Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Getting a big John Harris vibe from these artworks, which is what makes me the most excited about a new Homeworld game. I'm a bit hyped

John Harris was actually cited as being one of the major influences on the art style in the game! In a way you could say that he was drawing Homeworld before Homeworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Did Gearbox ever give a final word on the remaster? Is it safe to assume that squad and formation stuff for the remaster is never happening and that the multiplayer will never leave beta?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Brutakas posted:

Did Gearbox ever give a final word on the remaster? Is it safe to assume that squad and formation stuff for the remaster is never happening and that the multiplayer will never leave beta?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I'm pretty sure they have everyone's money already. What does more effort get them?

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Litany Unheard posted:

I'm pretty sure they have everyone's money already. What does more effort get them?

More positive reviews and a longer tail of sales?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Gearbox has always struck me as a company that doesn't think too far beyond the next fiscal quarter.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Litany Unheard posted:

Gearbox has always struck me as a company that doesn't think too far beyond the next fiscal quarter.

suprised they didnt fix it but sell the patch as dlc

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Brutakas posted:

There is a beta "opt-in" patch available on steam where someone has gone to a lot of trouble to fix and balance a lot of things, including reworking frigates to not be fragile. I got the impression it was more a labor of love by someone in their free time than paid work though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Litany Unheard posted:

Their implementation of "restart the game but harder" difficulties in the Borderlands series is a testament to not only their lack of foresight, but their lack of capacity for introspection. That poo poo just becomes a pointless slog because they didn't scale weapons to match the increasing resilience of enemies, so you were just dodging OHK poo poo while dumping all of your ammo into poo poo you had previously been able to punch to death even with someone other than Krieg.

So yeah, Gearbox isn't good at considering anything not presently in front of their nose.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Phrosphor posted:

There is a beta "opt-in" patch available on steam where someone has gone to a lot of trouble to fix and balance a lot of things, including reworking frigates to not be fragile. I got the impression it was more a labor of love by someone in their free time than paid work though.

Probably a case of 'on company time, but only when he has nothing else to do', which is why formations will probably never be fixed :(

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
https://www.reddit.com/r/homeworld/comments/3xdlrb/the_mystical_megapatch_is_nigh/
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/future-mp-beta-patches/137564/504

Pertinent bits, courtesy of u/bitvenom, one of GBX's programmers:

quote:

I really, really hope everyone is happy with what we end up putting out... it has been SO MUCH work, I can't even begin to explain it. Though, it is likely we'll do a 'dev diary' about this last patch and the insane stuff we had to do... it may help other devs looking to do similar work in the future. Thanks for the kind words though, if it wasn't clear, we're still working for the fans - the chance of this just magically making a bank-busting amount of money is zero...

I can't go into details for many reasons... but think HW1 meets HW2 with new (better) stuff in the mix... 'stances'... um well, again, that is a bit hard to explain without releasing the patch. Certainly, in most ways that matter, the game can now play/feel like HW1, a bit less like HW2, and with new stuff which is neither, but is WAY BETTER.
As for Fuel - nobody on the dev team wanted it, including the original guys from Relic that did HW1/HW2. It isn't broken, the team overall just broadly didn't think it added to the game, and was a mistake which HW2 fixed. So will we put it back? Not a chance. For the fans that disagree - you have excellent Mod support and the ability to do 'custom ship' commands now that mean you can go live your dream...

Here's a quote from a beta tester (somebody who hasn't seen any of our work for months, and just saw it today) - a member of the community which isn't allowed to talk about it until it's public. So, I'll say what they said for them ;)
"WTF have you guys done? This isnt good, it is GREAT! It looks so good, and so smoth that i started to use hw1 hotkeys, i'm not kidding, it reminded me hw1 so much that i started to use the old hotkeys without realize... it is that good Congrats dudes, you guys nailed it!"
Now, we're not done yet, and these comments aren't some sort of endorsement/promise - but they made me very, very happy. It is exactly what I wanted to hear after kicking this code around. I hope we hear it from many, many more people/critics soon ;)
Oh, and regarding fuel... I want to make it clear that I read/hear that some see Fuel as a mechanic missing as a loss. I disagree, but that doesn't mean I can't see why they feel that way. I mean, people have very different preferences - and saying that something released in 99 one way is 'better' re-released in 2015 a different way is bound to be disagreeable for some. Certainly a Fuel-For-HW1 Mod shouldn't be too tough. I may even be willing to personally help, later ;)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My continuing concern is that even these very sporadic updates have always framed these patches in terms of multiplayer. Maybe this one is different and maybe it doesn't matter if changing one affects the other regardless but formations working in multiplayer but not single player isn't really the fix I'm looking for.

And fuel only ever really mattered in Kadesh so no big loss.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm assuming "Stances" means something like angling your tank to improve the chance of deflecting rounds or some poo poo. Defensive stance, gain 10% armor but lose some measure of mobility, etc.

