Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Indolent Bastard posted:

Nice job on the paint, but man-oh-man that thing looks spindly.

Just CA glue (and the magnets) is holding it together well enough, the waist section is pretty narrow because it's the same diameter ball socket as the normal, shorter Knight, but it works OK. If I do another one I'll definitely use a larger magnet, like an 8mm or 10mm, right now two 6x3mm magnets (what I use on normal Knights and the elbow connections) work OK.

Also, I did a review of the Horus Heresy Model Masterclass Volume One book that was just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKNqrcCgQKc

It's long, but thorough, and if you don't have the time I give you the gist in the first minute or so (it's worth the money but could have been better).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh that's good to hear, but what online places have it? I looked at MM, CSI, and CMON. I'd much rather order from my LGS because eBay seems to have done it's dumb ~vintage~ thing with OOP collectibles and is asking from retail-$15/mini after shipping.

And yeah it's odd to see the more numerous SF minis lines done in anime style like relic knights or infinity but hardly any for fantasy. I think some of kingdom death's minis have a similar style but the only good minis done in that style is the flower knight and uhhhhhhh

Sadly 12-15 dollars a mini is about what they wen't for when the game was in production.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

So, some finished images.

Kingdom Death first;
The Hand

The Watcher

Guildball next - Bonesaw for the Morticians team.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
This has to be an OSHA violation

I'm magnetizing a big piece for easier storage. It's not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

crime fighting hog posted:

This has to be an OSHA violation

I'm magnetizing a big piece for easier storage. It's not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

Scary!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
That's a a good strategy if you want to magnetize your hand.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Update: I successfully drilled a hole large enough for a magnet without punching a hole through my palm.

Don't drill while drunk. I'm a professional.

WildFireHooligan
Nov 26, 2013

Lighters are interesting

dr_ether posted:

So, some finished images.

Kingdom Death first;
The Hand

The Watcher

Guildball next - Bonesaw for the Morticians team.

Oh man I'm in love with that watcher mini.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is a couple pages late (sorry, I'm just catching up) but there is an actual purpose-made cyanoacrylate remover product.

This is the one I use:

The label at the top bit can have a number of different brands where it says "parts express" but they're all called "Un-Cure". I keep a bottle near at hand whenever I'm using superglue, and it's wonderful for immediately debonding random desk detritus from my fingers, as well as softening the 20-year-old horrible poo poo glue attempts that are part and parcel of out-of-the-package eBay minis purchasing.

It will however also remove paint, but it's safe to use on plastic minis.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 7, 2016

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is it just diluted acetone or is it just something else?

Unrelated: Has anyone ever written a guide on using Kroma Crackle on minis? I bought a tube on the thread's suggestion, and while the results aren't bad, I feel like I'm misusing it a little... Or maybe just not using enough. It took like four days to dry, which is way more than the tube suggested...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

According to the MSDS, the active ingredient is Dimethylformamide. Do not huff it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have the same stuff. I'm pretty sure its just acetone.

I actually use it for weathering now as it melts plasticard and even the rubber mat that I cut minis on. Be careful with the stuff.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Those things are loving baller and I want to see more pictures of them.

Can I interest you in a Warden monstrosity???

I'm really happy with the super pale skin. Wish I could get a good pic that shows the highlighting and stuff, I'm pretty happy with how it looks irl.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Leperflesh posted:

According to the MSDS, the active ingredient is Dimethylformamide. Do not huff it.

You can't tell me what to do you're not my dad *huffs it, dies*

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I have the same stuff. I'm pretty sure its just acetone.

I actually use it for weathering now as it melts plasticard and even the rubber mat that I cut minis on. Be careful with the stuff.

I'm delighted you haven't edited your post after you saw mine, but yeah, no: it's not just acetone. But Wikipedia does say it invades and causes inflation in "most plastics" so do be careful with the stuff. I admit I've only used it for stripping superglue from metal miniatures, and de-bonding my own skin from random items.

