Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Just kidding brisbane is poo poo and full of poo poo people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
It's always a nice day in Brisbane

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Also. Lol you are jealous of our superior Queensland genes. *thumps chest and drinks four x*

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think you mean clinical sub-retarded population

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

EvilElmo posted:

Greens selling out their core values to expand their vote to the wider public? That'd never happen!

Wonder how long until history is rewritten and GM food production was always a good idea and Green policy!

Funny that a hack apologising for a Stalinist party tries (and fails) to obliquely invoke 1984.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

EvilElmo posted:

Greens selling out their core values to expand their vote to the wider public? That'd never happen!

Wonder how long until history is rewritten and GM food production was always a good idea and Green policy!

To be fair, this would actually be a good thing. I really don't care if the Greens sell out the core values which are misinformed.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Shakugan posted:

To be fair, this would actually be a good thing. I really don't care if the Greens sell out the core values which are misinformed.

Yeah check this out.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-07/di-natale-breaks-greens-policy-on-genetically-modified-crops/7073086

quote:

"The concerns are less around human health and much more around the application of the technology when it comes to giving farmers choice, ensuring that farmers are able to produce a non-GM product if they choose, making sure we don't use this technology simply to drive up the use of more herbicides and pesticides, which is not which is not good land management," he said.

Careful now, this obviously heralds Winston Di Natale turning Australia into Boat Launch One.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I await the shitstorm when Richard goes pro-nuclear.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
The out of hand dismissal of nuclear power is one of the most idiotic positions of leftist parties the world over.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
120 new posts overnight, what ha... oh, right.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EXAKT Science posted:

The out of hand dismissal of nuclear power is one of the most idiotic positions of leftist parties the world over.

I actually conversed with Scott Ludlam about this, and he convinced me that nuclear power is not right for Australia. It's not needed, it will take too long, the risks are too high compared to other generation methods and as long as there is humans in control of the systems, there will always be a giant glaring weak spot.

That's not to say it's not right for other nations, but it's not right for Australia.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

In news that I swear isn't from the onion, Abbott tells turnbull to keep promises

http://www.afr.com/news/tony-abbott-calls-for-malcolm-turnbull-to-lay-out-budget-repair-plan-20160105-gm027k

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Nooo! IT'S SUPER DUTTON!

quote:

HE has a nodding kind of mumble that gives the impression he is harmless. A middle-aged man in a blue suit, with nothing much to contribute.

This is all part of the ruse.

This is the Clark Kent image he has fostered. A gentle incompetence has lulled the electorate into a false sense of underestimation.

The truth is ... Peter Dutton must be a super hero. There can be no other explanation for his existence.

He may not wear his underpants on the outside but Dutton has perfected his very own super power: the art of political survival.

Super Pete really is “The Bloke They Cannot Sack”

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
This is cool

quote:

Western Australia would not be able to privatise its electricity assets “even if they gave it to them for nothing” because the popularity of rooftop solar panels has made state-owned power stations unprofitable, a renewable energy expert has said.

Prof Philip Jennings, a lecturer in energy and physics at Murdoch University, said the uptake of solar was a looming problem for the Barnett government, which has indicated it may consider privatising some or all of its energy assets after the 2017 state election.

An analysis of energy regulator data by Curtin University found that rooftop solar panels had the capacity to produce more electricity than any power station servicing the Perth grid.

WA’s electricity network is 66% over capacity, thanks in part to an unexpected increase in rooftop solar.

“Effectively we have built another very large power station on the rooftops of Perth, and that is what has thrown the government’s calculations out because they didn’t factor it into their calculations when they decided to go in and bring [coal-fired power stations] Muja A and B back online,” Jennings told Guardian Australia.

The Muja A and B power stations at Collie, 200km south of Perth, described as the “oldest and least-efficient” power stations in WA, were decommissioned in 2007 but recommissioned after more than $250m in upgrades and a brief period of mothballing in 2014.

