Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Hell, even then, does anyone think Luke's decision to go save his friends is the wrong one in ESB? I always read it as Yoda still being cynical in wanting Luke to abandon his friends to eventually win in the long term.

I actually do. Luke doesn't affect the outcome of the situation at all, gets wrecked physically and psychologically, has flirtations with the dark side, and almost dies.

From the standpoint of having a movie, it's the right one of course because it's far more entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But if Luke never had that confrontation with Vader and learned the truth at that precise point, he may never have been able to save Anakin later on. The truth coming out at some other point may have led to even worse consequences.

OT Yoda has great insight into the mechanical, technical specifications of the Force, but he's still as bad at applying it in practical, complex, realistic situations as he was in the prequels. Total detachment, hardcore asceticism, does not help anyone. True enlightenment is being able to face the world's problems without breaking, not ignoring personal issues and thinking "Hey that poo poo doesn't affect me because I'm hiding in a swamp, boy am I doing a good job at this Jedi thing."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Soggy Cereal posted:

I actually do. Luke doesn't affect the outcome of the situation at all, gets wrecked physically and psychologically, has flirtations with the dark side, and almost dies.

From the standpoint of having a movie, it's the right one of course because it's far more entertaining.

It's the right thing in narrative terms because his attachment to people and his love for others pays off in him redeeming Darth Vader in the third movie. It's the right thing in moral terms because asceticism is always wrong in America/to Americans--Yoda's right, but nobody making or watching the movie would approve of Luke listening to him.

Now start talking about that new Star War drat it!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jack Gladney posted:

It's the right thing in narrative terms because his attachment to people and his love for others pays off in him redeeming Darth Vader in the third movie. It's the right thing in moral terms because asceticism is always wrong in America/to Americans--Yoda's right, but nobody making or watching the movie would approve of Luke listening to him.

Now start talking about that new Star War drat it!

Eh, it's okay.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Guy A. Person posted:

One of my favorite RLM moments is when he is exasperated because Yoda in ESB says "weapons not make one great" while Obi Wan says "this lightsaber is your life" in AotC.
:doh: Between this and the Obi-Wan thing, the more I read about the RLM videos, the more the decision not to watch them seems like a good idea.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Frackie Robinson posted:

Eh, it's okay.

Why is Greg Gruenberg so fat? Why?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The following spoiler is about Han Solo and Kylo Ren and is from TFA.

Did "Ben" live with Han for very long? Do we know? He probably was fairly close to Chewbacca too, I imagine? That would be sad for Kylo if his once upon a time Uncle Teddybear shot a hole in his liver.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lonely Chewbacca is the saddest thing.

Also the main character super-looks like Hugo Weaving when her hair's not in the frame.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

:doh: Between this and the Obi-Wan thing, the more I read about the RLM videos, the more the decision not to watch them seems like a good idea.

They're not terrible, they make some good observations and make a solid effort at being entertaining, but they are overly long and nit-picky as all hell. If anything its good to see where a lot of the more esoteric complaints about the prequels came from. There was definitely a time when I enjoyed them immensely but they definitely side entirely with the idea that anything that seems inconsistent or dumb to them is a mistake by the filmmakers.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMXOg-APbGc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RLM videos are even better if you hate the prequels. Because you will laugh more. And laughing is amazing.

Also, George Lucas is weird and Im glad he has poo poo all to do with Star Wars any more.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

But if Luke never had that confrontation with Vader and learned the truth at that precise point, he may never have been able to save Anakin later on. The truth coming out at some other point may have led to even worse consequences.

OT Yoda has great insight into the mechanical, technical specifications of the Force, but he's still as bad at applying it in practical, complex, realistic situations as he was in the prequels. Total detachment, hardcore asceticism, does not help anyone. True enlightenment is being able to face the world's problems without breaking, not ignoring personal issues and thinking "Hey that poo poo doesn't affect me because I'm hiding in a swamp, boy am I doing a good job at this Jedi thing."

I wouldn't say as bad, but I agree that Luke ends up being the hope of the Jedi because he rejects a lot of the orthodoxy his teachers represent.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Luke's Force Theme and Rey's Theme together.

Beeez posted:

I wouldn't say as bad, but I agree that Luke ends up being the hope of the Jedi because he rejects a lot of the orthodoxy his teachers represent.
The thing that gets me is that they apparently sensed a lot of fear and anger in young Anakin, but their gut instinct go-to response to that was to just send this fear and anger, y'know, away from wherever they were. Like...yes, Yoda, the problem does go away if we decide not to deal with the problem. :v: Ya sure are super right about that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The question of whether the Jedi are evil isn't that important compared to their differing interpretations of how God works.

