Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I've said it a million times but Elective should only be available on low or no crown authority.

Actually Elective should be completely reworked such that AI electors actually seek their own selfish goals with their votes and form voting alliances and have to be actively bribed with cash or land or favorable law changes or etc. to support the ruler's preferred successor. Basically it should suck balls but in a way that would at least be interesting to struggle with if you get saddled with it.

But that would probably be a bitch to code, so let's just settle for tying it to low/no CA, which is both sensible and easy.

e: does changing from elective to something else give the -50 "outraged by succession law change" malus with all vassals that held elector titles? I haven't checked in a long time. It drat well should. You get that malus with your family if you change TO elective.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Drone posted:

I'd really just like a mod that makes it more likely that the Karling empire breaks up and doesn't instead go on to be a superpower for centuries on end.

Also that French culture doesn't cover Europe from Brest to Budapest / that foreign-culture landholders are more likely to convert to their local cultures.
In my most recent game the Karlings became Lollards which the Pope holy warred until the Lombards owned most of France and Germany.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've said it a million times but Elective should only be available on low or no crown authority.

Actually Elective should be completely reworked such that AI electors actually seek their own selfish goals with their votes and form voting alliances and have to be actively bribed with cash or land or favorable law changes or etc. to support the ruler's preferred successor. Basically it should suck balls but in a way that would at least be interesting to struggle with if you get saddled with it.

But that would probably be a bitch to code, so let's just settle for tying it to low/no CA, which is both sensible and easy.

e: does changing from elective to something else give the -50 "outraged by succession law change" malus with all vassals that held elector titles? I haven't checked in a long time. It drat well should. You get that malus with your family if you change TO elective.

If you take the Holy Roman Empire or Poland/Poland-Lithuania as examples, perhaps. But then the Habsburgs still managed to make the office de facto hereditary even though the emperor was officially still elected.

But even apart from supposed historical realism, it would be a dumb change from a gameplay perspective. Ultimogeniture only requires low CA and is better in basically every circumstance. If you are stuck with minimal CA, you are also likely stuck with (elective) gavelkind. This change would make elective succession as bad as seniority succession, useful only in a few special edge cases. It would likely only come into play if a player vassal forces this succession per faction on his liege so that they can start a faction for themselves to replace their liege. And then you would promptly change to utimo- or primogeniture. Which is pretty boring in my opinion.

Electors are less willing to vote for your heir, and I've actually seen quite a bit of cases where they liked me enough to vote for someone of my dynasty, just not my preferred son. I think elective is fine as it is, any changes to make it more "realistic" would only make it more unfun, reducing our choices for no real gain.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

It certainly does, but what the gently caress are they going to do, they can't vote anymore. I didn't become king by being nice.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Excelzior posted:

It certainly does, but what the gently caress are they going to do, they can't vote anymore. I didn't become king by being nice.

Instead of voting they join independence revolts.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

McGavin posted:

Instead of voting they join independence revolts.

Which then get put down, the conspirators locked in jail, and sacrificed to Thor.

Praise the thunderer. :black101:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Which then get put down, the conspirators locked in jail, and sacrificed to Thor.

Praise the thunderer. :black101:

There literally hasn't been a successful independence revolt against me in, like, forever. It becomes so utterly predictable, that once anything reaches 70% I just get to work in pissing my vassals off even more as I drat well can while raising full morale levies near the main parties holdings and whammo - all problems solved.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CrazyLoon posted:

There literally hasn't been a successful independence revolt against me in, like, forever. It becomes so utterly predictable, that once anything reaches 70% I just get to work in pissing my vassals off even more as I drat well can while raising full morale levies near the main parties holdings and whammo - all problems solved.

Right now I'm playing a game where I started in Akershus. I reformed the Germanic religion and organized into a merchant republic.

Every single time my ruler dies I have a rebellion within a few years. A few months later I have a big party where lots and lots of dukes die. Shortly thereafter it's time to make the empire bigger.

For whatever reason the Jomsvikings keep conquering more and more of Italy, the Karlings are almost gone, and Catholicism is dealing with a lot of heresy because their moral authority is utter rear end. This is because I may have developed a habit of repeatedly burning down Rome.

Daedelous
Nov 14, 2012
How does one get rid of those ridiculous event spawn troop stacks on lands you want to take, but NEVER go away?

