Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Silly Burrito posted:

You won't be able to record shows from Sling TV. There are some that are on demand, but not all of them.

Not ever, or just not with that set up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

hollylolly posted:

Not ever, or just not with that set up?

Are you talking about Sling.TV the app, or the Sling TV device? Because if it's Sling.TV the app, unless something's changed recently, there's no way to record Sling.TV programs that I know of short of rigging something up from HDMI output of your Xbox to a VCR or other recording device.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

Are you talking about Sling.TV the app, or the Sling TV device? Because if it's Sling.TV the app, unless something's changed recently, there's no way to record Sling.TV programs that I know of short of rigging something up from HDMI output of your Xbox to a VCR or other recording device.

The app. I think? The only devices I see on the Sling TV website are like the Roku or Amazon Fire. I'm not opposed to getting a Roku, I just don't want to get one if the Xbox we already have has the same functionality.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

blk96gt posted:

So what does it mean to side load an app? Is it just a matter of installing it, then clicking on a Kodi icon on the home screen to launch?

To sideload means to install an app using another device. You basically download the app's apk file on your PC and install it to your Fire over your network. There are utilities available that automate it for you so it's kinda like installing any other software on your pc, only it's instead making your streaming device way more awesome.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

hollylolly posted:

The app. I think? The only devices I see on the Sling TV website are like the Roku or Amazon Fire. I'm not opposed to getting a Roku, I just don't want to get one if the Xbox we already have has the same functionality.

Ok, as long as the Xbox has the capability of using the Sling.tv app (and it looks like it does: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/entertainment/xbox-one/live-apps/sling-tv), you don't need a Roku or Fire. Sling.TV allows you to watch some shows On Demand, and for three days afterwards, but not all of them. Depends on the content provider.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

Ok, as long as the Xbox has the capability of using the Sling.tv app (and it looks like it does: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/entertainment/xbox-one/live-apps/sling-tv), you don't need a Roku or Fire. Sling.TV allows you to watch some shows On Demand, and for three days afterwards, but not all of them. Depends on the content provider.

Okay, thanks. I am going to try their 7 day trial to see exactly how it works, I think. :)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

hollylolly posted:

Bear with me as I talk through this - in theory I could get the HDHR Extend and stream the OTA live channels to a computer with Windows Media Player and use that to record shows which I could then cast to either of my TVs. I can also use my Xbox One for Sling TV for our main downstairs TV (I think). I'm not sure how to record the shows from Sling TV with this set up.

I'm not worried about another box for the upstairs, being able to cast video from the computer or using it's built in apps for netflix is probably enough. Sorry, there's just a lot of options and I don't want to spend money on separate boxes and systems that we don't necessarily need. BUT if it makes more sense to get a Roku/Shield and use that to funnel everything through...? :shrug: Or if there's a simpler way to facilitate the downloading of content from the internet to a place I can watch it on my TV...

Honestly you could save yourself a lot of hassle with the OTA DVR by just getting a Hulu subscription. None of the HDHomeruns have decent Chromecasting ability, not even the Extend (whose transcoder makes 1080i channels look demonstrably worse). You could use one of the pricier boxes like a ShieldTV or ATV4 that support MPEG2 for live TV, but a DVR for it will still kind of be a Rube Goldberg clusterfuck and god help you if you have a wife you intend to use it too. Your Xbox One can see the HDHomerun on the network but if you want to watch OTA TV on the Xbox One just get the tuner for it so you get the guide.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

blk96gt posted:

So what does it mean to side load an app? Is it just a matter of installing it, then clicking on a Kodi icon on the home screen to launch?

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's dead simple to sideload apps to the Fire TV.

Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> enable ADB Debugging
Settings -> System -> About -> Network -> *write down your box's IP address*

There's two popular UI programs for pushing apks from your computer to your box. adbFire or Amazon Fire TV Utility App. Personally, I like Utility App better but either one of them work. Input your IP address in the settings and go to town.

And you can also sideload an alternative launcher like Firestarter and set it to open Kodi when you double tap the home button on the remote. http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/app-root-home-launcher-replacement-app-t3118135

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I am looking at getting an attic or roof antenna to provide coverage for my entire house instead of using mohu leafs on every TV. I already have coax to every room and split in the basement as the previous owners had cable. If I hire a professional to install the antenna, what is a reasonable cost and expectation of man hours to have one installed and calibrated?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bigass Moth posted:

I am looking at getting an attic or roof antenna to provide coverage for my entire house instead of using mohu leafs on every TV. I already have coax to every room and split in the basement as the previous owners had cable. If I hire a professional to install the antenna, what is a reasonable cost and expectation of man hours to have one installed and calibrated?

