Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Being impulsive has its perks

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My dad is super into those kinds of cars that run on a a fuel mix with a tiny 2 stroke cylinder. Little remote control car that can do 50-60 MPH. This has resulted in more than one remote control car exploding into a shower of plastic and metal pieces when it hits something, but I think he likes the repairing as much as he does the driving.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

SumYungGui posted:

My dad is super into those kinds of cars that run on a a fuel mix with a tiny 2 stroke cylinder. Little remote control car that can do 50-60 MPH. This has resulted in more than one remote control car exploding into a shower of plastic and metal pieces when it hits something, but I think he likes the repairing as much as he does the driving.

I like the nitro ones too but the engines are temperamental little bitches sometimes and relatively recent advances in lipo batteries and brushless motors make electric faster, more reliable, and cost less money over time. Also, you don't piss off all your neighbors with the screaming weedeater sound.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Those are probably all bonuses for my dad. I'm almost certain he enjoys the repairing/tinkering part in his workshop as much as he does the driving. I think a minifridge in his workshop has something to do with that but never bothered to confirm.

Also he hates his neighbors.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
watch update:
Definitely not something that has changed my life or anything but it has enhanced it in minor ways.

A good frivolous purchase.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
same. i like playing with the astronomy watch face and being able to take a call when i've got my gigantic phone in my pocket, instead of fumbling to get it out.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm waiting on doing a 5s - 6s upgrade. I get a price drop later this month and another in six months when my contract is up. ATT keeps sending me mail about the monthly package but :lol: at shelling out $600 total for a phone and having to give it back at the end.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm on the main upgrade path. I'm just going to buy my 7 outright next time since they're getting rid of the 2 year contracts.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nitro rc cars are a thing of the past IMO

I do not miss r/c poo poo from the 90s at all. Terrible all around. Too bad it missed its glory days with all the current tech.

I had a team associated truck that was a piece of poo poo and broke everytime I took it out

A kyosho inferno 7.5 that was a beast but again never ran

I just wanted something simple but still quality and somewhat durable. This 1:8 buggy electric buggy flies. I wanna say 25-35 mph. Mostly for my dog to chase though

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 6, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vasudus posted:

I'm on the main upgrade path. I'm just going to buy my 7 outright next time since they're getting rid of the 2 year contracts.

AT&T is? When?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You can't even get them at an Apple Store anymore. I bought my phone outright but my plan is cheaper now with more data.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Nitro rc cars are a thing of the past IMO

I do not miss r/c poo poo from the 90s at all. Terrible all around. Too bad it missed its glory days with all the current tech.

I had a team associated truck that was a piece of poo poo and broke everytime I took it out

A kyosho inferno 7.5 that was a beast but again never ran

I just wanted something simple but still quality and somewhat durable. This 1:8 buggy electric buggy flies. I wanna say 25-35 mph. Mostly for my dog to chase though

I had an MRC/Tamiya King Cab that I beat the hell out of and a Bullhead I never really used.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I kind of want to get into electric planes but I know how deep that rabbit hole goes

An ocean boat would be cool too

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I bought my kid a $45 Traxxas/Estes quadcopter for Christmas and it's such a blast I'm gonna get one for myself.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
don't forget to register it with the faa!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-zeCXlFPjk

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I like the parts of the video with a Corgi in it :shittydog:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Godholio posted:

I bought my kid a $45 Traxxas/Estes quadcopter for Christmas and it's such a blast I'm gonna get one for myself.

I bought my son a Syma X11 or X11C or something off of amazon for like 30-35 dollars. Then I spent another 30 bucks on half a dozen batteries and a charger. He can fly his toy for like an hour and forty five minutes before having to recharge batteries now.

The thing flies great and is fairly durable. The only con I see is that the repair parts I ordered straight from Syma ship from Singapore.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I remember Estes rocket, and these things:

Good for exactly 1.5 flights

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

i used to love chucking these things down the hill in my backyard

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i used to love chucking these things down the hill in my backyard

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Speaking of flying craft....

