Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Amethyst posted:

Hmmm I never found docking particularly hard. Are you using your lateral and up/down thrusters?

Like, when you are fairly close to the landing pad, your throttle should be at 0%, starting out. then just gently maneuver with those secondary thrusters. After a while it should be a piece of cake.
Yep, this is the trick to docking easily. I go full tilt at the mailslot of the station using boost, throttle down to zero, extend landing gear for additional drag (and so I don't have to remember to do it later) and then use the manoeuvring thrusters to actually land the ship.

This was working great until I bought the Imperial Cutter which can't get through the mailslot with the landing gear down :downs:

e: if you're using M/KB I'd recommend binding your thrusters so they're set up like an FPS with W as forward thrust, S as reverse thrust, A/D as horizontal thrust and then I have C for down and space for up. I use a HOTAS but I still find it easier to swap from the throttle to the keyboard when landing (although I still use the joystick at all times) rather than using the hats on the throttle for thrusters. It's all going to be down to personal preference, though.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I find that pitch/roll on mouse works really well as long as you decrease the sensitivity a ton and increase the deadzone a bunch. Then map WSAD to the lateral/forward/backward thrusters, Q/E to yaw and SPACE/SHIFT to the up/down thrusters. I generally only use yaw to make minor adjustments and having analog roll seems way more useful in most situations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

With KB+M you really have to move some bindings around to make the game feel really good. The rest is practice. Roll is the ship rotating in place. Yaw is the ship turning left and right.

Protips?

e: drat all these posts just show I'm in over my head. All I want to do is fly around in space. :(

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

X-Ultron posted:

I find that pitch/roll on mouse works really well as long as you decrease the sensitivity a ton and increase the deadzone a bunch. Then map WSAD to the lateral/forward/backward thrusters, Q/E to yaw and SPACE/SHIFT to the up/down thrusters. I generally only use yaw to make minor adjustments and having analog roll seems way more useful in most situations.
Yeah, this is really similar to how I was doing stuff before I bought a HOTAS. I think I had the mouse X axis as yaw and had yaw into roll turned on but your way sounds a bit better, especially given that Frontier intends for you to use roll and pitch to turn rather than yaw (hence the slow yaw rate).

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Docking got 100% easier after I assigned W/S to be thrusders Up/Down and A/D the strafe thrusters. Q and E are roll, mouse covers yaw and pitch.
Turn off yaw into roll as that just makes things complicated.

With that you just fly into the docking range and just nudge the ship into position (watch the red dot lining up on the circle not the ship) using the throttle to push it backwards and forwards when needed.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Barreft posted:

Protips?

e: drat all these posts just show I'm in over my head. All I want to do is fly around in space. :(
I'm somewhat weird in that mouse x axis roll just clicked with me and I use a bunch of defaults. I did turn off 'yaw into roll' however, fiddled with the mouse centering and turned on the widget for it. The best protip I can give is to play in solo/tutorials and change keybindings until they click with you. That's the most important thing with any game that allows you to change keybindings.

However having your thrusters follow WASD practice is a good one. Here's mine:

Thrust left, as in moving left: Q
Thrust up, as in moving up: W
Thrust right, as in moving right: E
Yaw Left, as in turning left: A
Thrust down, descending: S
Yaw Right, turning right: D

Note that due to the flight model, most of your turning power is going to be using the mouse to roll in the direction you want and then pitching up. This is space, the only ups, downs etc. that matter are yours!

Moving power settings over near those keys is good too, I've got mine on 1234:
SYS: 1
ENG: 2
WEA: 3
REA: 4
Chaff is X, Shield Cells are C, Heat Sink is V

I've got my HUD panels set up fairly logically on the keyboard as well.
Navigation panel is left CTRL
Communication panel is left ALT,
Center Focus is left Shift,
Status Panel (the one on the right) is Numpad Enter.

Everything else is pretty much default as far as I can remember.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 7, 2016

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
All of my translation controls are mapped to QWASDERF. WASD are forward/back/left/right, QE are roll and RF are up/down. It keeps all my controls in one easy to manage spot!
It's also useful in combat; you can set your throttle in the blue zone with mousewheel throttle control, and then use the thrusters to increase or decrease speed as needed for maneuvers.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Relevant? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYPtigdFxnA

This was everyone. Just take it easy. There isn't a rush to land (well, there is a timer, but its pretty forgiving). Also, use some of the control setups already linked, something will click and it will be a cakewalk eventually.

If you need extra bubblewrap when learning, don't forget to put extra energy to sys. The more pips it has, the harder the shields deflect.

I've been playing since beta, and I have upgraded to a hotas since. A decent one can be had for about 40 bucks. Anyrate, I'm still rubbing my ship around on the landing platform like a beached whale because once you've gotten it down, its just funny and faster.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
If you have trouble with mouse-control, why not try a cheap joystick? I bought a nice Logitech Attack 3 for less then 5 bucks, so it's not like you lose a lot of money if it doesn't work out.

