Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

whydirt posted:

There may be a lot of bad flavor text now, but I'm so glad we don't have quotes from or art depicting the Weatherlight crew anymore. Gerrard was a bad Commander Riker ripoff anyway.

Shut your hole, he gave his life ... his LIFE to save all those things they were supposed to save!

What those were, I DONT KNOW ... but one of them was SQUEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Devor posted:

I'm glad they decided not to push Manacrab. That point of power would have made him unbearable.

A friend pointed out that you can give it a Jitte and it goes past Ensnaring Bridge.

But really now it's strictly cuter than Manakin, and that's what matters in this case.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think only uncommons and above will have C in their casting cost. We haven't seen the commons with it so we don't even know if it will be worth enabling in draft yet.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think only uncommons and above will have C in their casting cost. We haven't seen the commons with it so we don't even know if it will be worth enabling in draft yet.

As it stands, it is one of the best mana dorks in the draft.

Being that it is the only one under three mana whose generated mana can be used for any spell, not just creatures.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I expect it will be like processing: The only card we had that you couldn't cast at all without exiled cards to process was Processor Assault, the rest of them you could at least run out as a vanilla creature for no extra value if you had to.
Probably most the cards with colorless mana symbols on them will use them in activated abilities or kicker costs and there will be relatively few cards that are literally unplayable without colorless mana. (Probably mostly at rare. I'd be surprised if we so more than 5 or so commons and uncommons with colorless symbols in their actual mana costs.)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

En Fuego posted:

Shut your hole, he gave his life ... his LIFE to save all those things they were supposed to save!

What those were, I DONT KNOW ... but one of them was SQUEE

isn't squee invincible to begin with

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Something something jeskai ascendancy combo still won't work anyway and that PAINS ME.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Angry Grimace posted:

Literal Hedron Crab.

There is no drat reason they didn't reprint that lil' guy this year.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Is MTGO worth it for pauper? No stores here play paper pauper and I really want to play a competitive format but right now I can't afford a legit modern or legacy deck. You have to pay to participate in MTGO pauper tournaments right?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

superstepa posted:

Is MTGO worth it for pauper? No stores here play paper pauper and I really want to play a competitive format but right now I can't afford a legit modern or legacy deck. You have to pay to participate in MTGO pauper tournaments right?

I'm also interested in the answer to this.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

your question started with 'is mtgo worth it...' so I'm going to say no.

but i dont play pauper so i'll let someone else field it

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

superstepa posted:

If pauper wasn't being played so heavily I would not have MTGO installed. When they intentionally sabotaged the daily events, I did not play any MTGO. I started again when they brought Pauper Leagues into existence.

Pauper is very fun. MTGO is excessively terrible. Think of it this way, comparing this thread to MTGO - Pauper is that Chandra/Jace+Sorin photoshop, the MTGO client is McMagic's posts. You've gotta decide whether that's worth it to you.

also I haven't paid money into MTGO for like four years so ask someone else about financial junk.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Devor posted:

I'm glad they decided not to push Manacrab. That point of power would have made him unbearable.
It would have needed another +1/+2 to be unbearable.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

literally has an AT field, haha

i love eva-drazi

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

superstepa posted:

Hellsau posted:

Pauper is very fun. MTGO is excessively terrible. Think of it this way, comparing this thread to MTGO - Pauper is that Chandra/Jace+Sorin photoshop, the MTGO client is McMagic's posts. You've gotta decide whether that's worth it to you.

I was going to say something relevant but this paragraph is perfect.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mandatory lesbian posted:

i love eva-drazi

The old promo WPN Eldrazi was literally Eva unit 01.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

superstepa posted:

I dislike having to boot up Windows and MTGO certainly can be annoying, but I still ended up getting into playing online regularly thanks to giving pauper a try.

You have to pay $10 to make an account. Then you can get a competitive deck for anywhere from 5-30 tickets (1 ticket is one USD basically.)
Yes, you have to pay to play in events with prizes (play points,) but if you win somewhat regularly you won't have to pay real money all that often and will be able to enter events using the play points you win. Most folks are probably playing leagues right now, which cost 8 tickets or 80 play points. There are also 2 ticket/20 play point two person battles, as well as dailies and 8 person single elimination tournaments, and I dunno off hand how much they cost.
If you ever run out of tickets or fun bucks you can always play in the practice rooms for free, as well.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah, the good thing for MTGO is that if you only want to pay to build a constructed deck, you could just play in the practice rooms and never have to pay another red cent ever again. Playing long tournaments on MTGO is a bit of a slog in the first place.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

If pauper wasn't being played so heavily I would not have MTGO installed. When they intentionally sabotaged the daily events, I did not play any MTGO. I started again when they brought Pauper Leagues into existence.

also I haven't paid money into MTGO for like four years so ask someone else about financial junk.

