Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I usually blow a couple bucks on the full coverage insurance just so I don't have to think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've never been dinged more than a couple bucks in taxes on 'em either, so it usually ends up at something like $16.50 actually on my card.

I guess in all fairness it was one of the dual axle 5x10ish trailers since they didn't have the 5x8 in stock, with insurance and taxes making up the balance. I think I rented a pack of moving blankets on top of that, so I guess my estimate doesn't exactly hold water... But regardless, money adds up fast

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

+1 for the beater truck :q:

Depending on where you live and if the truck is old enough (eg >25 years) you can register it as a historic vehicle, which means you never have to pay annual registration again! Slight technicality being you can only *legally* drive it in parades and club events, but that seems like kind of a fudgible/unenforceable thing if it's not your daily driver. You could always argue that you're taking it to the hardware store's shopper club after all...

Also, I dunno where y'all are getting 15$ trailer rental prices, but last time I got a trailer from Uhaul, it set me back 60$ by the time everything was said and done.

Southern California, which is the only thing that makes the beater truck reasonable - no rust, and tons of them around. Seem to be plenty under $2000, use it for a couple years/projects, still worth $2000. But then those projects never really end.

Edit - drat hole saws are expensive. What else can I make holes in? I feel I need more use than the two deadbolts I'm going to use it for.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 6, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

Southern California, which is the only thing that makes the beater truck reasonable - no rust, and tons of them around. Seem to be plenty under $2000, use it for a couple years/projects, still worth $2000. But then those projects never really end.

Edit - drat hole saws are expensive. What else can I make holes in? I feel I need more use than the two deadbolts I'm going to use it for.

Oh yeah, that's an excellent point--beater trucks have usually depreciated all that they can so you don't lose your shirt on them.

Yeah, I nearly threw up when I saw Milwaukee wanted ~40$ for a single hole saw, not even including the pilot drill bit. Harbor Freight has them much cheaper, and the bi-metal ones have worked out pretty well for everything from plaster/lathe to drilling holes in studs for new wiring.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

For a one time job harbor freight or equivalent holesaws will be fine, for long term repeated use the good ones are worth every penny.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you think hole saws are expensive don't even look at forstner bit prices. They make such awesome clean holes though, even in plastic.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

FogHelmut posted:

Hole saws aren't really that bad, at least the Ice hardened(r)(c)(tm)(sm) ones Milwaukee makes that HD sells. The arbor (there are 2 or 3 sizes) is like 10 or 15 bucks each, and then each holesaw is anywhere from 5 to 15 depending on what size it is.

I own far too many sizes of those holesaws because they take a beating. My 1" (which is about ready to be replaced) has chattered its way through upwards of 8 inches of steel plate at 540rpm and still has a little life left.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The irwin hole saw jig thing for deadbolts/door handles is only like $20 which doesn't seem bad to me.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Buy a good quality mandrel even if you buy cheap hole saws

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
My parents sent me a $40 Sears gift card for Christmas, and I've been debating what to spend it on. Does anyone have any ideas for neat things Sears sells I could use it on? I'm thinking I might just pick up something made by Knipex or Klein, or a set of either the Gearwrench stubby ratcheting wrenches or the flex ones.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

boxen posted:

My parents sent me a $40 Sears gift card for Christmas, and I've been debating what to spend it on. Does anyone have any ideas for neat things Sears sells I could use it on? I'm thinking I might just pick up something made by Knipex or Klein, or a set of either the Gearwrench stubby ratcheting wrenches or the flex ones.

I'd wait until whichever Gearwrench set you like goes on sale, then nab one of each in standard and metric.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

boxen posted:

If you don't have locking socket extensions, things like these are tits (except the old style with the metal release were better imo). But they're super useful for say getting a spark plug socket out of your engine block. I also just bought a leather tool pouch, serpentine belt tool, and AC line splitter there too (for measuring amps with a clamp style meter).

The one near me has a huge selection of mechanics tools, much better than the box stores and almost as good as harbor freight. I'd be shocked if you didn't find something you wanted after walking around a bit.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Raluek posted:

I'd wait until whichever Gearwrench set you like goes on sale, then nab one of each in standard and metric.

This.

Also I recently went back to Sears to replace my lost knipex pliers i bought there when i worked at the auto center 4 years ago. There were like half the tools they used to carry and no knipex. The guy said Id have to order them.. So you might see if you can use that card online.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
In one of the tool or DIY threads someone posted a plastic toolbox with drawers, anyone know what I'm talking about? I searched several threads for the post and can't find it. It was only a week or so ago.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

wormil posted:

In one of the tool or DIY threads someone posted a plastic toolbox with drawers, anyone know what I'm talking about? I searched several threads for the post and can't find it. It was only a week or so ago.

Me!