Avenging Dentist posted:

You can't tell me what to do you're not my dad *huffs it, dies*
If you're the kind of guy who likes to look at MSDS data for random products (like me), you'd probably find this to be a remarkably benign substance, for a solvent. They're not even sure it's carcinogenic! Practically everything is carcinogenic. This stuff may irritate skin, and when used in industrial quantities (gallons sloshing everywhere) you're supposed to wear appropriate breathing apparatus. That is the sort of warning: danger level you'd find for, say, shampoo or something. Whatever you use to clean your toilets is probably a hundred times worse.

That said, don't huff it anyway, of course.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 7, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

Can I interest you in a Warden monstrosity???

I'm really happy with the super pale skin. Wish I could get a good pic that shows the highlighting and stuff, I'm pretty happy with how it looks irl.

Yes you can, that thing owns. I like the discoloration on the skin around the various plugs and what not, and those metallics look great.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Some of you may remember the Knight I was painting over the holidays.

Daddy?

I had far too much fun painting this dude. Sadly the varnish cracked a little (and somehow some white dust of some sort ended there between layers) but I'm overall quite happy with him.

He joins the rest of our Mechanicus army:

They were supposed to be a small force we could use as allies for our primary armies, but somehow THIS happened.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 7, 2016

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
That is some pretty amazing stuff right there.

Are you an assembly line painter with an airbrush?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

What can I use to glue acrylic without frosting it? I can't find acrylic cement anywhere and I'd prefer not to use white glue.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

dexefiend posted:

That is some pretty amazing stuff right there.

Are you an assembly line painter with an airbrush?

I don't even own an airbrush, that's all done oldschool with actual brushes!

Cat Face Joe posted:

What can I use to glue acrylic without frosting it? I can't find acrylic cement anywhere and I'd prefer not to use white glue.

I've used plain plastic glue to do mine - just use tiny amounts (the more you put in, the more it fumes and frosts the surface).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cat Face Joe posted:

What is the specific things being glued? I know I used to use something in shop class that bonded acrylic like plastic glue does and it wasn't CA. (fake edit: This is the stuff I used in shop class Acrylic Cement)

You can definitely use epoxy and it won't frost in you if you are gluing something other than acrylic to acrylic.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Cat Face Joe posted:

If its acrylic to acrylic you are going to want to weld it. I built a large acrylic terrariums with two different chemicals to weld the acrylic. The one I used most and is more fluid was called weldon-4. There is another I used that was a lot more viscous. I think I have more info on it on one of the blog posts I put up when I made the tanks: http://animaltree.org/article/sun-01082012-0000/continuing-work-acrylic-gecko-condo

edit: A little more info on the chemicals:

Moderately Fast-Setting Solvent Cement for Bonding Acrylic. WELD-ON 4 is a water-thin, somewhat flammable cement formulated to quickly develop very clear and high strength bonds for many thermoplastic substrates. The bond is achieved by first softening the surfaces to be joined and then fusing them together with the dissipation of the solvent. The initial bond forms within a matter of minutes and is followed by a significant and continual increase in bond strength over the next several hours. WELD-ON 4 may be preferred by some plastic fabricators because it is less likely to leave white marks (commonly called blushing). For similar applications but faster setting cement, WELD-ON 3 is recommended. Weld-On 4 Acrylic Adhesive water thin, somewhat flammable, moderately fast-setting, blush-resistant solvent cement for bonding acrylic. It will also bond with other thermoplastics such as polystyrene, CAB (cellulose acetate butyrate), and polycarbonate to themselves. Does not bond to cross-linked acrylics. SUBSTRATE RECOMMENDATIONS : WELD-ON 4 is formulated as a blush-resistant cement for bonding acrylic (poly-methyl methacrylate) to itself. It will also form strong bonds with other thermoplastics such as polystyrene, CAB (cellulose acetate butyrate), and polycarbonate to themselves. It is not recommended for cross-linked acrylic. SUGGESTED BONDING APPLICATIONS: WELD-ON 4 is used extensively in sign fabrication for cementing acrylic letters to fat acrylic presentation panels and trim-capping of cut out acrylic letters. Strong butt joints are made with fat sheets by using the soak method. WELD-ON 4 is also widely used in many applications e.g. fabrication of display and presentation cases, medical equipment assembly, the bonding of plastic containers and pre-forms, and in the manufacture of numerous solvent welded structures and subassemblies using the capillary method.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 7, 2016

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Indolent Bastard posted:

What is the specific things being glued? I know I used to use something in shop class that bonded acrylic like plastic glue does and it wasn't CA. (fake edit: This is the stuff I used in shop class Acrylic Cement)

You can definitely use epoxy and it won't frost in you if you are gluing something other than acrylic to acrylic.