For example: all the Jedi believe in the 'chosen one' prophecy; Jedi-ism is a messianic religion. However, Quigon is the only one who endeavors to make the prophecy come true. Yoda and the others are concerned with maintaining the status quo:

Yoda: The Chosen One, the boy may be. Nevertheless, grave danger, I fear in his training.

This is Yoda literally admitting that this kid might be Jesus Christ but nonetheless rejecting him - because Jedi indoctrination techniques tend to cause older kids to bug out. Yoda knows that all too well, because he's been in charge of that department for decades. And he's not wrong: Anakin is old enough to have vivid memories of of his mother/Padme, which are ultimately the source of his authoritarian streak.

Quigon, of course, doesn't care about any of that. He's a full-on fundamentalist who believes the existence of God can be scientifically proven. He believes he's directly enacting God's will - and, therefore, he deliberately manipulates the dice in order to take Anakin from his mother and make him into a warrior. Consequences be damned.

And Quigon is also not wrong either, in a sense - because tearing Anakin from his mother is precisely what caused him to eventually become Vader. The 'Chosen One' prophecy was self-fulfilling.

Obiwan's inconsistent/hypocritical behaviour stems from the fact that he was taught by both Yoda and Quigon. Now he's trying to reconcile their contradictory lessons.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

Luke's Force Theme and Rey's Theme together.
The thing that gets me is that they apparently sensed a lot of fear and anger in young Anakin, but their gut instinct go-to response to that was to just send this fear and anger, y'know, away from wherever they were. Like...yes, Yoda, the problem does go away if we decide not to deal with the problem. :v: Ya sure are super right about that.

That's "The Force Theme" which is not necessarily Luke's Theme but does play when he's watching the binary sunset in IV.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

The Jedi of the prequels are definitely supposed to be good guys but increasingly misguided. In episode 1 they stand by while slavery happens because it's out of their jurisdiction (while Qui-Gon pulls a bunch of shady poo poo to get his way with Watto) they train Anakin despite weird feelings because of their Hubris. In the next episode they've slipped further down the moral slope by using a clone army.

One of my favorite RLM moments is when he is exasperated because Yoda in ESB says "weapons not make one great" while Obi Wan says "this lightsaber is your life" in AotC. He reverses the logic though: Yoda has learned from the fall of the Jedi and now knows that sword fighting mother fuckers and waging wars isn't the path to greatness. He has learned through painful personal experience to become the wise Yoda we know.

Hell, even then, does anyone think Luke's decision to go save his friends is the wrong one in ESB? I always read it as Yoda still being cynical in wanting Luke to abandon his friends to eventually win in the long term.

Episode I has:
- Qui-gon Jinn call "these Trade Federation types" (Neimodians) cowards
- Jinn and Obi-wan denigrate Jar Jar multiple times
- Obi-wan worries about bringing "another pathetic life form" on board
- Both refer to Darth Maul as an "it."
- Harangue Anakin for worrying about his mother because fear of loss is bad, yet do nothing to ensure her safety and ease his mind.
- Dismiss the notion that the Sith could possibly be back because they would know.

Episode II has:
- Windu and Yoda talk about how they have to conceal from the Senate their diminished ability to see with the Force
- "We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers" *cue Jedi charging into battle*
- Launch an aggressive war using cloned slaves
- Fail to figure out why a star system is missing or worry very much at all about the clones

Episode III has:
- The Jedi launching a coup against a democratically elected leader in order to protect the Jedi Order
- Mace Windu attempts to extrajudicially execute Sheev because he's "too dangerous to be left alive"
- Enlist Anakin to spy on Sheev, while also denying him a place on the Council for political reasons

There are other things I've probably left out, but they're not unambiguously the good guys at all. They mean well but they definitely come off as out of touch.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"From my point of view the Jedi are evil!"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

KaptainKrunk posted:

There are other things I've probably left out, but they're not unambiguously the good guys at all. They mean well but they definitely come off as out of touch.

Yeah, very good points. I guess just because they are Obi Wan and Yoda and the Jedi and they are ultimately the ones trying to protect princesses and "pathetic life forms" (even if they show disdain for them) I put them in the "good guy" bin. But they do start out elitist and out of touch.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah, very good points. I guess just because they are Obi Wan and Yoda and the Jedi and they are ultimately the ones trying to protect princesses and "pathetic life forms" (even if they show disdain for them) I put them in the "good guy" bin. But they do start out elitist and out of touch.
This is a pretty bad argument against "George Lucas wrote the Jedi in the prequels to be emblematic of his ideals."