Uthor posted:

I had one of these (in yellow) for years during apartment living. I fit a ton of hand tools in there in an organized fashion and could carry it if needed (but not much further than to my car).

Waterloo PP-2314BK Specialty Series Plastic/Metal Portable Chest, 3-Drawers, 23-Inch, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DP7VBK/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_ZbvIwbN6W2P2K

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Thank you. That's the funny thing about Amazon: there is so much stuff that doesn't seem to show up in searches unless you use the exact name or right search string. I searched and searched for that box using a variety of words and phrases and it never came up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I found it searching for "Waterloo", which was easy to remember because I own one!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Raluek posted:

Thing is, I already have a set of six each (I think) of SAE and Metric, but they're not flex heads. I can think of situations where either a stub or a flex would have been handy, but I was just wondering if anything else at Sears would be super great. I wandered around a bit last year and picked up a jump-start box.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Are those X2 Crescent long reach pliers at Sears or is it just HD now? I picked up the pair of them and they turn out to be pretty damned handy on a regular basis.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Hypnolobster posted:

Are those X2 Crescent long reach pliers at Sears or is it just HD now? I picked up the pair of them and they turn out to be pretty damned handy on a regular basis.

30 bux w/Prime available http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N9ULHO6/?&th=1

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So my development application for my shed and three decks just got approved, so guess whos shopping for nail guns and an air compressor! :D

Trying to decide between Paslode, Senco and Bostich now, And just how big a compressor I really need.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ferremit posted:

just how big a compressor I really need.
Bigger.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Biggest.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Speaking of air compressors this morning I got the remainder of parts for the EJ25D air compressor SiF and I have been brainstorming. More to come.

Also used my spring hose clamp removal tool for the first time yesterday changing out the Roadmaster's radiator. God drat that tool is worth its weight in gold. The hose hemostats I got are pretty poo poo though, took a bath in used coolant when the lower hose stopped being pinched off. Oh well, it needed a coolant change anyways.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

kastein posted:

Also used my spring hose clamp removal tool for the first time yesterday ...

Which one did you buy?

And anyone know where can I get those spring clamps in various sizes? I prefer them to regular worm drive clamps (jubilee clips, as my FIL calls them)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

jhcain posted:

Which one did you buy?

And anyone know where can I get those spring clamps in various sizes? I prefer them to regular worm drive clamps (jubilee clips, as my FIL calls them)

This one right here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F5JM0O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Saved me from quite a few skinned knuckles and heartfelt curses yesterday.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

kastein posted:

This one right here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F5JM0O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Saved me from quite a few skinned knuckles and heartfelt curses yesterday.

Ordered. Thanks!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got the Astro Pneumatic version of it, which is probably drat near identical. It's a loving lifesaver.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ferremit posted:

So my development application for my shed and three decks just got approved, so guess whos shopping for nail guns and an air compressor! :D

Trying to decide between Paslode, Senco and Bostich now, And just how big a compressor I really need.

Most 30 gallon belt driven compressors are around 5.5-6 CFM at 90lbs, which is pretty much the bare minimum to do most automotive projects with out the compressor constantly cycling. Most 60 gallons are pushing around 11 CFM at 90lbs which is what you will need to continuously run sanders and die grinders. You can run a die grinder or sander on a 30 gallon, just take breaks as you go along - which when I did body work - wasn't that bad, you will end up checking your work as you go along, so waiting for the compressor to fill isn't the end of the world.

Also, once you hit the 30+ gallon sized compressors, you need to think about 220v. Also watch the duty cycle on the motors. Some brands will claim all sorts of poo poo, but have a 50-75% duty cycle, which sucks dick. 100% duty cycle is a requirement. Expect to spend around 350-400 for a good compressor.

But even with mine running 30 gallons and 220V service, I am looking to upgrade to a 60 gallon eventually.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im in Aus, so 220v is already standard, and if im particuarly stupid i can get 415v 3 phase out to the shed which opens all sorts of wonderful possibilities!

Ended up with a 9CFM compressor with a 2.5HP motor and a 50L tank. Its not a huge tank, only around 13 Gallon, but the 30 gallon units are around $900 and this was only $460. I do have a trick up my sleeve involving a pressure test expired 90L LPG cylinder from a car which would give me 140L of air capacity which should be ok.

And i bought a Paslode F350S framing nailer. Figured you couldnt go wrong with a paslode gun and when it was a $550 framing nailer that had a bottle of lube ($30) and a 30m air hose ($100) on sale for $419, i couldnt go wrong!

Except the air hose was out of stock and needs to come in, and i didnt buy any nails, so i cant even shoot anything with it today :(

The compressor being on wheels is good, because it means I can transport it for when i build poo poo for friends to help justify the cost of the nailgun, but also be bolted down in a lean too off the back of the shed to supply that. Whole sheds getting plumbed for shop air too.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
So I totally stripped down my electric impact, trying to find why it no longer stops right away when you release the trigger.

