Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

As a Millennial I posted:

As We The People, that is actually my building to do with as I will. Furthermore, the corporation called The United States Incorporated actually trespassed on We The People's land when they built it, which is an act of treason, and according to posse comitatus,

At which point the sheriff melts like the wicked witch of the west, just as they imagined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I like how it's "We the People" meaning "me and my twelve buddies decided this is right." Doesn't matter what the other 300,000,000 Americans think. This ain't a bird sanctuary anymore 'cause gently caress y'all we got cows to graze.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Why is the Sheriff the level of authority they're willing to accept?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Iowa Snow King posted:

Because.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Iowa Snow King posted:

For the same reason they wear cowboy hats in freezing temperatures. In their rich fantasy lives, they're cowboys, just like John Wayne.

General_Disturbed
Apr 7, 2005

Ride the 8=====D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbvV1QCfVIo

This is a recording of the livestream of the townhall meeting tonight. It's damaged or strategically cut, since it keeps jumping around. Hopefully somebody can find a better version of it. The guy recording is clearly biased and walked out before it's over, and spent the first 10 minutes or so complaining about how they shouldn't ask the militia to leave and the last 15 minutes ranting on camera.

The town seems pretty much behind the sheriff, and clearly wants these militia men gone. Everytime the Sheriff mentions wanting the militia to leave, or mentions that the militia has no right to come into their county and tell them how to live their lives... he gets a standing ovation.

Highlight of the stream, is this man yelling about how somebody with a pocket constitution should come in and teach the sheriff what his powers are, so he can go directly negotiate with the militia himself. That the sheriff should stand up and apologize for dereliction of duty for letting the FBI take over, when the Sheriff is the supreme law of the land. And also that the Sheriff should put on flip flops, shorts, and a t-shirt and go break bread with these good christian militia men to resolve the situation.

The streamer is also convinced that the FBI is getting ready to slaughter every militia-man to the last, and the entire situation could be resolved by the Sheriff going to arrest all of them personally, so the FBI doesn't kill them all.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Al! posted:

For the same reason they wear cowboy hats in freezing temperatures. In their rich fantasy lives, they're cowboys, just like John Wayne.

What if it's like a Rock Ridge situation?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Iowa Snow King posted:

What if it's like a Rock Ridge situation?

I'd be willing to bet they did not bring a shitload of dimes.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
This whole situation is mind-numbingly stupid:

Bundy - "We're taking over this federal building for as long as the people support us! We will die for our constitutional freedoms if met with force! Down with government oppression!"

Town residents - "We just voted unanimously to tell you to stop squatting and go home."

Bundy - "...Duhhhhhhhhhh? Please send snacks."

This is incredibly stupid and is less baffling than it is mind-numbing.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Iowa Snow King posted:

Something about the sheriff being the only law enforcement actually mentioned in the constitution or some bullshit.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
because sheriffs are supposed to be old timey and folksy

or sinister

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Discendo Vox posted:

This is unlikely. Almost all of the occupiers are from out of state, and the town had previously turned against them when they did this off the back of a nonviolent protest in a nearby town.

So crossing state lines to commit a crime, while armed.

Yeah, that's not a fun one if the feds feel like making it an issue.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Al! posted:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/johnwayne/indians.asp

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Liquid Communism posted:

So crossing state lines to commit a crime, while armed.

Yeah, that's not a fun one if the feds feel like making it an issue.

they don't. it's too politically dangerous to uphold the law

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Tough talk from a man who played make believe for a living.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Another take on the controversy.

Essentially, arguing that under the terms the protesters are dictating, they have no right to the land.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

CNN posted:

Late Tuesday, Bundy said he's been told the FBI has obtained five arrest warrants and planned to raid the property, an allegation federal or local law enforcement did not confirm.

The protest leader didn't name the source of his information. He said he talked to an unnamed "commissioner."

According to Bundy, the source said authorities were gathering "their equipment and their goons" at a local high school, where classes have been suspended, and "they were planning on coming in and raiding the refuge."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/06/us/oregon-wildlife-refuge-armed-protest/

While the FBI making some arrests is a plausible scenario, these guys are incredibly narcissistic and paranoid and it's more likely they're just seeking attention.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
A whole lot of people are asking why the government isn't blocking off the roads and therefore letting every chucklehead pass freely to and from the reserve.

Here's a google maps link to the place. Click it and just spin the camera around for a bit.

This is what you'll see:

(please note sniper post :downs:)

The entire place is flat and if the cops block off the roads, people will just drive over the grass and shrubs.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

The entire place is flat and if the cops block off the roads, people will just drive over the grass and shrubs.

But presumably that would still be illegal to do so.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
So far I've only seen 1 hunting rifle. Does anyone have pictures of any other alleged armaments so we know what the boys in blue are up against.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

A whole lot of people are asking why the government isn't blocking off the roads and therefore letting every chucklehead pass freely to and from the reserve.

Here's a google maps link to the place. Click it and just spin the camera around for a bit.

