Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

PT6A posted:

Yeah, if anything it's just a waste of money. They shouldn't necessarily do it again, but given that the money's already been spent, I don't see a particular problem with the result.

I mean, also the fact that they spent that money to turn 2 innocent people into criminals and lock them up, and that was the best possible result?

I mean, could you imagine if they picked someone who was actually dangerous at all?

Tochiazuma posted:

Hey we just diverted the entire road maintenance budget of our city into fixing one pothole but that pothole sure got fixed so what's everyone bitching about

That's not fair! Most of that money went into renting a jackhammer so that we could make the pothole!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Whiskey Sours posted:

The RCMP spent $20 million dollars to trick two mentally ill drug addicts into committing a terrorist plot in order to create fear in the general populace and justify the need for more counter-terrorist funding?

Don't forget they liaised with the FBI to bring this abortion of an operation to fruition. Literally rounded up the the :airquote: smartest minds :airquote: in anti-terrorism to bring a fabricated terrorism case against drug addicts.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

senae posted:

That's not fair! Most of that money went into renting a jackhammer so that we could make the pothole!

It started out with a guy trying to dig a tunnel to Parliament with an icicle by stabbing it into the wall of a bus stop, how did it end up like this?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

the RCMP got them off the streets.

this is an extremely generous reading of the RCMP's actions and intent

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

flakeloaf posted:

It started out with a guy trying to dig a tunnel to Parliament with an icicle by stabbing it into the wall of a bus stop, how did it end up like this?

Was it a terrorist attack tunnel? We could have a whole new avenue of funding here.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Kafka Esq. posted:

Was it a terrorist attack tunnel? We could have a whole new avenue of funding here.

Way ahead of you, I've already got an email out to Bruce Heyman demanding that he add Canada to the list of high-risk terrorist attack tunnel countries so we can ram that legislation through.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Remember when province threatened not to renew the RCMP's contract? I was so excited at that prospect.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What I object to is the seemingly common assumption that the two convicted terrorists were somehow hard-done-by. Yes, the operation was probably a complete waste of time and money, but the victims are the taxpayers. The folks who wanted to blow up parliament got what they deserved, regardless of their incompetence.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Stop posting idiot

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

What I object to is the seemingly common assumption that the two convicted terrorists were somehow hard-done-by. Yes, the operation was probably a complete waste of time and money, but the victims are the taxpayers. The folks who wanted to blow up parliament got what they deserved, regardless of their incompetence.

So if there was a low-cost, efficient way for the RCMP to detect every person in Canada, especially developmentally delayed individuals, who could be convinced or cajoled into committing terrorism and have them plant inert pressure cookers in public or some equivalent, you'd like to see them all become convicted terrorists? You're saying that this is good policy if only there were a way to make it cost effective?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ikantski posted:

So if there was a low-cost, efficient way for the RCMP to detect every person in Canada, especially developmentally delayed individuals, who could be convinced or cajoled into committing terrorism and have them plant inert pressure cookers in public or some equivalent, you'd like to see them all become convicted terrorists? You're saying that this is good policy if only there were a way to make it cost effective?

Yes. I think you're vastly overstating the amount of people who could be talked into bombing parliament, mentally unstable or otherwise. Unlike apparently some people here, I don't think that the average mentally ill person or drug addict can be talked into such a flagrantly terrible act as setting a bomb and trying to blow people up.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Ikantski posted:

why stop at developmentally disabled individuals? if we can get costs low enough we could also target the poor, minorities, people with fringe political beliefs, people who read too much, people who protest police abuses...

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

PT6A posted:

Yes. I think you're vastly overstating the amount of people who could be talked into bombing parliament, mentally unstable or otherwise. Unlike apparently some people here, I don't think that the average mentally ill person or drug addict can be talked into such a flagrantly terrible act as setting a bomb and trying to blow people up.

If it's easy enough to convince otherwise sensible people to occupy a ranger station in the winter with no supplies, or willingly pack a car full of bombs for the express purpose of going to an afterlife you can't even confirm to exist, I doubt it would be hard to get the majority of the mentally ill to commit heinous acts if you push their buttons the right way.

Which is completely besides the point: cops shouldn't use the mentally ill for anything.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Can we just add "If given the chance and 20 million dollars, would you bomb Parliament?" to the census? Then we arrest anyone that says yes

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ikantski posted:

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A how are you actually arguing in favour of entrapment? Because that's what this is. Of mentally handicapped individuals too :psyduck:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Is the 20 million in USD or CAD?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

CLAM DOWN posted:

PT6A how are you actually arguing in favour of entrapment? Because that's what this is. Of mentally handicapped individuals too :psyduck:

for real, jesus loving christ

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

PT6A how are you actually arguing in favour of entrapment?

