Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

drat, that place looks awesome, but it's 12 miles away, and my car is 4500 miles away :(

If you want to head into Downtown for a beer though, then that's cool. I'm staying right next to the Cobo Center (which is convenient, as I'm working there on next weeks NAIAS :)).

Oh, also this is a good article if youre looking for interesting local food

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...e2a1_story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Thanks, man! I've been heading to a different bar or restaurant each night.I was here a few week ago with a group and we did the same thing. The dining options here is pretty great.

And yeah I'm right by the Joe Louis arena. Jacoby's is just a 10 minute walk for me, in fact it's right by the hotel I stayed in last month :p. I'll try to swing by there if I can brave walking that far in the cold!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Nice have fun dude. If I am in the D I'll PM you and maybe we can grab a beer and talk about obscure JDM cars that I'm not allowed to have :v:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
All the good JDM cars started coming out in 1991, so from this year onwards, you can start importing the Good poo poo! :)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

All the good JDM cars started coming out in 1991, so from this year onwards, you can start importing the Good poo poo! :)

*vehicles under 200k miles not guaranteed

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

glyph posted:

Always got a kick out of the bandsaw at work.

Oh look, it even has a wheel for feeds and speeds for common materials!

:wtc:

E: seriously though, this thing ROCKS. When it's dialed in, it's one of my favorite tools in the shop. The welder is a nice touch- been hooking friends up with custom band saw blades for their home saws for a while now.

E2: holy poo poo tables, sorry guys.

If you like this type of stuff, you'd love my uncle's shop. He is a woodturner and a loving perfectionist (which is why he's done some pretty amazing projects). He's also cheap and hates computers. He has a poo poo ton of these types of machines, old giant lathes (including one from boeing which they made nose cones with) plus a small machine shop to keep all these things working.
I really should take some photos someday, it is really impressive.
(Also, seriously protect your lungs, he has all sorts of respratory issues because he didn't wear good masks for his first 30 years or so).

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

nm posted:

If you like this type of stuff, you'd love my uncle's shop. He is a woodturner and a loving perfectionist (which is why he's done some pretty amazing projects). He's also cheap and hates computers. He has a poo poo ton of these types of machines, old giant lathes (including one from boeing which they made nose cones with) plus a small machine shop to keep all these things working.
I really should take some photos someday, it is really impressive.
(Also, seriously protect your lungs, he has all sorts of respratory issues because he didn't wear good masks for his first 30 years or so).

Maybe it wasn't obvious, but the feeds and speeds wheel there has settings for cutting asbestos :supaburn:

I work at an ivy league engineering school, we have our fair share of ww2 era surplus military tooling in our shop (which only serves two experiments and a dozen or so physicists) alone.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

But honestly, though? If you maintain proper PPE while working with it, both personal and environmental, seal it well, and maintain it properly, asbestos has a lot of fantastic properties that could be useful as hell. The health issues don't become problematic unless it degrades and releases fibers, or someone improperly fucks with it.

The real problem is that the poo poo was put in everything for 70+ years and put into the hands of Joe Q. Homeowner, who could likely be mathematically proven to halfass and ignore poo poo until it becomes everyone's problem.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My father & I cut asbestos shingles for our house using a Sears circular saw with a carborundum blade and no protection whatsoever from the enormous dust cloud it created. This was in 1978.

Then again, I cleaned my modelling brushes as well as my hands with benzene.

Years later, working on cars, I replaced many a brake shoe and asbestos exhaust seal components between 1976-'98; also sprayed down my arms & hands with Berkebile 2+2 gum cutter & brakleen

Can't worry about what was. I do know that my lungs are fine, though. Definitely would have done it differently.

I have asbestos shingles on my house now; on the very rare occasions that I've had to cut one for a repair (I have extras) I used a wet saw, hosed everything down, & PPE'd to beat the band.

Here in NJ it is legal to dispose of up to ten pounds of non-frianble asbestos at a time in your trash.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I learned a little about asbestos in a geology class, and the thing is that most of it is actually harmless. There are different forms of it, and only the smallest type of fiber is small enough to get wedged in capillaries. That type makes up about 10% but isn't distributed evenly amongst all asbestos. So some sources could have little or none of the bad stuff. But if it came from, say, Libby, mt, you're hosed. A lot of the people that just lived in the town got mesothemioma from the trucks driving by.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

buttcrackmenace posted:

Had the same issue.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UTDF0LM

I had one of these in my daily-driver '98 LS400. The car has a power port in the bottom of the center console, so I left it plugged in all the time. The unit's *bright blue* LED was not annoying since it was out of sight.

I just gave it to my Dad as the stock CD changer in his '03 MKx died and Ford wants ~$1,300 to replace it. Lol gently caress no.

Currently trying out one of these. It works well, but is a bit fiddly - the battery is good for about 5 hours of usage, and the little transmission head seems to need cleaning every time I remove it.