They are used intermittently at high-demand times.

The power stations, which Jennings described as “not particularly clean and not particularly efficient”, were tipped to be among the state assets up for sale in a bid by the treasurer, Mike Nahan, to curb WA’s credit rating.

But Jennings said unless the state’s energy profile changed, investors were unlikely to be interested in Muja or any other assets.

“I think they would be very keen to get the power stations or the network off their books as soon as they possibly can, but they need to make some income from it,” he said. “At the present situation I don’t think anyone would take it even if they gave it to them for nothing.”

Jennings said the government may be forced to increase the fixed rate paid by electricity customers, or require the fixed rate be paid even by homes that are not on the grid, to counteract the effect of household solar and keep its network profitable.

The cost of electricity in WA has increased 85% since 2008, and the number of houses with solar panels has increased by 40%.

Solar panels popular in Queensland’s poorest suburbs, not with the 'latte set'
Read more
“Every time they put up the tariff for coal-fired power in WA it just encourages people to put solar on their rooftops,” he said. “We’re not talking solar panels in Cottesloe [the beachfront inner-city suburb where the state premier, Colin Barnett, lives]. The general take-up rates are not in the wealthy suburbs, they are in the mortgage belt. People factor it into the cost of building a house.”

Prof Peter Newman, who co-wrote the analysis of rooftop solar with research fellow Jemma Green for Curtin University, said the number of solar panels in Perth was expected to grow by 25% a year, which he said would only make the state’s fossil-fuel-powered power stations less attractive to private industry.

“I reckon the sooner they do it the better,” he said.

Nahan, who is also the energy minister, has previously said any plan to privatise the electricity network would have to be taken to an election.

Asked if he would take it to the 2017 election, Nahan said this week: “Although there are no immediate plans to do so, this state government is not opposed to selling individual power assets and it could be a possibility in the future.”

He also said that any decision to close individual power plants would be considered “in due course” and that he “continued to support” the use of rooftop solar.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/06/was-rooftop-solar-so-popular-power-privatisation-not-an-option-says-expert?CMP=soc_567

Could be that we start seeing the 'death spiral' of the power grid over there as they keep introducing more tariffs to support the costs of running an increasingly underused network.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Hope so. Max solar power ahoy.

Now we just need solar V6s and I'm made.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

EvilElmo posted:

hey dude how goes the change from within

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Frogmanv2 posted:

I actually conversed with Scott Ludlam about this, and he convinced me that nuclear power is not right for Australia. It's not needed, it will take too long, the risks are too high compared to other generation methods and as long as there is humans in control of the systems, there will always be a giant glaring weak spot.

That's not to say it's not right for other nations, but it's not right for Australia.

I agree 100%. However, having policy to not involve Australia in any aspect of waste reprocessing and/or storage is real head in the sand stuff after being very responsible for letting the uranium genie out of the bottle.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

EXAKT Science posted:

You'd fit right in over at r/australia

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

A more pressing concern about this alleged "green" energy is the impact that wind turbines are having on local residents. Those things just aren't safe. You aren't taking energy debates seriously unless you consider the health impacts these wind farms and wind turbines have.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Recoome posted:

A more pressing concern about this alleged "green" energy is the impact that wind turbines are having on local residents. Those things just aren't safe. You aren't taking energy debates seriously unless you consider the health impacts these wind farms and wind turbines have.

indeed *scratches foul scrote* m. quite *stands up from wicker chair, look to horizon with thoughtful hilbily stare*

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Why are people talking about Joyce as Deputy PM today? Did people finally remember Truss existed only to check in on him and find out he died months ago?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I wouldn't have thought it that controversial that the health impacts of energy generation should be considered.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Why are people talking about Joyce as Deputy PM today? Did people finally remember Truss existed only to check in on him and find out he died months ago?