You dont need a professional. They are literally 4 bolts. If you have a socket set and a drill you can install it yourself.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is there a recommended model you could suggest so i can research it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bigass Moth posted:

Is there a recommended model you could suggest so i can research it?

http://www.solidsignal.com/p/ota.asp?d=tv-antenna-selector-help&mc=03

Fill out all your info, be as accurate and specific as possible and they will recommend something for your exact situation based on your geographical location.

They are excellent and the large rca antenna they recommended to me works amazing.

If you are installing on roof make sure you ground it where it comes into the house and use roof tar on the bolts.

if in the attic and it never leaves the house then just bolt the fucker in and run the wiring. I have mine hanging by 2 bolts from a rafter. Then i just took a cheap 12" tv into the attic and rotated the antenna till i got the best signal.

Otherwise you would hook it up to your tv system and have someone watch a signal meter on one of the tvs/set top boxes.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 6, 2016

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm not super familiar with antennas but wouldn't you need some sort of power booster in order to provide a signal to multiple TV's from a single antenna? I never had an issue with a direct line to 1 TV, but I'm not sure about hooking up multiple TVs to the same antenna.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Falco posted:

I'm not super familiar with antennas but wouldn't you need some sort of power booster in order to provide a signal to multiple TV's from a single antenna? I never had an issue with a direct line to 1 TV, but I'm not sure about hooking up multiple TVs to the same antenna.

Boosters arn't a big deal. I use a BoostXT, you can find it at lowes and home depot.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
loving WBBM in Chicago and its VHF bullshit. I'd love to just hang an antenna in the rafters.

Gotta bolt it to the chimney so I get one of the only VHF stations still broadcasting in the US.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Thwomp posted:

loving WBBM in Chicago and its VHF bullshit. I'd love to just hang an antenna in the rafters.

Gotta bolt it to the chimney so I get one of the only VHF stations still broadcasting in the US.

I'm not going to google it, but I remember seeing that ~1/4 of stations are using VHF. Do you mean lo-VHF (RF ch. 2-6 or 7)?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Reading this thread it looks like The Shield is the way to go. However, I don't think I'd ever be able to convince my wife to use a videogame controller as a remote control and she is already on the fence about cutting cable as it is. That being said, if you lived in a world where The Shield didn't exist would you be buying a current gen. Apple TV or Amazon Fire? I don't really have any media bought on either ecosystem so that isn't a concern.

Thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Reading this thread it looks like The Shield is the way to go. However, I don't think I'd ever be able to convince my wife to use a videogame controller as a remote control and she is already on the fence about cutting cable as it is. That being said, if you lived in a world where The Shield didn't exist would you be buying a current gen. Apple TV or Amazon Fire? I don't really have any media bought on either ecosystem so that isn't a concern.

Thanks!

So get the remote with it for free. It's a nice small remote. That being said, I'd be buying a Roku 4 instead of an Apple or Fire if not the Shield, but out of those two, a Fire.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Silly Burrito posted:

So get the remote with it for free. It's a nice small remote. That being said, I'd be buying a Roku 4 instead of an Apple or Fire if not the Shield, but out of those two, a Fire.

Ah, I hadn't realized a Roku 4 was out. Thanks for that! I'll also look closer into the Shield.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks!

It comes with the remote for free now, and it's a pretty decent little remote with a headphone jack. It works perfectly fine with every media app, and if you take a few minutes to sideload the new Kodi (Jarvis, newer than the one on the play store) and read my other post about keymappings it works great with Kodi as well. The fact that it has so few buttons is something a lot of people view as a plus.

Your or your wife will never need to touch the controller if you don't want; I have two Shields and the controller for one is sitting in a drawer. I'm probably just going to pair it to the other one for multiplayer gaming.

It also works with IR universal remotes like the Harmony.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks!

You can sideload Android apps to the Fire TV and there's a pretty good developer community for it. It's also $65 cheaper (and for $20 a year, you can put all your music into Amazon's cloud and it will work with voice search/Alexa. or you can load them on a usb stick and play them in kodi)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can sideload Android apps to the Fire TV and there's a pretty good developer community for it. It's also $65 cheaper (and for $20 a year, you can put all your music into Amazon's cloud and it will work with voice search/Alexa. or you can load them on a usb stick and play them in kodi)

Update for the new Fire TV (the only one they sell now) lets sideloaded apps appear in the apps menu, even (though you won't get it in "recent" apps or voice integration, etc.).

