Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

superstepa posted:

Aight, that sounds pretty good. I might get myself a deck just to see if MODO works for me. One last question: does the $10 registration fee come with 10 tix?
Thank you

it comes with some poo poo for a new player draft. i don't know what this is as my account is like 13 years old or something stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rabidsquid posted:

it comes with some poo poo for a new player draft. i don't know what this is as my account is like 13 years old or something stupid

You get 5 regular event tickets and 20 "new player points", which is enough to do 5 new player drafts. They're regular drafts with a 4 player pod, you play two matches and get untradeable packs as prizes. The packs are weird five card packs with random cards from whatever set you just drafted. I made a second account because my collection was so big it was slowing my client to a crawl because WotC, and I got like 20 packs in prizes and opened basically nothing, but the drafts were pretty fun.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

superstepa posted:

Aight, that sounds pretty good. I might get myself a deck just to see if MODO works for me. One last question: does the $10 registration fee come with 10 tix?
Thank you

Basically I only play (modern) leagues to supplement my obscene drafting habit, but I'm sure if you don't care about draft and just play pauper leagues (and daily events, if they have those), then it's not too hard to end up not spending any money on MODO except buying your decks.

A couple things that confused me when I first started:
  • Use a site like mtgowikiprice.com to look at card prices. Lots of bots are traps for the unwary and will price gouge you if they can. If you find a deck you like on mtggoldfish they normally have a link to buy the entire deck from cardhoarder, which is a bot network run by a pretty decent guy and it's all pretty painless. There are online vendors that sell tickets (which you will have to put in a binder and make tradeable to get cards off a bot), but I've always just bought tickets from the MODO store.
  • Check your stops. (The little white arrows near the turn progress bar on the bottom.) Right click (or left click on the arrow) to see when MtGO won't skip a phase or step without asking you if you want to do something. If you don't, for example, have a stop set at your opponent's upkeep, or at your opponent's beginning of combat step, you won't get a chance to do anything there if your opponent doesn't. (You'll still always get a chance to respond to their spells and abilities and make blocks.)
  • Use the function keys. F2 is the equivalent of "sure" or "resolves" in paper Magic, it's just passing priority to the thing on the stack. F4 is "go", it passes priority until the end of the turn, unless your opponent adds something to the stack. F6 is the "I see you've got your amulet bloom combo assembled, I'm gonna see if you whiff" (it passes priority on EVERYTHING until end of turn). F3 is "oh poo poo, I pressed F6 by mistake on my own turn, let me cancel it so I don't skip through my land drop".

I think that's it. I'm sure people in the thread can help you when other things come up.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

lockdar posted:

The problem is people not knowing the format or the cards, they don't have enough time to read all the cards and figure out a strategy from there. If you do know the cards you're way ahead.

Sure, I'm not going to blame people for, say, undervaluing Viridian Longbow. Spikeshot Goblin, though, is a pinger that has potential to take over the game, even if you don't know anything about the format.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You know, if I hadn't seen the post about Spikeshot Goblin being the best common, I would have passed it. At least I got one as the first pick in a pack. Tried GR beats but it didn't work, but I finally made it to round two in one of these drafts and someone passed me a Glimmervoid.

Eighth Edition was the worst. I couldn't even win with my tried and true core set strategy of drafting every single white and blue flier I can because every common is so woefully underpowered.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Paging BaronVonVadeheim or if anyone has his Email that would also be great

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
GottaGoFast

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It's like quicken... kind of...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

:what:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm not surprised that Maro doesn't realize it's supposed to be 3fast5furious

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm not surprised that Maro doesn't realize it's supposed to be 3fast5furious

That was Dan, not MaRo, obviously

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Is this a unique effect for 1 mana? No, right?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Experienced players: "Hey, it's a Surge enabler! But not really playable anyway, and it sucks that it can't give your next Surged-out creature haste."

New players: "Holy poo poo, take this higher than literally anything else. By the way, what does Surge do?"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pussy Snorkel posted:

That was Dan, not MaRo, obviously

Weird nickname for Maro.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Is this a unique effect for 1 mana? No, right?

Crimson wisps does the same thing but also turns the creature red.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Crimson wisps does the same thing but also turns the creature red.

I'm just thinking of some kind of terrible standard combo enabler with Nantuko Husk but it's probably very bad.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

I'm just thinking of some kind of terrible standard combo enabler with Nantuko Husk but it's probably very bad.

