Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Vengarr posted:

Case 1 was great, Case 2 was kinda average.

Case 3 though, holy poo poo. I'm not finished yet but it's already one of my favorite in the series.

3 4 and 5 (so far) are very good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Kristoph's secret is that he knows he's a mediocre villain in a sub-par game.

It's true.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, there's Spark Brushel and pretty much everything he does.

"Wow gently caress I forgot Spark Brushel existed entirely, endquote

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"Ridiculous goon doesn't realize best character in game when he seems him", end quote.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Don't you dare

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Chieves posted:

"Ridiculous goon doesn't realize best character in game when he seems him", end quote.

Regy Rusty posted:

Don't you dare

I'm not saying Spark Brushel is a bad character.

I'm just saying that he has a face that only Zak Gramarye's fist could love.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'll allow it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is fair.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i am playing DD and while i did not like monstrous turnabout very much, i enjoyed turnabout academy if only for the characters of robin newman and aristotle means

these are my opinions thanks for reading

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I agree with those opinions. Robin owns. I know some people twist themselves into knots over the character but I think they're just missing the point entirely.

I am replaying Dual Destinies and just finished the DLC case, and god drat is that a good case. I really like every second of it, and Marlon's defeat makes me genuinely sad even when I know it's coming. It's also a nice change of pace to have a case where no one is a murderer after all, and it sure makes Marlon a lot more likeable than mr wheelchair assassin in 2-3.

"I'm still not strong enough... to save anyone" :cry:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Agreed that Robin is a cool character and that I honestly wouldn't mind any of Robin, Junpier or Hugh returning in AA6.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Turnabout Academy was a mediocre case mystery-wise, but the characters were all really fun which I think was the point. Box Girl's breakdown animation is still one of the best examples of how good a decision going to 3D was.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
Oh yeah, Miriam! She was like my favourite character in the whole game, and I just forgot about her. hosed up.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

mirian and robin were good and i wouldn't mind them returning. i don't remember much of hugh and juniper isn't that interesting imo. i also wouldn't mind jinxie returning as a very minor character to give trucy some friends outside the office

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Robin would still be the best even if she only made Blackquill lose his poo poo, but then she just continues to be awesome after that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Aw man I just remembered the best thing about replaying the ace attorney games

Text skip ♪

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I feel sorry for AA3 Larry. It's clear Cindy's death sent him in a long downward spiral.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Davincie posted:

mirian and robin were good and i wouldn't mind them returning. i don't remember much of hugh and juniper isn't that interesting imo. i also wouldn't mind jinxie returning as a very minor character to give trucy some friends outside the office

Hugh is great because he makes Blackquill just leave the court out of exasperation for his stupidity and also his body double testimony owns.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
5-3 pretty much sucked IMO, but i really hope the Law Teenz come back in 6, maybe as full-fledged legal professionals. Though, having everybody in the courtroom being highschool buddies would probably kill the tension a little.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Note to Self posted:

5-3 pretty much sucked IMO, but i really hope the Law Teenz come back in 6, maybe as full-fledged legal professionals. Though, having everybody in the courtroom being highschool buddies would probably kill the tension a little.

We've already got Debeste.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think with the game being split across two plots, we probably don't really have the time to spare for that many returning characters at once outside a cameo.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
AAI3: Gyakuten Babiez

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm on the final case of AA5 now and I still think it would've made more sense if the phantom was Candice Arme. Super spy killed by bumbling dirty cop while playing her role, and now you have to pick up the pieces and prove it.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm on the final case of AA5 now and I still think it would've made more sense if the phantom was Candice Arme. Super spy killed by bumbling dirty cop while playing her role, and now you have to pick up the pieces and prove it.

That Idea would be an interesting route for a case to go down, but I don't think the devs would go for it. Having a murderer who was already dead would deprive the player of having a final testimony battle with them, and do away with the most important parts of the series- the villain breakdowns.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

At least the villain we did get was great. Or at least I thought so. Especially because it made me hate their guts for killing a character we never actually meet.

Oh man, how hosed would it be if instead of Fulbright, the Phantom had been impersonating Nick the entire time instead? Of course, they'd never kill off Wright. I hope.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 7, 2016

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Butt Ghost posted:

At least the villain we did get was great. Or at least I thought so. Especially because it made me hate their guts for killing a character we never actually meet.

Oh man, how hosed would it be if instead of Fulbright, the Phantom had been impersonating Nick the entire time instead? Of course, they'd never kill off Wright. I hope.

Wasn't Fulbright the real Fulbright in all his appearances before the final case?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Opposing Farce posted:

Wasn't Fulbright the real Fulbright in all his appearances before the final case?

Nope, he was the phantom from the very beginning. They mention Fullbright's body being dead since before the first case

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Opposing Farce posted:

That woulda made more sense, but nope.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Someone was suggesting the exact same thing to me, but with Gumshoe instead. A thought almost too horrible to contemplate.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The final confrontation in AA5 would have been better if Apollo had been the attorney in charge, instead of Phoenix.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

The final confrontation in AA5 would have been better if Apollo had been the attorney in charge, instead of Phoenix.

