Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Unambiguously the best thing to ever come out of the prequel trilogy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0qH2IaSjEU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

The real question is why wouldn't there be a diner in Star Wars?

well you see because diners are a specific american thing due to the following economic circumstanc--*long fart noise*

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

You know it always amazes me that they gave that hat and beard to Watto and no one in Lucasarts looked at it and said 'This could really really be taken wrong.'

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Neurolimal posted:

and as far as I can recall is the only piece of EU where Lucasarts has stated "no, that's not canon"

Nah; the plot of KotOR II is just like any other video game. The plot was C-canon, certain game mechanics and gameplay conveniences are not.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Phylodox posted:

I like Dance 66 better but they don't have a separate video for it, just the song with background. You gotta watch episode III to catch it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lord Hydronium posted:

:doh: Between this and the Obi-Wan thing, the more I read about the RLM videos, the more the decision not to watch them seems like a good idea.

The RLM videos are very good for what they are - an average fan talking about bad films that we all had high expectations for, filled with funny and bizarre jokes/subplots about an old serial killer.

Good insight on films is hard to come by, because the average film critic online or working for a newspaper ranges from autistic to tone deaf, and the best critic we had recently died.

RLM shines at pointing out stuff like why the Watto/Qui-Gon bet was retarded as hell as a plot device, but the most it gets into actual film critique is explaining antagonist vs. protagonist, and it even makes a joke out of that. It probably does less in the way of explaining why it's a bad film, but more why it's not a film Star Wars fans enjoyed or wanted.

The end of the review of Revenge of the Sith does do a really neat job of creating a little sequence of clips with all of the film crew giving sideway/second-guessing looks to George's comments.

If you watch Half in the Bag (and I sometimes do), that shows what they are: a couple of guys sitting around with beer making nerdy jokes about movies, and each having different or similar opinions about why they did or didn't like it.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I got two minutes into the first rlm review and that was about as much as i could take

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I liked a lot of the background music RLM used. Anyone have a list of the tracks?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gorelab posted:

You know it always amazes me that they gave that hat and beard to Watto and no one in Lucasarts looked at it and said 'This could really really be taken wrong.'

I like the prequels quite a bit, and while I'm not on the racism train for Jar Jar or the Neimoidians, I really think they should have gone in a different direction for Watto.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Gorelab posted:

It's the same thing as calling Episode II "Jar Jar's Big Adventure" during production.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Jokes on you, they already had a book. They're just making a cameo on TFA.

I wanna read this one based just on the title. I just hope its as cheesily pulpy as the title suggests. :allears:

It's mindblowing to me that this isn't a photoshop.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Wattos characterisation is too obvious not to be deliberate

Red
Apr 15, 2003

corn in the fridge posted:

Well, Lucas had some pretty rough experiences with getting the OT financed. Maybe that was his way of Striking Back.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

I want to get back to diner-chat.

Diners were in fact adapted from dining-car technology - the cars that would feed people on long haul trains could be parked and used to cook just as well from a stable position. They were easy to make and pre-fabricated. But modern day diners exist and are widespread, both in the form of garbage chains like IHOP and Denny's, and a robust culture of Greek immigrants slinging you a wide range of hash with table service, free coffee refills, and moderate prices throughout the Northeastern US.

A diner is the exact kind of place where a cop would go, and Obi-Wan is clearly, in Ep II, presented as Jedi Cop.

Get out of here with your anti-diner agenda in the Star Wars thread!

An Obi-Wan procedural crime drama would've given Lucas so many more opportunities to stick in clever mid-century references and stereotypical accents.

Obi-Wan in a fedora!

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Red posted:

Well, Lucas had some pretty rough experiences with getting the OT financed. Maybe that was his way of Striking Back.

One of the producers would only finance the film if he was given a cameo appearance :D

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope Ben was like "I need a bad rear end name that acknowledges yet spits on both of my families' legacies" and gets Kylo from mashing Skywalker and Solo together but taking out the letters he didn't like.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

An Obi-Wan procedural crime drama would've given Lucas so many more opportunities to stick in clever mid-century references and stereotypical accents.

Obi-Wan in a fedora!

I'm not sure. I don't think lightsabers would make Poirot more exciting.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Jokes on you, they already had a book. They're just making a cameo on TFA.

I wanna read this one based just on the title. I just hope its as cheesily pulpy as the title suggests. :allears:

This looks awesome. Of all these little tie-in books this one seems to be the most interesting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Too obvious as what? A bug alien?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

berserker posted:

This is just yet another of the stupid loving additions that George never really quite thought out the consequences of. Before this revelation, we all got to enjoy the idea that anyone who is a good person at heart and force sensitive well get to live on in a kind of afterlife, as a part of the force. But no, turns out that for tens of thousands of years all of the Jedi who ever died went to oblivion forever and it was just Qui Gonn who happened to figure out this SUPER IMPORTANT key thing, just in time for Obi Wan to be able to learn it so he can help out Luke 30 years later!

