Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Damnit I should have done that :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
New markets : Merkel remains through 2016, OPEC lowering targets by June 30, and Venezuelan recalls

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oh man Rand Noes aren't nearly as cheap as they were last time.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Vox Nihili posted:

Oh man Rand Noes aren't nearly as cheap as they were last time.
That's me. But in all fairness I'll let you in on my other angle: Carson NO. The guy is woefully disorganized right now, but because of the fourth quarter fundraising he'll have the money to go ahead to Super Tuesday. So at 80, 81, 82-cents a NO I'm grabbing a few.

When the market opened I gobbled up all the Huckabee YES when it was sub-20s and sold it all in the 30s. I really don't expect him to maintain 37 cents a YES but I do expect he'll be next to duck out. I'll be back in that for some YES when it dips.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
This is a ways off and it seems foolish to sink cash into it now, but the Will GOP Win the White House in a Landslide (370+) seems like easy money once the nominees are set. It's currently at .90 for NO, but I can see that dropping down to 70 or so after the conventions.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Peachstapler posted:

That's me. But in all fairness I'll let you in on my other angle: Carson NO. The guy is woefully disorganized right now, but because of the fourth quarter fundraising he'll have the money to go ahead to Super Tuesday. So at 80, 81, 82-cents a NO I'm grabbing a few.

When the market opened I gobbled up all the Huckabee YES when it was sub-20s and sold it all in the 30s. I really don't expect him to maintain 37 cents a YES but I do expect he'll be next to duck out. I'll be back in that for some YES when it dips.

Why is he any more likely than Santorum?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

A Time To Chill posted:

I put in an offer for 0.29 then went to bed assuming the swings were over. But lol no it went through and the shares were worth 0.60 when I woke up.

That's awesome!

I was too chicken. I've discovered that I am more motivated by not losing vs winning big. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

I am looking forward to playing the next to drop out market. Get ready for panic swings every time someone gets the flu and cancels an event, adjusts their ad purchases, or when Bill Kristol says something. Ultimately it will probably be Santorum or Huckabee since they are counting on Iowa.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Vox Nihili posted:

Why is he any more likely than Santorum?
Negative cash flow. Recent staff shakeup. Cutting senior staff salaries. I know he has a Super PAC behind him though so he's not dead in the water for that reason. He spent heavily on Iowa ads in November and December and clearly doesn't have the financial stability to maintain that approach, so Pursuing America’s Greatness is fitting the $500K bill. He'll drop out February 2nd after a fifth or sixth place finish despite his 150 events or whatever he's holding there.

Santorum isn't far behind. He obviously has a money problem as well, but he had such a successful 2012 primary I just don't see him bolting the scene yet. He loves to go on about how a candidate should put the message first and worry about everything else second even if they have to get by on a shoestring budget. For those reasons he'll linger until after Huck calls it quits. I'd really love to see some hard 4th quarter numbers to see how bad things are for these two.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I got in big @ 24¢ on DPRKNUKE2016.NO. I saw some shares sell as low as 20¢, but it looks like I did well.

I’m reasonably confident the market will resolve to “NO” on December 31, so I’m not worried about losing my shirt, but it would be great if the market settled at 10¢/90¢ like DPRKNUKE15 did when there wasn’t a panic.

There’s a lot of the year left during which NK could ostensibly test an H‐bomb, but if anything DPRKNUKE16 is less likely now than DPRNUKE15 was at the end of last year. It had been a long time since their last test. Imagine if this test had been pulled forward by a week and had been successful. It could have happened. But whatever NK detonated yesterday—boosted fission test or a fizzled H‐bomb—this suggests that they’re going to be at their drawing boards longer than twelve months.

Of course, there are a lot of people holding cheap “NO” that want to cash out, and that will keep the market down for a while regardless of the growing consensus that the detonation was not of an H‐bomb. And even though I’m confident it really wasn’t an H‐bomb, there’s some small risk in the particular wording the CTBTO uses and in interpretation by PredictIt, and the price will reflect that for a couple of months.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 02:51 on Jan 7, 2016

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Platystemon posted:

I got in big @ 24¢ on DPRKNUKE2016.NO. I saw some shares sell as low as 20¢, but it looks like I did well.

