Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

As I recall, Ludlam went over the reasons the Greens aren't pro-nuclear last year, and it was something along the lines of 'it's better than what we do have now, but it's not better than what we could have now'.

Oh yeah, I very thoroughly read that, and I personally have been against nuclear power for quite a while but it's good to see the greens (and green parties in general) being more "we're against nuclear power/gm because *reasons*" rather than "No nukes".

For example anyone lobbying to shut down or not replace the lucas heights reactor is an idiot because it is a vital and necessary supplier of short half life radio-medical treatment and diagnostic items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

hooman posted:

For example anyone lobbying to shut down or not replace the lucas heights reactor is an idiot because it is a vital and necessary supplier of short half life radio-medical treatment and diagnostic items.

I'm sure a few people have heard of it/seen it but a recent doco Twisting the dragon's tail gives a fairly good overview of Lucas Heights and the short term viability of nuclear medicine. Kind of makes the Greens leap of faith future technology argument look like the equivalent of 'clean coal'. A bit lame to be honest.

EXAKT Science posted:

Yeah tell that to the birds you loving monster

Early days but this might not be a problem forever:

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/537721/bladeless-wind-turbines-may-offer-more-form-than-function/

Unless birds go all Hitchcock before that in which case, we'll all be hosed coal or no coal.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my dad thought he was having a heart attack in his ssanyong musso and he pulled into lucas heights and they saved his life. he died a few years later, alone

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cleretic posted:

As I recall, Ludlam went over the reasons the Greens aren't pro-nuclear last year, and it was something along the lines of 'it's better than what we do have now, but it's not better than what we could have now'.

'could' is the operative word here. What we end up with is WA recommissioning a coal plant for 250 million.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Graic Gabtar posted:

I'm sure a few people have heard of it/seen it but a recent doco Twisting the dragon's tail gives a fairly good overview of Lucas Heights and the short term viability of nuclear medicine. Kind of makes the Greens leap of faith future technology argument look like the equivalent of 'clean coal'. A bit lame to be honest.

What do you mean by this? I watched that doco and I don't remember any shenanigans regarding nuclear medicine. What I do remember of the doco are the concluding remarks, which said that we've pretty much missed the boat with nuclear and that if we have to make a decision right now (which we do) that we should go renewable.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Orkin Mang posted:

my dad thought he was having a heart attack in his ssanyong musso and he pulled into lucas heights and they saved his life. he died a few years later, alone

If he was out that way chances are he was from the Shire and his death was for the best.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Tokamak posted:

'could' is the operative word here. What we end up with is WA recommissioning a coal plant for 250 million.

and so the solution is building a multi-billion dollar nuclear reactor instead?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

xPanda posted:

What do you mean by this? I watched that doco and I don't remember any shenanigans regarding nuclear medicine. What I do remember of the doco are the concluding remarks, which said that we've pretty much missed the boat with nuclear and that if we have to make a decision right now (which we do) that we should go renewable.

You sure you didn't see the overview of Lucas Heights and then in hospital with the cancer patient in remission? They demonstrated just how short the half-life of nuclear medicine can be.

The show was a partnership between PBS and SBS. Which version did you see? I saw the PBS version. Maybe there were differences in editing?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i wish graig gabtar was in a coma :(

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Disappointed it didn't read "hydroponic bong" :weed:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I think he was asking about your"Kind of makes the Greens leap of faith future technology argument look like the equivalent of 'clean coal'. A bit lame to be honest." statement, which I too do not understand. There's no future technology involved - currently, considering the cost and time it takes to build a nuclear power plant, renewables are a much more cost-effective and realistic proposal than creating an Australian nuclear power industry from scratch. If you're using Lucas Heights as an example of how Australia could jump to nuclear power you've missed that the HIFAR is a medical reactor which is much less complicated than a full-fledged powerplant.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
haha ok bbjoey.

all my liquid comes from a box

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Orkin Mang posted:

haha ok bbjoey.

all my liquid comes from a box

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
I dug up the transcript. My emphasis.

