Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just did a quick search in gmarket - it's something along like this

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=623714791

Each cabinet will be slightly smaller compared to your plastic boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

caberham posted:

Just did a quick search in gmarket - it's something along like this

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=623714791

Each cabinet will be slightly smaller compared to your plastic boxes.

Ah. Yeah those. Completely different than what I thought you meant. I did look at those, but they were more expensive, less adjustable to limited space in the kitchen, and not air tight. They work great for little small things, but spices would spoil and stink up the house.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I just keep all my spices in three tubes. Salt, Pepper, and Ms. Dash.

Gilgamesh_Novem
Jun 12, 2007

I keep mine in traditional ceramic pot. Work better.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Gilgamesh_Novem posted:

I keep mine in traditional ceramic pot. Work better.

Oh man. That sounds like a mess. How do you separate them after they're mixed in the pot? It must be really colorful.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Where is the best Indian food in Seoul?

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

nervana posted:

Where is the best Indian food in Seoul?
This was the best curry I've had: http://maps.naver.com/?dlevel=11&pinType=site&pinId=33050063&x=127.0612701&y=37.5966051&enc=b64

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Haha thats funny. I lived off Hoegi for 2 years and I concur

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

GZA Genius posted:

Haha thats funny. I lived off Hoegi for 2 years and I concur

OS Ville?

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Yep Yep. Now its turned into some weird upscale hotel or something.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

GZA Genius posted:

Yep Yep. Now its turned into some weird upscale hotel or something.

I don't see how bathrooms that consist of a tiled corner and some frosted glass "walls" = upscale anything.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

superm0nk posted:

Best curry in Korea

Took the long trek up to HUFS area with astr0man to try it, and I'll have to say The Ganges was very good.

Some lovely pics of the food:

ps. Goonsgiving is this weekend. You should come Love Stole the Day. Do you really want to miss out on food made by Korea's best gooncook Maxsmart?

nervana fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 23, 2015

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Don't eat the bird seed.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Let's make a drunk after-party at Sam Ryan's a tradition.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
New Morroccan Sandwich place across from Four Seasons. Will post a trip report tomorrow.

spoiler: I may drunk post it. Get that probate ready.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

nullscan posted:

Chuseok has passed, now it's time for AMERICA!

And lovely mspaints I threw together when I was supposed to be working

First off, SIGN UP ON THE SPREADSHEET HERE IF YOU ARE EVEN PONDERING SHOWING UP! Better to have too much than not enough food!

When is this shindig?
November 28th, Last Saturday of November. Bit late, yeah, but most teachers aren't going to get Thursday off or anything. We'll be setting up and cooking around 2 or earlier, so just show up whenever? Food will be served around 6 to 7. Also, all are free to come the Friday before and help cook or just crash out at my place. I have plenty of room and blankets!

MENU
This year we're going simpler, with down home cooking, grits, meats, casseroles and whatever else we can think of. Maxsmart has stepped up to be lead chef this year and I'll be supplementing him where able. That being said, if anyone wants to bring something or come over the day before and help cook, you're more than welcome, just note it on the spreadsheet!

How many bitcoins is this going to run me?
Previous Turkeyparties have ran donations-only but generally 10k to 20k won is typical.

If you don't have any cash don't let that be a deterrent though, tis the season for feeding freeloaders and I'll make up the diff.

Where's it at?
Since I've been movin' on up, this year it'll be smack dab in the middle of Itaewon!

Using Naver or Daum you can get directions fairly easy, but it's just a few minutes from Itaewon Station. Try 75-5 Itaewon-dong or 21-3 Itaewon-ro 16-gil.

Accommodations!
As always, goons are free to crash on the floor if they desire. Or fight it out for Race Car Bed. I have a futon, couch, and another bed available as well. Otherwise, Itaewon Land is just up the street as well as a few motels in the area. If you're coming from out of town and need help just ask in thread or Kakao and we'll figure something out!

Allergwarnings

I do still have Goon Favorite cat Pablo and standoffish priss Beyori. I'll be sure to do a good cleanup the days before to limit cat dander and hair, and will also have allergy medication on hand if it gets too much for anyone.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Another successful goonsgiving, thanks for coming all.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

The raid has been postponed, sorry for those who already made popcorn.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My wife and I are headed back to the states in March. We are mailing 95% of our stuff through regular mail and it's really cheap and easy. However, my wife has a big desk and cabinet that were both very expensive that she'd like to take. Anyone have experience shipping furniture back home?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Dismantle and use shipping company? Should take about 1-2 months by sea afaik.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Check around your area if there's a cabinet maker/furniture maker/woodshop and pay them to crate your furniture. You'll have to get it crated anyway, and having a shipper do it you'll almost always pay a huge markup.
Start looking for and getting quotes from international movers now, as they're you're best bet and will usually move it door-to-door (straight shippers will only usually send it to the destination port and you'll have to arrange something on the US end).

Expect to pay, though. Shipping furniture is not cheap, even on the slow boat.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
So, after 10 years here I'm leaving.
I'm giving away/selling most of my poo poo, so if you want something, speak up, and maybe I have it. I probably do. 10 years is a long time.
Mind, most of my poo poo has been spoken for by actual irl friends of mine, so may not be up for grabs.