Edit: Ugh don't phonepost with frozen fingers.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 7, 2016

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
To echo all the above, everything becomes easier once you learn to use Up and Down thrusters, as then you can just fly over a pad and thrust directly down. My problem at the start was trying to land my spaceship like an aeroplane, with predictable results.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've never really cared about getting an optimal build since I mostly just fight NPCs, but this is what I'm flying right now. How does it look, any recommended changes?

Also, that link works right?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
To each their own, of course, but some of those control schemes made me hurt.

Where are you guys who are M&KB binding things like boost, chaff, heat sync or SCBs?

Where are your binds for Next closest hostile, target front or next target?

Where's your contextual FSD button, or are you using separate SC and Hyper buttons?

Where's your bind to switch weapon groups?

I run a cheap Logitech joystick so all movement (pitch/roll/yaw + all strafing up/down/left/right) are bound to the stick, along with boost and targeting controls. Everything else is grouped up towards the left side of my keyboard.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LCL-Dead posted:

Where are you guys who are M&KB binding things like boost, chaff, heat sync or SCBs?

Where's your contextual FSD button, or are you using separate SC and Hyper buttons?

I run a cheap Logitech joystick so all movement (pitch/roll/yaw + all strafing up/down/left/right) are bound to the stick, along with boost and targeting controls. Everything else is grouped up towards the left side of my keyboard.

I left everything stock standard. I may be bad.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

J for SC, K for HS, ctrl+K for next route stop, tab for boost, h for most hostile, ctrl+h for next hostile, t to target ahead, g for next target, ctrl+g for previous, x to stop ctrl+x for full speed ahead ctrl+shift+x for full reverse

C for chaff, V for debug camera, backspace for heat sinks, space for scb, qe are yaw, ad are strafe, ws are thrust forward and backward, rf up and down, shift swaps yaw and roll, throttle up/down on mouse thumb buttons, n for next firegroup, ctrl+n for previous

Dabir fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 7, 2016

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

I've never really cared about getting an optimal build since I mostly just fight NPCs, but this is what I'm flying right now. How does it look, any recommended changes?

Also, that link works right?

Link works, but upgrade your thrusters immediately, even if only to D. The Vulture is great at combat because of its combination of Large hard points and maneuverability, and more of the latter is just great. Also, upgrade everything that's currently E to D, as it's a straight upgrade that's pretty cheap.

Think about adding chaff on your empty utility mounts - even one is helpful when you're engaging multiple enemies.

You've got a Class 3 Cargo Rack on a Class 4 mount. If you must have cargo space you might as well have as much of it as you can. I would take out the rack and replace it with a bigger Interdictor for easier interdicting, and replace the one you have with a Detailed Surface Scanner - I assume you have the ADS to make a bit of extra cash while moving between systems, and the DSS will double the payout. Alternatively you could take out the scanners and swap out the cargo rack for a Shield Cell Bank, while retaining a 1D interdictor.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

LCL-Dead posted:

I'm a new player and I've been playing around with my bindings a good bit since starting. These are what I've found work well so far and I don't feel like I'm fighting the controls at all. The biggest thing for me was dialing in the sensitivity/deadzone setting. I also made it a point to keep all "twitch" buttons close so I wouldn't have to lift my hand off the keyboard during fights.

Mouse X/Y: Roll/Pitch
Mouse 1/2: Primary/Secondary Fire
Mouse 3: Headlook (for UI usage)
Mouse 4: Target Ahead
Mouse 5: Next Fire Group
Mouse Wheel: Throttle (in 25% increments)

Mouse sensitivity is set pretty low and the deadzone is set pretty high. Relative mouse is off. No yaw into roll.

W/S: Forward/Backward Thrust
A/D: Right/Left Thrust
Space/Shift: Up/Down Thrust
Q/E: Yaw
1/2/3/4: System/Engine/Weapon/Balanced
Tab: Boost
J/K: Contextual FSD/Supercruise
C/V/B: Chaff/Heatsink/Shield Boost
R/F: Closest Hostile/Next Target

SRV controls use WSAD like a racing game, with assist off which makes it control like a car. UI controls also use WSAD/QE/Shift/Space

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Has anyone bound thrust up/down to the thumb buttons on a mouse? That seems like a good idea to me and I don't know why I didn't do that yet.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Steam showed me the Steam link in the recommendation panel just now and it got me thinking, you know what would be cool? A keyboard with the same dimensions as the points in the thrustmaster t flight where you connect the throttle to the stick so you could have a keyboard in between the two. This probably doesn't exist, does it?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Highly unlikely, but you could potentially make something yourself. Maybe not a keyboard as such, but something like a tablet mount/stand coupled with a remote control app like Roccat Power Grid could be neat.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Has anyone bound thrust up/down to the thumb buttons on a mouse? That seems like a good idea to me and I don't know why I didn't do that yet.