Jeskai Ascendancy is still around, if there was still a playable standard combo involving that then I'm sure it would be played.

Yegor
Dec 21, 2007
In Gypsytown there are two rules. Number one: stay in car.

Maybe this is the card that makes Zada standard playable? Dragon Fodder, Hordeling Outburst, Zada, draw 6!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Yegor posted:

Maybe this is the card that makes Zada standard playable? Dragon Fodder, Hordeling Outburst, Zada, draw 6!

Wishful thinking, a 4 mana 3/3 that requires you to both have a strong board presence while also having a cheap cantrip spell in hand to be good is asking a little much. Zada is a cool card, but I don't believe it will ever have large success on the competitive circuit. If she were a 3 mana 2/3 or 3/2 with the same ability my opinion might be a little different, because that would mean on turn 4 you could slam her down and then cast the cantrip, which seems like a pretty powerful play. However, as is, Zada just seems too fragile and too finicky to be anything more than Johnny masturbation fodder.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 7, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The full card gallery should be up tomorrow. BFZ's full list was up on 9/18, and the prerelease was on 9/26.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the first things that jump to mind for that haste card are zada and, especially, monastery mentor.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elyv posted:

the first things that jump to mind for that haste card are zada and, especially, monastery mentor.

You can stack Zada's and Mentor's triggers so that the spell gets copied for the new Monk as well, by the way.

Also I really like the 2/1 B dude.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

The best thing to keep up with Mentor on the field is Negate...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Gensuki posted:

Can you have devotion to colorless? Does nykthos interact meaningfully with jank eldrazi stuff?

No. Colorless is, um, well, not a color.

quote:

700.5. A player’s devotion to [color] is equal to the number of mana symbols of that color among the mana costs of permanents that player controls. A player’s devotion to [color 1] and [color 2] is equal to the number of mana symbols among the mana costs of permanents that player controls that are [color 1], [color 2], or both colors.

If they change this then you could, but as it stands, it's trying to worship the absence of worshipable entities. No matter how euphoric you are, it doesn't go anywhere.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

What is mind? It doesn't matter. What is matter? Never mind
Neat card tho. Always cantrips.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, I definitely want to finish my playset of Collected Company now. I don't know if it will be competitive, but it should be fun.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Straight into the Aristocrats deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

odiv posted:

Okay, I definitely want to finish my playset of Collected Company now. I don't know if it will be competitive, but it should be fun.

This with Company, Fleshbag and Liliana might be a deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Eldrazi Mimic, Matter Reshaper, Thought-Knot Seer and Reality Smasher guy are all ridiculous in Modern with Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple.

There's no way its going to be worth it to be doing shenanigans with Processors when you can just vomit these value creatures onto the battlefield for cheap.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

That card would be unbelievably strong in Signal the Rats

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

The best thing to keep up with Mentor on the field is Negate...

sure but:

This lets you play it on 4 and still get value, by attacking for 3 and still getting your monk.
Later in the game, you can EOT it.
In general, doubling the number of 1 mana cantrips your monastery mentor deck can play is an upgrade, I think. Is it enough? I don't know. Is it testable? I think so.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

That card would be unbelievably strong in Signal the Rats

I once tried to explain Signal the Rats to a L3 judge who was exceptionally unamused

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

sure but:

This lets you play it on 4 and still get value, by attacking for 3 and still getting your monk.
Later in the game, you can EOT it.
In general, doubling the number of 1 mana cantrips your monastery mentor deck can play is an upgrade, I think. Is it enough? I don't know. Is it testable? I think so.

Eating a removal spell and being left with a 1/1 token is not "getting value"

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

little munchkin posted:

Eating a removal spell and being left with a 1/1 token is not "getting value"

You would be up on the exchange, which I think qualifies as quote "getting value" end quote.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

I once tried to explain Signal the Rats to a L3 judge who was exceptionally unamused

Did he just not understand the deck. I don't get it. How can this guy have such a reaction to this extremely powerful and devastating psychological deck

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How does Eye of Ugin work with a 1<> Eldrazi? Does it become free or do you need to pay <>?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

How does Eye of Ugin work with a 1<> Eldrazi? Does it become free or do you need to pay <>?

Eye of Ugin reduces generic mana costs by 2.

It doesn't reduce anything else, including colorless mana. You can cast Eldrazi Mimic for 0 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Finally that goofy Chandra face in card form.

• Locked thread