Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Some trinkets are just straight up good with no downsides. Restraining Padlock reduces transformation stress by 25% for the party AND the abomination, the -8 dodge on Focus Ring is meaningless because it's obviously tailored for the leper who has 0 dodge anyway. Recovery charm gives +40% heals received with no downside, hell fasting seal can be pretty good on long runs where you want to maximize your inventory space for loot. A lot of the common and rare trinkets are bad because the downsides very closely match the bonuses.

There's also something like the Cleansing Crystal where the main reason you use it is for its supposed downside i.e. to reduce the bleed chance on Wyrd Reconstruction on your Occultist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

AegisP posted:

There's only like, a handful of classes where I'll actually switch skills depending on what I want to do.

Mostly it's just unlocking the 4 skills I always use on them and ignoring everything else.

even speaking as a guy who does skill flexibility (mostly in so i can slot people into different slots as needed) it's stupid as hell to buy new skills outside of the totally necessary ones (like party/single target heal on vestal, for instance) on level 0s

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

AngryBooch posted:

There's also something like the Cleansing Crystal where the main reason you use it is for its supposed downside i.e. to reduce the bleed chance on Wyrd Reconstruction on your Occultist.

You know, I never thought that negative bleed % would impact that. By that logic, does that mean anything that increases bleed chance increases it on Wyrd Reconstruction as well?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Greatbacon posted:

You know, I never thought that negative bleed % would impact that. By that logic, does that mean anything that increases bleed chance increases it on Wyrd Reconstruction as well?

Yup. The Occultist has no offensive bleed skills, so there's no reason to give him +bleed trinkets unless you hate your dudes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I wish I remembered to take a screenshot, but I have a Vestal that has so much +healing stacked up combined with the Man At Arms shield that gives him +50% heals received that her AoE heals everybody for 5 (MaA for 7) and her single target heal was healing him for 18hp without crits. Also that run the MaA absorbed about a bajillion damage and the only problem I had was that he was inadvertently stress-tanking so he ended up getting afflicted at the end of the run. Still not bad.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I wish I remembered to take a screenshot, but I have a Vestal that has so much +healing stacked up combined with the Man At Arms shield that gives him +50% heals received that her AoE heals everybody for 5 (MaA for 7) and her single target heal was healing him for 18hp without crits. Also that run the MaA absorbed about a bajillion damage and the only problem I had was that he was inadvertently stress-tanking so he ended up getting afflicted at the end of the run. Still not bad.

The MaA's guard is such a good ability, he's the only reason I'm comfortable putting a highwayman in rank 2. Riposte is also hilarious against the mushroom men.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 6, 2016

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
So enemy mark damage bonuses are additive with damage dealt reduction debuffs?

At least, my expectation that Swine Prince would deal 0 damage when afflicted by -136% damage on him was dashed when he still deals 3-7 damage to marked targets. Not that it didn't trivialize the fight, but the interaction wasn't entirely expected.

Guess the wiki is somewhat suspect.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, I finished my first Long Dungeon in the Warrens, and man the treasures I had to give up because of the limited pack. Is there going to be a system that allows for sending the loot back? Because in most cases it's even a case of the loot being a tonne. and the quest not even being over.

On the plus side. 20k and two level 3s. On the downside I still need to kill the Apprentice bosses, so that's a Man at Arms and a Plague Doctor I can't use for the Hag or Swine Prince or whoever's in the Cove (I do not like going to the Cove as the enemies HP is ridiculous.)

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

AegisP posted:

So enemy mark damage bonuses are additive with damage dealt reduction debuffs?

At least, my expectation that Swine Prince would deal 0 damage when afflicted by -136% damage on him was dashed when he still deals 3-7 damage to marked targets. Not that it didn't trivialize the fight, but the interaction wasn't entirely expected.

Guess the wiki is somewhat suspect.

They changed the damage formula with modifiers a few patches back. I haven't bothered trying to figure out exactly how the new ones work, but the old ones you could cancel out damage penalties on skills so you'd be doing 100%+ damage grapeshots and poo poo.

Honestly don't rely on the wikis for anything, they're absolutely terrible. Like I can go and find hero skills that are 2 major balance patches behind. Strategy guides to bosses and stuff are probably also somewhat out of date. Some of the tips still work, but a lot don't.

Onmi: longer dungeons you just prioritize the loot you're taking out. 250gp gems are the worst at 1000/stack. Gold itself stacks up to 1500, 500gp gems go to 2000. The big gems you probably aren't going to get to the max 4000, but even at 1 its on par with the worst option, and at 2 it is as good as the second best option. You can also prioritize if you want heirlooms or what type of heirlooms you keep, though the dungeon area you go to tends to influence the type of heirlooms you see drop.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Damage modifiers are still additive, except an attack's intrinsic damage modifier is always a straight multiplier. So a highwayman with a legendary bracer (+20%) and clean guns (+20%) does (100% + 20% + 20%) * 40% damage when using grapeshot. That's 56% base damage, where before it would have been 80% (40% + 20% + 20%.)

