Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I watched The Face of Evil over a few days. (Still on the iPlayer!) It's interesting how, even though it's clearly not the best story ever made, I still have a far stronger sense of what it was about than most things this year, which came over to me as shallower than the shallow end of a paddling pool with a leak in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hnnngn.

From today's DWM:

New BF Trilogy coming this summer - The Two Masters, starring Geoffrey Beevers and Alexander MacQueen.

And You Will Obey Me - Written by Alan Barnes, Starring Peter Davison, Released April The Fifth Doctor arrives at a quiet churchyard in the English Countryside - the last supposed resting-place of the Geoffrey Beevers Master. But alien forces have gathered around, determined to ensure the Master will not rest in peace.

Vampire of the Mind - Written by Justin Richards, Starring Colin Baker, Released May The Sixth Doctor suspects the hand of his oldest enemy behind a spate of mysterious disappearances but will he even recognise this 'new' Master., when he arrives at the scene of one of their earlier encounters?

The Two Masters - Written by John Dorney, Starring Sylvester McCoy, Released June The Seventh Doctor is drawn into a desperate battle with his arch-enemy - squared!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Hnnngn.

From today's DWM:

New BF Trilogy coming this summer - The Two Masters, starring Geoffrey Beevers and Alexander MacQueen.

And You Will Obey Me - Written by Alan Barnes, Starring Peter Davison, Released April The Fifth Doctor arrives at a quiet churchyard in the English Countryside - the last supposed resting-place of the Geoffrey Beevers Master. But alien forces have gathered around, determined to ensure the Master will not rest in peace.

Vampire of the Mind - Written by Justin Richards, Starring Colin Baker, Released May The Sixth Doctor suspects the hand of his oldest enemy behind a spate of mysterious disappearances but will he even recognise this 'new' Master., when he arrives at the scene of one of their earlier encounters?

The Two Masters - Written by John Dorney, Starring Sylvester McCoy, Released June The Seventh Doctor is drawn into a desperate battle with his arch-enemy - squared!

This makes me so incredibly giddy.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-two-masters

And apparently, the Master will be showing up in the next Jago & Litefoot series as well…

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

On the whole, I thought the season suffered in the middle (The Zygon Invasion and Sleep No More being the absolute low points, with Sleep No More especially being a big dull nonsense of an episode) but was pretty dynamite at the beginning and end. Heaven Sent, Hell Bent and The Husbands of River Song just totally nailed it for me, all for different reasons - while Heaven Sent is this beautiful, tense horror/sci-fi story, Hell Bent and the Christmas special are big, bombastic creatures that manage to rollick along from plot point to plot point without ever losing coherence.

The most important high point of Hell Bent for me was that the show makes reference to its prior treatment of companions at the end of their runs - being written off by being effectively banished or by having their memories wiped, as a bit of tragic gristle for the Doctor to chew on - and then doesn't do it, instead honours Clara's character by letting her fly off into the sunset as an adventurer in her own right. It really felt like a huge lesson learned on the part of the show, and a great sendoff for one of the best companions in its history.

Christmas was similar for its treatment of River Song. Instead of being weepily dependent on the Doctor, we see that River has a rich and exciting life in which he does not feature, her own adventures, &c. At the same time, it honours her character deeply and delivers a great take on the nature of her relationship with the Doctor - rather than simply tragically unrequited, River's love for the Doctor in this episode is presented as a noble thing that's very difficult for her but is almost spiritual in nature.

She loves him for his qualities not on the basis of a false hope that he can love her back in the exact same way, but simply because she believes his qualities are worth loving. It's almost chivalric in nature, like the courtly "love at a distance" knights were supposed to have for their ladies, and it sets River up more as a heroic than a pathetic figure.

This in the midst of an otherwise gloriously silly episode about a diamond heist and a big red cyborg body that steals people's heads. I think it speaks to the strength and snappiness of the writing that it threads the needle between those two tonal extremes so deftly.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

The_Doctor posted:

Hnnngn.

BF knows what's up.

I'm surprised there haven't been more multi-doc (or multi-master) stories in the TV show :( A decade and only one story? When any special with multi-docs would have to create a huge ratings jolt, and surely the actors (minus say Eccleston) would be on board for the brief spotlight jolt for their careers, given that it's only a special without the full year/season commitment.

