Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Guavanaut posted:

Less of this illegal sedition. Straight British short swords only. Bonus points if it has a royal cypher on the hilt so you can shout "Clean with the Queen" while you stab a terrified Indian who is putting his backpack on a train rack.

Surely the most British stabby thing is the bayonet.

First patient I ever layed out had bayoneted an Indian. He killed him during the famine in 1943. He told me he had no choice, as they were about to be over run. Nice old boy. Worked as a bus conductor after the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
Thinking about that, I remember my old man telling me about the first patient he layed out.

He was at Omdurman and told my dad about looking at the dead bodies after. He reckoned they had no chance, but they were still brave. Some of them were wearing chain mail armour.

Hopefully the next generation of nurses will not have to deal with the elderly dead bodies of imperialism. There would be less of them for a start.

God knows what the world will be like when some student nurse lays out the dead body of a reaper drone operator in 2080.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why did you flood England General????

Were those grouse drives worth it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm glad my grandad didn't have to stab any famished Indian people. From what I remember him saying most of the colonial troops in north-east India were starved themselves and everyone was grateful to the Sikh temples for having an open food table on a Friday night.
There was still the occasional mobilization against whatever the Japanese were supposed to be doing long the Burma line, but more often it was playing football against Indian villagers and figuring out ways to steal alcohol from the officers' quarters.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

JFairfax posted:

Why did you flood England General????

Were those grouse drives worth it?

I only ever shot a pheasant, and it was asking for it. It ate all the vegetables I was trying to grow.

I've moved from the countryside and now inhabit my natural ecosystem, the northern town. I have yet to move into my niche- a council house, but I am working on that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope you ate the pheasant afterwards as weregild for your lost vegetables.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Guavanaut posted:

I'm glad my grandad didn't have to stab any famished Indian people. From what I remember him saying most of the colonial troops in north-east India were starved themselves and everyone was grateful to the Sikh temples for having an open food table on a Friday night.
There was still the occasional mobilization against whatever the Japanese were supposed to be doing long the Burma line, but more often it was playing football against Indian villagers and figuring out ways to steal alcohol from the officers' quarters.

Other elderly people's experiences may differ.

Especially the 3 million Indians who died.

But I'm glad to hear somebody's grandad had a bit of a laugh.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

OwlFancier posted:

I hope you ate the pheasant afterwards as weregild for your lost vegetables.

No, swapped it for some hooky baccy.

Pheasant ain't nice meat, and the ex told me to get it out of the house.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I need to try pheasant.

Actually it makes me somewhat sad that there are probably more types of animals on earth than I can realistically eat.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Pheasant is nice especially in a pie.

Edit: Brown your pheasant with some diced bacon, fry some mushrooms and onion, take half a bottle of tawny port, reduce it by half and mix with an equal amount of chicken stock, put the pheasant and bacon in with the mushrooms and onions, add some garlic and flour it, pour your stocky port in, cook untill thickened and put into some pastry and cook. Boom there's a nice loving pie.

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 7, 2016

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Pheasant is alright, but it's no wood pigeon. Fat little fuckers are delicious when you pan fry their boobs in some garlic butter and cranberry sauce.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

Pheasant is alright, but it's no wood pigeon. Fat little fuckers are delicious when you pan fry their boobs in some garlic butter and cranberry sauce.

Work paid for an xmas lunch for our department and i had pigeon as a starter. It's pretty good but i only chose it cause it was most expensive. :nyoron:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I used to go out with a girl who worked for a butcher delivery service, she was always bringing back cans of venison and vacuumed veal and because she was a vegetarian guess who ate prime loving meat for free

I'll never forget my deer ragú, it was epic.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Coohoolin posted:

Source your guardian quotes

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Coohoolin posted:

I used to go out with a girl who worked for a butcher delivery service, she was always bringing back cans of venison and vacuumed veal and because she was a vegetarian guess who ate prime loving meat for free

A girl who knows how to handle your meat properly is to be cherished

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

General China posted:

No, swapped it for some hooky baccy.

Pheasant ain't nice meat, and the ex told me to get it out of the house.