Nope, everyone, whether they're strong in the Force or not, does become one with the Force when they die. That's why Yoda tells Anakin not to mourn Padme, because she'll be becoming one with the Force. What makes Qui Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin is special is simply that they're capable of retaining their consciousness after death. Considering Vader was formerly a Jedi but he still seemed mystified by Obi-Wan's disappearance in the first movie, it was always suggestive of the idea that it was something special. Honestly, it works better that way, as the product of Jedi who reach some form of enlightenment in the Force, rather than just something that anyone strong in the Force can do. It'd raise a lot of questions about why there's not an army of Jedi and Sith ghosts giving council to the living ones, for a start.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Greg Gruenberg supposed to be a Porkins callback? He's the son of Porkins?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

He's Porkins but with a plain old dumb name (rather than a funny dumb name): Snap Wexley.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

euphronius posted:

Too obvious as what? A bug alien?

Lol it appears I was mistaken http://www.jewornotjew.com/profile.jsp?ID=122

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

He definitely is. I was just waiting for him to go down so i could whisper to myself "NOO PORKINS!!"

I got two minutes into the first rlm review and that was about as much as i could take

Even if you don't like RLM you should watch the video where they take the piss out of lovely expanded universe autism over Vader's suit. It's good.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 7, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
RLM are good, funny, guys. Just like most internet critics they're amateurs, but with a bit more knowledge and background from film school. They're not right or wrong about everything but generally are pretty likable and funny.

Their Sandler takedowns and Best of the Worst are my favorite in particular, and I love all their Star Wars clickbait videos.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Phylodox posted:

word

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've never heard of Auralnauts and I'm watching Ep 1 Jedi Party. Holy poo poo this is hilarious.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've never heard of Auralnauts and I'm watching Ep 1 Jedi Party. Holy poo poo this is hilarious.

Keep going, watch them all. There's 3 more.
Everybody needs a Zima.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Another interesting thing I just thought about on Jakku vs Tattooine.

On Tattooine everybody has a blaster. On Jakku nobody does, except for Lor San Tekka's 'peaceful' settlement.

All the junk salvagers have only melee weapons at best, thugs sent after Rey aren't armed at all, Finn can't find a blaster in a tent full of junk when everywhere else in the galaxy they seem ubiquitous. Not even the presumably boss of the place has a blaster to defend his property.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

hemale in pain posted:

Even if you don't like RLM you should watch the video where they take the piss out of lovely expanded universe autism over Vader's suit. It's good.

Maybe if he did his reviews in a normal voice and skipped over the insanely funny ex-wife jokes it would be worth listening to, but at that point he'd probably just sound like some sad nerd sperging about star wars

Red
Apr 15, 2003

greatn posted:

Another interesting thing I just thought about on Jakku vs Tattooine.

On Tattooine everybody has a blaster. On Jakku nobody does, except for Lor San Tekka's 'peaceful' settlement.

All the junk salvagers have only melee weapons at best, thugs sent after Rey aren't armed at all, Finn can't find a blaster in a tent full of junk when everywhere else in the galaxy they seem ubiquitous. Not even the presumably boss of the place has a blaster to defend his property.

This is on purpose. Remember that Jakku is a graveyard for the Galactic Civil War - everyone's already "dead". The Falcon was put to rest there, and tons of Imperial crap is just rusting away. No one has the ability to kill, as this would be redundant.

Rey was left for dead

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

hemale in pain posted:

He definitely is. I was just waiting for him to go down so i could whisper to myself "NOO PORKINS!!"

Instead we lost Ello "Born to Ill" Asty to a lame death. :(

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For me, the '50s diner was silly because it seemed like instead of creating a weird alien analogue for the "detective getting info from an informant in a sleazy diner" scene, they literally just did the stereotypical scene, but replaced the characters with a Jedi and an alien guy. It was more like The Fifth Element, where it's actually supposed to be an alien-ized version of Earth.

I can't objectively say that's a flaw of the film, I just didn't like it, for that reason.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Obi-Wans first thoughts on Anakin.
'why do I get the feeling we have picked up another pathetic life form?'

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
People forget that pathetic means "arousing pity or sadness" and not "you are stupid because of how dumb you are"

If a child slave isn't pathetic, I don't know what is.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sir Lemming posted:

For me, the '50s diner was silly because it seemed like instead of creating a weird alien analogue for the "detective getting info from an informant in a sleazy diner" scene, they literally just did the stereotypical scene, but replaced the characters with a Jedi and an alien guy. It was more like The Fifth Element, where it's actually supposed to be an alien-ized version of Earth.

Coruscant is an alien-ized version of Earth. They have cars driving around on streets, crappy franchise sports bars, and Cirque Du Soleil.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"From my point of view the Jedi are evil!"
This line wouldn't have been so hokey if the films were more on the nose about how inept the jedi were.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

People forget that pathetic means "arousing pity or sadness" and not "you are stupid because of how dumb you are"

If a child slave isn't pathetic, I don't know what is.

That doesn't mean Obi-Wan Ben Larry Steve Kenobi wasn't saying it in a negative way: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tone+of+voice

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

the trump tutelage posted:

This line wouldn't have been so hokey if the films were more on the nose about how inept the jedi were.

It's hard to be more on the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

computer parts posted:

It's hard to be more on the nose.
In retrospect maybe. I don't think many people were sitting in the theater connecting the dots.

Lucas could have done more than work the tension between the Jedi's stated ideals and their reality into the script, or have someone other than whiny fuckboy Anakin point it out. It was too coy if it was intentional at all.

• Locked thread