Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Solar isn't the solution. The free market will just keep slapping charge after tarrif after access fee until it becomes a similar cash cow. We are all doomed because capitalists never want to lose profit therefore they will make renewables just as expensive just to emulate previous cash cows and gently caress you. Energex in Queensland is pulling this shot and now electric companies charge you for having panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Strap the capitalists to the blades of windmills, imo

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

EXAKT Science posted:

Strap the capitalists to the blades of windmills, imo

I wonder what the energy storage capacity of molten capitalists is compared to molten salts.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Anidav posted:

We are all doomed because capitalists never want to lose profit therefore they will make renewables just as expensive just to emulate previous cash cows and gently caress you.

It's worse than that. It's not about losing profits, it's about losing increasing profits.

Last year we made $10million and this year we only made $12million? Not good enough :argh:

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

GoldStandardConure posted:

I might be wrong but I think this is one of the things that QM is working on in his regional group.

Yeah I believe there is currently a strong effort to change this in NSW at least. Which as a member I support.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Hunter Water have a coupe of great pics to show just how much rain they've got up that way

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

Birb Katter posted:

Hunter Water have a coupe of great pics to show just how much rain they've got up that way

Wow

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Birb Katter posted:

:perfect:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Anidav posted:

Solar isn't the solution. The free market will just keep slapping charge after tarrif after access fee until it becomes a similar cash cow. We are all doomed because capitalists never want to lose profit therefore they will make renewables just as expensive just to emulate previous cash cows and gently caress you. Energex in Queensland is pulling this shot and now electric companies charge you for having panels.

Time to go off-grid and worship the 'good capitalists' like Elon Musk.

I know which side I'll be on in the capital wars (the side with self landing rockets)

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Never change Transfield....

quote:

Managers at the Manus Island detention centre have been accused of flying an employee out of Papua New Guinea to avoid the country’s justice system after he allegedly robbed a local bar before driving off and crashing his car.

Last year there were accusations of a cover-up after three Australian men accused of raping a Papua New Guinean colleague were flown back to Australia before they could face police.

The latest incident occurred about four weeks ago at the Harbourside hotel in Lorengau about 2pm. Witnesses said the man, who had been at the hotel since that morning, jumped over the bar and stole beer and a carton of cigarettes.

He then drove off towards Lombrum, narrowly missing a police vehicle which had responded to reports of a reckless driver, before running off the road, they said. Witnesses told police he got out of the car and began walking back towards the Lorengau base, which houses the processing centre.

The man is employed by Wilson Security, the company subcontracted by Australian immigration department contractors Broadspectrum (formerly Transfield) to provide security at the detention centre.

Guardian Australia was told when police went to the Australian-run centre to question the man, they were informed by staff members – thought to be a manager and a medical practitioner – that the man was in hospital, but he would see police the following day. He was flown back to Australia before that could happen, it is alleged.

A spokesman for the Australian immigration department confirmed the flight but said it had been advised no charges were laid and no criminal investigation was under way.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jan/08/manus-detention-centre-bosses-accused-flying-out-employee-who-allegedly-robbed-bar

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Being above the law sounds fun.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The government does not discuss on-rape matters.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-456894491/050116-nye-starwarstfabashed-on-gas-busted-trolling-snake-eyez-training-dazeremix

Hot off the presses its a brand new ep of the Conez and Doh show: we discuss the triggering gender politics of Star Wars, argue about Chris Gayle and legal issues surrounding social media threats and satire, my encounter with the cops, doh gets beaten up with a hard hat on, the gender politics of happy meals

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
more like conezzz and doze show

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Birdstrike posted:

more like conezzz and doze show

Haha not bad

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Am I too late to talk about how the one big problem I have with the Greens is their oppostion to nuclear power and GMOs, and that I hope di Natale's stance leads to some kind of reevaulation of that? It's such a terrifyingly Luddite position, the idea of cutting off useful avenues of technology that can power cities, save lives, and fight climate change because they don't fit in with a Romantic, Naturalist view of the world. I still vote Green because of refugees, but it's such a huge blindspot, and one that is even more terrifying in a country as isolated as Australia.

Is there a concentrated push by skeptics to back Di Natale? Should I start one?

This was on the front page of The Australian: http://www.stockandland.com.au/story/3639064/greens-mull-rethink-on-gm-crop-policy/?src=rss

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 8, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
OMG Count Chocula is back.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Jumpingmanjim posted:

OMG Count Chocula is back.

Tan and rested from a summer at the beach!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Watch out for dem sharks

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Count Chocula posted:

Am I too late to talk about how the one big problem I have with the Greens is their oppostion to nuclear power and GMOs, and that I hope di Natale's stance leads to some kind of reevaulation of that? It's such a terrifyingly Luddite position, the idea of cutting off useful avenues of technology that can power cities, save lives, and fight climate change because they don't fit in with a Romantic, Naturalist view of the world. I still vote Green because of refugees, but it's such a huge blindspot, and one that is even more terrifying in a country as isolated as Australia.