This is what you'll see:

(please note sniper post :downs:)

Do you really think that if they blocked the roads, these yokels would get creative and drive their trucks off road, in accordance with the purpose for which they are ostensibly marketed?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

It would keep reporters away.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Then we'd all be treated to a live feed of the building's roof.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Gullous posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/06/us/oregon-wildlife-refuge-armed-protest/

While the FBI making some arrests is a plausible scenario, these guys are incredibly narcissistic and paranoid and it's more likely they're just seeking attention.

I bet they are pretty desperate for that to happen before people get bored and go home.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Who What Now posted:

The people saying "just let them go without any consequences at all" are also retarded.

Who the gently caress's been saying this? All I've seen is either people saying nothing will happen because "lol, dey white" or let it piddle out and arrest/fine them after. I've not read anyone advocating we should just let'em go.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I am just glad that the children are out of school so they can watch authentic frontier gibberish in TV. These guys are the common clay of the New West.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I like how it's "We the People" meaning "me and my twelve buddies decided this is right." Doesn't matter what the other 300,000,000 Americans think. This ain't a bird sanctuary anymore 'cause gently caress y'all we got cows to graze.

As I keep saying, its a selfish freedom people like this believe in. I should be able to do anything I want, and anyone like me can also do whatever they want. Anyone else can either become like us or they can gently caress off and die.

So people are tweeting at these knuckleheads with slash fiction
http://www.joemygod.com/2016/01/06/how-about-some-oregon-militia-homoerotic-fan-fiction/

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Enjoy that savage week of being paid to do nothing bird refugee operators

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I like how the Constitution is apparently a grimoire, and if you find the right spell/article, people just have to do whatever you want.

SedanChair posted:

Do you really think that if they blocked the roads, these yokels would get creative and drive their trucks off road, in accordance with the purpose for which they are ostensibly marketed?

I think they would jump at the chance to justify the extra thousands of dollars they spent for 4 wheel drive. Also some of these people really are ranchers and probably actually use their vehicles off road all the time.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Iowa Snow King posted:

The Sheriff wants them to leave so obviously it's not that clear.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

As I keep saying, its a selfish freedom people like this believe in. I should be able to do anything I want, and anyone like me can also do whatever they want. Anyone else can either become like us or they can gently caress off and die.
Are they supposed to be libertarians?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Iowa Snow King posted:

I think it has something to do with the position showing up in the Magna Carta despite meaning something profoundly different.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
With all these steaks being delivered, can we call the federal building Sharm el-Steak now? :v:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Iowa Snow King posted:

Starting in the late 60s, an anti-Semitic group started that named itself Posse Comitatus that introduced this belief into the far-right. They based this on their belief that the sheriff was the oldest form of law enforcement, mentioned in Daniel 3:2 (KJV*) as well as serving the role of judge, keeper of the peace, ministerial officer, and King's bailiff under old English Common Law, which they believe governed the colonies and the constitution cannot override. The job of the King's bailiff was, in part, to collect the tax, so you can see why that's important to them. Additionally, the English Sheriff's Law of 1887 allows the sheriff to effectively raise a lynch mob to arrest any suspected felons, a power whose appeal to right-wing hate groups should be obvious.

* And here we have to remember that there are many who believe the precise translation of the King James Bible was divinely bestowed, meaning that the use of the word "sheriff" to denote members of Nebuchadnezzar's government is the explicit will of God.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Joementum posted:

Starting in the late 60s, an anti-Semitic group started that named itself Posse Comitatus that introduced this belief into the far-right. They based this on their belief that the sheriff was the oldest form of law enforcement, mentioned in Daniel 3:2 (KJV*) as well as serving the role of judge, keeper of the peace, ministerial officer, and King's bailiff under old English Common Law, which they believe governed the colonies and the constitution cannot override. The job of the King's bailiff was, in part, to collect the tax, so you can see why that's important to them. Additionally, the English Sheriff's Law of 1887 allows the sheriff to effectively raise a lynch mob to arrest any suspected felons, a power whose appeal to right-wing hate groups should be obvious.

* And here we have to remember that there are many who believe the precise translation of the King James Bible was divinely bestowed, meaning that the use of the word "sheriff" to denote members of Nebuchadnezzar's government is the explicit will of God.

I kinda guessed it would be something like that.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I just realized, if all they're eating is snack food and four freezers full of meat then they're going to be constipated as hell after a few days.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Wanamingo posted:

I just realized, if all they're eating is snack food and four freezers full of meat then they're going to be constipated as hell after a few days.

Nothing that 5lb bag of sugar-free gummy bears couldn't fix.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wanamingo posted:

this is their ordinary diet, so their bodies are used to it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Wait a minute. Wait just a goddamned minute. You don't get to discount the federal [read: American] government as a "foreign entity" and then call yourself an "American," you loving asshat. If you're a "sovereign citizen," then you're a visitor on American soil, which makes you an immigrant. Do you have paperwork allowing you to be here? I bet not.

Bast Relief posted:

Oh please Chuck Tingle, oh please be inspired by the headlines.

He wasn't, but someone else was:

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Volkerball posted:

this is their ordinary diet, so their bodies are used to it.

Shut off the water mains and enjoy them slowly gassing themselves to death by unflushable toilet.

• Locked thread