TTDT posted:

But there are other dangerous radioactive fission fragments in there with much shorter half-lives.
And the astounding thing is some of these can be used to save lives.
In this unremarkable building, they take what makes Chernobyl so dangerous, and they make a life-saving medicine.
All right, I am all set, suited up, and ready to go into Australia's one and only nuclear reactor.
This is not a power reactor.
It is a research reactor, and here they create medicine and technology.
The medicine they make here is called technetium-99m.
-COMPUTER: Please enter and pause until counting has finishe.
-MULLER: But what's really exciting is where they make it.
-Okay.
Please proceed.
-This is a nuclear reactor.
It's actually an open-pool reactor, which means that the core is visible 12 meters underneath that water.
You can see a blue glow down there, which is actually called Cherenkov radiation, and what that is is electrons moving through the water faster than light can move through the water.
And that creates what's kind of like an optical sonic boom.
That's the blue glow of light which forms a cone behind every electron.
Down there, they are splitting uranium atoms into fragments.
It's the first step in making the medicine technetium-99m.
Technetium-99m has a half-life of just six hours.
It's a crucial medicine used to detect cancer.

Here I met up with Jason.
-MAN: It was actually 2001, and I was playing Australian rules football, and it was a pain in my leg, and it just got worse and worse, and I assumed I had a hip injury and saw an orthopedic surgeon, expecting a hip operation, and he said, "You've got a tumor about that long in your leg.
" There's a few key tests, but this one is the key test.
-MULLER: So, what do you reckon? Should you be radioactive? -BATSON: [ Chuckles ] You're gonna tell me.
[ Device beeping slowly ] -MULLER: You don't seem very radioactive.
That reading is about the same as everywhere around this hospital.
And now the highly radioactive technetium-99m is injected into Jason.
[ Device beeping rapidly ] I'm getting an alarm off that.
This is the kind of level of radiation we saw in Chernobyl.
-MAN: Injecting now.
-MULLER: And what they're injecting you with is actually fragments of uranium.
-There you go.
-MULLER: [ Laughs ] Doesn't freak you out? [ Chuckles ] -My eyes are open, and I'm breathing.
-MULLER: [ Laughs ] [ Device beeping rapidly ] As you can hear from my Geiger counter, I'm getting close to a radioactive source.
In this case, it's Jason.
He is actually emitting lots of gamma rays right now.
And in the same way that my Geiger counter picks up these gamma rays, this machine is actually detecting those gamma rays and making a picture out of them, because technetium gathers at the site of fast-growing cancers.
And that allows us to determine if there are any tumors in Jason's body because they'll be glowing quite brightly.
So this allows us to spot cancer earlier and treat it better.
But what about Jason, who's now full of radioactive technetium-99m? Well, that's where the six-hour half-life kicks in.

[ Device ringing ] -MULLER: Yeah, 240, 300! Look at that! That bit of you is going off.
-Wow.
-MULLER: I saw something similar when I was a few hundred meters from the Chernobyl reactor that blew up.
[ Laughs ] -It's amazing.
-MULLER: Have you heard about half-life? Have you heard that term before? -No.
-Half-life means how long it takes for half of the stuff they've put in you to decay.
So, when it's reading right now around 200 microsieverts an hour, the half-life of the substance that they put in you is about six hours.
So, in six hours, this should be reading 100.
-Yeah.
-In another six hours, it'll read 50, and then 25 and so on.
So it cuts in half every six hours.
-Every six hours.
Yeah.

Orkin Mang posted:

i wish graig gabtar was in a coma :(

Well is a waking coma good enough?

Orkin Mang said my name!

