Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Eh, the sky didn't fall in on France during four decades of Gaullo-Mitterandism, and it'd be hard to say France has gotten safer since they rejoined. A country's NATO membership is of no moment to the radical Islamists who remain the unifying threat, and leaving the organization relieves us of the obligation to defend an idiot like Ergodan when he's shooting Kurds and buying ISIS oil at the same time as getting into a dick-waving contest with Putin.

Of course this will be drowned out by the usual THREAT TO NATIONAL SECURITY chorus, but there were are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Possibly becoming aware that blaming the oncoming financial crash on Labour won't work this time, Osborne is getting in the "it's literally everyone else's fault except ours" excuses early.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/07/george-osborne-warns-uk-economy-faces-cocktail-of-threats

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The upcoming housing bust is going to be caused from all the foreign investors flooding out of the market. Well its going to be a bust in London, the rest of the UK should survive pretty well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

In a clear swipe at Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour party, Osborne said ahead of the speech: “Our antidote is to go on putting our own house in order here in Britain, so, far from ‘mission accomplished’ on the economy, 2016 is the year of ‘mission critical’.”
Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour party did the Iraq War.

RobotNinjaHornets
Dec 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

It just gets better and better

In response to Andrew Neil asking if he favoured leaving NATO. And followed up with "I don't think it's a particularly big issue"

RobotNinjaHornets fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 7, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

serious gaylord posted:

The upcoming housing bust is going to be caused from all the foreign investors flooding out of the market. Well its going to be a bust in London, the rest of the UK should survive pretty well.

Burn London to the ground imo.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Eh, the sky didn't fall in on France during four decades of Gaullo-Mitterandism, and it'd be hard to say France has gotten safer since they rejoined. A country's NATO membership is of no moment to the radical Islamists who remain the unifying threat, and leaving the organization relieves us of the obligation to defend an idiot like Ergodan when he's shooting Kurds and buying ISIS oil at the same time as getting into a dick-waving contest with Putin.

Of course this will be drowned out by the usual THREAT TO NATIONAL SECURITY chorus, but there were are.

Mmm, I think the prospect of a Nato/Russia conflict does exist, and that the UK leaving Nato would make that conflict more likely to occur. I've no idea to what degree either of those two things is true, but it seems more pertinent to a discussion of whether we should be in the thing than either ISIS or Ergodan do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ddraig posted:

Burn London to the ground imo.
The last time someone tried that we got the NHS. And the time before we almost got a sensible street plan. This actually seems like a good idea.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

The last time someone tried that we got the NHS. And the time before we almost got a sensible street plan. This actually seems like a good idea.

I believe they call it "creative destruction" or "productive consumption". I'll get my jerry-can.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The current government are masters of the broken windows theory of economic stimulus. As long as it's other people's windows. And other people's money.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

vegetables posted:

Mmm, I think the prospect of a Nato/Russia conflict does exist, and that the UK leaving Nato would make that conflict more likely to occur. I've no idea to what degree either of those two things is true, but it seems more pertinent to a discussion of whether we should be in the thing than either ISIS or Ergodan do.

I don't particularly want a fight with Russia to be honest. Bit attached to not tasting napalm.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

StoneOfShame posted:

He's Ken Livingstone, he's massively self important and for good or bad will never be capable of shutting the gently caress up. I dont like NATO and in my ideal world would leave it but lets be fair its probably not going to happen and even mentioning talking about is the sort of thing that's gonna get Labour crucified in the press so maybe it would be a good idea for them to be a bit savvy and not go on about it anymore.

The biggest mistake Jeremy Corbyn has made is not shutting Ken Livingstone the gently caress up. The man is constantly saying poo poo to grab headlines. And elevating him to some position on his policy team. Which was loving bewildering. I get he's a rare prominent name in supporting Corbyn but he's also a loving PR disaster every time he opens his gob. Which as you say, he is physically incapable of keeping shut.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I vote for a live TV debate between him and Galloway so he can come out looking reasonable.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I believe the appointment to an NEC position was outside of Corbyn's control, actually.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I believe the appointment to an NEC position was outside of Corbyn's control, actually.

I think you're right. But it was still dumb, whoever the gently caress was responsible. Someone appointed him & needs to take a look at themselves

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

forkboy84 posted:

Someone appointed him & needs to take a look at themselves

And shoot themselves.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

vegetables posted:

If Russia got into a shooting war with any of the bordering nations in the EU the UK would still be obligated to intervene through the EU mutual defence clause.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kustomkarkommando posted:

If Russia got into a shooting war with any of the bordering nations in the EU the UK would still be obligated to intervene through the EU mutual defence clause.

