Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I adopted this little furball back in October. She is 2 1/2 and has FeLV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.
Anyone found a good mat or something to lay under and around the litter box to prevent your little shitbox from spreading litter?

It's not the biggest deal as we have the litter box in our master bathroom, but its annoying stepping on crunchy litter with bare feet.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Grimshak posted:

Anyone found a good mat or something to lay under and around the litter box to prevent your little shitbox from spreading litter?

It's not the biggest deal as we have the litter box in our master bathroom, but its annoying stepping on crunchy litter with bare feet.

I grabbed carpet samples from a local carpet place. Cheap, or free, gets job done most of the time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grimshak posted:

We use puppy training absorbent pads around our litter boxes. Cats don't always understand that just because their feet are in the litter, their butt may not be.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I just have an old bath towel under mine, easy to fold up and take outside to shake out and I can throw it in the wash if need be.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

taqueso posted:

Post a photo of your new roommate.

the night i posted that he bolted out the front door and i couldn't coax him inside again so i kind of resigned to waiting to see if he'd show up again (he did.) it's one thing to stop a cat that is curious about the outside but it's another to just catch one who is hell determined to get where he wants to be when a door opens. such is the nature of these beasts?

he's back, im pretty sure he's just an outdoor cat that figured out how to get the most food/warmth/pettings he could. im gonna try to keep him indoors so i can actually like take him to a vet and get him checked or at least post some ads so hopefully he doesn't straight beeline it out the door when he decides he wants to go somewhere else.

also, still hoping he is not someone's cat and their cat ownership manual is 'feed, let in door occasionally'

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Deteriorata posted:

We use puppy training absorbent pads around our litter boxes. Cats don't always understand that just because their feet are in the litter, their butt may not be.

Mine likes to kick all the sand out, poop on the plastic then stand there half in and half out of the litterbox, trying to fling imaginary litter into the bin.

Anyway, I'm no master on cat anatomy but I think my cat is weird. I posted here ages ago about how he broke his hip and became really timid about exercise and jumping, and his subsequent recovery from this. He's back to being a climbing and jumping master. The thing is though, he puts all his emphasis on his front paws. As a result his upper body is loving jacked, so I don't know if it's fur messing with people's eyes or if my cat seriously is built like the crippled guy from Family Guy, but that's basically what he looks like. He's also a monster at grabbing things and just lifting his whole drat body up with his front paws alone. His back legs are fine, for the record, he's just super cautious about them now.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
My cat is scared of boxes. Somehow, his fear of boxes is weaker than his desire to poop in sand, so he always goes in the box, but he spends the least amount of time possible in there. Before he uses it, he'll stand outside the box and scratch at the wall and the floor. He'll reach into the box with one paw while the rest of his body including his head remains outside the box and scratch around a bit (usually at the walls of the box). Then he'll jump in and do his business, then jump out again and "cover" it using the same technique.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
One of my neighborhood cats keeps showing up on my doorstep and pawing like he wants to come inside. :ohdear:

He's a nice kitty, but I'm not sure what to do.

He does have a forever home and everything, but... well...

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Don't steal a cat. Cats do this thing where if a door is shut they want it to open, he's not asking you to steal him.

E: if you think it's being neglected, contact authorities. Do not just help yourself to someone else's pet, there are actual homeless animals you can take in legally from shelters if you want a cat.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Klaus88 posted:

One of my neighborhood cats keeps showing up on my doorstep and pawing like he wants to come inside. :ohdear:

It's probably a trick he's learned at other neighbors. Scratch at the door and look pitiful, and lo and behold, food appears.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Be prepared they'll be really obnoxious about this. When they come, they will do poo poo like sit on your hands if you want to work, or mewl really loudly until you lift them up so they can sleep in your lap. (OK, the last thing is maybe just my own, very lazy cat.)

They're Ragdolls; they will absolutely do both of those things.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

dovetaile posted:

They're Ragdolls; they will absolutely do both of those things.

Any cat, really. :P My ginger shorthair took 6 months, but she finally figured out that sitting in laps was an okay thing to do, and now I can't get anything done at home anymore.