I should have taken more pictures of the planetary gearset and the hammer case - it is really cool in there.

The trigger is quite well sealed, so I can't get inside to clean the contacts. This trigger assembly I can find online for $90-$120. That just seems like a LOT.

There are more photos in the album: http://imgur.com/a/X6seM

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to find a basic shop light for my dad, the kind you hook onto a hood when working on a car. He has an old Halogen light and I thought surely I could find an LED replacement on amazon for ~20 bucks.

How does this look? Or can someone else recommend anything else? I'm looking to spend up to up to about 30 bucks; it just needs to be enough to see what you're doing on the car, not light up a whole room.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I bought one of these on sale back in September, I've been very happy with it. Gives a good, wide field of light instead of a tight focused beam like a lot of LED lights I've seen/used in the past. Battery seems to last forever too.

I got it for $35 on sale but it's easily worth the regular $50 price.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm trying to find a basic shop light for my dad, the kind you hook onto a hood when working on a car. He has an old Halogen light and I thought surely I could find an LED replacement on amazon for ~20 bucks.

How does this look? Or can someone else recommend anything else? I'm looking to spend up to up to about 30 bucks; it just needs to be enough to see what you're doing on the car, not light up a whole room.

The light output from that will suck major balls. Look for something rated in the 10-20 watt department using a chip on board style LED, like these;

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCL050-Hand-Held-Light/dp/B00KWRM78E/ref=sr_1_33?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1452475628&sr=1-33&keywords=led+work+light (note, this doesn't come with a battery or charger)

http://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Ca...=led+work+light

http://www.amazon.com/Alert-Stampin...=led+work+light

Generally you can presume their light output is, in actuality, around 2/3 of whatever they're rated for. I highly recommend buying whatever LED work light his favorite cordless power tool company makes, nearly all of those I've seen work really well.

That summit unit looks pretty good, actually, but I definitely wouldn't pay full price for it. It uses high-power SMD LEDs, which also work - but avoid anything which has regular 5mm encapsulated LEDs like the plague; they're almost all dim as gently caress.

Edit: noticed the price range, I have more suggestions!

http://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-...ts=p_36%3A-3500

http://www.amazon.com/6306-Flashlig...ts=p_36%3A-3500

slightly expensive snap-on: http://www.amazon.com/Snap-922261-2000-Lumens-Light/dp/B00OJOCDJO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1452475945&sr=1-1&keywords=led+worklight

This looks pretty good but is 40 bux http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Cord...s=led+worklight

Might I also suggest a Fenix LED headlamp as opposed to a work light? They're absurdly bright these days and ridiculously useful, but for some reason nobody thinks to use them for working on cars.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 11, 2016

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

literally a fish posted:

Might I also suggest a Fenix LED headlamp as opposed to a work light? They're absurdly bright these days and ridiculously useful, but for some reason nobody thinks to use them for working on cars.

This is seriously awesome. I like having a drop light to light up an area and headlamp to focus while using my hands.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Keep an eye out for these at Costco. I don't remember what I paid, but I think it was $20ish. I bought a couple of them. They work well.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 4, 2020

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

0toShifty posted:

So I totally stripped down my electric impact, trying to find why it no longer stops right away when you release the trigger.

I should have taken more pictures of the planetary gearset and the hammer case - it is really cool in there.

The trigger is quite well sealed, so I can't get inside to clean the contacts. This trigger assembly I can find online for $90-$120. That just seems like a LOT.

There are more photos in the album: http://imgur.com/a/X6seM

I meant to reply to this sooner, sorry.

The reason why the trigger assembly is ~$100 is because it contains a fairly sophisticated motor speed controller (as you can see, there's no other electronics in the drill)

The way it brakes the motor is to short circuit the motor's power terminals when power is off; this means there's a diode or transistor of some kind buried inside the (likely epoxy-filled) trigger module that's not doing what it ought to do.
In other words, you have no option but to replace the trigger module, replace the impact, or live with it. Such is life in our increasingly-integrated world.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

0toShifty posted:

Here's a couple of my Milwaukee, they're probably pretty similar:

If you end up trashing the trigger anyway, might as well try opening it, though like said above it's likely all the bits are potted somehow. You might be lucky and it's just some kind of silicone that you can peel off, since that doesn't look like epoxy leaking out the edges. Looks like all you have to do is pry off that heatsink, which seems to be sandwiching everything into the trigger case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

fknlo posted:

Keep an eye out for these at Costco. I don't remember what I paid, but I think it was $20ish. I bought a couple of them. They work well.

Mine has had them consistently for $25-$30. And yeah they work drat well.