Trying to get the last of Ireland and this 2k troop stack just won't sod off, deployed.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For whatever reason the Jomsvikings keep conquering more and more of Italy, the Karlings are almost gone, and Catholicism is dealing with a lot of heresy because their moral authority is utter rear end. This is because I may have developed a habit of repeatedly burning down Rome.

My own Viking playthrough went similar (start from Iceland, tho, with a winter warfare strategist and focus more on raiding, loot ect., but also gaining power alongside towards Norway and beyond), though I decided moreso to focus on slowly breaking over to the waters of India via Egypt so that there'd be no waters safe from our raids. :black101:

But because of that, I wound up leaving Catholic Europe alone after reforming the germanic faith...and they wound up doing audacious poo poo like winning a ton of moral authority by conquering and giving all of Greece to Teutonic Knights! Ah well...can't have all of it at once, I guess. :(

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
When is the next patch coming out. Waiting for Groogs to rain on my nomad parade, though I guess I can always just console things back to hell, iffin I want.

Still wish there was some sorta random world thing for CK2. It would be dang baller.

RowansWarden
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

I agree with this a lot. On the one hand, I think that making the AI *really* pursue its own interest long-term would be complicated, but EUIV gives a nice model of how you could do something better than the current system with parliamentary monarchy system. I'd like to see a similar thing in CKII for elective, where you could give certain privileges to electors to get their support for your candidate-- this guy wants to give you fewer troops when he's called to war, that guy wants lower taxes, the other wants you to lower crown authority across the board. It's relatively easy when you have just a couple of electors, but try to run a big realm with electoral, and you find yourself stretched to the limit just getting the nomination. Of course, I'd also like to see a system where if a bunch of your electors favor a different guy, they might be expected to actually try to install him against you in an organized way, but I digress.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Deceitful Penguin posted:

When is the next patch coming out. Waiting for Groogs to rain on my nomad parade, though I guess I can always just console things back to hell, iffin I want.

Still wish there was some sorta random world thing for CK2. It would be dang baller.

I hope there's enough forewarning of an incoming game-breaking CK2 patch/expansion. I still have like 300 years to play on my Lithuania 769 start game and I want that drat achievement for playing an entire grand campaign from start to finish.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drone posted:

I hope there's enough forewarning of an incoming game-breaking CK2 patch/expansion. I still have like 300 years to play on my Lithuania 769 start game and I want that drat achievement for playing an entire grand campaign from start to finish.

They usually do 4 to 5 dev diaries before releasing a new DLC, with one diary per week. You will have at least 5 weeks of warning.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Drone posted:

When patch hit there will of course be a beta branch for it in Steam, and yes you can run ironman in these versions and get achievements.
Either way so far from my own little test the patch seems fairly compatible with old saves, though I haven't tested it extensively.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

When patch hit there will of course be a beta branch for it in Steam, and yes you can run ironman in these versions and get achievements.
Either way so far from my own little test the patch seems fairly compatible with old saves, though I haven't tested it extensively.
Dammit don't answer the easy questions. I don't give a flip about exact answers, just that I'll have a bit of January left after I return from the US to horse around wit.

Drone posted:

Going for Romuva eh? How's that working out for you? Going as the Lettigalians, Lithuanians or the Prussians?

I like to rename Lithuania to Latvia when I play as the Lettigalians. Feels good.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Going for Romuva eh? How's that working out for you? Going as the Lettigalians, Lithuanians or the Prussians?

I like to rename Lithuania to Latvia when I play as the Lettigalians. Feels good.

Started as the high chief of Lithuania, reformed the Romuva faith after about 30 or 40 years I think? Conquered Finland. De jure drifted Estonia into the Kingdom of Lithuania for prettyborders reasons before releasing Finland as independent, giving it to a distant relative (it's been in a basically near constant state of failing holy wars / civil wars ever since, but it still exists). My lands right now basically look a bit smaller than the PLC at its height, plus more of the Baltic coast and Russia up to Moscow. The Romuvan holy order (Chosen of Perkunas) have succeeded in two Great Holy Wars for Sweden and Saxony... the first one without my help, and the second one only with massive help from me (and yet somehow they emerged with more warscore than me). The Romuvan faith is making inroads both eastwards and, slowly and reluctantly, westwards.

As far as culture goes, Lithuanian is now dominant and Polish is nonexistent, at least as as a county culture. Finland has no more Finns in it apparently, who have been displaced eastward into Rus/Perm in favor of Lithuanian. Lettigalian is doing fine, as early in the game I created a vassal republic in Curonia, and they have Lettigalian culture. As the leader of the Chosen of Perkunas has been Lettigalian for awhile, and as they now control Sweden and Saxony, the culture is slowly spreading there as well.