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

My cat does this to our neighbors. We live in a townhouse complex so I think she thinks that the entire complex is her's. In the summer when everyone has their windows open we know that she'll hang out in at least 5 of our neighbors houses. In the winter she meows at one of our neighbor's until she's let in and then spends hours looking out on to their back yard at the rats and squirrels that run by.

We leave a window propped open for her to come and go and most days my wife works from home so she's got warmth and company if she wants it, she just likes visiting other people.

Photo of the offender in my in-law's Christmas tree:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
My kitty had a rough start for the year. I had to unclog her feeding tube again. The spot where the tube is taped to the collar was taped too tightly, so I had to re-attach it. I'd gotten some first aid tape from the store, but it didn't stick for poo poo. I ended up using regular masking tape. It looks goofy, but it works just as well.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning were all good days. She ate lots of her regular food in addition to her tube feeding. Then yesterday around noon, she ralphed all over the loving place.

Everything came up. I tried to give her more anti-nausea medicine and she threw that up, too.

Later in the day, she started eating again and seemed to be okay. This morning I wake up to more barf (in 8-10 separate spots). I took her to the vet and he gave her a shot for nausea. It's supposed to last 24 hours. I'm going to try and encourage her to eat and not tube feed her (you do NOT want to have to clean that up!) for the rest of the night and tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Update on cat who peed directly outside the box:

My boyfriend was up all night the other night, and saw problem cat scratching at the puppy pad outside the litter box around 5am. He stopped cat and sprinkled some catnip in the litter. He waited up until 6am, but cat didn't try to go again, so boyfriend gave up and went to bed.

When I woke up, problem cat had peed in the litter box. He's done it every day since, and even climbed in and peed in front of me last night. I told him he was a very good boy, and he promptly knocked a bunch of things off the shelf.

Diagnosis: my cat is very dumb and forgot pee goes in the box.
Alternate diagnosis: It is a cat.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've been letting Leo spend some time outside because he's been stir crazy. I noticed what looked to be worm segment rice grains on my desk yesterday. I checked their butts this morning and it looks like Leo has worms.

I have Revolution, but I guess I lapsed on a dose. I dosed both him and CJ yesterday after I saw the grains (they share a litterbox). My understanding is this only treats roundworms, not tapeworms, but even though I think Leo has roundworms, I should treat for both just to be safe, right?

I'm leaving Friday for a few days otherwise I would order Profender online, but this is available for 2 hour delivery via Amazon Prime Now: http://www.amazon.com/Prolabs-Feline-Tapeworm-Tabs-3-23mg/dp/B004KPLX2K/

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 5, 2016

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

I wouldn't be so worried, but Apricot is very clearly pretty stressed out - she normally is very affectionate and patient with me, for example, and since the other cat has been out in the open she has changed quite a bit.

I agree with the other posters that they're most likely just working out the normal social order of cat colonies, but now and in the future if your introduction isn't going as you want it to you can always go to the previous step and give it some more time.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
Does anyone have any experience with dog-cat introductions? I recently just moved into a house with my two cats and my girlfriend's dog, and things have been kind of tense. Of my two cats, Bjork is pretty extroverted but not really assertive, she's fine meeting people but the loudness of this particular dog makes her anxious when they're in the same room. My other cat Enya, Bjork's sister, is generally scared of everything though and has mostly stuck to the basement.

So far we've kept the dog on a short leash around the cats, but that dog has been known to have some aggression issues and has been loud and whiny for the entirety of it's life. I've successfully introduced other cats to mine before over the course of a few days, but I'm not sure if there's anything special I need to do with dogs.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Angrymantium posted:

Does anyone have any experience with dog-cat introductions? I recently just moved into a house with my two cats and my girlfriend's dog, and things have been kind of tense. Of my two cats, Bjork is pretty extroverted but not really assertive, she's fine meeting people but the loudness of this particular dog makes her anxious when they're in the same room. My other cat Enya, Bjork's sister, is generally scared of everything though and has mostly stuck to the basement.