In a sense, yes. I'm strongly against entrapment in general, but I don't really mind "entrapping" people into murdering or blowing poo poo up (or both!) because, if you can be talked into that sort of thing, you're a broken person anyway and you need heavily supervised mental help. This is not a case of someone being talked into selling some drugs or loving a hooker; they wanted to set a bomb to blow up parliament. Whether you want to do that of your own free will, or because someone suggested it, you are too dangerous to be simply left alone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

In a sense, yes. I'm strongly against entrapment in general, but I don't really mind "entrapping" people into murdering or blowing poo poo up (or both!) because, if you can be talked into that sort of thing, you're a broken person anyway and you need heavily supervised mental help. This is not a case of someone being talked into selling some drugs or loving a hooker; they wanted to set a bomb to blow up parliament. Whether you want to do that of your own free will, or because someone suggested it, you are too dangerous to be simply left alone.

They're mentally handicapped. Developmentally delayed. They're not of sound mind and judgement due to no fault of their own, they're sick. They ARE broken people, medically. How are you pro-entrapment of these people, I literally cannot comprehend what you are saying.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

Fair enough. I'm not so much against it because of the amount of people, more just the notion of having the police out there teaching people how to commit crimes and then convincing them to do it. I do honestly feel like if I was the guy in charge and you gave me $20m, 200 staff and 6 months per retarded homeless person or couple, I could get a whole lot of them to plant a bomb somewhere. Probably just vanity.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Mentally handicapped convicted terrorists, thank you very much :freep:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

They're mentally handicapped. Developmentally delayed. They're not of sound mind and judgement due to no fault of their own, they're sick. They ARE broken people, medically. How are you pro-entrapment of these people, I literally cannot comprehend what you are saying.

Oh okay, I guess we should just let them wander about until they kill someone either on purpose or because they botch another lovely plan.

I already said they need mental health treatment more than prison, but either way I'm very glad they're going to be in custody for a long time.

I'd like to think that most mentally ill people are not a few conversations away from trying to blow up a government building and/or kill people.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

Oh okay, I guess we should just let them wander about until they kill someone either on purpose or because they botch another lovely plan.

I already said they need mental health treatment more than prison, but either way I'm very glad they're going to be in custody for a long time.

I'd like to think that most mentally ill people are not a few conversations away from trying to blow up a government building and/or kill people.

But that's the point. When someone's brain is actually broken, when they are mentally handicapped and sick, you have literally no idea how they're going to behave and you cannot predict that. The solution to this isn't to have the loving RCMP entrap them on terrorism charges, but to get them into the healthcare system. How can you think this was an acceptable method? They don't deserve to be in custody jesus christ, they deserve to be in a healthcare facility getting the help they need.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

PT6A posted:

this is like arguing in favour of sending khadr to gitmo for the sole reason that he'd get free dental care there

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The wasted money is like the least significant part of the story about how the elected government conspired with our national security apparatus to create public anxieties about terrorism, with the conviction concurring just months before an election where the reigning government tried to use fear of terrorism and Muslims to get re-elected.

It says something about how totally disinterested people are in the idea of "democracy" that they can only see this story as either 1) the government unfairly victimizing the mentally ill or 2) the government wasting money. We're so used to the government (both the elected government and the bureaucracy) manipulating the public that it's not even seen as unusual or noteworthy.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It can be all three at once.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm curious why it is the goal of our security apparatus to identify people at risk of radicalization, and then act to radicalize them. As opposed to say, identifying people at risk of radicalization (mentally ill or otherwise), and then pushing them into support programs to help address the issues leading them towards committing a terrorist act.

From an outside perspective, the later seems preferable to the former, both in terms of outcomes and cost.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

infernal machines posted:

I'm curious why it is the goal of our security apparatus to identify people at risk of radicalization, and then act to radicalize them. As opposed to say, identifying people at risk of radicalization (mentally ill or otherwise), and then pushing them into support programs to help address the issues leading them towards committing a terrorist act.

From an outside perspective, the later seems preferable to the former, both in terms of outcomes and cost.

My backwards redneck sensibilities can't ejaculate to that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

This only works if they want help. From what I hear, the couple in question were already radicalized to some degree, so it's very possible they wouldn't have voluntarily entered treatment, and you cannot compel someone into treatment without a crime being committed.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Remember this day the next time PT6A starts getting kudos for being more liberal.