:yeah:

With Edgeworth not even prosecuting Phoenix pretty much loses all personal connection to the case and Athena and Apollo have to carry all the weight. Which ends up working out fine because Apollo and Athena are both really great even just as assistants but it would have been way better if either of them were in charge for at least the last portion of that case.

I know it's not going to happen but I hope the last case of AA6 is focused on Apollo's side of the story.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

smenj posted:

Someone was suggesting the exact same thing to me, but with Gumshoe instead. A thought almost too horrible to contemplate.

They could have probably gone that route if Gumshoe had just been knocked out. You think he's dead, and then he busts out of some cupboard, mop in hand and ready to beat up the criminal. Personally, I really liked Fullbright, though.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I really liked Fullbright and over the course of the game had come to terms with him being the replacement for Gumshoe going forward, so I was really bummed out when it was revealed he was a fake.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lurdiak posted:

That woulda made more sense, but nope.

That would need to not be true for Case 4 as well, given how the last case is set up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Terper posted:

I dunno. I felt it was hella strong as both Phoenix's ultimate return to lawyering and the conclusion of his transformation into a true mentor character.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That would need to not be true for Case 4 as well, given how the last case is set up.

You know what we meant.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I now realize that the Ace Attorney anime has worth as another adaptation of the first game because there was a lot skipped over in the movie that we can now see animated, like Phoenix Wright desperately trying to relate to a 7 year old over the subject of tokusatsu.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno. I felt it was hella strong as both Phoenix's ultimate return to lawyering and the conclusion of his transformation into a true mentor character.

I think his transformation into a mentor character would have been more poignant if it had been just that: a mentor and adviser. Apollo had genuine reason to be in charge. The case was his from the beginning, it was against his best friend's murderer, the one who had pinned it on Athena, he had just gotten a "take off the bandages" power-charge, and it was a chance to redeem himself for the trouble he had caused. Instead it was Phoenix because... dark age of the law...? Okay that's not entirely fair, he's the dad who takes charge when his children need him, but it would have been way cooler to let Apollo "grow up". Like, instead of Fulbright putting on the Phoenix mask and having Phoenix go WHAAAAA because..., it would have been cooler for Phoenix to stand beside Apollo and say "Oh c'mon, don't be fooled by this. I'm your boss, right here beside you", while at the same time letting Apollo metaphorically "beat" Phoenix and form his own identity as a lawyer.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Terper posted:

I think his transformation into a mentor character would have been more poignant if it had been just that: a mentor and adviser. Apollo had genuine reason to be in charge. The case was his from the beginning, it was against his best friend's murderer, the one who had pinned it on Athena, he had just gotten a "take off the bandages" power-charge, and it was a chance to redeem himself for the trouble he had caused. Instead it was Phoenix because... dark age of the law...? Okay that's not entirely fair, he's the dad who takes charge when his children need him, but it would have been way cooler to let Apollo "grow up". Like, instead of Fulbright putting on the Phoenix mask and having Phoenix go WHAAAAA because..., it would have been cooler for Phoenix to stand beside Apollo and say "Oh c'mon, don't be fooled by this. I'm your boss, right here beside you", while at the same time letting Apollo metaphorically "beat" Phoenix and form his own identity as a lawyer.

But then you have to get the DLC to play as Phoenix for more than like half a case?

Yeah, I can see that going over real well.

I dunno, I liked the the only case that you really got to play as Phoenix was the one where the stakes were the the highest and the climax of the game. It really ups the ante on that case because you're finally bringing out the big guns so to speak, you know?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Counting the DLC, that would mean the first case would be 1/5 Athena and 4/5 Phoenix, Case 2 would be Apollo, Case DLC would be Phoenix, Case 3 would be Athena, Case 4 would be 1/3 Apollo 2/3 Phoenix, and Case 5 would be 2/3 Phoenix and 1/3 Apollo.

So not really at all, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Geniasis posted:

But then you have to get the DLC to play as Phoenix for more than like half a case?

Yeah, I can see that going over real well.

I dunno, I liked the the only case that you really got to play as Phoenix was the one where the stakes were the the highest and the climax of the game. It really ups the ante on that case because you're finally bringing out the big guns so to speak, you know?

He would've gotten two cases. All of case 1 and half of cases 4 and 5. Which would have been the same amount of time as Apollo would've had give or take a bit.

Anyway, replaying DD recently has made me realise that Phoenix's kids are all cooler than Phoenix himself and I want to play as them more. Not that Phoenix is bad or anything he's still great. It's just that he's complete. He's done everything he's needed to while the rookies still have opportunities to grow and stuff so I think they're more interesting as playable characters at this point in the franchise.

• Locked thread