It's the late 11th century now. These hordes in the east are pissing me off for how difficult they're proving to fight, and I'm only really expanding there one province at a time whenever one of them revolts or declares independence from the rest of the horde.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drone posted:

Started as the high chief of Lithuania, reformed the Romuva faith after about 30 or 40 years I think? Conquered Finland. De jure drifted Estonia into the Kingdom of Lithuania for prettyborders reasons before releasing Finland as independent, giving it to a distant relative (it's been in a basically near constant state of failing holy wars / civil wars ever since, but it still exists). My lands right now basically look a bit smaller than the PLC at its height, plus more of the Baltic coast and Russia up to Moscow. The Romuvan holy order (Chosen of Perkunas) have succeeded in two Great Holy Wars for Sweden and Saxony... the first one without my help, and the second one only with massive help from me (and yet somehow they emerged with more warscore than me). The Romuvan faith is making inroads both eastwards and, slowly and reluctantly, westwards.

As far as culture goes, Lithuanian is now dominant and Polish is nonexistent, at least as as a county culture. Finland has no more Finns in it apparently, who have been displaced eastward into Rus/Perm in favor of Lithuanian. Lettigalian is doing fine, as early in the game I created a vassal republic in Curonia, and they have Lettigalian culture. As the leader of the Chosen of Perkunas has been Lettigalian for awhile, and as they now control Sweden and Saxony, the culture is slowly spreading there as well.

It's the late 11th century now. These hordes in the east are pissing me off for how difficult they're proving to fight, and I'm only really expanding there one province at a time whenever one of them revolts or declares independence from the rest of the horde.

I made the Chosen of Perkunas my vassals as soon as I became an emperor, to prevent them from running away with the game. They are also by default Lettgallian as defined by the game files, even brothers/sons/cousing/etc. of you that join will become Lettgallian culture.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Torrannor posted:

I made the Chosen of Perkunas my vassals as soon as I became an emperor, to prevent them from running away with the game. They are also by default Lettgallian as defined by the game files, even brothers/sons/cousing/etc. of you that join will become Lettgallian culture.

poo poo, you can do that? Damnit. I had no idea, now they're too big to do that too probably. :(

And I already expelled them from my kingdom (after they conquered Sweden).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drone posted:

poo poo, you can do that? Damnit. I had no idea, now they're too big to do that too probably. :(

And I already expelled them from my kingdom (after they conquered Sweden).

I've started as the duchy of Lithuania as well, so I always had the "wrong culture" penalty to vassalizing them. In that case, you need to give them a duchy title that you are the de jure liege of, have good relations with them and be 2 ranks above them to get rid of the "small difference in rank" penalty. So you need to be an emperor.

And kings never agree to become your vassals, so it's really too late to vassalize them now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Torrannor posted:

And kings never agree to become your vassals, so it's really too late to vassalize them now.

The Chosen haven't created the Kingdom of Sweden or Kingdom of Saxony titles. For whatever reason, I can't figure out why. Even though the high chief dude has the ambition to Become King of Sweden.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Think I blocked them from creating kingdom titles because it caused a lot of problems. Though I believe the custom kingdom decision is still not blocked for them. (but I think it is if they are a vassal)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Just gonna leave this here....

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/crusader-kings-ii-conclave-to-be-released-early-2016.901254/

quote:

The new year will bring new goodies from Paradox Development Studio and the team behind Crusader Kings II, Paradox’s best-selling and critically beloved medieval grand strategy game.

Conclave, the newest expansion for the game, will give your vassals some bite to go along with your bark, as the council that governs your realm will now demand some say in how you rule. Powerful dukes, regardless of competence, will require a seat at the table, and those left on the outside will be more likely to plot against you.

Keep your council happy, and the mighty vassals will resist the pull of faction and civil war. Dismiss their interests, though, and you may find yourself trying to hold together a council at war with itself.

Balance councillor skill and power to keep your dynasty safe and strong. Ignore powerful underlings at your peril, or simply buy their loyalty with favors. Conclave makes the royal council a force unto itself.

