't dubbed in. That's the actual line from the movie.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I dunno, I still think it would have been better had Anakin jumped out that window and grabbed that little assassin droid. Obi-Wan is somewhat impatient (usually through things he says) but Anakin does dumb poo poo like charging headlong at Dooku after Obi-Wan warned him to stop and jumping out that space convertible while a million feet in the air.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

greatn posted:

Can someone address midi-chlorians who thinks they are good? SMG? Personally I love the phantom Menace but that one part I just don't understand what the movie is going for.

You know how they keep going on about power levels in that one bit of DBZ and the baddies keep getting owned because they're making their decisions based on unreliable stat readouts from a computer? Well it's exactly that

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

They're government special forces. That is literally their freely assumed role in the world: trained killers (for freedom!)

but that's not even a service the jedi alone could render

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

but that's not even a service the jedi alone could render

In wartime, no, that's why they take command of a slave army to bulk out their ranks in AotC. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan turning up to perform some aggressive negotiations at the start of TPM seems to be business as usual for peacetime though

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

A Steampunk Gent posted:

You know how they keep going on about power levels in that one bit of DBZ and the baddies keep getting owned because they're making their decisions based on unreliable stat readouts from a computer? Well it's exactly that

Like the end of ANH?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

well poo poo i guess the only constant in "becomes a bad crazy person" is contact with other bad crazy people

so... what use do the Jedi actually have anyway?

The Jedi are antiquated and fighting people with laser swords is "uncivilized".

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

greatn posted:

Like the end of ANH?

That's a pretty apt comparison. Mace Windu would have been all over that targeting computer

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

In wartime, no, that's why they take command of a slave army to bulk out their ranks in AotC. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan turning up to perform some aggressive negotiations at the start of TPM seems to be business as usual for peacetime though

Even then, if we assumed Jedi or the Force simple didn't exist, what would actually change other than a lack of Jedi performing these duties?

The only duty the Jedi can perform that no one else is capable of is opposing/killing Sith, and they don't even accept that Sith actually exist for a broad chunk of the prequels.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Yaws posted:

I dunno, I still think it would have been better had Anakin jumped out that window and grabbed that little assassin droid. Obi-Wan is somewhat impatient (usually through things he says) but Anakin does dumb poo poo like charging headlong at Dooku after Obi-Wan warned him to stop and jumping out that space convertible while a million feet in the air.

Especially because just a few minutes before Obi-Wan was lecturing Anakin about how they were instructed to protect Amidala, "not to start an investigation." Also, it would've made Obi's "I hate it when he does that" line when Anakin jumps from the car later land better imo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

The midichlorians are about symbiosis which is the not-really-unstated-at-all theme of the movie. There's all sorts of duality in the movie- two Jedi, two Sith, two races on Naboo who don't get along but have to cooperate to defeat the invaders, the Trade Federation guys are a double-act, Podracing is all about two giant engines dragging you along and they have to be in harmony to go, it's all over the place. Things have to be in harmony- or balance if you will.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

Even then, if we assumed Jedi or the Force simple didn't exist, what would actually change other than a lack of Jedi performing these duties?

The only duty the Jedi can perform that no one else is capable of is opposing/killing Sith, and they don't even accept that Sith actually exist for a broad chunk of the prequels.

Well yeah, the main thrust of the PT is the Jedi stink and are literally incapable of doing the one thing they should be there to do whilst getting involved in other unrelated things and making them far worse. It's a black comedy and why Palpatine can't stop laughing once he takes the mask off, he's successfully made them own themselves on a cosmic scale

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

The midichlorians are about symbiosis which is the not-really-unstated-at-all theme of the movie. There's all sorts of duality in the movie- two Jedi, two Sith, two races on Naboo who don't get along but have to cooperate to defeat the invaders, the Trade Federation guys are a double-act, Podracing is all about two giant engines dragging you along and they have to be in harmony to go, it's all over the place. Things have to be in harmony- or balance if you will.