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea that makes sense and sounds inline with what I see, at least going off memory. I wouldn't be shocked if there was a cap on how much -dmg% reduces enemy hits, and stuff like that.

Still never go to the wiki for basically anything.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Siren down, on the down(?) side, my Helion, Arbalest, second Grave Robber and Leper got to Rank 3. Meaning I'll need a whole new team of Level 2's to go stomp the other early bosses.

Also I've decided to simply forgo buying torches, it saves a lot of money and honestly it hasn't bitten my rear end yet, maybe on the Intermediate dungeons I'll start feeling it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man, I was so nervous for my first Veteran level boss but I ended up absolutely making GBS threads on the Necromancer. 2 attacks from my Doggie-treated Houndmaster for a combined 61 (without crits) and 2 from my Arbalest for a total of over 100 because both were crits, one for 59, made things a liiiittle bit easier than I think they could have been. Man, marking often seems like a waste in normal runs but it sure owns for bosses.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Onmi posted:

Siren down, on the down(?) side, my Helion, Arbalest, second Grave Robber and Leper got to Rank 3. Meaning I'll need a whole new team of Level 2's to go stomp the other early bosses.

Also I've decided to simply forgo buying torches, it saves a lot of money and honestly it hasn't bitten my rear end yet, maybe on the Intermediate dungeons I'll start feeling it.

A group of level 1s can kill the boss no problem, you don't *have* to level them to 2. Low light in low level dungeons isn't too bad, they're tuned pretty easy. There is a chance encounter that can really screw you if you draw it (way more-so at higher levels, to the point that level 5 dark runs are basically a no-go). Any combat mistakes or bad luck will be costlier, either in making the run risky or in having to actually send someone to stress relief afterwards.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
How are crits calculated? I had a Vestal solidly on 0% crit (had that disease that gives -crit as well as -crit from a trait, she would be at around -3% after skill mods if it could go negative) crit a party heal in my last run which perplexed me a bit.

E: Also said Vestal was a level 2 I brought for a Veteran boss because I was feeling saucy and more importantly I only have 3 dudes under level 3 so I need to bring them along for big boy stuff now as I'm too lazy to level more...and then I ran into the Collector on the way to the boss. Thankfully it was the second Ruins one with all the pews so I had specced my party for row-4 damage and burst him down fast, and his minions wasted their turns first buffing him to 250% damage just as I killed him and then one of themselves to 150% when I could just kill it, instead of attacking. But given I had no stress-heal abilites and as far as I knew my Vestal couldn't crit to mitigate stress, it ended up a close call - she hit 100 stress on the last round before I finished the quest and didn't manage to do any damage with it thankfully.

Also I love Vestal with the +33% Heal trinket and the +15%HP/10%Protect or whatever trinket that both reduce damage done. The only damage she has is the lifedrain one anyway and it still does 5 - 10 damage which is usually enough chip damage for whatever low-hp monster I might want picked off.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 7, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Not at home to check, and I'm not sure on the exact mechanics, but her heal probably has a base critical value which at a guess gets added to the character's crit bonus.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Must be that, strange it wouldn't be shown like the damage spells though. In fact it even showed the 1% mod from Dazzling Light rank 3, the last damage spell she'd used, on the tooltip when I checked. She has 3.5% base crit and -6% from disease/quirk so it's gotta be at least 3% then right?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I really like the Arbalest, and I have one kitted out very well (damage/accuracy/crit trinkets, ranged damage, ranged crit, ranged accuracy locked, plus she also has +1% crit, and +10% damage :black101: )

I put her on a marking team, Restring Crossbow, set up her shots with target whistle, and see her Sniper Shot consistently do...

9 damage :negative:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
more like garbagelest, am I correct

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

youre my enemy now

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Meanwhile my Plague Doctor with an anemic 3.5% crit chance is chain critting Plague grenades for a whopping 1 damage to each target... Really nailing it with those poison hackeysacks lol.

Also, I've discovered that if you use an AoE ability on a group of enemies and corpses, even if you only crit vs the corpses you still get the stress heal just the same. My Man At Arms' hobbies include Pilates, bird watching, and screaming at mutilated pig remains.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Bought this during the Winter Sale. Been enjoying it for the most part, apart from some gripes on how the interface for prepping for a run could be somehow streamlined with equipment profiles and stuff like that. I'm still running the low end stuff, and building a large pool of level 3 heroes will probably die a violent and painful death.

^^ The Vestal also got Nymphomania from one of the Library books on the same run. I guess a party really "bonds" when they adventure together. It must have been a temple of Slaneesh or something.

Anyhow, finished a long quest in Darkest Dungeon, with a party of Leper, Bounty Hunter, Grave Robber, and Vestal. Cleared the southern half with some battles, used a camp before continuing north, then found Shambler shrine. I was hesitant... since I still had like a third of the dungeon left, but went ahead. Took on Shambler... Bounty Hunter died, Vestal nearly died and got an affliction but said gently caress YOU I'M A HOLY NYMPHOMANIAC BITCH and got Focus instead. Killed Shambler, looted ancestral scroll that gives +50% scouting. After a rough battle, backtracking, and using the last camp afterward, my party fought it's way to the near end, with like 3 more battles after the shambler that were all very painful with only one tank alive (Grave digger can sort of dodge tank, but it's tough without anyone to switch with), all party members except the leper debuffed with near death recovery. Last battle was spiders, and on the last round the Vestal got webbed... which marked her, killed the first two spiders but the last two focused on her, nearly killing her... killed all but one, and that fucker spit on her and brought her to death's door (this was probably the third time this venture) and had blight on her. Leper comes up and kills the spider, leaving her at 0hp and with blight ready to trigger.