A bit like the aggressive/defensive toggle where they talk about diverting power between shields/weapons.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy poo poo, I don't want to get excited but... holy poo poo.
Am I finally going to be able to play through HW1 again? :aaa:

Wonder if there's anything about projectiles acting like projectiles?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

And fuel only ever really mattered in Kadesh so no big loss.

Which has turned the Swarmers into absolute loving nightmares because their weakness has been neutered, but they're still as strong as they ever were, if not more so.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What if I loved the clean, minimalist HW1 UI and hated HW2 because of the UI changes, are they going to fix that?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bloodly posted:

Which has turned the Swarmers into absolute loving nightmares because their weakness has been neutered, but they're still as strong as they ever were, if not more so.

Nah Swarmers are way less of a problem because their speed doesn't make them dodge attacks anymore. You shoot at a swarmer and you roll the same dice, no matter how fast and at what angle it's going relative to the firing ship. It does mean that stationary swarmers are just as hard to hit as the ones that are flying around, but overall weight of fire cuts them down much more reliably.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Not the case-they still can't be hit by any attacks, and you still get the 'they're too fast' message.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

They apparently rewrote the movement code, which means that formations and grouping individual ships HW1 style have probably been implemented. Pretty nifty, hopefully they get it released soon.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ground RTS thingy looks cool. Gives me a bit of a Ground Control vibe? I think it's just the deserty planet.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

They apparently rewrote the movement code.

Thank god, that poo poo just didn't work.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It was also a big problem with the more complex mods with regard to performance. Apparently it was really bad and outdated (no surprise considering the history of the Homeworld 2 dev cycle). Who knows if they've fixed that problem though.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 24, 2015

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Still no official marketing from Gearbox, which is worrying, but I found some info on the forums:

quote:

Hiya ShaneWallis123! We were also hyped when it turned into a real Homeworld game instead of just a spiritual successor.

I'll try to answer some of your questions, though there will likely be a flood of info soon.

quote:

Originally posted by ShaneWallis123 View Post
Do we have a shipyard equivalent? Like sure we have small 'destroyer' sized production ships and the aircraft carriers but do we get larger shipyard esque production units or not?
The Command Carrier is your mobile shipyard, and produces everything from light attack vehicles to massive battle cruisers and aircraft.

quote:

Do hero units have better stats than the 'regular' version of their units like Captain Soban?
They have to, otherwise they wouldn't feel heroic!

quote:

From the images given to us we know 'Salvagers' can reactivate units, does this mean we will be able to activate some mothballed/damaged units on the battlefield? like an ancient hiigaran or taiidan land cruiser or something
I can confirm that the Salvagers are able to re-active mothballed units; this is an essential part of expanding the size and capabilities of your fleet. However, I can't comment on what units will be available to re-activate.

quote:

Can we build buildings like say barracks, dry docks, airfields ect ect or not? I imagine not due to it being completly against homeworld's classic mobile base gameplay but i thought it was worth asking
You're absolutely right that building structures would be inconsistent with Homeworld's mobile gameplay. We've gone out of our way to make a faithful precursor to HW1, and that includes maintaining a highly mobile fleet. There are a few small-scale emplacement (turrets, scanners) that can be placed to help support units during an engagement, but that is the extent of "static structures".

quote:

Are there infantry units in game? i havent seen any but that doesnt mean there are none i might just have missed them.
I assume by infantry you mean "people"? There are no "human" units in the game, for a variety of reasons, but mostly because we wanted to focus on large-scale vehicle combat. Even the smallest light vehicles in DoK would be an impressive size in real-life. Human units likely wouldn't fit into the scale and speed of the rest of the units.

That said, there are vehicles that fulfill the infantry role one would expect from army.

quote:

Does this game have modules/upgrades/customisation for our units? - Modules and upgrades were one of the many things i enjoyed in Homeworld 2 which was not in Homeworld 1 and mods which allowed further customisation of our ships were always favourites of mine
I don't want to spill the beans, but I can say that there will be a few ways in which Players can modify and upgrade their fleet.

quote:

Will we encounter factions we havent seen yet? since all the homeworld games have had 'mini' factions to fight], im not quite asking to be told what they are just weather or not we will
At this point in history, the Kushan are far more segregated into their separate Kiiths than during the construction and launch of the Mothership. The Campaign centers on an expedition by the "Coalition of the Northern Kiithid", which is a collection of many such Kiiths. Thus, many factions previously only mentioned in the Homeworld manual are represented. Not all are involved in actual gameplay, but some are.

All pretty vague, but it's something. :shrug:

Mordja fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 6, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nvm

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Homeworld: DoK developer posted:

I don't want to spill the beans...