Dudes like Mr Burns in that Simpsons episode where he starts a recycling company and then ends up dredging the oceans to grind up and sell all the biomass because he literally can't comprehend how monstrous it is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Remember this day the next time PT6A starts getting kudos for being more liberal.

Dudes like Mr Burns in that Simpsons episode where he starts a recycling company and then ends up dredging the oceans to grind up and sell all the biomass because he literally can't comprehend how monstrous it is.

I'm still more liberal than I was, I just don't particularly care about a couple of terrorists (mentally handicapped or not) getting convicted of a crime, beyond the inordinate amount of resources that were spent on making it happen. You have to be quite the bleeding heart to think that people who literally wanted to blow up parliament shouldn't spend some time at the ol' government hotel, one way or the other.

EDIT: If these people are so mentally handicapped that they do not understand that killing and bombing people is wrong, what were they doing in public without supervision in the first loving place, anyway? Even the vast majority of mentally handicapped people know that killing people is wrong. It's not a high bar to cross, really.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

...it's very possible they wouldn't have voluntarily entered treatment, and you cannot compel someone into treatment without a crime being committed.

I don't know that playing Mr. Big for months, planning a terror attack, and repeatedly pushing the target to carry it out is necessarily the solution to this.

PT6A posted:

I'm still more liberal than I was, I just don't particularly care about a couple of terrorists (mentally handicapped or not) getting convicted of a crime, beyond the inordinate amount of resources that were spent on making it happen. You have to be quite the bleeding heart to think that people who literally wanted to blow up parliament shouldn't spend some time at the ol' government hotel, one way or the other.

Except they didn't literally want to blow up Parliament until the RCMP put them up to it. They wanted to do something, yes. They had no coherent idea what, and absolutely no way of accomplishing it.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 7, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You are and always will be the poster child for good old FYGM sociopathic conservatism.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

You are and always will be the poster child for good old FYGM sociopathic conservatism.

They wanted to blow up parliament and I'm the sociopath???

Are you loving kidding me?

I'm starting to think this case is of particular concern to CanPol posters because evidently most of the people in this thread are mentally handicapped.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

They wanted to blow up parliament and I'm the sociopath???

No, the RCMP wanted to blow up Parliament, by their own reports the couple mostly just wanted to get high and gently caress.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Except they didn't literally want to blow up Parliament until the RCMP put them up to it. They wanted to do something, yes. They had no coherent idea what, and absolutely no way of accomplishing it.

I'm supposed to feel better solely because they only knew they wanted to kill people and destroy things, not which people/things they wished to target specifically?

I'm not saying the RCMP operation was a good idea -- it seems like hilarious overkill -- but these wannabe terrorists are emphatically not the victims in this whole affair. The victims are the taxpayers who are footing the bill for this whole thing.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

I think you're vastly understating the number of people in Canada who are either stupid or vulnerable to the kind of persistent coercion that a couple of trained investigators can manage with a couple of million dollars backing them up. These are the same investigators who needed special rules to prevent them from talking the simpleminded and easily-intimidated into confessing to crimes they didn't commit, after all. A good Reid interviewer is a scary thing; I was awed by the guys I knew who could do it well because I was loving hopeless at it.

Let's reduce this to an even more absurd situation and say that elderly people who are vulnerable to people phoning them up and telling them to mail their savings to Nigeria should all be incarcerated.

e: Those two morons may not be victims but they should definitely be acquitted.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 7, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

people who literally wanted to blow up parliament

PT6A posted:

They wanted to blow up parliament

PT6A posted:

they wanted to kill people and destroy things

Holy poo poo dude. They loving didn't. The RCMP wanted this, to "prove" that "terrorism" was a threat thus justifying the Harper government's bullshit, so they loving entrapped them and convinced two mentally handicapped individuals to want to do this. How can you not see how this is a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Let's reduce this to an even more absurd situation and say that elderly people who are vulnerable to people phoning them up and telling them to mail their savings to Nigeria should all be incarcerated.

No, but they should be protected from themselves. If they are mentally unfit to live alone, they should have access to an assisted living facility or some form of home-care, because they are a risk to themselves.

These people, on the other hand, were both a risk to themselves, and by virtue of the fact that they saw no problem with blowing poo poo up and killing people, also a risk to the rest of society. Therefore, I have no problem with society being protected by having these fine simpletons removed from it.