Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I believe it was from the same company but I don't think they had planned on it being a 4X from the outset, it was also cobranded at one point too but it looks like they dropped the name. That's honestly why I never really liked it from the outset. IG2 was one of my favourite games and I wish GOG or some one would rerelease it. NTJI just struck me as a mildly fustrating space sim.

I could've sworn you could pick imperium galactica II up from somewhere for pc? No? If you have an ipad, or android tablet; it was released on their respective app stores for some bizarre reason. IG2 never struck me as the kind of game that would work well on tablets.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digitalreality.ig2&hl=en_GB
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/imperium-galactica-2/id510652364?mt=8

Some quick googling and you can get the original game via :files: but I've no idea what it's compatibility with modern systems is like. Personally, when I tried it on android I quickly realized i had rose tinted glasses when it came to faults the game has, it has not aged well imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Yeah. It started as Imperium Galactica 3: Genesis. Then Digital Reality's publisher went bankrupt. The title was picked up by Philos Laboratories who renamed it to Galaxy Andromeda, but then these guys went bankrupt as well.
A lot of Philos' staff joined Mithis Entertainment, so I guess someone stuffed the game in his bag and took it with him to Mithis where it eventually became Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.
Probably the only real traces left in Nexus of the 4x game it started as, were those neat transitions it had during mission briefing going from a galactic view, to a solar system, to a planetary orbit, etc.

It honestly was. It had some terrible missions. In particular the mandatory stealth ones that were impossible to do without a guide or tedious trial&error.

It was really bad about explaining how things worked before throwing them at you. Stealth is the big one but it also did it with when Shields first show up and just the general progression of Ship Upgrades wher eit seemed to expect you to plan ahead in how you upgrade, which is impossible without foreknowledge.

Like the learning curve was more like a vertical cliff but pretty fun once you knew what the hell the game was actually doing.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

rocket_Magnet posted:

I could've sworn you could pick imperium galactica II up from somewhere for pc? No? If you have an ipad, or android tablet; it was released on their respective app stores for some bizarre reason. IG2 never struck me as the kind of game that would work well on tablets.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digitalreality.ig2&hl=en_GB
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/imperium-galactica-2/id510652364?mt=8

Some quick googling and you can get the original game via :files: but I've no idea what it's compatibility with modern systems is like. Personally, when I tried it on android I quickly realized i had rose tinted glasses when it came to faults the game has, it has not aged well imo.

When the tablet version came out I had hoped it would also get a release for modern PCs but that never happen. I don't happen to own a tablet and don't want to try playing a game like that on a Galaxy S4 so I never looked into it further.

I also have the original disks around somewhere, likely covered in a decade's worth of dust. I know the software as it was released really doesn't like modern hardware so I've never been bothered to go back to them.

But if the game hasn't aged well, as you said, maybe its best to just remember it as it was back then rather than what it is now.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Phrosphor posted:

Did you know they tried to kickstart a second one?

:( :( :(

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

:smith:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Assuming the game is actually good, they really should have taken a page from XCom 2's media rollout.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Anybody remember that Haegemonia: Legions of Iron was also based on Imperium Galactica 3? The original team spilt into one group that wanted to do 4X and another that wanted to do epic missions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Daimo posted:

Anybody remember that Haegemonia: Legions of Iron was also based on Imperium Galactica 3? The original team spilt into one group that wanted to do 4X and another that wanted to do epic missions.

I remember Haegemonia. Finicky as gently caress to control units in 3 dimensions, but it was really drat pretty for the time.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Haegemonia had the best explosions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deserts of kharak looks real good and if it's like ground-based homeworld that would be awesome to build mods off.

But there's no information and it popped out of nowhere so it's probably going to be real bad :(

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I have one of these too :smith:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Game is kill, basically. It's a loving multiplayer focused game but they haven't done any marketing. Seeing as this is Gearbox there's a pretty good chance it's a complete mess. The Aliens game had the exact same MO before release.