BBJoey posted:

I think he was asking about your"Kind of makes the Greens leap of faith future technology argument look like the equivalent of 'clean coal'. A bit lame to be honest." statement, which I too do not understand. There's no future technology involved - currently, considering the cost and time it takes to build a nuclear power plant, renewables are a much more cost-effective and realistic proposal than creating an Australian nuclear power industry from scratch. If you're using Lucas Heights as an example of how Australia could jump to nuclear power you've missed that the HIFAR is a medical reactor which is much less complicated than a full-fledged powerplant.

I think you misunderstand me. I was referring to the Greens policy on nuclear medicine.

Greens posted:

The Australian Greens want:

Closure of the OPAL nuclear reactor at Lucas Heights and development of non-reactor technologies, such as particle accelerators, for the production of radioisotopes for medical and scientific purposes.

We should not be considering building any nuclear power plants - that ship has sailed (and was probably never in port given our energy security). We already have one for medical purposes. No need for any more.

Citing your references (once) - achievement unlocked. Now that I've done that I'm off to make potato salad.

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 7, 2016

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Graic Gabtar posted:

You sure you didn't see the overview of Lucas Heights and then in hospital with the cancer patient in remission? They demonstrated just how short the half-life of nuclear medicine can be.

The show was a partnership between PBS and SBS. Which version did you see? I saw the PBS version. Maybe there were differences in editing?

Oh no, I saw that. I understand now. I probably ignored it since I knew it already - some of my lab work at ANSTO.

Graic Gabtar posted:

I think you misunderstand me. I was referring to the Greens policy on nuclear medicine.

quote:

The Australian Greens want:

Closure of the OPAL nuclear reactor at Lucas Heights and development of non-reactor technologies, such as particle accelerators, for the production of radioisotopes for medical and scientific purposes.
We should not be considering building any nuclear power plants - that ship has sailed (and was probably never in port given our energy security). We already have one for medical purposes. No need for any more.

Siting your references (once) - achievement unlocked. Now that I've done that I'm off to make potato salad.

Looks to me like they're trying to internally appease the rabid anti-nuclear crowd with the thought of particle accelerators. As far as I know reactors are way more efficient, but I don't know very far. I really only think of accelerators for diffraction experiments, not for medicine. I can't help but think that you'd need a nuclear power reactor to generate the power for an accelerator to produce enough medical isotopes to compete with a nuclear medicine reactor. No proof of that, of course.

They would have sounded more sensible if they'd said "closure of the OPAL reactor after the development of non-reactor technologies, but the old eco-crowd from which the party was borne might not have wanted to wait.

xPanda fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 7, 2016

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Unsure why this isn't getting more coverage

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/chinas-currency-rout-is-rocking-markets-again-2016-1?wt=2

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Graic Gabtar posted:

Oh, I didn't realise that. That's loving dumb. I'm not a member of the Greens, but those goons who are, have you considered raising this at a meeting or whatever?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i went to a greens meeting in st kilda and now im dying of terminal heisenberg uncertainty waste.i cant know what to do

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sounds like the building boom icebergs are breaking off the stock market shelf and plunging the yuan into the sea. I'm sure the Australian market is staring dumbly and whimpering too much to say anything just yet.

Also, the bad old days May Joh rot in hell.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my particulars are fisipirating into waves noooo,oo,.....ooo..ah,hc

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
It's cool that Ratbag Craig is cool now

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Orkin Mang posted:

my particulars are fisipirating into waves noooo,oo,.....ooo..ah,hc

rip mang, he died like he lived, fisting pirates.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Birb Katter posted:

rip mang, he died like he lived, fisting pirates.

im 20 st drinks in and about to see a movie at a drive in in dandedong. :)

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Twenty Saint Drinks is a cool rap name but you maybe have alcoholism and should hit up some help

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Peccadillo posted:

Twenty Saint Drinks is a cool rap name but you maybe have alcoholism and should hit up some help

my chest hurts and im short of breath all day and theres this taste of copper.i want to die :(

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

BBJoey posted:

Oh, I didn't realise that. That's loving dumb. I'm not a member of the Greens, but those goons who are, have you considered raising this at a meeting or whatever?