I’m reasonably confident the market will resolve to “NO” on December 31, so I’m not worried about losing my shirt, but it would be great if the market settled at 10¢/90¢ like DPRKNUKE15 did when there wasn’t a panic.

There’s a lot of the year left during which NK could ostensibly test an H‐bomb, but if anything DPRKNUKE16 is less likely now than DPRNUKE15 was at the end of last year. It had been a long time since their last test. Imagine if this test had been pulled forward by a week and had been successful. It could have happened. But whatever NK detonated yesterday—boosted fission test or a fizzled H‐bomb—this suggests that they’re going to be at their drawing boards longer than twelve months.

Of course, there are a lot of people holding cheap “NO” that want to cash out, and that will keep the market down for a while regardless of the growing consensus that the detonation was not of an H‐bomb. And even though I’m confident it really wasn’t an H‐bomb, there’s some small risk in the particular wording the CTBTO uses and in interpretation by PredictIt, and the price will reflect that for a couple of months.

Yeah I'm gonna wait a week or two before cashing out. Basically cash out and wait for another media panic to buy back in again.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I have a sell order in at .89.

edit lol at "Is North Korea Telling the Truth?"

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
New report from daily beast today with exposed emails looks pretty bad for Rahm. Price for resignation still in the low 20s if anyone wants to bet that this'll blow up in the coming weeks... I'm not convinced this actually changes anything, and he's already committed to staying on, but an interesting turn.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/06/exclusive-lawyers-went-to-rahm-then-quashed-the-laquan-mcdonald-video.html
http://www.salon.com/2016/01/07/rahm_emanuels_smoking_gun_why_a_new_bombshell_could_end_his_career_for_good/

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FYI: CTBTO will begin to sniff radiation from the nuke test "as early as Friday AM."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vox Nihili posted:

FYI: CTBTO will begin to sniff radiation from the nuke test "as early as Friday AM."

So that’s what’s driving the price up.

Spoiler alert: they won’t announce anything for at least a month.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

So that’s what’s driving the price up.

Spoiler alert: they won’t announce anything for at least a month.

Could be next week. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYMrWXXWYAADTN4.png

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Puerto Rico is pretty likely to declare bankruptcy, or at least undergo some sort of financial restructuring, this year, so 25c on Yes seems like a pretty good bet to me.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Stereotype posted:

Puerto Rico is pretty likely to declare bankruptcy, or at least undergo some sort of financial restructuring, this year, so 25c on Yes seems like a pretty good bet to me.

I don't know poo poo about that situation how do you know it'll be likely?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Necc0 posted:

I don't know poo poo about that situation how do you know it'll be likely?

They're currently defaulting on monthly debt obligations; if the US economy hits the skids this year, PR could be hosed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Man I feel like the "will Trump sweep the first 4 states" market is a solid no, can't imagine why anyone would be saying yes.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

All right I did it, in for 500 - okay goons, what's the quickest way to double my money.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

pathetic little tramp posted:

All right I did it, in for 500 - okay goons, what's the quickest way to double my money.

Quick, go to the Obama poll!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

watwat posted:

Quick, go to the Obama poll!

Hahaha I saw that. My strategy is actually to buy a bunch of YES in whatever position came in second for next week's obama-poll market. Without a doubt there's always some random-rear end spike where you can pull in 5 cents profit a share while people run around frantic-as-hell.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Stereotype posted:

Puerto Rico seems like old guy who is in and out of the hospital, takes 12 drugs for his 5 chronic diseases, is on oxygen and still smokes. You know he's going to go, it could be quick, but then again he's been like that for years.

fishmech posted:

Man I feel like the "will Trump sweep the first 4 states" market is a solid no, can't imagine why anyone would be saying yes.

He probably won't but would be an interesting hedge for my Cruz Iowa Yes.

Zeta Taskforce has issued a correction as of 23:49 on Jan 8, 2016

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Bevy of new polls came out from Fox News, bad news for Christie nationally, but he's looking better in IA and NH.

The Obama poll market was fun this week when the latest fox news poll killed the 45+ people dead at the last minute.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

pathetic little tramp posted:

Bevy of new polls came out from Fox News, bad news for Christie nationally, but he's looking better in IA and NH.

The Obama poll market was fun this week when the latest fox news poll killed the 45+ people dead at the last minute.