So far we've kept the dog on a short leash around the cats, but that dog has been known to have some aggression issues and has been loud and whiny for the entirety of it's life. I've successfully introduced other cats to mine before over the course of a few days, but I'm not sure if there's anything special I need to do with dogs.

If a dog has known aggression issues I would probably put them through obedience school or use other means to figure out what they're aggressive and how to fix it before introducing them to cats. How big is the dog compared to the cats? Could the cats deter it with claws before it kills them?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Reik posted:

If a dog has known aggression issues I would probably put them through obedience school or use other means to figure out what they're aggressive and how to fix it before introducing them to cats. How big is the dog compared to the cats? Could the cats deter it with claws before it kills them?

I don't think "Let the dog attack the cat and hope the cat drives it off before its hurt" is a viable introduction strategy.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Dienes posted:

I don't think "Let the dog attack the cat and hope the cat drives it off before its hurt" is a viable introduction strategy.

Definitely not, I was just thinking worst case scenario.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Nuebot posted:

Anyway, I'm no master on cat anatomy but I think my cat is weird.

This reminds me, the other day my cat let me rub her belly and I noticed something that seems weird. She, uh, seems to have a couple of extra nipples running off to the side in addition to nipples more in the center. Is this a known cat thing or is she a mutant?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

This reminds me, the other day my cat let me rub her belly and I noticed something that seems weird. She, uh, seems to have a couple of extra nipples running off to the side in addition to nipples more in the center. Is this a known cat thing or is she a mutant?

Well, none of our 4 cats has the same number of nipples - I guess that's a normal mutation?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I have nipples, Greg, can you milk me?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Kidney Stone posted:

Well, none of our 4 cats has the same number of nipples - I guess that's a normal mutation?

Yeah, I've read that the number of nipples vary, but these are off to the side, not in line with the rest. Seems weird.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I have nipples, Greg, can you milk me?

I can try, sailor :forkbomb:

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Could use some advice on cat roughhousing. Right now we have a 2 1/2 year old cat named Omar that we're looking to get a buddy. We've had him since he was a few months old so he hasn't had much of any socialization with other animals. I think we may have done a poor job when he was a kitten because he has very bad biting habits.

We've had a 10-month kitten over for a few nights as a possible companion for Omar. Most of the time they hang out together and seem to get along, but Omar plays way too rough. It's gotten to the point where they will be wrestling and the new kitten starts meowing loudly to get him to stop and eventually is hissing and spitting at him and obviously very angry. I've tried distracting Omar in the middle of it with toys or loud noises but often he ignores both and continues the wrestling.

It will eventually stop and I haven't noticed any obvious marks on the kitten yet. They will also initiate more playtime in the same day they were very mad at Omar.

I'm just not sure if I should be concerned about the current level of roughhousing. Will an unsocialized cat eventually learn to tone down the aggressive play?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BitterAvatar posted:

Could use some advice on cat roughhousing. Right now we have a 2 1/2 year old cat named Omar that we're looking to get a buddy. We've had him since he was a few months old so he hasn't had much of any socialization with other animals. I think we may have done a poor job when he was a kitten because he has very bad biting habits.

We've had a 10-month kitten over for a few nights as a possible companion for Omar. Most of the time they hang out together and seem to get along, but Omar plays way too rough. It's gotten to the point where they will be wrestling and the new kitten starts meowing loudly to get him to stop and eventually is hissing and spitting at him and obviously very angry. I've tried distracting Omar in the middle of it with toys or loud noises but often he ignores both and continues the wrestling.

It will eventually stop and I haven't noticed any obvious marks on the kitten yet. They will also initiate more playtime in the same day they were very mad at Omar.

I'm just not sure if I should be concerned about the current level of roughhousing. Will an unsocialized cat eventually learn to tone down the aggressive play?

That all sounds completely normal for cats. As long as there's no blood let them go to it. Seems like the kitten is holding his own and doesn't actually need any help from you.