It is me I raised you from the dead didn't I
braaaaains

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/12084785/Exams-to-be-taken-earlier-in-the-day-to-fit-around-Ramadan-exam-boards-say.html

quote:

GCSE and A-level exams could be rejigged this summer to take into account the impact of Ramadan, when Muslims fast during daylight hours, the exam boards have said.

quote:

Colin Hart, director of The Christian Institute, a charity that represents 4,000 churches around the UK, said:

"[Exam boards] should let things be. What about students who have medical conditions? How can you start changing the rules for everybody just for those particular pupils who are Muslims, which is a minority.

"It is wrong to impose a Ramadan time table on pupils who are not Muslims. We don’t live in Saudi Arabia where they need to fit the exams around sharia principles.

"It’s wrong that imposing this festival on everybody else.

"When it comes to Easter holidays we have seen the complete erosion of Easter holidays . It used to be two weeks off and now it's only a few days before and after Easter weekend. No regard is given to Christian pupils for Easter.

"It seems like there is one rule for Muslims and another rule for Christians. The exam boards seems to be imposing Ramadan on everybody else."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
someone should really have told him to shut the gently caress up when the first thing he brings up is students with medical conditions

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol can you imagine if schools catered to a christian agenda like time off for christmas and easter and harvest festivals and prayers in assemblies

no one would stand for it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

someone should really have told him to shut the gently caress up when the first thing he brings up is students with medical conditions
What even is his point there? Students with medical conditions can already get additional allowances for exams.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What a surprise that someone from a Christian 'institute' is actually a right-winger trying to push an agenda on people.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Guavanaut posted:

What even is his point there? Students with medical conditions can already get additional allowances for exams.

Yeah I got extra time during exams because of my Dyspraxia making it hard to write quickly, don't know what the gently caress he's talking about.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
On the other hand, Islam is very reasonable about observing Ramadan allowing people who need to to defer their fast until a time when it's better for them. If I was a Muslim student I think I'd look in to that.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pissflaps posted:

On the other hand, Islam is very reasonable about observing Ramadan allowing people who need to to defer their fast until a time when it's better for them. If I was a Muslim student I think I'd look in to that.

Only when traveling or sick, neither of which is really applicable here.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

This isn't new. Time tabling of this exam schedule has taken into account Ramadan for years now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah but we weren't terrified of Muslims years ago.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Telegraph Columnist Dan Hodges Praised For Honouring Lost Bet On Ukip 2015 Election Success

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That's not streaking, Dan.

Streaking is running naked.

Running in your underwear just makes you mental.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he can't make any money advertising if he's naked though

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

quote:

True to his word, clad only in trainers and a pair of black underpants, Hodges completed the run in just 3:37 minutes - defying odds that he might get arrested along the way.

Arriving outside the Houses of Parliament, he said: "I actually feel invigorated, more people should consider naked running."

Hmm something's missing but I can't put my finger on it

At least he raised some money for charity? Maybe he's found his true calling

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ddraig posted:

That's not streaking, Dan.

Streaking is running naked.

Running in your underwear just makes you mental.
I'm more disappointed at his lack of Farage mask than not being able to see what his penis looks like after a long run in the cold.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

For some reason he went with a Gerry Adams mask but didn't bring a duck. Missed opportunity imo

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, he actually did it, which is undeniably a (small) point in his favour.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't think that's the (small) point that the thread wanted to see though.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It just gets better and better

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Looking at defence things, in a defence review? Shorely not

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Good, it's about time someone thought about leaving NATO.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

For a man who promised to bow out of politics after losing the last mayoral election, and who doesn't actually hold any office or elected position Livingstone's become pretty vocal recently.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Cerv posted:

For a man who promised to bow out of politics after losing the last mayoral election, and who doesn't actually hold any office or elected position Livingstone's become pretty vocal recently.

He's Ken Livingstone, he's massively self important and for good or bad will never be capable of shutting the gently caress up. I dont like NATO and in my ideal world would leave it but lets be fair its probably not going to happen and even mentioning talking about is the sort of thing that's gonna get Labour crucified in the press so maybe it would be a good idea for them to be a bit savvy and not go on about it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

Sounds good.

• Locked thread