Huh? Christie only got 5% in NH! Disaster for him, good for Rubio (15%)

Also, on Puerto Rico, some basic googling in the past makes it clear that it's not as simple as it seems. Yeah they're out of $, and probably would have declared already, but the market rules are very specific for Chapter 9 Section 11 BK filing, which is currently not a legal option for states/territories. There is a bill that Obama's backing going through congress now to try to give PR the ability to use it, but I have no clue what the politics are, if it'll get held up by the GOP, if it's imminent, etc.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Really lucky my Christie shares sold sometime last night, almost got toasted by that poll. Instead I managed to buy and flip every single Christie 5% no share on the market, which was fun.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Vox Nihili posted:

Really lucky my Christie shares sold sometime last night, almost got toasted by that poll. Instead I managed to buy and flip every single Christie 5% no share on the market, which was fun.

Thanks fer buyin my NOs! (And subsequently making a profit on them yourself, win win!)

thethreeman posted:

Huh? Christie only got 5% in NH! Disaster for him, good for Rubio (15%)

I thought Christie was at 5% before, so he was at least staying steady. My apologies.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Vox Nihili posted:

With how low volume some of these markets still are I bet there's a lot of opportunity to manipulate markets but I wouldn't know the first thing in how to actually do that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Necc0 posted:

With how low volume some of these markets still are I bet there's a lot of opportunity to manipulate markets but I wouldn't know the first thing in how to actually do that.

I think it would be easier to flood comments sections with links to bullshit speculative articles under multiple accounts. Basically, get people hyped up for something and buy the opposite in small panics.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Stereotype posted:

Puerto Rico is legally ineligible to declare bankruptcy. You're not betting on them being in a lovely financial situation, you're betting on Congress changing the law.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Puerto Rico is legally ineligible to declare bankruptcy. You're not betting on them being in a lovely financial situation, you're betting on Congress changing the law.

Yup. Hint: Congress won't do poo poo.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

watwat posted:

Yup. Hint: Congress won't do poo poo.

This neo-liberal rag disagrees

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21685453-congress-should-allow-puerto-rico-declare-bankruptcy-bill-will-come-due

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Zeta Taskforce posted:

But NH will stay crowded, the establishment candidates will split the vote, and 30% will be enough for him to win.

Aliquid posted:

NH splitting the GOPe vote between Christie, Kasich and Bush would be The Chaos Scenario

New Fox News has Trump up by 18. PPP poll has 6 candidates in double digits and Trump up by 14. Anyone else betting on The Chaos Scenario?

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Puerto Rico statehood 2016?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Analyst wisdom says Trump Iowa is slightly overvalued and Cruz slightly undervalued, but you have to remember who you're dealing with. If I was betting I'd never mess with any markets that Trump affected.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jewel Repetition posted:

Analyst wisdom says Trump Iowa is slightly overvalued and Cruz slightly undervalued, but you have to remember who you're dealing with. If I was betting I'd never mess with any markets that Trump affected.

This is my policy as well.

Trump hasn’t obeyed conventional wisdom in the past. It’s lunacy to expect him to behave it in the future.

Someone out there is right about Trump, but probably not the analyst aggregate.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

evilweasel posted:

Also here is an article on why Ryan will probably push to grant PR bankruptcy protections.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/congress-action-puerto-rico-debt-crisis-217474
Hint: It's because he hates the Freedom Caucus. The only other thing Congress can do is bail them out. They literally cannot pay their debts, at some point bankruptcy is better for monied interests than them just refusing to pay any banks.

Nothing will probably happen for another two months (March 31st is the "deadline"), but I bet a ton of articles will come out between then and now, pushing the price up. Hell, its up 5c since when I posted it at first.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

That article says they should, not that they will.

I think there is a reasonable chance Congress actually manages to pass a bill, but it's just important for anyone speculating in that market to know exactly what they're betting on - not Puerto Rico's finances, but the ability of Congress to perform a basic task everyone sees is necessary without seizing up and failing to do anything.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Managed to get 400 shares of Bush making the next major debate at 95c a pop. Slow and steady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Vox Nihili posted:

Managed to get 400 shares of Bush making the next major debate at 95c a pop. Slow and steady.

Doesn't the way the fees work mean you don't make any money off those?

• Locked thread