Love the idea but can we maybe put the rotors up top where there's less chance they'll maim someone on landing :ohdear:
http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/is-this-the-autonomous-taxi-of-our-dreams-1751426309

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Love the idea but can we maybe put the rotors up top where there's less chance they'll maim someone on landing :ohdear:
http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/is-this-the-autonomous-taxi-of-our-dreams-1751426309

That thing looks to be about 4 feet tall, so unless you're landing in a playground it's still gonna gently caress up any bystanders.

Same company. I'm not sure if they design/build the quadcopter or if Traxxas did (or some other company) but it turns out there's a lot of badge engineering with these things. I think the Estes version is $2 or 3 cheaper. Came with 2 batteries, a USB charger that'll charge both at the same time, and some spare blades. The blades pop off rather than break though, which so far has been a good thing. It flies for close to 10 minutes per battery.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 7, 2016

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Estes rockets were cool as gently caress once upon a time.

That passenger carrying quad copter probably needs its rotors lower than the center of gravity for flying purposes? or something like that? Whatever, it would be hilarious landing that thing in a playground.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Something about sitting in the plane of rotation doesn't seem like a great idea.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

After seeing how quads fly there is nothing about that thing I want to be a part of.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Rad Lieutenant posted:

This would be a fun way to die.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
This guy took a blower from a wall heater and used it to fly a model plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg8ZbiC9IBw

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Lazy Reservist posted:

This guy took a blower from a wall heater and used it to fly a model plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg8ZbiC9IBw
That video reminds me of when we had to read poo poo out loud in class. Some kids were better at it than others. I'm surprised this guy didn't stop and wait for the teacher to read the big words for him.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dad question: I'm trying a sous chef service and I have a bag of pork (cubed roast) in brine for slow cooking and pulling. The instructions say to remove the pork from the brine, rinse and pat dry, then put in the cooker on low for 9 hours. I'm wary of there being no instructions to put anything else in there with the meat. Is there enough liquid in the meat or should I go with my gut and stick a cup of water in with it before cooking?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Follow the instructions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bare meat will scorch against the surface of the slow cooker. You don't need to add liquid but you should at least put a vegetable layer (like a bunch of onion slices) in between the meat and the cooker.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Do you want to link the instructions also what is a "sous chef service"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

Do you want to link the instructions also what is a "sous chef service"

It's a service that you buy mostly-prepared meals from, but do the cooking yourself. In this case the sauce is already made the the meat comes sealed in brine. I think I'll drop an onion layer in since that's what some other recipes suggest. It's just weird to be instructed to put bare meat and nothing else in.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

It's a service that you buy mostly-prepared meals from, but do the cooking yourself. In this case the sauce is already made the the meat comes sealed in brine. I think I'll drop an onion layer in since that's what some other recipes suggest. It's just weird to be instructed to put bare meat and nothing else in.

Which service do you use?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

blue apron?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
When I make carnitas I toss the dry rubbed pork in with no extra liquid...there's enough liquid in the pork that it comes out as the meat cooks and prevents any problems. Doubly so if the meat is particularly fatty (which it usually is if I'm making carnitas) since the fat will render. I usually toss some sliced onions in on top but I've done it without onions with no scorching or other issues.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sous Kitchen

https://www.souskitchen.com/

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm going to make beef stew tomorrow. Will make an appropriate post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I don't mean to be a dick but come on man. Do you live in a food desert or something? Are you having a hard time learning to cook?

I can't see any reason to use these services other than the above -- not only are you paying 150% to 200% (vs. grocery stores) for someone to chop your veggies and then mail them to you, you are also losing out on the hard-earned lessons that come with learning kitchen prep the hard way. I also don't buy the "saves me time" argument.

Anyway, excuse me. I do hope the pulled pork cubes come out great and so forth. I never really understood those types of services (or heard the "sous service" label).

• Locked thread