Some poo poo that hasn't been claimed:
A bunch of clothes (I'm short and fat, so bear that in mind)
A mountain bike
A hookah and all essential paraphernalia
A framed picture of Bob Dylan and I believe Linda Ronstandt chilling on a backwoods porch
Many, many laptops, computers, misc cables, etc. (nothing super modern but good enough for an office/kid)
Other various poo poo.

Again, if you might want it, please ask. I'd rather it go to a goon for free or a few bucks than deal with the vultures on esl cafe or craigslist. Plus, I don't want to be the guy selling half used bars of soap for 5k won.

If you're shy about posting publicly, please email at ladron@hotmail

Merry Christmas.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

ladron posted:

I'm giving away/selling most of my poo poo, so if you want something, speak up, and maybe I have it. I probably do. 10 years is a long time.
Mind, most of my poo poo has been spoken for by actual irl friends of mine, so may not be up for grabs.

Some poo poo that hasn't been claimed:
A bunch of clothes (I'm short and fat, so bear that in mind)
A mountain bike
A hookah and all essential paraphernalia
A framed picture of Bob Dylan and I believe Linda Ronstandt chilling on a backwoods porch
Many, many laptops, computers, misc cables, etc. (nothing super modern but good enough for an office/kid)
Other various poo poo.

Again, if you might want it, please ask. I'd rather it go to a goon for free or a few bucks than deal with the vultures on esl cafe or craigslist. Plus, I don't want to be the guy selling half used bars of soap for 5k won.

If you're shy about posting publicly, please email at ladron@hotmail

Merry Christmas.

What's up with the computers/laptops? What kinds of parts do you have to work with? Because I was looking to make my own Frankenstein or whatever and if you have a good part or two, I'd love to save some money and buy it from you rather than Naver Shopping or whatever.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Love Stole the Day posted:

What's up with the computers/laptops? What kinds of parts do you have to work with? Because I was looking to make my own Frankenstein or whatever and if you have a good part or two, I'd love to save some money and buy it from you rather than Naver Shopping or whatever.

Nothing noteworthy. An old shuttle pc, a few old laptops, etc. Nothing top of the line or specced for Crysis 3 or anything. Like I said, good enough to sit in an office or give a kid to do homework on, but not much better.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Happy holidays just had Korean food. Miss you all

nullscan
May 28, 2004

ladron posted:

Dibs. Where are you anyway?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

nullscan posted:

Dibs. Where are you anyway?

Near sookdae, samgakji and seoul station. shoot me a kakao and I'll send you a pic of it. ID = ladron

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

Could you guys recommend me the best company to to fly from Seoul > Tokyo? Specifically in May, if that helps. I've looked around on Skyscanner, and it seems Peach or Jejuair are the cheapest, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend something better? Thanks!

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Korean air, Asiana air, JAL, ANA.

But then I never fly low budget airlines.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Peach is fine if you aren't an 18th century aristocrat like Aesis.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Whizbang posted:

Peach is fine if you aren't an 18th century aristocrat like Aesis.
I beg your pardon? :argh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Peach is fine, it's like a 1.5 hour flight so there's no reason to spend more than the minimum. Flying bus.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I get my airline tickets in bundles of 50 flights for 50 dollars and I only sleep in hostels where I am forced to shovel poo poo from an outhouse as part of the rate

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I love Peach. They spray peach-scented perfume in the plane when you board and when you disembark so it's the first and last thing you smell on the plane. I like that.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

Thanks! Peach it is.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Ran through my list of major hospitals and none of them do surgeries on Saturday. Anyone know of a Brigadoon like place that does surgery on Saturday.

I know nobody knows, just bitching because "it's Korean law that first year employees don't get vacation."

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

DontAskKant posted:

Ran through my list of major hospitals and none of them do surgeries on Saturday. Anyone know of a Brigadoon like place that does surgery on Saturday.

I know nobody knows, just bitching because "it's Korean law that first year employees don't get vacation."

Pretty sure you're required by law to get one day off per month worked in your first year, that gets deducted from your total leave that you're awarded for your first year of work.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Maxsmart posted:

Pretty sure you're required by law to get one day off per month worked in your first year, that gets deducted from your total leave that you're awarded for your first year of work.

"That you earn in your first year, but applies to your second year, but you can borrow from your second year in your first year"

Which disincentives you to stay for a second year. Basically, we all know the law but you got to fight for it. Also that doesn't apply to hagwons with their 5 and 10 days?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

When my ankle broke, I went to Seoul Samsung Hospital on a Saturday at like 2pm and was okay. It wasn't surgery but the ER was open. Give them a call; maybe they can?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

AmbientParadox posted:

When my ankle broke, I went to Seoul Samsung Hospital on a Saturday at like 2pm and was okay. It wasn't surgery but the ER was open. Give them a call; maybe they can?

Yeah, the ER is always an option. I've lived with this for a while now, but I'd rather get it done with sooner rather than later as its starting to really hurt, but I'm not sure how much of a markup surgery ER is or if you can treat them like we do in the states.