The game is releasing this month. It may, in fact, be time for them to start spilling beans everywhere.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

This game is coming out in 2 weeks and I know nothing about it because there seems to be no marketing.

I know more about Hardware: Shipbreakers than this game.

An actual RTS that isn't about build orders and has a little of that lovely Relic assymetric warfare is exactly what I want to start my year with - but Gearbox have Such a bad rep and this is an untreated studio. I need information before I make a purchase and the lack of anything is making me really concerned.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You look for this game online and the last releases about it were nigh on 3 weeks ago. They need to pull it together or this will die on its arse on release day, and if they're hoping for multiplayer to take off, it isn't going to happen, especially if the starting balance is weak or the maps are garbage, which is how CoH2 was for months.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Deakul posted:

Holy poo poo, I don't want to get excited but... holy poo poo.
Am I finally going to be able to play through HW1 again? :aaa:

Wonder if there's anything about projectiles acting like projectiles?

This caught my attention too. I'm checking the news page for the game every day now. I tried the first mission the day the remaster released, but I decided to wait until they finished the game since it was my first time ever playing it. The game should be labeled early access until they have put out the product they described on the store page, i.e. a high definition and better GUI version of Homeworld 1 and 2.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CountingWizard posted:

This caught my attention too. I'm checking the news page for the game every day now. I tried the first mission the day the remaster released, but I decided to wait until they finished the game since it was my first time ever playing it. The game should be labeled early access until they have put out the product they described on the store page, i.e. a high definition and better GUI version of Homeworld 1 and 2.

It will be early access for eternity with the HW1 requirement in there.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The way Gearbox is handling DoK really makes it look like it's being shoved out the door to die quietly. You don't allocate 0 dollars to market something by accident. :raise:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Sindai posted:

The way Gearbox is handling DoK really makes it look like it's being shoved out the door to die quietly. You don't allocate 0 dollars to market something by accident. :raise:

On the other hand, if they spent that much money to market colonial marines and it was a fat turd, maybe this is so good they decided that they didn't need to market it. (Lol)

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Hey, remember how Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, that awesome tactical spaceship game died on its arse for exactly the same reason?

Because I do :(

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Nickiepoo posted:

Hey, remember how Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, that awesome tactical spaceship game died on its arse for exactly the same reason?

Did you know they tried to kickstart a second one?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

I get the feeling that this hastily converted F2P social media game might turn out to be bad!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nickiepoo posted:

NTJI was hard to market for.

Like it started off being a kinda Cannon Fodder-style puzzle game before moving into being a transdimensional post-apocalyptic space opera with pretty much zero warning.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

jBrereton posted:

NTJI was hard to market for.

Like it started off being a kinda Cannon Fodder-style puzzle game before moving into being a transdimensional post-apocalyptic space opera with pretty much zero warning.

Didn't it originally start life as part of Imperium Galactica 3?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Phrosphor posted:

I believe it was from the same company but I don't think they had planned on it being a 4X from the outset, it was also cobranded at one point too but it looks like they dropped the name. That's honestly why I never really liked it from the outset. IG2 was one of my favourite games and I wish GOG or some one would rerelease it. NTJI just struck me as a mildly fustrating space sim.

As for this latest Homewold spin off, I don't mind that there isn't much info out there. I don't really know what they could go into without really spoiling the game outright. I guess I'm just glad that its not F2P garbage anymore and a sorta proper RTS.

Have to see how the early reviews go before jumping in.

Edit:

Raygereio posted:

Yeah. It started as Imperium Galactica 3: Genesis. Then Digital Reality's publisher went bankrupt. The title was picked up by Philos Laboratories who renamed it to Galaxy Andromeda, but then these guys went bankrupt as well.
A lot of Philos' staff joined Mithis Entertainment, so I guess someone stuffed the game in his bag and took it with him to Mithis where it became Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.
Ah, now I remember that whole saga. Thats what really tanted the game for me - I had been really looking forward to a sequel of IG2 and it was scrapped and morphed into a space combat sim instead.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 7, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

Yeah. It started as Imperium Galactica 3: Genesis. Then Digital Reality's publisher went bankrupt. The title was picked up by Philos Laboratories who renamed it to Galaxy Andromeda, but then these guys went bankrupt as well.
A lot of Philos' staff joined Mithis Entertainment, so I guess someone stuffed the game in his bag and took it with him to Mithis where it eventually became Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.
Probably the only real traces left in Nexus of the 4x game it started as, were those neat transitions it had during mission briefing going from a galactic view, to a solar system, to a planetary orbit, etc.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

NTJI just struck me as a mildly fustrating space sim.
It honestly was. It had some terrible missions. In particular the mandatory stealth ones that were impossible to do without a guide or tedious trial&error.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

IG2 was one of my favourite games and I wish GOG or some one would rerelease it
You know you can play it on your phone, right?

• Locked thread