That sounds like a daft idea to me.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Aethernet posted:

Link works, but upgrade your thrusters immediately, even if only to D. The Vulture is great at combat because of its combination of Large hard points and maneuverability, and more of the latter is just great. Also, upgrade everything that's currently E to D, as it's a straight upgrade that's pretty cheap.

Think about adding chaff on your empty utility mounts - even one is helpful when you're engaging multiple enemies.

You've got a Class 3 Cargo Rack on a Class 4 mount. If you must have cargo space you might as well have as much of it as you can. I would take out the rack and replace it with a bigger Interdictor for easier interdicting, and replace the one you have with a Detailed Surface Scanner - I assume you have the ADS to make a bit of extra cash while moving between systems, and the DSS will double the payout. Alternatively you could take out the scanners and swap out the cargo rack for a Shield Cell Bank, while retaining a 1D interdictor.

I can't even remember why I have the cargo rack, I think it might have just been stock and I never bothered upgrading it or replacing it.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep it in mind when I get back to my Vulture (currently running the Rares Circuit in a Cobra for some extra cash while I listen to some podcasts).

I tried doing some of the new hostage rescue missions a little while back but they seem impossible without a Hatch Breaker, do they payout enough to be worth installing one?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dabir posted:

Not throttle up/down but like z-axis thrust? Maybe? Who knows? It could work?

Also why won't they let me land on docking bays backwards?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Veotax posted:

I can't even remember why I have the cargo rack, I think it might have just been stock and I never bothered upgrading it or replacing it.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep it in mind when I get back to my Vulture (currently running the Rares Circuit in a Cobra for some extra cash while I listen to some podcasts).

I tried doing some of the new hostage rescue missions a little while back but they seem impossible without a Hatch Breaker, do they payout enough to be worth installing one?

I just bought myself a vulture, and the class 3 rack in a class 4 slot is stock, yeah.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Davoren posted:

I just bought myself a vulture, and the class 3 rack in a class 4 slot is stock, yeah.
I think every ship comes with at least one cargo rack fitted as standard and they're always a class below the slot they're in.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Going back to the pad landing thing, I found that making myself land and take off actually helped me get used to the controls faster and I think I'm better in combat now because of it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Got a free Viper 4 from the Christmas event. Thanks Frontier! :confuoot:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Got a free Viper 4 from the Christmas event. Thanks Frontier! :confuoot:

So that's where it came from! That was a nice surprise that I immediately sold!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rGeP9JzF7U

PSA: Pay attention to where you're flying. Think I recovered pretty well, all things considered.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Davoren posted:

Steam showed me the Steam link in the recommendation panel just now and it got me thinking, you know what would be cool? A keyboard with the same dimensions as the points in the thrustmaster t flight where you connect the throttle to the stick so you could have a keyboard in between the two. This probably doesn't exist, does it?
Would a mini keyboard do it, how long is the connecting wire?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

C for chaff, V for debug camera

Dabir posted:

:ironicat:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

[C]haff, [V]iew. This person is proposing vertical thrust on your THUMB BUTTONS.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Not throttle up/down but like z-axis thrust? Maybe? Who knows? It could work?

Also why won't they let me land on docking bays backwards?

Actually a thrust axis could work on say your mouse wheel. And then have the buttons used for important set speeds like 0% and 75%

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rGeP9JzF7U

PSA: Pay attention to where you're flying. Think I recovered pretty well, all things considered.
Also if you are about to collide with something, try to shunt all power to SYS to increase your shields damage reduction. It can mean the difference between losing your shields and losing your ships.
That said, you did recover well from the impact.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Is there any downside to running a lower class, higher rated power plant if it'll provide all the power you need? This would be to get lower weight and better heat efficiency without as much cost. Example: 3A power plant in place of a 4E.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

In my opinion, their priority should be getting the existing systems finished before adding even more.

Okay.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

[C]haff, [V]iew. This person is proposing vertical thrust on your THUMB BUTTONS.

Still doesn't seem as daft as binding the button that takes away all control, throws you into a different view and prompts you to hit enter or click to bypass the prompt right next (read: within fatfinger range) to a function that will likely see plenty of use during combat.

That's like building a stealth DBS smuggler and leaving your "jettison all cargo" button bound right next to your "silent running" key.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OK I will admit I press V instead of C a lot but that's only because I used to have them the other way around.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

OK I will admit I press V instead of C a lot but that's only because I used to have them the other way around.

My debug camera is waaaay over at the other edge of my keyboard to avoid being hit accidentally.

But yes, vertical thrusters on thumb buttons seems a bit silly but I can also see it working pretty well. I use vertical thrusters a lot in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

tooterfish posted:

Would a mini keyboard do it, how long is the connecting wire?

That looks pretty good, the connecting wire actually seems to have a decent amount of length, but I'm a turbo nerd who wants it to be all one sleek unit, unfit for any other purpose.

• Locked thread