I might be wrong but I think this is one of the things that QM is working on in his regional group.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Orkin Mang posted:

my chest hurts and im short of breath all day and theres this taste of copper.i want to die :(

Go see a doctor and get a chest x-ray.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

tomkash posted:

lol since when was being anti-GM a core Greens policy you sad flaccid man.

Here is what Scott Ludlam recently wrote about nuclear power in Australia. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/06/call-me-emotional-if-you-like-but-my-anti-nuclear-arguments-are-based-on-evidence

Thanks for the link

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Orkin Mang posted:

Oh, nevermind, that's normal

(https://drinkwise.org.au/drinking-and-you/support-services-adults/ there are free services in most major cities that can be astoundingly good and cool, give one a call if you can and wanna.

edit: waitlists can be long, but hell, that time's still the same ol')

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 7, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Denial perhaps?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
orkin it's cancer better technetium up

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

BBJoey posted:

and so the solution is building a multi-billion dollar nuclear reactor instead?

No, but the problem still remains that a confluence of events led to the recommissioning of a coal plant.

There is a disconnect between the way The Greens talk about the maturity of the technology and the reality. It's just frustrating to hear how everything's good on the renewables front, and then seeing project after project being postponed and coal plants left to run past their use-by.

Why isn't something like Muja station not brought to national attention and discussed alongside alternatives. It's the first time I've heard of it. Spending 250 million on 240MW of power (while a little cheaper then new, iirc) isn't exactly a bargain when corroded pipes led to an explosion, and more recently a coolant tower collapsed. It's a shame that all I ever hear from them are pie in the sky plans, whereas I never hear about poo poo like this.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 7, 2016

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

There's something called Smart Recovery, too, which is a more modern group therapy approach to dependance, rather than AA and NA's Jungian spiritual church like abstinence. I'm pretty sure they're open to everyone, if you can find one close

http://smartrecoveryaustralia.com.au

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 7, 2016

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

The stock market is going kaboom, interest rates are 0 or negative, so a lot of the scared money will flood into property. Which is near peak and will go kaboom as well.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Tokamak posted:

No, but the problem still remains that a confluence of events led to the recommissioning of a coal plant.

There is a disconnect between the way The Greens talk about the maturity of the technology and the reality. It's just frustrating to hear how everything's good on the renewables front, and then seeing project after project being postponed and coal plants left to run past their use-by.

Why isn't something like Muja station not brought to national attention and discussed alongside alternatives. It's the first time I've heard of it. Spending 250 million on 240MW of power (while a little cheaper then new, iirc) isn't exactly a bargain when corroded pipes led to an explosion, and more recently a coolant tower collapsed. It's a shame that all I ever hear from them are pie in the sky plans, whereas I never hear about poo poo like this.

I'm not sure that there's a disconnect in what the Greens are saying. As far as I understand it, they're arguing that if there was a will to make a concerted effort to move away from coal, renewable technology is sufficiently developed these days that a solid, workable plan could be put in place to get to 100% renewable energy within two decades, with no need for any intermediate steps, be they clean coal, nuclear energy, whatever. Obviously, this will doesn't exist at a political level, thanks to the LNP being coal fetishists and the ALP being themselves, so when the question of power is raised the answer is immediately "coal" with no consideration of alternatives.

These aren't pie in the sky plans - they're plans which, if the Greens suddenly came to power tomorrow, could be implemented immediately. The problem as ever is that the Greens are only a minority party and so all they can do is lobby their ideas and hope that people listen.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Because its the intro to 'the rover'

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

wow that movie sucked

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Birdstrike posted:

wow that movie sucked

It's no These Final Hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Argh! The clichéd snippets of text that litter that trailer are terrible. I think that might be the millionth time you'll see Yeats / Chinua Achebe shat on as well.

• Locked thread