Each is trying to establish dominance over the other. The fighting is how they say "don't mess with me" to the other, so they can establish ground rules for getting along. It's all part of normal cat social behavior.

If the claws come out and bites start breaking the skin, then it's time to get concerned.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

That all sounds completely normal for cats. As long as there's no blood let them go to it. Seems like the kitten is holding his own and doesn't actually need any help from you.

Each is trying to establish dominance over the other. The fighting is how they say "don't mess with me" to the other, so they can establish ground rules for getting along. It's all part of normal cat social behavior.

If the claws come out and bites start breaking the skin, then it's time to get concerned.

Seconding normal cat behavior. Our two younger cats play and they'll get to loud meowing and hissing when they're really in to it. If there's no blood then they are keeping their claws and teeth to themselves. They're probably initiating with Omar afterwards to try and settle the score.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Just got our 7 month old kitten spayed. She is not reacting well to her cone, and keeps trying to get it off. How am I going to keep her off the sutures and not jumping or running for ten days?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I read the OP and couldn't find anything about this (or maybe I missed it, sorry!).

We rescued a Labrador a couple of days ago while on holidays, and we will most likely be taking her home with us, at least until we can find her a good home.

The dog is super chill and nice, and was most likely a house pet before she got lost (we've put up fliers and posted on different websites, but no one has turned up looking for her, and there's no shelters that will take her :( )

Just as an example, my 4 year old nephew plays with her constantly and the dog is more than happy to let him climb all over her and doesn't complain or yelp or indicate any sort of displeasure.

Only problem is that we have two cats at home. I don't anticipate any major problems and very much doubt that the dog will try and bite them but I would still appreciate any tips or guides on how to introduce a dog to a cat household.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

wilderthanmild posted:

Just got our 7 month old kitten spayed. She is not reacting well to her cone, and keeps trying to get it off. How am I going to keep her off the sutures and not jumping or running for ten days?

Keep the cone on her. She may not like it, but she'll get used to it. As for keeping her from running/jumping, you can try confining her to a small boring room like a bathroom when you aren't able to observe her.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Due to the bathroom, and basically every other room being filled with things she loves to jump and climb on, we decided to get her pen/cage big enough for her, her litterbox, and food/water. I'm sure she'll hate not being totally free when we aren't able to watch her, but I'm sure she'll be able to deal with it for a week or two, especially since she's medicated for the time being.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
My cat just spent a minute wheezing like she wanted to hack up a hairball, but nothing came out. According to my wife she did this once before last week. Otherwise she seems OK. How long should I give her to get it out? Should I take her to the vet?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

My cat just spent a minute wheezing like she wanted to hack up a hairball, but nothing came out. According to my wife she did this once before last week. Otherwise she seems OK. How long should I give her to get it out? Should I take her to the vet?

One of my cats does this all the time. He doesn't hairball, he shits out pellets of hair. Has your cat hairballed before?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Hyperlynx posted:

One of my cats does this all the time. He doesn't hairball, he shits out pellets of hair. Has your cat hairballed before?

I don't know, we just got her a month ago. She's medium length hair and grooms herself regularly, but we try to furminate her every day or two.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Sometimes the hairball doesn't come out on the first try. It may come out later or she might manage to digest it. Don't panic. Maybe all cats should come with a towel and a cat care book that says "don't panic" in nice friendly letters on the cover.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It's possible she's having an asthma attack rather than a hairball. I used to have a cat who had them every now and then and it sounds different enough to hairball coughing that I could tell the difference after a while but similar enough that it took a long time to work out that's what was happening.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
This cat is being the saddest animal right now after her spay. Only thing she does is sit, whimper, eat/drink(lightly) and go to the litter box. She's in a cone and on painkillers though, so it's kinda expected. It's just sad she can't understand why it's happening.

It's heartbreaking. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

I don't know, we just got her a month ago. She's medium length hair and grooms herself regularly, but we try to furminate her every day or two.

You could try giving her some Laxatone, you can pick it up at a pet store. It just helps lubricate the hairballs so they can be passed. If they don't like the taste you can just rub some on their front paw and they'll clean it off.