I like the Fire TV too, though I'd still pick a Shield over it and pay the difference.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ixian posted:

Update for the new Fire TV (the only one they sell now) lets sideloaded apps appear in the apps menu, even (though you won't get it in "recent" apps or voice integration, etc.).

I like the Fire TV too, though I'd still pick a Shield over it and pay the difference.

The Shield's great hardware but you can get 2 Fire TVs for the price and it's plenty powerful enough for a streaming box (even powerful enough to emulate the Dreamcast and PSP)

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
My brother picked up the AmazonBasics 50 mile antenna and let me borrow it, and it picked up everything except for PBS. I"d like to get something for the attic that way I can send the signal all the TV's and maybe has a little bit more range to pick up PBS. Anyone have a recommendation for an attic antenna? I was looking at this one:
- GE 24792 Attic Mount Antenna

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

blk96gt posted:

My brother picked up the AmazonBasics 50 mile antenna and let me borrow it, and it picked up everything except for PBS. I"d like to get something for the attic that way I can send the signal all the TV's and maybe has a little bit more range to pick up PBS. Anyone have a recommendation for an attic antenna? I was looking at this one:

Those flat antennas in particular are really sensitive to placement. Sometimes even moving them a foot or two changes things dramatically.

Check your address on Antennaweb to see what your stations are and where the towers are located in relation to your house and try placing the antenna in a couple different spots before you go to the trouble of an attic antenna (do you already have cabling in place there?)

I use a Mohu leaf and after quite a bit of trial and error (having a TV nearby that has a half decent signal meter really, really helps) I was able to get everything in my area, including one station 40 miles away. It just took some fiddling.

Always go for the strongest signal you can get, even for stations that appear to come in well. They may not on rainy days. In fact if you are able test it on a rainy day, that will really show you what you have available.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

blk96gt posted:

Fill out all your info, be as accurate and specific as possible and they will recommend something for your exact situation based on your geographical location.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

Those flat antennas in particular are really sensitive to placement. Sometimes even moving them a foot or two changes things dramatically.

Check your address on Antennaweb to see what your stations are and where the towers are located in relation to your house and try placing the antenna in a couple different spots before you go to the trouble of an attic antenna (do you already have cabling in place there?)

I use a Mohu leaf and after quite a bit of trial and error (having a TV nearby that has a half decent signal meter really, really helps) I was able to get everything in my area, including one station 40 miles away. It just took some fiddling.

Always go for the strongest signal you can get, even for stations that appear to come in well. They may not on rainy days. In fact if you are able test it on a rainy day, that will really show you what you have available.

Wiring from the attic is simple in my case. I already have conduit ran from the attic to the main hub where all my cable/ethernet wires terminate, so that's why I would prefer to have an attic installation. I plan on eventually getting an HDHomerun, so having the main antenna line terminate where my hub is is perfect. The wife would also not be happy with the antenna being in full view in the house.

As luck would have it it was storming pretty bad last night and I was able to pick up all the channels I cared about (plus a bunch more) with a clear signal except for PBS. I will try again this afternoon now that the weather's cleared up.

Don Lapre posted:

I'm going to try to research a bit more first, but I may give this a try later. Thanks for the link.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Well I tried this and was pretty disappointed with their response. I put a note in there that I had tried the AmazonBasics antenna and it worked fine while storming except for PBS, but their response was that an indoor antenna wouldn't work and they would not recommend an attic mounted antenna either.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

blk96gt posted:

Well I tried this and was pretty disappointed with their response. I put a note in there that I had tried the AmazonBasics antenna and it worked fine while storming except for PBS, but their response was that an indoor antenna wouldn't work and they would not recommend an attic mounted antenna either.

Well one antenna going to one tv over 10ft of cable is a lot different then an antenna over a much longer cable feeding multiple sets.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Something like this wouldn't solve that issue?
http://www.amazon.com/Bi-Directional-Amplifier-Splitter-Booster-Passive/dp/B000WDR94U

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

blk96gt posted:

How far is the PBS transmitter from your house and is it VHF or UHF? Antenna Web will tell you.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
39 miles, same as all the others. PBS is VHF. I pick up all the other VHF and UHF signals fine. I am going to try it again this evening when I get home and see if maybe it was just the rain last night. Will also try it in the attic to see if it actually works.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

blk96gt posted:

39 miles, same as all the others. PBS is VHF. I pick up all the other VHF and UHF signals fine. I am going to try it again this evening when I get home and see if maybe it was just the rain last night. Will also try it in the attic to see if it actually works.