Joyce has come out and said he feels ready to lead. That's about it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

open24hours posted:

I wouldn't have thought it that controversial that the health impacts of energy generation should be considered.

wind turbines

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Recoome posted:

wind turbines

I'm far more concerned about how ugly they are.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Many months ago.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

open24hours posted:

They have been. The point is there are no health concerns regarding wind turbines.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The current leadership bloc has been unsuccessfully stalling for alternatives to Joyce as leader for quite a while and Joyce's statement today is being read as a sign that they've finally run out of time/options, basically.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

starkebn posted:

They have been. The point is there are no health concerns regarding wind turbines.

Yes and we know this because we took the time to consider the impacts and continue to monitor them.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Jonah Galtberg posted:

You'd fit right in over at r/australia

Mostly I'm jealous that your Greens are a functional party rather than a bunch of impotent whiners who couldn't run a campaign to save their lives.

Also nuclear power has the highest ratio of power generated to space used of any means of power generation side from hydro and doesn't belch tonnes of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere to do it. Are there arguments against it and circumstances where it shouldn't be used? Absolutely. The operative phrase in my post was "dismissed out of hand," I.e. because "nukes are scary" or some such bollocks, rather than an actual reasoned argument.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

What do you do with nuclear waste?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

starkebn posted:

Yeah tell that to the birds you loving monster

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Recoome posted:

Use it as part of a multistage process to generate more power, and ultimately end up with byproducts that have half-lifes orders of magnitude shorter than what the waste from a single-stage reactor has. Look at India's nuclear program as an example.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

That's part of the discussion about pro/con of nuclear power.

I agree that it a mistake to dismiss nuclear power out of hand and I think the greens need to move to more reasoned position on it and GM rather than holding onto NUKE BAD GM BAD, lest they walk the same ideology over facts path as Labor and Libs.

EDIT: I do think nuclear power is probably not the best decision for Australia right now. We probably should have gone nuclear in the 80's and now be replacing it with renewables but lol coal.

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 7, 2016

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

EXAKT Science posted:

The operative phrase in my post was "dismissed out of hand," I.e. because "nukes are scary" or some such bollocks, rather than an actual reasoned argument.

good thing the greens have a very strongly reasoned argument against nuclear power, then. glad we're in agreement :)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

EXAKT Science posted:

Use it as part of a multistage process to generate more power, and ultimately end up with byproducts that have half-lifes orders of magnitude shorter than what the waste from a single-stage reactor has. Look at India's nuclear program as an example.

hooman posted:

I agree that it a mistake to dismiss nuclear power out of hand and I think the greens need to move to more reasoned position on it and GM rather than holding onto NUKE BAD GM BAD, lest they walk the same ideology over facts path as Labor and Libs.

EDIT: I do think nuclear power is probably not the best decision for Australia right now. We probably should have gone nuclear in the 80's and now be replacing it with renewables but lol coal.

Ah that's cool, I wasn't being snarky or poo poo I actually was legit curious

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

BBJoey posted:

good thing the greens have a very strongly reasoned argument against nuclear power, then. glad we're in agreement :)

where can I read about this?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

hooman posted:

As I recall, Ludlam went over the reasons the Greens aren't pro-nuclear last year, and it was something along the lines of 'it's better than what we do have now, but it's not better than what we could have now'.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

EvilElmo posted:

lol since when was being anti-GM a core Greens policy you sad flaccid man.

Here is what Scott Ludlam recently wrote about nuclear power in Australia. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/06/call-me-emotional-if-you-like-but-my-anti-nuclear-arguments-are-based-on-evidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, prior to the early 1990's, we would have likely come out ahead by investing in nuclear technology. At this point the technology is getting good enough and we have so much free open space that investing in renewable energy like solar thermal is so obviously the best long term idea.

That said, I'm all in favour of nuclear waste being stored in Australia. We make money selling uranium to the world, the correct thing to do is to take responsibility for disposing of it. If we don't want to bury it again here, then we shouldn't be digging it up in the first place.

edit: Beaten by Ludlum linkage.

• Locked thread