Less "one big five-doctor story every 20 years" and more 2-doc stories every year or two.

Still need 11 and 8 goddamnit.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The_Doctor posted:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

And apparently, the Master will be showing up in the next Jago & Litefoot series as well…

"Have you met the theatre's new patron, Lord Satmer?"

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

DirtyRobot posted:

I'm surprised there haven't been more multi-doc (or multi-master) stories in the TV show :( A decade and only one story? When any special with multi-docs would have to create a huge ratings jolt, and surely the actors (minus say Eccleston) would be on board for the brief spotlight jolt for their careers, given that it's only a special without the full year/season commitment.

Well, remember that multi-Doctor stories just wouldn't have been possible for the first five years of the revival, unless they wheeled in one of the older Doctors (as indeed they very briefly did).

I mean, I don't know the reasons, obviously. But when you've got a new actor in the role, you don't want to overshadow them by bringing back the old guy if you can possibly help it. In fact, the old guy might not even want to come back. And these days, once they've left the role of the Doctor, they generally go off to Hollywood and try and make it there, which limits their availability for filming on specific dates in the UK for a while. And don't forget, even if they do agree and their schedule works out, you need to pay them relatively handsomely to do so - clearly they (or more precisely, their agents) aren't going to just accept the usual Dr Who guest actor fee.

Plus, we all know now what happens when multiple Doctors meet up: they bicker a bit. I imagine the multiple Masters in the BF thing will do the same. I mean, there's just not much really there apart from the thrill of seeing two or more different Doctors together onscreen at the same time. I'm not saying it's wrong to want to see that, but it's a lot of scheduling, persuading and money for something which generally doesn't add all that much to the narrative. And, of course, it also makes it slightly more impenetrable for the average viewer who doesn't know who all these other guys are.

Personally, I think it's probably best if the continuity/what-if fan servicing is provided by Big Finish rather than the TV show.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

"Have you met the theatre's new patron, Lord Satmer?"

I take it you haven't heard Sixie's "The Last Adventure"?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I take it you haven't heard Sixie's "The Last Adventure"?

Not yet...?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CobiWann posted:

This makes me so incredibly giddy.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-two-masters

It's about time!

Another good example of Big Finish doing what the fans really want. I've been rewatching Blake's 7 and listening to the audios. I knew Warship existed, and when I through the first few episodes of Season 3, I not only was extremely interested in hearing a bridge between Star One and Aftermath, but I was also thinking "wow, it's pretty lovely the tv fobbed off Jenna and Blake like that, and that after a couple of episodes the Liberator crew stopped looking for them when it was so important at first to get Blake and Jenna back. It sure would be nice if BF did something about that."

Not only was Warship fantastic, I looked into it and saw they did exactly what I wanted with Liberator Chronicles 6!

Stuff like that and a multi-Master story is exactly what BF should be doing--not the only thing they should be doing of course, but it's something I'm very thankful they are doing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
What are the good Dalek audio stories other than Jubilee?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Apparently Moffat "cleared up" some of the lingering questions about Heaven Sent. I didn't think it needed clarification, but it's still kind of interesting.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-07/steven-moffat-has-filled-in-the-plot-holes-from-doctor-who-heaven-sent

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I can see myself giving quite a bit of money to Big Finish next year if I can afford it: after the Two Masters trilogy you have three stories featuring the Doctor, Ace and Mel that I'm really interested in hearing more about. Normally I wait for the special offers but for those two I'll make an exception and probably get a 6 release sub - the only reason I have so much on the earlier monthly range stuff is because its cheap, and thanks to an ex that spent far too much money on the stuff

computer parts posted:

I can't really think of any pure Dalek stories that are as good as Jubilee is - there are the four that you can get earlier in the monthly series that are worth the £2.99 they charge for them but honestly there are a bunch of stuff that are in those first 50 that I'd recommend over them. "Davros" is really good although not a Dalek story: most of it is just the Sixth Doctor and Davros talking to each other but it just works really well. Most of the Dalek stories I've heard are very safe and don't tend to take risks: that means that you never really get a total stinker (although Terror Firma was close), but you don't really get anything particularly hot either. The next monthly on my list is "Brotherhood of the Daleks" and I'll probably finish that in the gym tomorrow: I'll let you know if it was any good!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

computer parts posted:

I liked the first Eight Doctor Adventure, Blood of the Daleks. It's a solid B+ story, where Eight meets Lucie Miller for the first time and a planet that thinks the Daleks have come to save them are completely and utterly wrong.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

computer parts posted:

The Genocide Machine is a fun one. Though I have a soft spot for Seven, so...