P certain I'm going to order another FM adapter

I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Roadster-Universal-Bluetooth-Speakerphone/dp/B007AQF0WK

It was a bit pricy but it works great, its compact, and has no stupid LEDs all over it. Or any screen at all really. Its sound activated so the door slamming shut will turn it on and connect it to a device. Press FM to transmit and set volume through your phone and/or car. Built in speaker is loud enough to hear over the radio while driving if you want to listen to something local but still get GPS directions or hear alerts/calls. The battery lasts around 25 hours of use and even after two years of heavy use im getting around 20 out of it. poo poo owns.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Ferremit posted:

Great Wall got pinged last year for selling their cheap lovely cars in Australia with asbestos exhaust gaskets.... Didn't have to remediate, just stop using it. So god knows how many of those things are going to kill mechanics in the future when the cheap pot metal manifolds inevitably crack.

Back in Nov, Toyota Australia issued an alert to all their local dealers to be on the lookout for counterfeit OEM brake pads because they were found to contain absestos. They're being sold on places like eBay as genuine OEM replacements for much cheaper than usual, so they are popular with the DIY crowd and 3rd party mechanics. The parts and boxes were stamped with Toyota markings, so very difficult to tell they were fakes are first glance.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Yeah I saw something similar with "Genuine" oil filters on the web, that basically were a steel can with a bog roll jammed into them. Apparently if it doesnt have the little hologram on the box for things like brake pads, filters etc, its not genuine and sus as hell.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Some people willingly use oil filters that have toilet paper.
They were a big thing in the 1970s. Frantz is the only name I remember, but there's more (probably for industrial plant).

E: http://jackmasteroilfilters.com.au/replacing_filter_element..html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

They were a big thing in the 1970s. Frantz is the only name I remember, but there's more (probably for industrial plant).

:catstare: Oh hell no.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

CommieGIR posted:

:catstare: Oh hell no.

If you're going to be in the bush for a while, being able to stretch out your oil by switching out the tp in your filter might be a good thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

If you're going to be in the bush for a while, being able to stretch out your oil by switching out the tp in your filter might be a good thing.

Because TP isn't known for falling apart faster than cotton candy.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

CommieGIR posted:

Because TP isn't known for falling apart faster than cotton candy.

Only in water.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

EightBit posted:

Only in water.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that it probably doesn't hold together too well in a pressurized oil system where it is the filter material either.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 6, 2016

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

If we are stabbing at the darkness here, I would guess they are using filter paper, not toilet paper.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Computer viking posted:

If we are stabbing at the darkness here, I would guess they are using filter paper, not toilet paper.

quote:

This adaptor is used when using standard toilet rolls to prevent oil leakage around the base of the roll.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh, wow. Right then.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The only thing in this thread toilet paper should be applied to is all these posts. Jesus.

A friend of mine had a power steering pump get real loud one day, checked the power steering pump and found the pulley wobbling crazily and a thin silvery splash of fluid all over everything in the area. Got it towed home and the pump came out like this.

Guess the input bearing failed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sudo Echo posted:

I managed to go two weeks without an alternator in my '83 civic going to/from school every day. Just park it on hills and pop start it, the thing had barely anything electrical besides the ignition.

I once drove my dad's '91 Dodge Cummins for about 2 weeks without realizing that the ECU wasn't telling the alternator to charge, because the ECU was dead. There are no markings on the volts gauge, and I hadn't driven it enough previously to know where "OK" was on the gauge. I didn't drive at night, and was mostly driving to the train station about 2 miles away from the house. The silly thing started on the first revolution almost every time, so the drain on the battery was minimal. I finally noticed it when I went to go visit a friend some distance away, at night. I needed a jump to get started, but of course the 12V Cummins will run without power, so I only had to deal with the candlelight headlights. Installed an earlier-model voltage regulator, and that's still in the truck. The ECU in the earlier diesels just regulated the alternator (bypass with earlier regulator), switches the AC compressor clutch (replace with a relay), activates the overdrive (switch), and handles the pre-heater (not needed in north Texas. It starts every time, even below freezing, because it doesn't get MUCH below freezing here.)

Phanatic posted:

F-150 takes two rounds of armor-piercing .50BMG to the block and keeps running (albeit barely).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zd-hMXeMoA

I'd be interested to see the dis-assembly of that.
Are 5.4s that expensive to replace? I mean - "more than the truck was worth"?

Collateral Damage posted:

In the followup video he puts a 75mm AT round through it. :black101:

Jesus!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgk5RSUnOhE

Front of the block is *gone*.

Ozz81 posted:

I'm in the same boat as you, I've got an '03 Malibu and I'm actually glad it doesn't have a lot of the fancier add-ons of newer cars in the last 5-10 years. I'll hear people in brand new cars complain about TPM sensors or touch screen glitches or any number of onboard computer problems, and here I am humming along with my only disappointment being my car's lack of an AUX port to plug in my iPod.