Bad analogy, McMagic's posts are fine now, MtGO still sucks.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

superstepa posted:

Yes. That and more drafts are the only reasons to play MODO. Pauper leagues are very fun and minimal investment for constructed. You can break even in leagues at 3-2 so it is pretty easy to have minimal investment. You get packs for 4-1 and 5-0 so if you do well you can earn some free drafts.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped
Unlike limited, you don't exactly need to be LSV to go infinite in constructed on MTGO (ignoring deck costs). You need a 54% MWP to break even in leagues, which is very attainable if you're trying at all.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow I would love this game if the people I were playing with weren't garbage loving human beings who can't get over them loving selves. I swear to god, I seriously doubt everything I do is "op newb poo poo anyone could counter," and honestly, getting yelled at when I win is the loving worst. It also sounds like the whole community is terrible as well, so yaaaay for that I guess?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone who has ever drafted 3x Mirrodin should be doing the rotating MTGO draft of that right now. Nobody doing it has a clue how to and it's very fun. I'm wheeling spikeshot goblins and it owns so hard.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mandatory lesbian posted:

i love eva-drazi

Makes the actual killing of them (and their previous nigh-invulnerability) a little more reasonable.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Turtlicious posted:

Wow I would love this game if the people I were playing with weren't garbage loving human beings who can't get over them loving selves. I swear to god, I seriously doubt everything I do is "op newb poo poo anyone could counter," and honestly, getting yelled at when I win is the loving worst. It also sounds like the whole community is terrible as well, so yaaaay for that I guess?

Too bad. Everybody was welcoming when I came back to the game after a decade. There'll always be someone that's a bit unpleasant or overcompetitve, but in general I've had a very positive experience with the community.

I recommend you try out another store before you give up on the game. It's worth it.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

Rinkles posted:

I recommend you try out another store before you give up on the game. It's worth it.

Definitely do this. I've been playing since 4th edition, and that kind of experience is pretty unusual. If the store allows that kind of poo poo to happen, find another store and see how you go.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never even went to a store these are people who are supposed to be my personal friends!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I never even went to a store these are people who are supposed to be my personal friends!

Hah!

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
What even is op newb poo poo anyone could counter?

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Anyone who has ever drafted 3x Mirrodin should be doing the rotating MTGO draft of that right now. Nobody doing it has a clue how to and it's very fun. I'm wheeling spikeshot goblins and it owns so hard.

holy poo poo how does spikeshot wheel. That card is legit insane. Probably the second or third best card in the set after Loxodon Warhammer and like... I can/t even think of any better cards? Molder slug maybe?

Mince Pieface fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 7, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Nobody is passing me Loxodon Warhammer which is making the game less fun

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MiddleEastBeast posted:

What even is op newb poo poo anyone could counter?

Ob Nixilis first, until I looked up how to counter it, then infect decks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Yeah this is pretty ridiculous. Didn't even get any of the really good equipment, but a pinger is great, and 5ing something is worth four mana.

Holy crap was blue overdrafted.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Scepter + your shatters and Bolts seems hopelessly unfair.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Yeah this is pretty ridiculous. Didn't even get any of the really good equipment, but a pinger is great, and 5ing something is worth four mana.

Why the sideboard detonate, even w/ 2 shatters?

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

just rust posted:

You have to pay $10 to make an account. Then you can get a competitive deck for anywhere from 5-30 tickets (1 ticket is one USD basically.)
Yes, you have to pay to play in events with prizes (play points,) but if you win somewhat regularly you won't have to pay real money all that often and will be able to enter events using the play points you win. Most folks are probably playing leagues right now, which cost 8 tickets or 80 play points. There are also 2 ticket/20 play point two person battles, as well as dailies and 8 person single elimination tournaments, and I dunno off hand how much they cost.
If you ever run out of tickets or fun bucks you can always play in the practice rooms for free, as well.

Hellsau posted:

jassi007 posted:

Yes. That and more drafts are the only reasons to play MODO. Pauper leagues are very fun and minimal investment for constructed. You can break even in leagues at 3-2 so it is pretty easy to have minimal investment. You get packs for 4-1 and 5-0 so if you do well you can earn some free drafts.

Aight, that sounds pretty good. I might get myself a deck just to see if MODO works for me. One last question: does the $10 registration fee come with 10 tix?
Thank you

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Hellsau posted:

I'm 6-0 so far and it hasn't been close. My game 3 of the last finals went:

T1: Swamp
T2: Swamp, Lead Myr
T3: Swmap, Lightning Greaves, Black Slith, Swing
T4: Swamp, Nightmare Lash, Equip Myr, Swing

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

:psyduck: how is this possible? do people not read cards?

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

The problem is people not knowing the format or the cards, they don't have enough time to read all the cards and figure out a strategy from there. If you do know the cards you're way ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Why the sideboard detonate, even w/ 2 shatters?

Didn't want to overload on artifact hate and get smashed by a Green deck. Green appeared to be getting cut from both sides, so I'm worried about that.

First round I discovered Clockwork Condor isn't a loving Clockwork creature like I'm used to from Shandalar, so I got super punished for not reading my cards. My 3/3 becoming a 2/2 instead of a 2/3 was unfun. It probably should be that Goblin Dirigible, since that untap ability is pretty great with the Gauntlets.

I don't think Detonate should have been maindecked in hindsight. I'm glad to have it to side in, but I have a lot of artifact removal already.

• Locked thread