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

What are the odds Matt Smith does audios within ten years? I wouldn't mind him being back soon.

Ten and Donna having new stories so soon is Great. I don't much like Ten except when he's with Donna.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

egon_beeblebrox posted:

What are the odds Matt Smith does audios within ten years? I wouldn't mind him being back soon.

Ten and Donna having new stories so soon is Great. I don't much like Ten except when he's with Donna.

10 years? 100%.

I'd be shocked if he wasn't in the BF studios within the next 2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I feel like Matt's already talked to BF and they're just waiting for the right moment to push forward.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shiftypenguin posted:

The Genocide Machine is a fun one. Though I have a soft spot for Seven, so...

I do too, I was actually gonna ask about him next.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Astroman posted:

10 years? 100%.

I'd be shocked if he wasn't in the BF studios within the next 2.

Yeah, too bad his bid for broader appeal has seemingly failed. Capaldi, however, probably doesn't need to care about Making It Big. I imagine his Doctor will be in Audios fairly quick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, too bad his bid for broader appeal has seemingly failed. Capaldi, however, probably doesn't need to care about Making It Big. I imagine his Doctor will be in Audios fairly quick.

Capaldi has already had quite the impressive career. Smith was a young fresh face when he took the role and hopefully has a long career ahead of him. Even Tennant's bid for US stardom didn't work out right away.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I believe Smith is playing Prince Philip in an upcoming Netflix period drama about the ascension of Elizabeth II. Pretty high budget too, from what I've heard. Seems like the sort of thing that could even get him an Emmy nod - the Academy eats that sort of thing up.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Love the idea of a Big Finish multiple-master story. I really loved their treatment of multiple Doctors in The Light at the End.

I think I liked the idea of Sleep No More a little more than the actual episode, maybe it was the fact that for once in all of Doctor Who history, a bunch of soldiers were not firing blindly at everything that moved. It ruined the suspension of disbelief, almost.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Love the idea of a Big Finish multiple-master story. I really loved their treatment of multiple Doctors in The Light at the End.

I think I liked the idea of Sleep No More a little more than the actual episode, maybe it was the fact that for once in all of Doctor Who history, a bunch of soldiers were not firing blindly at everything that moved. It ruined the suspension of disbelief, almost.

Sleep No More was a fantastic conceptual piece, and it would've worked a lot better as a story if they fully committed to the insane nightmarish In the Mouth of Madness storytelling. As it was, they tried to do too much with characterization and plot to make it more approachable, and they end up just getting lost between the two extremes.

If you're gonna do crazy poo poo, Moffat, go all in :colbert:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, too bad his bid for broader appeal has seemingly failed.

I don't know about that. Isn't he slated to be in the Terminator: Genesis Does What Nintendon't sequels? Also he has a role in Pride Prejudice and Zombies.

I mean he's not A List or whatever but he's getting parts.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 8, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

AndyElusive posted:

Also he has a role in Pride Prejudice and Zombies.

Fitting, since I'm pretty sure the Doctor condemned one of the Family Of Blood to a role in Pride Prejudice and Zombies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I finally caught up on The Diary of River Song and I really dug it, and I loved the interactions between her and McGann, they handled that in a really fantastic way. Also loved her outrage towards the antagonist when she realizes it is the 8th Doctor, and her description of what he is like is really sweet and moving :shobon:

The theme song is a hell of a lot of fun, but yeah it sounds so much like a James Bond theme that it is actually pretty distracting.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

egon_beeblebrox posted:

At the moment, BF's license only covers up to "The Time of the Doctor". They can't use Capaldi.

Yet

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

At the moment, BF's license only covers up to "The Time of the Doctor". They can't use Capaldi.