Is there a concentrated push by skeptics to back Di Natale? Should I start one?

This was on the front page of The Australian: http://www.stockandland.com.au/story/3639064/greens-mull-rethink-on-gm-crop-policy/?src=rss

Have you considered joining the party so you can bring these issues up at your regional group?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

GoldStandardConure posted:

Have you considered joining the party so you can bring these issues up at your regional group?

I don't want to be an arrogant gadfly and distract them from more important issues like refugees and women's rights, though I will look into it since my area is a hotbed of Green activity.

BTW, which AusPol members have been putting up anti-facist posters in my neighborhood with the Ninja Turtles, Betty Boop, Garfield and other icons? And which of you is hosting the forum on the Very Relevant Issue of Trotsky's assasination?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Only about the laws of poors living on poo poo island.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Watch out for dem sharks

At least sharks are obvious; I'm super paranoid about avoiding bluebottles, though given how many of them there are and how often I go to the beach it's only a matter of time before I taste the Bluebottle Kiss.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its fine I got stung and I only had partial paralysis

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
you're wrong about nuclear and the fact that you've paired it with gmos is a dead giveaway that you're mostly a fan because of the bizarre first world nerd fetishisation of science and new technology as a substitute for religion and australia will never need and should never use nuclear power

hth

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

you're wrong about nuclear and the fact that you've paired it with gmos is a dead giveaway that you're mostly a fan because of the bizarre first world nerd fetishisation of science and new technology as a substitute for religion and australia will never need and should never use nuclear power

hth

Nuclear has been proven safe in 99% of cases, and it's clean and efficient energy that will actually address climate change. And it's not 'bizarre first world nerd fetishisation of science' - people in the first world are the ones fighting against GMOs that help feed the 3rd world and vaccinations that free us from disease (see how the biggest number of anti-vaxxers are found in suburbs like Bondi).

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Count Chocula posted:

At least sharks are obvious; I'm super paranoid about avoiding bluebottles, though given how many of them there are and how often I go to the beach it's only a matter of time before I taste the Bluebottle Kiss.

As someone who has been hit by a blue bottle and a sea urchin, the sea urchin was way worse. Doctor digging around in my foot for ages getting all the snapped of spines out.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
My recollection is that it was like a wasp sting that lasts longer. Bluebottles wasn't that bad.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Birb Katter posted:

As someone who has been hit by a blue bottle and a sea urchin, the sea urchin was way worse. Doctor digging around in my foot for ages getting all the snapped of spines out.

That happened to me, too. I believed the Internet that I just needed to soak my foot in vinegar. After 2 months of that, a doctor needed to anesthesize my foot and get the inch-long spine out.

So now I know I can handle a bluebottle since it won't be as bad, thanks!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Anidav posted:

It almost makes me wish I was a horrible person, it sounds like being a monster has great job security.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
orkin mang let's be friends

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

hth

Agree with you about power, but what are your views on nuclear medicines?

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 8, 2016

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Count Chocula posted:

Nuclear has been proven safe in 99% of cases, and it's clean and efficient energy that will actually address climate change.

All of this is true, and yet its still not a good choice for Australia.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

uranium mining is very clean yes

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Arent bluebottles more a case of 'the wind blew a bunch of them in from sea' rather than rogue singular ones floating around waiting to sting you?

I only ever see them washed up in the hundreds/thousands. rarely do I see just one.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

My recollection is that it was like a wasp sting that lasts longer. Bluebottles wasn't that bad.

Slightly less painful but longer lasting wasp stings (usually 8-10 in a line) is my experience of them as well.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
We're using half-century old coal burners, hooked up to grids so worthless that not even WA can shill them to the nearest bidder, pumping juice to homes that produce half their total power bill just by having a roof with blue panels on it. Where do you see nuclear in that equation today? Where do you see nuclear in that equation 50 years from now? Where would the money to produce this stuff come from?

Not not even that it's not right for Australia, its that the ship has sailed. If the situation had been different in the 50s and 60s maybe we would have nuclear today, but the time has passed and renewables can currently fill the gap while we're on the cusp of fusion.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Frogfingers posted:

We're using half-century old coal burners, hooked up to grids so worthless that not even WA can shill them to the nearest bidder, pumping juice to homes that produce half their total power bill just by having a roof with blue panels on it. Where do you see nuclear in that equation today? Where do you see nuclear in that equation 50 years from now? Where would the money to produce this stuff come from?

Not not even that it's not right for Australia, its that the ship has sailed. If the situation had been different in the 50s and 60s maybe we would have nuclear today, but the time has passed and renewables can currently fill the gap while we're on the cusp of fusion.

drat, and you were going so well.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Frogfingers posted:

now who's delusional

hint: it's you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Think of the people running our energy industries right now and now think about them running nuclear.

• Locked thread