Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

by.a.teammate posted:

~automatic drip stuff ~

I gave my parents that Bonavita drip machine, it's an extremely easy thing to operate and makes a drat good cup of coffee.

Technivorms are great machines, and there's a bit of adjustability in the showerhead. I'd suggest a model with the thermal carafe over the one with the hot plate, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just buy a V60 and let the stoner pour keep talkin'.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Thanks for the advice, gonna go Bonavita since £160 is my limit I reckon.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

When pouring try to avoid the light spots and aim for the darkness.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

You guys hosed me up, I bought the Hario vacpot and a butane burner on Amazon last night.. bought a french press the day before.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

God dammit. This should be probatable in this thread.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Anyone mind explaining their vacpot process/tips/tricks?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Grind your coffee around what you would for a drip brew and add it to the top chamber.
Pre-heat your water before pouring it into the bottom chamber.
Fire up your burner and put it below the bottom chamber.
Insert the top chamber into the bottom chamber.
Once all of the water has risen into the top chamber and it starts to bubble start a timer for between 60-90 seconds (this sort of depends on your grind).
Turn off the burner and let the vac pot siphon the coffee back down through the filter.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Thinking about picking up a pourover and looking at upgrading my kettle. Are the variable temperature controls on something like http://www.amazon.ca/Bonavita-BV382510V-Variable-Temperature-Gooseneck/dp/B005YR0F40 worth the extra cost over a regular gooseneck kettle?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Demon_Corsair posted:

Thinking about picking up a pourover and looking at upgrading my kettle. Are the variable temperature controls on something like http://www.amazon.ca/Bonavita-BV382510V-Variable-Temperature-Gooseneck/dp/B005YR0F40 worth the extra cost over a regular gooseneck kettle?

Be like the stoners and get a kettle to pour into your kettle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8hPfs3o8c

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Demon_Corsair posted:

It's extremely convenient, especially if you make white or green teas as well as coffee. Well worth the C$50 over the regular Bonavita gooseneck electric kettle IMHO.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 6, 2016

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Google Butt posted:

Pretty much what rockcity said. I use a plastic fork to stir the bloom, and probabl extract for more around 3 minutes. But, I also remove it from the burner immediately so it sucks down sooner... This is what I used this morning in my office... I think the pot and hotplate were made in 1955 :)

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Demon_Corsair posted:

That variable Bonavita is a great kettle and I have used it nearly every day for a year now. It is nice to set and forget it at 205F and have the water at temp in less than half the time versus a stovetop kettle with my stove on medium heat.

However, when I recently started doing V60, I found the pour on the Bonavita to be lacking. Its minimum pour is a bit heavier than other gooseneck kettles, but what really bothered me was that the Bonavita spout dribbles over itself and onto the counter if you tilt too far back and the flow cuts off.

I also do pourovers with the Hario kettle as well as the Yoshikawa and I have found that they are both much more controllable than the Bonavita. With these kettles you can get a finer pour, vary the stream easier without it cutting off, and when the flow does cut off the water does not dribble down their spouts and onto your counter.

The Bonavita simply is not as nice of a pourover kettle as the others, but it is very close and its quick, variable heat probably make it the best all-rounder.

If you have an induction cooktop, you can get a full Hario or Yoshikawa up to temp faster than the Bonavita. So if you already have induction heat, I would get the standard Buono kettle.

A lot of Amazon reviews say nasty things about the taste of water heated in the electric Hario kettle, and that it is not made in Japan like the standard kettle, so I did not try that one.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

porktree posted:

Pretty much what rockcity said. I use a plastic fork to stir the bloom, and probabl extract for more around 3 minutes. But, I also remove it from the burner immediately so it sucks down sooner... This is what I used this morning in my office... I think the pot and hotplate were made in 1955 :)

Sorry, yeah, forgot about stirring. I stir once when it's about half full of water and once right after I pull the burner. The stir at the end will also cause the grounds to form a nice dome in the middle for the coffee to filter through. I have no idea if that has any real benefit, but it might.

Edit: Spelling.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 6, 2016

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

rockcity posted:

Sorry, year forgot about stirring. I stir once when it's about half full of water and once right after I pull the burner. The stir at the end will also cause the grounds to form a nice dome in the middle for the coffee to filter through. I have no idea if that has any real benefit, but it might.

It makes me happy, which is a high purpose.

LakeMalcom
Jul 3, 2000

It's raining on prom night.
I currently have an Aeropress, a small french press, and a moka pot. The trouble is, if I have people over, I have nothing to brew a large batch of coffee quickly, so I end up either using 3 different things or taking a long time to make everyone a cup of coffee. What can I add to my little collection to make a good large batch? Something that makes like enough for 6 8-10oz cups of coffee?

Considering this: http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Brazil-2-Liter-French-Coffee/dp/B008F3Y42O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1452122779&sr=8-4&keywords=large+french+press

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why not just get a second normal sized french press and make both pots when you need a lot of coffee?

LakeMalcom
Jul 3, 2000

It's raining on prom night.
That's a great idea, except I didn't mention that my current one is a single cup press.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

rockcity posted:

Grind your coffee around what you would for a drip brew and add it to the top chamber.
Pre-heat your water before pouring it into the bottom chamber.
Fire up your burner and put it below the bottom chamber.
Insert the top chamber into the bottom chamber.
Once all of the water has risen into the top chamber and it starts to bubble start a timer for between 60-90 seconds (this sort of depends on your grind).
Turn off the burner and let the vac pot siphon the coffee back down through the filter.