Yet

But capaldi cameod in Day of the Doctor!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

jivjov posted:

In this BF audio, Twelve has a mysterious illness that compels him to only every use the words "no", "sir", "all" and "thirteen"...

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

jivjov posted:

They can use an angry forehead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fil5000 posted:

They can use an angry forehead.

The 1960s Props Department would have killed to have the luxury of Attack Eyebrows to use during the Hartnell years :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Speaking of which, it's William Hartnell's (and my dad's) birthday! :toot:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

And More posted:

I feel The Girl Who Died is a bit underappreciated here as far as terrible moments go. That episode had the Doctor translate for a baby for like three minutes, after all.
Having just had a baby, that was actually the most emotional moment of the whole series for me. The thought that a baby's cries would literally translate to it trying to tell its parents "I hear shouting, I'm afraid, I'm afraid" was absolutely gut-wrenching.

The rest of the series, though... Put it this way, it's the first time since the revival started that I not only missed episodes, but didn't care. (I stopped after the second Maisie Williams one and didn't come back until the finale.) Something about the show's... "attitude", for want of a better word, is rubbing me the wrong way. It's become way too smug and pleased with itself, all clever-clever banter and endless one-liners and stupid jokes, and what makes it worse is that there's almost always something really good and emotionally effective buried amongst the poo poo.

Still, at least Clara's gone, even if she was written out in the most transparent "we can bring this beloved character back for a guest spot at any time!" way. They gave her a loving TARDIS, seriously? gently caress Clara.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, weird as it is to say, Clara is Moffat's Rose.

Both are hugely important figures in the Doctor's life for Reasons, both got a deeply emotional connection with him, and both ended up being Doctor-Esque people who even got their own TARDIS.

The issue is that, as amazing as it is to say about Rose considering she also got her own Doctor out of the trouble- Rose was written with infinitely more restraint than Clara.

Even when you come down to the one bullet point where they have an identically stupid thing happen with them, (IE both get their own TARDIS) you at least have the excuse of Rose having to wait for her TARDIS to grow and it was an actual gift AND having an iteration of the Doctor to help her pilot it later-

Clara just steals one from the Time Lords and is going off of a manual and isn't that precious. She's going to be hunted down and killed in a week.

Both are extremely stupid, but the Rose one less so for me at least.

And Rose never influenced the Doctor as a child.

Or was at every major and minor point of his history.

Or any of the other bullshit Clara fell into doing.

Christ if Clara was the one who got trapped in the mirror universe, the Doctor would have damned space and time itself to get her back with the way he's written now.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I know you're a fan of paragraphing but you really ought to tone it down a bit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I get much more of a Clara-Rose vibe with 11, at least in terms of shipping.

12 is needy but (by the end of the episode) he's kinda accepted that he can't do everything. And honestly it's a better resolution than the Amy sendoff of "The Doctor can't ever see them again because of a bullshit rule that the audience doesn't really understand".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

I get much more of a Clara-Rose vibe with 11, at least in terms of shipping.

12 is needy but (by the end of the episode) he's kinda accepted that he can't do everything. And honestly it's a better resolution than the Amy sendoff of "The Doctor can't ever see them again because of a bullshit rule that the audience doesn't really understand".

Honestly this is why I wish they had just left off with them parting ways, or even the Christmas Special last year. ...two years ago. You know what I mean.

Just change the line slightly so that old woman Clara had seen the Doctor since he had last seen her to leave open room for future adventures if they wanted. I don't know why every Companion needs to have the door slammed shut on them.

Martha, Mickey and Jack didn't need that to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Payndz posted:

Still, at least Clara's gone, even if she was written out in the most transparent "we can bring this beloved character back for a guest spot at any time!" way. They gave her a loving TARDIS, seriously? gently caress Clara.
Clara and Ashilder, as immortal as they are, have no idea how to operate a TARDIS. The show, modern and classic, has made a point of explaining how terrifying and dangerous it is to time travel even with an excellent pilot. They better hope the Time Lords catch up with them.

Burkion posted:

I don't know why every Companion needs to have the door slammed shut on them.
I think it's because Moffat believes more drama is automatically more entertaining to watch.

• Locked thread