Other features of Conclave will include:
- Councils can now vote on changes to realm laws – or you can try to limit their power and influence
- Revised education system for royal children, with new traits and events designed for childhood
- New diplomatic system that prioritizes marital alliances and non-aggression pacts, as well as the possibility of coalitions
- Improved military combat model with a greater emphasis on morale, as well as new rules for mercenary companies
- And many more smaller changes including the usual tweaks to how the AI prioritizes its decisions.
So the choice will be yours; do you dare to challenge your vassals on their council at the risk of challenging them on the battlefield? Can you move your nation towards greater centralization and power without your advisors realizing how much they are losing in the deal?

Crusader Kings II appreciates the subtlety of court intrigue. Conclave will give you new avenues to test that skill.

Conclave will be available in early 2016.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

yes. good.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Saw the title "Conclave" and assumed that meant you'd get to play as the Pope / as bishoprics in general. :(

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Nice trailer for Conclave as well.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
It got nothing on the original monty pythonesque 7 deadly sins trailers.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Nice.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yes, this, this I like.

There are some really interesting screenshots on Paradox's store page too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really want to know what those 5 icons on the council screen mean.

Also holy poo poo "Enforce Realm Peace" finally.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yes, this, this I like.

There are some really interesting screenshots on Paradox's store page too.

I like the status of women law that's pretty neat although a little odd to abstract like that

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
I love the idea of a way of life style education focus for children, so I'm already pretty excited for this.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im pretty excited for this. More focus on internal politics is everything I wanted, and those civil laws looks awesome

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Still a lot of blanks but this seems like it could be one of the better expansions. More meddling with internal affairs - outside of the routine peasant crushing - seems like it'll be pretty great. I wonder if the new education system will stop you from giving your kid up right before his birthday to someone with the proper trait.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im pretty excited for this. More focus on internal politics is everything I wanted, and those civil laws looks awesome

Yes everything that adds more roleplay / internal stuff is gold, I kinda regret getting RoI and Horse Lords since I rarely play as not-european but Sons of Abraham and Way of Life are my favourite expansions for obvious reasons. This council stuff seems to impact everything in game, whatever you play as since you will basically always have vassals or be one yourself. Also finally a sensible education system rather than "always educate yourself to minmax traits until a week before kid turns 16, then pass tutoring to guy with top Diplo/Steward education if you don't have it" is much appreciated, educating heirs became kind of a chore.

Actually, also selecting tutors for all the drat kids around is a chore, since you won't have that many great educators: after a certain point I just start random assigning or letting the game choose and it results in lots of lovely kids with undesirable traits. No matter how many eugenics tricks I try, my court is always filled with bad-statted, bad-traited people...

I wish they also did something about the "HAHA I WON'T EVER PEACE OUT UNLESS YOU TAKE 15 YEARS SIEGING ALL MY LAND FOR 100% WARSCORE gently caress YOU" attitude the AI has. I mean, it's understandable if you're trying to claim their primary title or 80% of their land or whatever, but a Kingdom made of 5 duchies with 2-4 counties each should not be so stubborn over a single county for instance.

Basically I'd love a more elaborate peace/alliance/diplomatic system like we have in EU4, hopefully the "New diplomatic system" is just that :D

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Daedelous posted:

How does one get rid of those ridiculous event spawn troop stacks on lands you want to take, but NEVER go away?

Trying to get the last of Ireland and this 2k troop stack just won't sod off, deployed.

I've always thought event troops should have some kind of constant attrition. They're supposed to be large bands of peasants and adventurers, they should be constantly bleeding people.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Well, tickle my fancy, you naughty hedgehog. Just as I mention, how there's no challenge from inside any of my realms since it's pretty predictable, you unveil this thing.

...I'm gonna wind up buying this at some point, aren't I? *sigh*

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

You post on here just to receive praise don't you

Because you totally deserve it. I will finally have a good Game of Thrones game. :woop:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Will empires with imperial governments and viceroyalties get something close to the council made up of powerful dukes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Visceral Realism posted:

I love the idea of a way of life style education focus for children, so I'm already pretty excited for this.

Yup, me too. I definitely would like to see the education trait and trait quality thing be more random. Like right now it's too easy to just grab a Grey Eminence to educate your kid and 95% of the time you get another Grey Eminence. I'd like to see more variability on not just that, but a chance the kid kinda revolts and can get a different education trait like martial or whatever depending on their skills.

Also, :lol: there's already a tread complaining that you could theoretically improve the lot of women in your realm. I'm assuming 'full' equality is going to be locked behind Catharism and such anyway. But I'd really like it if they opened up women for republics and maybe even some branches of Islam?

• Locked thread