I don't understand how the midi-chlorians are part of this duality theme.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

A Steampunk Gent posted:

That's a character I still don't get, he effortlessly defeats Anakin and Obi-Wan in a lightsaber battle, which should imply he has some level of clarity and conviction in his actions, yet he's portrayed by Lee as this stogy, impotent b-tier politician and never realsies he's being played by Palpatine until he loses his head. Never figured what's up with that dude or what he's actually meant to be representing by defeating the protagonists

Watching the Clone Wars were Dooku is the main villain gives you a fair amount of respect for the guy.

As for him being as good as he was. He was a Jedi for 70 years before leaving the order. Then spent the last 11 years of his life being a political activist and joining up with Palpatine. (Who he was older then) The guy is also pointed out as being one of the best duelists the Jedi Order ever produced with recording of his teachings still be used to train people after he left the order. (He is a better saber duelist then Palpatine for example.) Dude is also super rich.

Anyway I quite liked him in Clone Wars. Plus his duels there are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pI8IkWa3LQ

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Well yeah, the main thrust of the PT is the Jedi stink and are literally incapable of doing the one thing they should be there to do whilst getting involved in other unrelated things and making them far worse. It's a black comedy and why Palpatine can't stop laughing once he takes the mask off, he's successfully made them own themselves on a cosmic scale

I guess I'm just struggling to reconcile the fairly clear message of the PT with the person Lucas is known to be.

I also wish they weren't so uneven and boring.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

I don't understand how the midi-chlorians are part of this duality theme.

They're symbiotic life forms- "without them life could not exist", and the idea is, if you "listen" to them you can channel the Force.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

"Church of the Force" is not something I want. :gonk:

You're in luck, then. Things don't seem to be working out that well for them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

I guess I'm just struggling to reconcile the fairly clear message of the PT with the person Lucas is known to be.

Sorry, but what?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Are you literally unaware of the years of interviews and second hand stories about the guy and his behavior and general way of thinking or just pretending to be unaware?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Darth Vader is Gerald Ford, Grand Moff Tarkin is Haldemann

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NecroMonster posted:

Are you literally unaware of the years of interviews and second hand stories about the guy and his behavior and general way of thinking or just pretending to be unaware?

I don't really know any of that except the "they died" story.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Er, I am aware of various of interviews, stories, and - of course - rumors and speculation, but I want to know what you are specifically referring to. I.e. how does " the person Lucas is known to be" conflict with "the fairly clear message of the PT".

EDIT: like I am not even trying to make a condescending point or whatever, I just don't know what that sentence means

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

greatn posted:

Why are they bad, is my question?

To me, I find midichlorians interesting because they seem like a clear signal to us that the Jedi are going about this all wrong. Just look everywhere in this thread where people whine about them, and it tends to be because when we're introduced to the Force in ANH it seems so mystical, and then Yoda goes on about it in mystical ways (never mentioning midichlorians to Luke, mind)...and then we jump back a few decades and see that even the rogue in the Jedi Order is yammering on about some sort of science-y explanation. It just *feels* wrong, and everyone keys in on it as if what's wrong is the whole concept, as opposed to perhaps the Jedi Order being a bunch of morons who are barely in touch with what the Force really is anymore.

I think there's a very supported reading of the films where we as the audience are *supposed* to think midichlorians are dumb

Also, say what you will about SATAN HIMSELF Lucas, but he's pretty clearly a brilliant storyteller and idea-man and super self-aware of Star Wars and its fandom

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Whoever said midichlorians were just like Power Levels in DBZ was spot-on. Only the bad guys ever relied on those numbers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So I'm looking to get the blu rays, and episodes 1-3 on Amazon are $35, Episodes 4-6 on Amazon are $35, but the complete saga episode 1-6 is $90. Is there any particular difference why I'd want to pay the extra 20?

