Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Kamikaze Raider posted:

There's a Catan community? :psyduck:

They've got bigass Catan tournaments and poo poo. Normies, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Catan sells. Well. :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gutter Owl posted:

So Catan has moved from Mayfair Games to Asmodee NA, further swelling Asmodee's all-consuming mass. (BGG, Mayfair's press release)

I know no one here cares much about Catan as a hunk of cardboard. But on an industry level, this is kinda earth-shaking news.

Ahahaha, I can imagine the LGSs that will cheer due to the upcoming asmodee online pricing policy. However, their copies will still sit on the shelf with a layer of dust since Catan buyers are still gonna buy them at target or online.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

A ton of non-nerds think Catan is like the height of board gaming.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I've met people who don't play board games, they just play Catan. Like, almost every day; and if there's a day they're not playing Catan, you can bet they're looking for players to fill those days.

I know, it boggles my mind, too.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I played Catan yesterday, for the first time. It went better than Avalon and Codenames.

I need a better family.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Things you don't want to hear from your teammates while playing Codenames: "Huh, this board has a few words that could mean more than one thing."

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
poo poo, last time I came around here, people were all about Catan. I guess the worm has turned. I was never interested in a deterministic Euro math game, myself.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Actually the problem people have with Catan is that its randomness obfuscates any real choices a player can make.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Anonymous Robot posted:

poo poo, last time I came around here, people were all about Catan. I guess the worm has turned. I was never interested in a deterministic Euro math game, myself.

Don't worry, the goons still love their wooden block trading games, Catan just isn't hardcore enough of a wooden block trading game to keep up anymore. :)

Myself I've never been a big fan of that sort of thing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My family was lukewarm on Catan and in fact most games I've tried to introduce them too.

The two that have gone well are Kemet, which they like, and Coup, which they adore.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've really got to try Kemet again one day. I played it once on two player, was stomped, and got really soured on the whole thing. Really need to get more than one other person to play and experience this hullabaloo everyone is talking about.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chomp8645 posted:

My family was lukewarm on Catan and in fact most games I've tried to introduce them too.

The two that have gone well are Kemet, which they like, and Coup, which they adore.

Good Lord, how did you get them to hang on for Kemet?

I played Lost Cities and Modern Art with the family over the holiday. Lost Cities (the card game) was an instant hit and everyone wanted to play it, repeatedly. Modern Art did not go over nearly as well, which disappointed me.

Patchwork is incredible and might be my favourite two-player game at the moment. People that rarely touch board games instantly get it and the tactile/tetris like effect of building your board and balancing time/cost is tons of fun. Highly recommended.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Morpheus posted:

I've really got to try Kemet again one day. I played it once on two player, was stomped, and got really soured on the whole thing. Really need to get more than one other person to play and experience this hullabaloo everyone is talking about.

Two player Kemet is terrible. It should not say on the box that it can be played with that amount. It's like playing the Game of Thrones game with 3 or 4 players and RAW.

FulsomFrank posted:

Good Lord, how did you get them to hang on for Kemet?

Persistence, mainly.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Yeah, kemet two player works until the first fight, then it crumbles horribly into a one sided slaughter that plays out inevitably over several turns.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
A buddy and I really like Kemet 2 player and tend to have great back and forth games. I do think it's better and more interesting at higher counts, but I think it's fine 2 player as long as players are semi-equally experienced.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Paper Kaiju posted:

I've met people who don't play board games, they just play Catan. Like, almost every day; and if there's a day they're not playing Catan, you can bet they're looking for players to fill those days.

I know, it boggles my mind, too.

This is the arm of someone I know. Apologies for the poor quality, but I cropped it to protect the innocent.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
There are no innocents here, everyone is guilty by association.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

shut it down, board games are over, everyone go home

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I used to play in a Catan tournament every year, and one time I jokingly offered a friend of mine sheep for sheep which lead to one of the other players giving a 5 minute lesson on how that's against the rules and cheating and an affront to god.

I'm pretty sure that was actually the last time I ever played.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Big McHuge posted:

I used to play in a Catan tournament every year, and one time I jokingly offered a friend of mine sheep for sheep which lead to one of the other players giving a 5 minute lesson on how that's against the rules and cheating and an affront to god.

I'm pretty sure that was actually the last time I ever played.

That guy was cool as hell.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

With regard to Catan's popularity, does it have a lot to do with timing? My understanding is that when it was available first in the US (late 90s), the board game situation for adults was pretty grim, outside of grognard stuff.