And that's just a head unit replacement away. Or maybe not, given how integrated the head unit was on any trim level above my brother-in-law's base-model Cobalt, but his is a 2005. If he hadn't gotten the base model, we wouldn't have been able to replace the head with anything other than a GM unit, because it integrates with the warning system and the Driver Information Center. Even his used the CAN-BUS to control power.
FWIW, the Ford Panther cars were still relatively old-school right up until their demise in 2011, and the stuff that is stupidly integrated (Lighting control Module, I'm looking at you) can be worked around.

edit: Man, that Multipla looks weirder every time I see one. The dash looks like a random growth.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

PaintVagrant posted:

Go to the Imperial bar on Woodward and eat all the fuckin tacos and hotdogs. Also swing by my place and let me drive your Soarer.

I'm less than a mile away from Imperial and ride my bike there, confirmed it is awesome.

For a nice steak dinner, Roast was the best I've ever had. It's an actual steakhouse so entrees are 30-50, but it was worth it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Do you use good toilet paper or can you use cheap one ply costco stuff?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

nm posted:

Do you use good toilet paper or can you use cheap one ply costco stuff?

Doesn't matter. Toilet paper is designed to be a cheap solution for wiping your rear end, not collecting micro-particles from thick oil:

http://www.kc-synthetic-oil.com/toilet-paper-oil-filter.html

Gonna need to see some actual oil analysis, yes I know they used to use it a lot, but I'm gonna stay skeptical.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fo3 posted:

These guys do have something that looks somewhat meant for the role for sale, at least.

quote:

Cellulose Roll Filter

A tightly wound cellulose roll in a fine cheese-cloth bag with a metal eyelet for easy, clean removal. Designed to continuously clean lubrication oil of harmful and corrosive solids, water and chemicals. Approximate size 105mm dia. X 105 mm length. We sell these elements in any quantity you wish.
Our Price
Au$10.00 each.

Perfect? I doubt it. Better than a 480 roll bulk pack from Costco? Probably.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Darchangel posted:

And that's just a head unit replacement away. Or maybe not, given how integrated the head unit was on any trim level above my brother-in-law's base-model Cobalt, but his is a 2005. If he hadn't gotten the base model, we wouldn't have been able to replace the head with anything other than a GM unit, because it integrates with the warning system and the Driver Information Center. Even his used the CAN-BUS to control power.

That's not fully true, you can get a CANBUS adapter to retain the chimes and whatnot. You WILL lose the DIC and its annoying as piss to configure. On the Solstice and Colorado that I have firsthand experience with (very, very similar electronics to that gen Cobalt) the chime tone is a file stored in the head. There is a gain switch on the CANBUS adapter. Well, in order to get a reasonable amount of volume out of an aftermarket stereo, you have to crank the gain all the way up. The chime doesn't scale properly and you get a deafeningly loud door chime. gently caress you, GM.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
More Asbestos chat:
My grandfather was factory foreman at a chemical plant in WW2 era England. A byproduct of their plant was flammable (calcium carbide maybe?) when wet and would burn for long periods, making the factory a target for bombers. My grandfather had to buy large Asbestos blankets to cover the piles to prevent flames. My dad, now 89 played around with scraps from those blankets as a kid.

Now my 1950s house probably has it all over.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

GM actually moved the driver info center back to the cluster (where it belongs, damnit) for 06+ Cobalts.

Even on a higher trim model prior to 06, you can get various adapters to retain the warning chimes and DIC. The DIC gets replaced by a mounting kit that holds a single DIN stereo and a small display + buttons. The chimes/warnings require a ~$100 adapter, but that's the case on the majority of GMs since the mid 00s, and it's a thing on all Cobalts.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Darchangel posted:

Jesus!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgk5RSUnOhE

Front of the block is *gone*.

Just for the record, that appears to be a Nazi pak 40.. I've heard that the back blast makes your vision go black and red. :haw:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

And either the projectile is hilariously undersized to save the barrel, or the barrel is worn out, because it hits the truck going loving diagonally.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Godholio posted:

Everything is in the wrong place, except arguably the shifter (I hate dash shifters though). The little drawer and the radio are too far away and angled away from the driver, the gauges require you to look awkwardly to the side, half the HVAC controls are hidden behind the steering wheel, what the gently caress is above the radio is that a coin holder (?), and the cup holder is as far as they could put it without interfering with the passenger airbag. And that center...vent? What the gently caress.

Don't forget the handbrake is between the driver's seat and the door! It's a practical reminder that you can make someone get used to anything.

I have one.

E: the coin hold is another vent, and there are compartments on top of the dash in front of both seats, the fuse holder is buried under one.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 7, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How is the Lamborghini not dead as of the end of this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWedR5R3OW8

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Air intake is in the rear, the water wave is in the front. The actual water line never reached the intake.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Platystemon posted:

When you pay that much money for a car, you expect it to be capable of things that lesser plebian cars are not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He probably drove through there to put out a fire.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My favorite part is how every time they sped up the water crested to the windshield.

I wonder if they'd just mashed the gas they would have been able to completely submerge and come out the other side. Get enough speed and the water will spray over the top of the car and never make it to the intakes, right? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

When you pay that much money for a car, you expect it to be capable of things that lesser plebian cars are not.

Where's that story from the BMW U-boat commander here that returned their leased 5-series that'd been hydrolocked?