Without getting in to the weeds - in particular for "flat" or "leaf" antennas, VHF is harder to get, especially on lower channels like 2 through 6. VHF is also more sensitive to direction. 39 miles is definitely pushing it for VHF and that kind of antenna. If you are on the other side of the house from the antenna or have a hill/lot of trees in the way you will probably have issues.

Even if you get other VHF channels from the same tower frequency plays a big role - is PBS on a lower channel?

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
It's channel 8, the next lowest VHF is 11, which seemed to pick up fine. Thinking on it I shouldn't care that I don't pick it up since it's my kid that mainly watches PBS, and there's a PBS kid app that has all the shows on it for Android TV.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

The PBS station might say it is channel 8, but it really could be a different channel that has been mapped to channel 8. Like the ABC affiliate here is channel 24, but they are actually channel 9. It causes tons of people to have issues with that one channel when every other station in our market is in the UHF range.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
If the channel is in the 54 to 88MHz range (as Diremonk says it may be mapped differently than it appears on your TV) then that low of a band will be very hard to get with a leaf-type antenna at a the 39 mile range.

You might want to check around the dial, so to speak, to see if it is rebroadcast on some other channel. For example, I can't get the "official" Univision station for my area (v-channel 62, but actually on channel 6) because it is 50 miles from my house and VHF. However it is also rebroadcast on a UHF subchannel (31.2) - in HD, same content, that I get just fine. It wasn't immediately obvious because for whatever reason the subchannel isn't called out as Univision in most online antenna guides for my area, I had to check around.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
So I decided to cut the cord today, and I'm testing out how this would work. I have an older TV with only 1 HDMI port, which I use to connect to my receiver. I connected my cheap antenna to the TV and it works decently enough, but there's no sound. Basically, what I need is some type of antenna that can connect to the RF on the TV and then have an HDMI output so I can connect to the receiver. Would something like this do the trick?

http://www.amazon.com/HomeWorx-HW18...hdtv+tuner+hdmi

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

coronaball posted:

So I decided to cut the cord today, and I'm testing out how this would work. I have an older TV with only 1 HDMI port, which I use to connect to my receiver. I connected my cheap antenna to the TV and it works decently enough, but there's no sound. Basically, what I need is some type of antenna that can connect to the RF on the TV and then have an HDMI output so I can connect to the receiver. Would something like this do the trick?

http://www.amazon.com/HomeWorx-HW18...hdtv+tuner+hdmi

Your tv probably has an audio out. run that to your receiver.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
http://www.cnet.com/products/magnavox-tbhp500-series-dvr/

Expensive, but interesting. Magnavox OTA DVR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

diremonk posted:

The PBS station might say it is channel 8, but it really could be a different channel that has been mapped to channel 8. Like the ABC affiliate here is channel 24, but they are actually channel 9. It causes tons of people to have issues with that one channel when every other station in our market is in the UHF range.

Ixian posted:

If the channel is in the 54 to 88MHz range (as Diremonk says it may be mapped differently than it appears on your TV) then that low of a band will be very hard to get with a leaf-type antenna at a the 39 mile range.

You might want to check around the dial, so to speak, to see if it is rebroadcast on some other channel. For example, I can't get the "official" Univision station for my area (v-channel 62, but actually on channel 6) because it is 50 miles from my house and VHF. However it is also rebroadcast on a UHF subchannel (31.2) - in HD, same content, that I get just fine. It wasn't immediately obvious because for whatever reason the subchannel isn't called out as Univision in most online antenna guides for my area, I had to check around.

I had been trying the antenna in our bedroom, and moved it into the living room yesterday to see how it did. I got 100+ channels in there (compared to ~60 in the bedroom), including PBS, but reception was spotty for PBS. I don't really care for the location it's at now, so tonight I will try it in the attic and see what it does when going from there to the TV downstairs. I am still planning to pick up some sort of attic antenna. Does anyone in here have an attic mount antenna? I'm really just looking for opinions on quality, not necessarily reception. Again, if the little leaf antenna works fine, I don't see why an attic mounted 60-mile range one with an amplifier won't do as well, if not better, than a leaf version. These are the ones I'm looking at now:

- ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna
- Channel Master CM-4228HD High VHF, UHF
- Mohu Sky 60 Amplified Attic/Outdoor HDTV Antenna