Most of the other guides I've seen instruct you to let the water enter the top chamber before adding grounds. Does it really matter?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

LakeMalcom posted:

That's a great idea, except I didn't mention that my current one is a single cup press.

I think that large Bodum press looks fine, but you'll probably also want some kind of insulated vessel for serving. Plus, that way you can make ahead and keep hot if you want to make a lot of coffee for guests.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

LakeMalcom posted:

I currently have an Aeropress, a small french press, and a moka pot. The trouble is, if I have people over, I have nothing to brew a large batch of coffee quickly, so I end up either using 3 different things or taking a long time to make everyone a cup of coffee. What can I add to my little collection to make a good large batch? Something that makes like enough for 6 8-10oz cups of coffee?

Considering this: http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Brazil-2-Liter-French-Coffee/dp/B008F3Y42O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1452122779&sr=8-4&keywords=large+french+press

I have this in red. It's fine, but has an annoying quirk due to the way the handle/base attaches to the glass:

There's a weird lump on the top of the handle that hangs over the glass and down inside it (to hold it in). That can sometimes snag when you're taking the lid on and off - especially on the filter when you put it in.

A small annoyance, but it'd make me choose another press.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Most of the other guides I've seen instruct you to let the water enter the top chamber before adding grounds. Does it really matter?

That's probably to prevent water that isn't hot enough making it up there first. If you start with hot water, that's not a concern. Plus, if you do coffee first that period acts as your bloom.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The USDA now says moderate coffee consumption can be part of a healthy diet. Drink up, guys.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mu Zeta posted:

The USDA now says moderate coffee consumption can be part of a healthy diet. Drink up, guys.

Which coffee grower paid them off?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably Peet's.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

rockcity posted:

That's probably to prevent water that isn't hot enough making it up there first. If you start with hot water, that's not a concern. Plus, if you do coffee first that period acts as your bloom.

I agree, but my brief experimentation found them to be fairly similar, so i'd say just try a few different things (water first, grounds first, steep while cooling, removing from heat and cooling immediately...) before settling on a method.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ChickenArise posted:

I agree, but my brief experimentation found them to be fairly similar, so i'd say just try a few different things (water first, grounds first, steep while cooling, removing from heat and cooling immediately...) before settling on a method.

What do you mean by steep while cooling? Like lowering the heat? I use an alcohol lamp so I just pull the lamp at the end of the brew time.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Mine's on a gas stove, so the grills retain quite a bit of heat. It takes some shortish amount of time before it drains naturally. I also have a beat up marble slab next to my stove that I use as a heat sink when needed and if I set the pot there it drains immediately.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ChickenArise posted:

Mine's on a gas stove, so the grills retain quite a bit of heat. It takes some shortish amount of time before it drains naturally. I also have a beat up marble slab next to my stove that I use as a heat sink when needed and if I set the pot there it drains immediately.

Ok, that's what I figured. With the stand version that I have, there's no real way to steep. Once you remove the burner the vacuum process happens within about 5 seconds.

luvs2Bgraded
Jan 22, 2003
Stumptown is really delivering when it comes to coffee videos. Look at this beauty, https://vimeo.com/149352876

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

luvs2Bgraded posted:

Stumptown is really delivering when it comes to coffee videos. Look at this beauty, https://vimeo.com/149352876

god. dammit.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

luvs2Bgraded posted:

Not a goddamn chance I'm clicking on another Stumptown link after the video that must not be named.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like that one. It's like a Tim and Eric sketch. I have no desire to drink a coconut cold brew though.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

First batch of vacpot turned out great. It really is like pour over mixed with french press, owns.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey guys, it's time for YACK (yet another coffee kickstarter)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/auroma/auroma-coffee-science-machine-that-learns-your-pre

edit: Poor Jerry in the comments section. He is trying to warn everyone and yet they're throwing money at this thing.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 8, 2016

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Eagerly awaiting my aeropress kit arriving within the next week or so, any tips for using it correctly?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

What order-onlineable beans are your favorite? US or UK.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 8, 2016

luvs2Bgraded
Jan 22, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/auroma/auroma-coffee-science-machine-that-learns-your-pre

edit: Poor Jerry in the comments section. He is trying to warn everyone and yet they're throwing money at this thing.

They still never addressed Jerry's point about the grinder being more complicated than they seem to anticipate. Also I have to laugh at the idea that manufacturing in China will magically make a decent flat burr grinder inexpensive.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

luvs2Bgraded posted:

They still never addressed Jerry's point about the grinder being more complicated than they seem to anticipate. Also I have to laugh at the idea that manufacturing in China will magically make a decent flat burr grinder inexpensive.

Yeah, the China comment is ridiculous. You think these other companies making burr grinders aren't making their products there? Making precisely machine parts that interface with other precisely machined parts is not a cheap process. I'm heavily involved in that in my day job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Steve Yun posted:

The thing that bugs me the most about their sell is that they are marketing the idea that if a process has a learning curve at all then it isn't worth learning, and that learning how to pour hot water onto ground beans is harder than learning how to manage automated settings on a machine with software.