Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Dumb gzdoom question: does anyone have any idea why the first instance of light/fire particles in any map reduces my framerate to like, five frames per second? This only happens the very first time I make something explode, every subsequent particle effect runs perfectly normally.

By any chance are you using HQ4X or some other texture resizer? Especially at 4x resolution, they require insatiable amounts of VRAM and processing time and can only process graphics called for rendering.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Are you using some fancy particle effect replacer? That there's no further slowdown shows that the particles don't cause any problem by themselves once they're in cache, but accessing them in the first place does.

I'm not!

Rocket Pan posted:

By any chance are you using HQ4X or some other texture resizer? Especially at 4x resolution, they require insatiable amounts of VRAM and processing time and can only process graphics called for rendering.

I am!

I had another Google and it looks like the issue was caused by applying HQ4X to sprites instead of just textures. Disabling it for sprites solves the issue. Thanks!

e; Guncaster's guns are very dumb and very fun. What are some other fun arsenal replacement mods?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 7, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

e; Guncaster's guns are very dumb and very fun. What are some other fun arsenal replacement mods?

DoomRLArsenal, Demonsteele, Aeons of Death

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Russian Overkill

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
These are all good. So is Project MSX and Psychic.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Don't play Aeons of Death, it's janky and ugly and a thematic mess.

Try:

Diaz v3
Nazis! v2
Accessories to Murder
The Trailblazer
Modes of Destruction (:toot:)
Xaser and Eriance's Eriguns mods

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Aeons of Death isn't meant to be thematic. It's meant to be a hilarious clusterfuck and it does that quite well.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Also, Necrodoom, Doomstorm and Contra Doom, although not sure if they're still in weapon replacement territory as those change gameplay in order to simulate another game.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Woolie Wool posted:

Try:

Diaz v3
Nazis! v2
Accessories to Murder
The Trailblazer
Modes of Destruction (:toot:)
Xaser and Eriance's Eriguns mods

Zero Tolerance is p cool too

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

There was a mod I played a long time ago called Satanic that I remember being kinda cool with this neat grayscale effect,l and some sort of spellcasting and gunplay, but it was hard af. Might be worth looking into?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The new issue of Game Informer has a lengthy article about Doom 4. I'm unsure about the rules re: magazine scans here, so I'll just give a brief summary:

• There's a "weapons mod" system that lets you swap between "sub-weapons" of a sort on the fly using the D-Pad on controllers. Weapon mods include a remote detonator for the rocket launcher, and a micro-missile alt-fire for the assault rifle. Mods are found in the world by collecting delivery drones.
  • The Chainsaw is powered by fuel cells, which you spend to instant-kill enemies - the bigger they are, the more cells needed. Since this counts as a "glory kill", it showers you in health and ammo, adding a risk/reward for saving up cells and getting up close enough to a big monster to press the gently caress You Button.
  • The Chainsaw and BFG, due to their "special circumstances" usage, aren't on the weapon wheel, and have dedicated select buttons on the controller.
  • There are "gore nests", fleshy portals that trigger a monster horde spawning in when you shut them down.
  • There's a plot, but it takes a backseat to the gameplay - it's mostly told through the environment and the occasional audio/video log that you can find in the calm after fights.
  • Secrets and coloured keycards are back, encouraging players to backtrack to those suspiciously locked doors they passed earlier to get equipment and upgrades they normally wouldn't find until later.
  • Oh yeah, there's a player upgrade system. Argent Cells, found in white chests, boost your max health, armor or ammo. Enhancement Tokens found on the corpses of elite guards improve general abilities like agility. And Runes are basically skills/perks that you can always respec with no penalty.
  • Examples of Rune skills include a "saving throw" that triggers slow-mo when you drop below 25% health, and a stackable temporary speed boost upon performing a glory kill (gottagofast!)
  • New multiplayer content mentioned includes a new demon powerup (Baron of Hell!), new game mode (Warpath... basically Domination with loadouts), "Hack Module" loadout items that increase your awareness (for example, highlighting the closest powerup for a couple of minutes), and good old Clan Arena mode.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Aeons of Death is loving stupid in the best way possible. As long as you don't take it seriously (and maybe ditch sobriety while playing), it's a clusterfuck of goofy fun.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Whoa whoa whoa, there's a Doom mod called Golden Souls that's basically Mario 64-themed? Goddamn that's cool. Was trawling youtube for a walkthrough and found it.

Outside of Pirates, Batman, Aliens, Army of Darkness, the unfinished Ghostbusters mod, and a scattered amount of Star Wars mods am I missing any other licensed property mods that cross over with Doom?