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

NecroMonster posted:

I like how Qui-gon, who is a bit of an idiot and less than great person, is the first guy to "discover" force ghosts.

This is just yet another of the stupid loving additions that George never really quite thought out the consequences of. Before this revelation, we all got to enjoy the idea that anyone who is a good person at heart and force sensitive well get to live on in a kind of afterlife, as a part of the force. But no, turns out that for tens of thousands of years all of the Jedi who ever died went to oblivion forever and it was just Qui Gonn who happened to figure out this SUPER IMPORTANT key thing, just in time for Obi Wan to be able to learn it so he can help out Luke 30 years later!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

berserker posted:

This is just yet another of the stupid loving additions that George never really quite thought out the consequences of. Before this revelation, we all got to enjoy the idea that anyone who is a good person at heart and force sensitive well get to live on in a kind of afterlife, as a part of the force. But no, turns out that for tens of thousands of years all of the Jedi who ever died went to oblivion forever and it was just Qui Gonn who happened to figure out this SUPER IMPORTANT key thing, just in time for Obi Wan to be able to learn it so he can help out Luke 30 years later!

I take it you're not an atheist.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

Lonely Chewbacca is the saddest thing.

How about hot manga Chewbacca?

berserker posted:

I took it as other Jedis before this had no way to communicate with the living after death, not that they are gone forever.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

But hey, at least now we know that you don't need to be an all around great person or even "redeemed" as one in order to become a force ghost, meaning there is room for force ghosts to be used for story purposes other than... whispering to people and appearing as partially see through old men

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NecroMonster posted:

But hey, at least now we know that you don't need to be an all around great person or even "redeemed" as one in order to become a force ghost, meaning there is room for force ghosts to be used for story purposes other than... whispering to people and appearing as partially see through old men

Well, we knew that when Yoda became a force ghost.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Look, just because he's a weird alien doesn't mean he isn't a Person.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RBA Starblade posted:

Red hat alien and peg leg alien were pretty cool, I can't wait for the two dozen books of backstory they somehow get.

Jokes on you, they already had a book. They're just making a cameo on TFA.

I wanna read this one based just on the title. I just hope its as cheesily pulpy as the title suggests. :allears:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Jokes on you, they already had a book. They're just making a cameo on TFA.

I wanna read this one based just on the title. I just hope its as cheesily pulpy as the title suggests. :allears:

It sure as hell is!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sidon_Ithano

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

This screenplay is a masterpiece. Not kidding.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

computer parts posted:

I take it you're not an atheist.

God is totally dead dude

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

The MSJ posted:

How about hot manga Chewbacca?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BrianWilly posted:

This screenplay is a masterpiece. Not kidding.

Where can I read it?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'll admit that I don't read many movie scripts but "(you son-of-a-bitch)" is a great parenthetical. Also "Ren heads off. Hux hates him." :allears:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Sorry, don't actually know where you can get the whole thing. I've been reading snippets on Tumblr, my seat of power.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

CelticPredator posted:

Where can I read it?

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

It lines up so drat well with the Emo Kylo Ren twitter.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
The jedi are definitely the good guys. Their sole purpose being fighting the Sith. When there are no more Sith to fight they get shoehorned into some sort of government agency/peacekeeping role, to which they are ill-suited. Having no Sith to fight and their ambiguity of their role in the universe weakens and dulls their powers leaving them woefully unprepared when Palpatine rises to power. They place all their hope in anakin because they literally have no other choice. That is the tragic story of the jedi

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I want to get back to diner-chat.

Diners were in fact adapted from dining-car technology - the cars that would feed people on long haul trains could be parked and used to cook just as well from a stable position. They were easy to make and pre-fabricated. But modern day diners exist and are widespread, both in the form of garbage chains like IHOP and Denny's, and a robust culture of Greek immigrants slinging you a wide range of hash with table service, free coffee refills, and moderate prices throughout the Northeastern US.

A diner is the exact kind of place where a cop would go, and Obi-Wan is clearly, in Ep II, presented as Jedi Cop.

Get out of here with your anti-diner agenda in the Star Wars thread!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The real question is why wouldn't there be a diner in Star Wars?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
People (and aliens) gotta eat. They also have to pee and poop.

Perhaps we'll finally see a bathroom in Episode VIII or IX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In Episode II, when Obi-Wan and Anakin go into that Coruscant nightclub/sports bar, there's a monitor in the background depicting a football being hiked to a robot quarterback. I want to know more about Galactic Football in the Star Wars universe.

• Locked thread