I just realized the best I've ever seen Star Wars is a laserdisc lower quality than DVD, and the best I've ever seen the prequels apart from the theatre is SD cable.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Well Lucas himself disallowed any portrayal of Jedi as evil or even morally gray within all EU materials for, last I checked, the whole time he was in possession of the Star Wars IP. He was also vocally critical of EU stories that attempted to introduce moral subtly or nuance into Star Wars. Hell he even re-edited his own film to, famously, remove a bit of nuance from the portrayal of a character that I'm sure I don't need to even say the name of for people to get this reference.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

NecroMonster posted:

Well Lucas himself disallowed any portrayal of Jedi as evil or even morally gray within all EU materials for, last I checked, the whole time he was in possession of the Star Wars IP. He was also vocally critical of EU stories that attempted to introduce moral subtly or nuance into Star Wars. Hell he even re-edited his own film to, famously, remove a bit of nuance from the portrayal of a character that I'm sure I don't need to even say the name of for people to get this reference.

Star Wars is pro-Jedi propaganda, it's told from their point of view. It will never allow us to view them objectively, but that doesn't mean that the characters themselves aren't nuanced. Star Wars is a story told by an unreliable narrator. We get a preamble before every movie just to make sure we know who the good guys are, lest there ever be any doubt.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 7, 2016

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

NecroMonster posted:

Death of the author.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

computer parts posted:

I don't really know any of that except the "they died" story.

quote:

During a Q&A with George Lucas:

Tim’s time finally comes, and it looks like he will be the second to the last question. He approaches the mic and starts his question - or more correctly his explanation. He goes on about how he always felt the strength of the films was in the protagonists, and how thoughts of Luke, Leia, Han and Chewey always helped get him through sad times because they were such fun and life-embracing people (people, not characters). I can’t even paraphrase everything he said, or how his excitement and joy grew with each word, but after a couple of minutes he finally got to the question. “So, basically, my question is to ask what happened to them after Jedi. Did they stay friends? Go on more adventures? Did they ever have kids of their own?”

This whole time George has been sitting in his chair with the table and water at his side on the stage in front of the screen. He doesn’t move or blink during the question, and appears to be giving Tim his rapt attention. After Tim finishes, he looks up for a moment or two in a “pondering” pose, then looks back and slowly says “They died.” He then turns to the other aisle for the final question.

Tim just sort of slowly stood at the mic after that. I couldn’t see his face, but his entire body just sort of slumped. The person in the other aisle just quietly said “I think you answered my question already” and went back to his seat. The theater was pitch quiet, Lucas had turned back to face the center of the theater and took a sip of water, and the professor just sort of slowly walked forward and said “If there are no more questions, lets take our break and start the film in ten minutes.”

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462468&pagenumber=727&perpage=40#post408124622 ?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I can safely say I have never read about Lucas's stance on the EU, so thank you for clarifying.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

So I'm looking to get the blu rays, and episodes 1-3 on Amazon are $35, Episodes 4-6 on Amazon are $35, but the complete saga episode 1-6 is $90. Is there any particular difference why I'd want to pay the extra 20?

I just realized the best I've ever seen Star Wars is a laserdisc lower quality than DVD, and the best I've ever seen the prequels apart from the theatre is SD cable.

It sounds like there are bonus features in the complete set, so if you really like that sort of stuff it might be worth :20bux: .

Serf
May 5, 2011

Given that most of the EU was hot garbage, I can't disagree with Lucas' efforts to troll them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

That's loving awesome

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I can even see him wanting the moral ambiguity of the Jedi to play out in his films rather than some novels where people are going to then go "oh he just ripped that off the Trials of Khandaq series".

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

greatn posted:

That's loving awesome

Is there a :disagreed: emoticon?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

I can even see him wanting the moral ambiguity of the Jedi to play out in his films rather than some novels where people are going to then go "oh he just ripped that off the Trials of Khandaq series".

eeh. Lucas is willing to change his own mind based on his own ideas, it's only when others attempt to guide or shape his ideas that he has problems. But he also isn't ever willing to admit he did change his mind either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Jedi are never particularly immoral, sometimes they are a bit unethical and stupid.

I guess the whole slave army is pretty drat immoral... But I'm not sure exactly what the power structure is there? Are they genetically engineered to be loyal, are they actually paid a salary and free to do whatever if they want?

• Locked thread