I'm a sucker for TCs that convert another property into Doom somehow.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Bizzarly, no ones done a warhammer 40k mod, which seems like a no brainer to me.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
If I'm mainly interested in single-player, should I go with GZDoom over Zandronum?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you're playing by yourself you can use whatever you want. Zandronum works better on lovely/old/AMD computers though, since it has an older OpenGL renderer. GZDoom has more pretty effect support and if you download the SVN versions you can use more fancy mods.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Narcissus1916 posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, there's a Doom mod called Golden Souls that's basically Mario 64-themed? Goddamn that's cool. Was trawling youtube for a walkthrough and found it.

Outside of Pirates, Batman, Aliens, Army of Darkness, the unfinished Ghostbusters mod, and a scattered amount of Star Wars mods am I missing any other licensed property mods that cross over with Doom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBRoneC4dvc

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

The Kins posted:

The new issue of Game Informer has a lengthy article about Doom 4. I'm unsure about the rules re: magazine scans here, so I'll just give a brief summary:

• There's a "weapons mod" system that lets you swap between "sub-weapons" of a sort on the fly using the D-Pad on controllers. Weapon mods include a remote detonator for the rocket launcher, and a micro-missile alt-fire for the assault rifle. Mods are found in the world by collecting delivery drones.
  • The Chainsaw is powered by fuel cells, which you spend to instant-kill enemies - the bigger they are, the more cells needed. Since this counts as a "glory kill", it showers you in health and ammo, adding a risk/reward for saving up cells and getting up close enough to a big monster to press the gently caress You Button.
  • The Chainsaw and BFG, due to their "special circumstances" usage, aren't on the weapon wheel, and have dedicated select buttons on the controller.
  • There are "gore nests", fleshy portals that trigger a monster horde spawning in when you shut them down.
  • There's a plot, but it takes a backseat to the gameplay - it's mostly told through the environment and the occasional audio/video log that you can find in the calm after fights.
  • Secrets and coloured keycards are back, encouraging players to backtrack to those suspiciously locked doors they passed earlier to get equipment and upgrades they normally wouldn't find until later.
  • Oh yeah, there's a player upgrade system. Argent Cells, found in white chests, boost your max health, armor or ammo. Enhancement Tokens found on the corpses of elite guards improve general abilities like agility. And Runes are basically skills/perks that you can always respec with no penalty.
  • Examples of Rune skills include a "saving throw" that triggers slow-mo when you drop below 25% health, and a stackable temporary speed boost upon performing a glory kill (gottagofast!)
  • New multiplayer content mentioned includes a new demon powerup (Baron of Hell!), new game mode (Warpath... basically Domination with loadouts), "Hack Module" loadout items that increase your awareness (for example, highlighting the closest powerup for a couple of minutes), and good old Clan Arena mode.

I wonder if the inclusion of the subweapons/upgrades/keys will mean that levels will be oriented towards open-exploration instead of being a series of setpieces strung together by linear corridors. Either way it looks like id's at least making a token effort towards making Doom a different experience compared to most AAA FPS titles.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Kins posted:

Secrets and coloured keycards are back, encouraging players to backtrack to those suspiciously locked doors they passed earlier to get equipment and upgrades they normally wouldn't find until later.
So keycards have been relegated to unlocking optional goodie rooms, like the ones you use lockpicks for in Bioshock Infinite? I guess that's to be expected.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Finding keycards hidden in some dumb part of a maze is the worst part of Doom, don't act like you liked it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I was always under the impression that the point (or maybe the defense) of key-cards was that they contributed to non-linear level design.

This isn't totally related to keycards, but one of the things I noticed while playing through Duke 3D a while back is that a lot of the levels 'loop' back to earlier parts of the level. Like in E1M1 of Duke, as you work your way through the movie theater, the walls explode, and they lead back to the lower floors of the theater (Not to mention that the level exit is above the alleyway where you enter). There are a few other levels where the same thing happens. I thought that was an interesting way to design levels (though I wonder if it was done because some of the levels were intended for deathmatch).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 7, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Alright, thanks for all the recs. I guess it's time I checked out DoomRLArsenal, too, since I've been meaning to for a while.

dis astranagant posted:

Aeons of Death isn't meant to be thematic. It's meant to be a hilarious clusterfuck and it does that quite well.

Yeah, I don't care about balance in this case. My only two requirements are a) pretty gun sprites and b) ludicrous/fun guns. I wish Guncaster's Longhorn and Demonsteele's Charon were in vanilla Doom. :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A guy on Tumblr called "duke3dmaps" linked me to a goldmine. Here's a couple of snippets from it:

TRAILER!ZONE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ZiXCTDIAw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thkD5yUmdXI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKyqGBnMZH4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82DKY3pdfZU

Half-Life was an unfortunate mess until like six months before release. Here's a glimpse of some of its less glorious moments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wavn29LMrs

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
haha, those ancient wizardworks trailers are really a doozy.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

DoomRLArsenal, Demonsteele, Aeons of Death

I'm currently using DoomRLA + Oblige randomly generated episodes to do a daily ironman challenge. It's loving great fun and every run has ended with a "oh gently caress" moment where I've stupidly gotten myself killed or died to a new enemy I didn't treat with enough respect or just wasn't cautious enough.