It turns out my area has a good FLGS so I went and played with some folks last night. My first game of Dixit (really impressed), then I taught everyone to play 7 Wonders which took pretty well, and then we got a little into a game of Dead of Winter. I can't really get into heavily themed games when I feel the theme is dumb, so the zombie game didn't take. I'm guessing there are American-style games out there that I'd actually like, but who knows?

Part of the shop's impressive selection of demo games:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Catan was pretty much THE gateway game for a long time. Probably for the reason you mention, that it was the first Euro style game to really gain traction stateside and make people realize that board games could be fun instead of a tedious rainy day diversion for children. I've vowed to never intentionally play another game of it again, but I have a soft spot in my heart for introducing me to the hobby.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Please do not post disturbing filth like this in the thread.

A friendly reminder to everyone: shelve your games vertically. Namaste.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Catan is still the best seller at my local shop.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Ojetor posted:

Please do not post disturbing filth like this in the thread.

A friendly reminder to everyone: shelve your games vertically. Namaste.

I, too, like warped boards.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Acolyte! posted:

I can only imagine what it would do to my stack of Combat Commander paper maps.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Acolyte! posted:

I see people posting this poo poo in BGG circles all the time but I've stored most of my collection (150+ games) vertically for years and I've never seen noticeable warping. I can only assume it's either a myth, only applies to a specific type of board, or a result of more circumstances than just "vertical storage".

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Maybe if there is a ton of space inside so that the board goes like this / and ends up with a droop in the middle??

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Maybe they live in a swamp?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I'd actually be interested to hear what games people started out with and what they enjoy now. Would it be mostly Catan for people in the last 10ish years?

D&d adventure system ravenloft -> more thematic co-op ameritrash and also mage knight and mostly. Euro competitive games make my partner brainbarf :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Boards would take a long while to warp but if you had figures and token and cards and poo poo I could easily see some dudes getting bent or losing a sword if you stack them vertical all the time.

Especially if they're demo units at a store that are being regularly played by people who don't own them and don't give them as much care as you might at home.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'd actually be interested to hear what games people started out with and what they enjoy now. Would it be mostly Catan for people in the last 10ish years?

D&d adventure system ravenloft -> more thematic co-op ameritrash and also mage knight and mostly. Euro competitive games make my partner brainbarf :(

Settlers for about 2 years (though I didn't really play more than once a month outside of the first month or two I discovered it), then Munchkin and Citadels for about 6 months, then the WoW board game (the really huge 3v3 one) for another year+ with some Pandemic, Small World, and Agricola thrown in. After that I moved away from most of my friends and so I had to look into online play if I wanted to keep playing, and that introduced me to a much broader category of game.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It seems like storing games vertically would make all the contents more liable to spill and get mixed up.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

My friend suggested playing a 6p game of Here I Stand. None of us have played before and I don't trust two of the players to be "good" in the sense that they seem to have difficulty forming basic strategies in most games I've seen them play in. Do I agree to play or do I find an excuse to be busy forever?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

GrandpaPants posted:

My friend suggested playing a 6p game of Here I Stand. None of us have played before and I don't trust two of the players to be "good" in the sense that they seem to have difficulty forming basic strategies in most games I've seen them play in. Do I agree to play or do I find an excuse to be busy forever?
Here I Stand is a heavy duty wargame that takes a huge time to play and requires players to be on the ball in order to not unbalance the game. If you are that worried about two of the players it probably won't be a pleasent experience.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

My start was the stereotypical combination of Catan and Munchkin three or four years ago which in turn led me to actively seek out the SA boardgame thread. I thought everyone was kind of an rear end in a top hat and way too harsh initially but then it made me realize those games were in fact actual poo poo and caused me to be way more critical of design and quality and now I get to be the rear end in a top hat who's telling my friends they're idiots for buying awful poo poo sight unseen.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Gumdrop Larry posted:

My start was the stereotypical combination of Catan and Munchkin three or four years ago which in turn led me to actively seek out the SA boardgame thread. I thought everyone was kind of an rear end in a top hat and way too harsh initially but then it made me realize those games were in fact actual poo poo and caused me to be way more critical of design and quality and now I get to be the rear end in a top hat who's telling my friends they're idiots for buying awful poo poo sight unseen.

My gateway game was Arkham Horror.

I still don't know how I got into this hobby.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I started with Arkham Horror and loved it to bits. I also used to play Munchkin and Talisman iirc, as well as Fluxx and Bang. When I played Caylus I thought it was dry and boring.

My tastes shifted once I played Android, which I hated even though I wanted to love. Also I started agreeing with some of the stuff that Broken Loose was saying in regards to game design. I mellowed out since then though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

It seems like storing games vertically would make all the contents more liable to spill and get mixed up.

Baggies and Planos