Its these and these. I suppose I should clarify could buy the stuff online but I'm hoping for a more local solution.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

If its acrylic to acrylic you are going to want to weld it. I built a large acrylic terrariums with two different chemicals to weld the acrylic.

This sounds good but extreme for what I'm doing.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
What exactly are you doing? Because if it's one of those little round skimmer stands, white (PVA) glue might seem stupid but is more than good enough.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Cat Face Joe posted:

This sounds good but extreme for what I'm doing.

You said you didn't want it to fog, and that stuff will do that. If you just want it to bond then you have PVA and superglue on hand already I am sure.

http://www.amazon.com/Weld--Acrylic-Adhesive-Applicator-Bottle/dp/B0096TWKCW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452181501&sr=8-3&keywords=weldon-4

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

You said you didn't want it to fog, and that stuff will do that. If you just want it to bond then you have PVA and superglue on hand already I am sure.

http://www.amazon.com/Weld--Acrylic-Adhesive-Applicator-Bottle/dp/B0096TWKCW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452181501&sr=8-3&keywords=weldon-4

Yeah, I guess I was just hoping for that silver bullet. I'll probably just PVA it. Thanks, everyone.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Quick test in true metallics. Next up nmm. I get pretty bored doing true metallics, just not my jam.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 7, 2016

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Quick test in true metallics. Next up nmm. I get pretty bored doing true metallics, just not my jam.

Oldcrons are best 'crons.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Slimnoid posted:

:getout:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Slimnoid posted:

The best Necrons are Kukulkani cuz they're cybernetic space Mayans who ritually sacrifice their victims to fuel the technology of the giant immortal snake aliens they worship. :unsmigghh:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Naw he's right, old Necrons own.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
You know what?

NOW it's done. Added some scorch marks, bullet holes and other battle damage before lacquering it. Really happy with how it turned out - except for this loving white dust that seems to somehow end up in the final varnish coat -.-;

Edit: wHatever the hell those little white flakes are, they came right off when I gave 'em a little bit of a brushing with a drybrush. Whew. Got to try that with the Knight when I'm at the mancave next.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 8, 2016

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Winsor & Newton Series 7 Brush Gift Set Includes 4 Small Rounds only $17.50 with free shipping on Amazon. I have no idea why the price is so low.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00YEMI8ZY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Winsor & Newton Series 7 Brush Gift Set Includes 4 Small Rounds only $17.50 with free shipping on Amazon. I have no idea why the price is so low.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00YEMI8ZY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Thanks. I just bought two sets.

Edit: i sold like 6 more sets to my friends.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 8, 2016

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I don't know if this is related to why the price is so low, but there's a 3-4 month delay on delivery.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Drake_263 posted:

You know what?

NOW it's done. Added some scorch marks, bullet holes and other battle damage before lacquering it. Really happy with how it turned out - except for this loving white dust that seems to somehow end up in the final varnish coat -.-;

Edit: wHatever the hell those little white flakes are, they came right off when I gave 'em a little bit of a brushing with a drybrush. Whew. Got to try that with the Knight when I'm at the mancave next.

Well executed freehand will always look better than transfers imo. Looks great

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Hixson posted:

Well executed freehand will always look better than transfers imo. Looks great

Thank you! I might clean the side doors a bit. The black text is done with fine markers and despite trying to be careful it's smudged a bit.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

I don't know if this is related to why the price is so low, but there's a 3-4 month delay on delivery.

Mine is prime shipped, 2 days as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

There's got to be something wrong with these, but they got my 17.50 and several others in my community.