As to the other discussion, The Mandate kickstarter is probably the closest thing we'll get to Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. The combat stuff they've shown is very similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf-lB51wlNo

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i liked nexus a whole lot but, yeah, it was a pretty bizarre game

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

If Gearbox manages to gently caress up the first Homeworld sequel in loving ages I am going to be loving livid. I won't be surprised but I will be so loving angry. Jesus Christ. Please, please just let Shipbreakers be amazing. I know it won't be though. I think we all know that.

And put me down for another "pledged to Nexus 2 and angry it didn't get made" post. Nexus 1 was weird and flawed but really pretty excellent overall.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Did some exploring for info on the game today and from I have managed to garner the BBI guys are DESPERATE to drop info but the marketing is being handled by Gearbox's Marketing team and they can't do anything without stepping on the toes.

Redacted Post posted:

"The trouble is that ...

Gearbox is hesitant to over-hype (understandably, based on past history), so they aren't saying much, and
since they're running the marketing campaign, us dev folks are hesitant to jump the gun and spoil their fun

... so we end up with a minor deadlock and you guys don't get the information we'd love to share.

Don't take this as a criticism of Gearbox either, they have been great to work with and I'm confident they know what they're doing. Some time very soon (but sorry, I honestly don't know exactly when) the information will start to flow. And once the game is out of course we will all be at liberty to talk freely.

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit, even if it's not exactly what you wanted to hear. "

The source was here but has been removed by the dev that posted it...

http://forums.blackbirdinteractive.com/forum/deserts-of-kharak/deserts-of-kharak-general-discussion/666-2-weeks-till-release/page2

So Gearbox are on track to gently caress everything up again. Their marketing team are probably all deciding how to market the next Borderlands dlc and gave this game to an intern.

Edit: Also the OFFICIAL FORUM has adds being posted in their general discussion. Wow.
http://forums.blackbirdinteractive.com/forum/main-forum/829-healthy-weight-loss-supplements

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 8, 2016

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I'm still holding out on the notion that the game will be good it's just that Gearboxes marketing is dumb as crap. Maybe.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Gearbox are doing all my expectation dampening for me, how convenient.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nickiepoo posted:

I'm still holding out on the notion that the game will be good it's just that Gearboxes marketing is dumb as crap. Maybe.

Yeah I'm hoping so too, gearbox are idiots but the dev team apparently has good pedigree.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If the game was good we'd already be seeing streams of it. There's no need to "hype" a good game, you just hand it off to the appropriate youtube/twitch personalities (in this case, any of them who show off strategy titles) and let them play the game while people watch. Like what XCOM 2 is doing or what City: Skylines did.

That or the game is amazing and Gearbox is incompetent. Honestly I could believe either one.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Litany Unheard posted:

If the game was good we'd already be seeing streams of it. There's no need to "hype" a good game, you just hand it off to the appropriate youtube/twitch personalities (in this case, any of them who show off strategy titles) and let them play the game while people watch. Like what XCOM 2 is doing or what City: Skylines did.

That or the game is amazing and Gearbox is incompetent. Honestly I could believe either one.

Yeah one guy, who was leaving the company, chilling out in the evenings and streaming skylines did wonders for its release popularity. The game being really good did all the advertising needed. And the xcom2 hype train is getting huge after last night's streams.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

There wasn't just the streams, the embargo dropped on the press build so you started seeing articles all over the place. The press build was good so games journalists were tripping over themselves to gush about it, but the embargo was key here. A switch was flipped and suddenly everywhere was full of XCOM2. However even before this there had been a dripfeed of YouTube videos and articles on different mechanics and enemies. It's a pretty traditional campaign well executed, and obviously it's easier to market a good game than a bad game.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Antti posted:

There wasn't just the streams, the embargo dropped on the press build so you started seeing articles all over the place. The press build was good so games journalists were tripping over themselves to gush about it, but the embargo was key here. A switch was flipped and suddenly everywhere was full of XCOM2. However even before this there had been a dripfeed of YouTube videos and articles on different mechanics and enemies. It's a pretty traditional campaign well executed, and obviously it's easier to market a good game than a bad game.
The embargo will not be dropped on this until release day (maybe +1 if there are no press copies)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Litany Unheard posted:

I'm hoping it's the latter. Maybe it's not even about Gearbox being incompetent but them just not really caring about an RTS game in the year 2016 where it's mostly a dead genre. Why bother funding it in the first place though?? I dunno

Even if it is poo poo I don't think it makes much sense to hold back on so much information. If you got a dud you market it as much as possible and hope people preorder it.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 8, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Asking why gearbox does things is about as fruitful as asking why hurricanes.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

A new trailer appears: https://youtu.be/K7ior9JoUE0

The music, visuals, theming all look great, but I really want to see how it plays.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 8, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Phrosphor posted:

The music, visuals, theming all look great, but I really want to see how it plays.

I'm guessing it's much the same "gather resources, build ships vehicles at your mobile construction center, destroy the enemy" kind of gameplay Homeworld always had, except on the ground.

I'm honestly a tad dismayed that Kushans/Hiigarans actually turn out to be just white folks. It had never been very clear in the previous games, but I'd always imagined them as vaguely Middle Eastern / Central Asian, fitting with the naming conventions and themes.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Phrosphor posted:

In the perfect world the guy who designed rails and metal is among BBI's employees.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So, it looks like Complex Mod v 10 is due for release in April for the new engine, and there's 2 hours of gameplay to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUul2GSDzc

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Dukka posted:

In the perfect world the guy who designed rails and metal is among BBI's employees.

I heard some guy made a map called "Operation: Use Tab" that they should probably consult with.

On a more serious note that shot of the landcarrier cruising into the sunset looked pretty.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 8, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Phrosphor posted:

gently caress sakes it's all cappuccino froth again. Where is the game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Phrosphor posted:

Lol they have FMV.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

USE THE LEFT MOUSE BUTTON ON THE UNIT TO SELECT IT

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

OwlFancier posted:

So, it looks like Complex Mod v 10 is due for release in April for the new engine, and there's 2 hours of gameplay to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUul2GSDzc

Oh weird, fighters and corvettes are single units now.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

DrSunshine posted:

I'm guessing it's much the same "gather resources, build ships vehicles at your mobile construction center, destroy the enemy" kind of gameplay Homeworld always had, except on the ground.

I'm honestly a tad dismayed that Kushans/Hiigarans actually turn out to be just white folks. It had never been very clear in the previous games, but I'd always imagined them as vaguely Middle Eastern / Central Asian, fitting with the naming conventions and themes.

They really shouldn't be white. They've been on a desert planet for generations. By the time of HW2 yeah Karan being white is semi plausible, with some hyperspace core fuckery on top.

Also, there's stuff hyperspacing, tons of spaceships wrecks, ion cannons from orbit and "the planet at war"? None of that fits with the backstory. loving pointless retconning.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I don't actually care about the integrity of the homeworld canon

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
If Mad Max has taught me anything, it's that being a slave to continuity is overrated.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

They really shouldn't be white. They've been on a desert planet for generations. By the time of HW2 yeah Karan being white is semi plausible, with some hyperspace core fuckery on top.

Also, there's stuff hyperspacing, tons of spaceships wrecks, ion cannons from orbit and "the planet at war"? None of that fits with the backstory. loving pointless retconning.

Actually i am pretty sure the Kiths being at war with each other is actual old Canon, finding the Map is what makes them all start working together If I remember my HW Manual correctly.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So what would the repercussions be if a lead dev said "gently caress it" and started streaming the first mission or early parts of a skirmish anyway? Instant termination or even less marketing?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

USE THE LEFT MOUSE BUTTON ON THE UNIT TO SELECT IT

When I saw that I thought "zero effort". Thanks again Gearbox!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I didnt know about the kickstarter until a few days after it ended :(

The only other one i have to my name was the kickstarter that tried to buy out the Homeworld IP. I put 50 into that one. Took the company nearly 3 months to refund me after Gearbox got the winning bid.

• Locked thread