Fortunately, though, that doesn't include Turkey.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I think you're right. But it was still dumb, whoever the gently caress was responsible. Someone appointed him & needs to take a look at themselves

The NEC is elected.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Latest YouGov puts Sadiq Khan a good bit ahead for London Mayor.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/01/07/sadiq-khan-increases-lead-london-mayoral-election/

quote:

Khan is up to 31% from 26% in November, bringing his lead up to seven from two in November. Zac Goldsmith (24%) is unchanged since November – Khan's increased share has come from those previously saying they would not vote or did not know who they would vote for.

Turns out trying to point out he's a "Muslim" in the "Radical" Labour party did not go unnoticed as the bullshit it was.

Be interested to see what he does about London Housing if he does win since that's what he ran on, because gently caress if I know how you could possibly fix London's housing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

feedmegin posted:

The NEC is elected.
OK, so Ken Livingstone was elected by constituency Labour parties, so they are who is to blame. But I was mostly wondering about who appointed him to the Defence Review. Which seems to have catapulted him back into the spotlight.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Fans posted:

Be interested to see what he does about London Housing if he does win since that's what he ran on, because gently caress if I know how you could possibly fix London's housing.

Tax all properties left empty for over X amount of days at 1% of the total value a month.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fans posted:

gently caress if I know how you could possibly fix London's housing.

Lots of petrol bombs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Subsidize squatting.

(The subsidies in this case going to the squatters and not the landowners.)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Begin investigating and prosecuting people for money laundering and redistribute the seized assets as council flats.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Also ban the ownership of any UK property by trusts outside of the UK, require each trust to identify the owner of any property and ban the sales of uk property by trusts outside the UK to other trusts outside the UK whilst you're busy banning things. And then privatise the Land Registry.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Fans posted:

because gently caress if I know how you could possibly fix London's housing.

Trident.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Fans posted:

With a hammer (and sickle?)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Good suggestions all. But don't think any are within the mayor's power sadly

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

forkboy84 posted:

The biggest mistake Jeremy Corbyn has made is not shutting Ken Livingstone the gently caress up. The man is constantly saying poo poo to grab headlines. And elevating him to some position on his policy team. Which was loving bewildering. I get he's a rare prominent name in supporting Corbyn but he's also a loving PR disaster every time he opens his gob. Which as you say, he is physically incapable of keeping shut.

Like Galloway and Abbott , Livingstone falls into that part of the British left that are as interested in shameless self promotion as they are in pushing the left forward, he really needs to shut the gently caress up, maybe someone should start a petition to Corbyn.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Shutting up Ken Livingstone is never going to happen. The mere attempt would just encourage him and I don’t think Corbyn’s any good with an ice pick.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Watson would do it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Total Meatlove posted:

Tax all properties left empty for over X amount of days at 1% of the total value a month.

Impossible to enforce.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cerv posted:

He's over 18 isn't he? He can buy petrol.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Cerv posted:

Urban expansion isn't impossible - if Cardiff's local authorities can get their poo poo together to build a new suburb with 20,000 homes, I don't see why a motivated Mayor of London couldn't do something similar.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
With all this talk about petrol bombing London (I'm kinda for it), is the entire thread on watchlists? Am I on a watchlist for buying hydrogen peroxide for making my consoles white again, because that'd be dumb :(

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Poison Jam posted:

With all this talk about petrol bombing London (I'm kinda for it), is the entire thread on watchlists? Am I on a watchlist for buying hydrogen peroxide for making my consoles white again, because that'd be dumb :(

Did you remember to cover your beard when buying it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Poison Jam posted:

Yes, peroxide bleaches things via a well known radical group.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Urban expansion isn't impossible - if Cardiff's local authorities can get their poo poo together to build a new suburb with 20,000 homes, I don't see why a motivated Mayor of London couldn't do something similar.

Cardiff isn't surrounded by protected greenbelt land, land is also much cheaper, and there's a hundred other complicating factors involved in preventing London urban sprawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fans posted:

Latest YouGov puts Sadiq Khan a good bit ahead for London Mayor.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/01/07/sadiq-khan-increases-lead-london-mayoral-election/

Turns out trying to point out he's a "Muslim" in the "Radical" Labour party did not go unnoticed as the bullshit it was.

promising to freeze public transport fares has probably gone some way to boost this

• Locked thread