The challenge at the moment is making sure a successful run is under an hour but also providing enough difficult that a success is rare.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

DoomRLA works really well with some carefully tweaked Oblige settings, which makes sense since it's designed after a rogue-like.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

DoomRLA works really well with some carefully tweaked Oblige settings, which makes sense since it's designed after a rogue-like.
Got suggestions for Oblige settings for DoomRLA?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah. The main frustration is the crafting basically requires me to have the wiki open at all times. I think hiding the information behind recipes you pick up ingame doesn't really work for this and I'd love a cheat code that unlocks them all so I don't need to keep checking an external source.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

This is what I got right now for my tastes, it'll spit out 12 maps that get bigger as you go farther with the size/length settings I have picked out.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I found that Episodic/Progressive size quickly became a slog. I can't imagine how much more of a slog it'll be with More & Harder monsters!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I set mine like that because I feel that with DoomRLA I get really overpowered too quickly with the default monster settings .:shrug:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If you want to have some better weapon variety, for whatever reason chainguns on the map have a much higher chance of getting promoted to superior and unique weapons. Fully 1 in 7 of them become random superior weapons so turn them up if you want to check those out.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

I set mine like that because I feel that with DoomRLA I get really overpowered too quickly with the default monster settings .:shrug:

If you get something like the Nuclear BFG while playing demo then it certainly feels that way. Didn't stop me dying though!

In all honesty I think it's just because I'm playing Ironman and trying to get a condensed experience every day (DoomRL is called a coffee break roguelike for a reason!) that I don't want the ever-increasing size of the episode. I've not yet successfully completed an episode without dying but it's only been a week. A few days ago I was 2 hours in and was getting seriously fatigued by it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Someone mentioned Contra Doom. I looked it up. Now I need it, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK3TI-HwKNo

Unless they REALLY fixed it up for the final release, this was terrible, and I love all things RE4/Mercenaries-related. (EDIT: Ok, well, after watching this video, it looks like a LOT has improved. When I played, there wasn't even an aiming reticle, which is necessary for a mod like this)

Max Wilco posted:

I was always under the impression that the point (or maybe the defense) of key-cards was that they contributed to non-linear level design.

This isn't totally related to keycards, but one of the things I noticed while playing through Duke 3D a while back is that a lot of the levels 'loop' back to earlier parts of the level. Like in E1M1 of Duke, as you work your way through the movie theater, the walls explode, and they lead back to the lower floors of the theater (Not to mention that the level exit is above the alleyway where you enter). There are a few other levels where the same thing happens. I thought that was an interesting way to design levels (though I wonder if it was done because some of the levels were intended for deathmatch).

I have to say that Duke's E1M1 is one of my favourite all-time FPS levels ever period. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 7, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Narcissus1916 posted:

There's a ton of stuff involving Terminators/Predators but I'm not sure there's really a go-to mod for it. The sprite work isn't worse than something like Army of Darkness but there was never a proper TC for it, just gameplay mods back in the Dehacked days.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Someone mentioned Contra Doom. I looked it up. Now I need it, thanks.
Have you played the original Action Doom by Scuba Steve? It's heavily Metal Slug/Contra inspired. It even has branching level progression, although not as much as Action Doom 2.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

david_a posted:

Have you played the original Action Doom by Scuba Steve? It's heavily Metal Slug/Contra inspired. It even has branching level progression, although not as much as Action Doom 2.

This is why I love this goddamned thread :toot: Going to check out Action Doom 2 some time this week, thanks!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

Finding keycards hidden in some dumb part of a maze is the worst part of Doom, don't act like you liked it.

Not if the level designer was competent (i.e. not Sandy Petersen). The sprawling interconnected layouts pioneered by Romero are a pretty essential part of what makes Doom Doom.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm playing with Oblige + DoomRLA... and realizing that Oblige is a better level designer than I am. :(

Sobering thought.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is why I love this goddamned thread :toot: Going to check out Action Doom 2 some time this week, thanks!
Just to be clear, Action Doom is basically Metal Slug Doom. Action Doom 2 is a stand-alone game that happens to use ZDoom. It's more influenced by side-scrolling beat-em-ups. You should play both, but they're fairly different (I don't remember the stories even being related).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I'm having some trouble with the Going Down map Demonology. I can't figure out how to get the skull in the bedroom. I've triggered all the others and killed everything, so I've been reduced to blindly running around humping the walls to no avail. Even watching this playthrough on Youtube doesn't make it obvious what triggers the wall to open.