I thought to myself "Yes. Alright Beau, you defeated the last one".... Nope, and then scout ping goes off. Two more loving battles in the two remaining rooms, and I'm all out of antivenom and food, so I can't continue because one more step will kill the Vestal. :smithicide:

Abandon Quest. :negative:

At least I got a scouting scroll :toot:

But yeah, what a hell of a rush filled with tension. Looking forward to more of those kinds of runs.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 7, 2016

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Soothing Vapors posted:

wrong

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

A group of level 1s can kill the boss no problem, you don't *have* to level them to 2. Low light in low level dungeons isn't too bad, they're tuned pretty easy. There is a chance encounter that can really screw you if you draw it (way more-so at higher levels, to the point that level 5 dark runs are basically a no-go). Any combat mistakes or bad luck will be costlier, either in making the run risky or in having to actually send someone to stress relief afterwards.

I figured as much, I'm just overly cautious when preparing for these things especially when in my first Apprentice Necromancer fight I got my poo poo pushed in. I mean I personally prepare hard and I don't feel the need to push forward if I'm having fun, which I am.

And that's the Swine King down, That pushed one of my Bounty Hunters into Rank 3, and I'm now trying to get the Low rank bosses out of the way ASAP, I mean, I still have 12 below level 3 characters, But I really don't want to wind up having to fire someone just because I couldn't make a party of 4.

Speaking of, thinking of Bounty Hunter, Crusader, Occultist, Arbalest for the Hag. Seeing as they should all have the ability to attack past her Pot.

Still, I have to clear the stress from some of them first, So I'll start leveling up another team. If I do this right I'll have all the Apprentice bosses down before they all hit level 3.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The shambler encounter is a bit different from originally huh

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Personally I'd swap the crusader out for a hellion. The problem with crusader is he can only hit the hag if he is in slot not 1, and you're basically going to have someone in the pot. So you want people that can hit rank 3/4 from position 1, 2, 3. I'd also suggest swapping bounty for someone, the issue he has is his mark attack only hits rank 1/2. Houndmaster works pretty nicely, or you could look into an abomination.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

Personally I'd swap the crusader out for a hellion. The problem with crusader is he can only hit the hag if he is in slot not 1, and you're basically going to have someone in the pot. So you want people that can hit rank 3/4 from position 1, 2, 3. I'd also suggest swapping bounty for someone, the issue he has is his mark attack only hits rank 1/2. Houndmaster works pretty nicely, or you could look into an abomination.

I don't have a Hellion at the right level, right now available I have a Rank 1 Leper (No.) a Rank 1 Highwayman, a Rank 2 Jester, a Rank 2 Houndmaster, and the Crusader, Bounty Hunter and Occultist (Arbalest Rank 1 currently in therapy.)

I'm thinking Jester/Occultist/Crusader/Bounty Hunter if only because the Jester sliding back and forth will always set up the Crusader for Holy Lance.

Or, I can hold off for a mission to get back another Rank 2 Occultist, and Rank 1 Abomination, Arbalest, Man at Arms and a third Occultist.

Everyone else is Level 3, and I'm at 24/25 Heroes. But I'd have to train up the Rank 0 Anyway (Though for those curious, currently the offer is 2 Highwaymen 1 Bounty Hunter, 1 Crusader and 1 abomination)

EDIT: Yeah I can get Dirk/Lance set up for backrow smacking, Then have the Occultist and the Houndmaster for everything else.

EDIT 2: That did it, She grabbed the Crusader and I just kept laying into her, beat her damage clock by what looks to be 1 turn. Still, that's the Wizened Hag down.

EDIT 3: Onto the final Apprentice boss, the Sodden Crew. My options are Occultist, Man at Arms, Crusader, Leper, Abomination, Arbalest, Highwayman and Bounty Hunter.

I'm thinking to go Arbalest, Occultist, Leper, Crusader. I'll try to pull the Anchorman in with the Occultist/Heal, Have the Arbalest do her Sniping thing with healing as an aside, Crusader just in for Undead slaying and Leper in for power. I'm considering throwing in the Bounty Hunter instead, who's Level in a mission.

Now, going from purely the perspective of "Not wanting to have to bring a level 2 on an intermediate mission" then the Leper, Crusader, Man at Arms and Occultist all have low experience 9/9/8/8 out of 14. total.

Meanwhile the Abomination, Arbalest, Gunslinger and Bounty Hunter are 11/13/13/12 out of 14. Which if I'm right and the boss maps give +3 EXP, then that's the team I should bring.

EDIT 4: I managed to do it and get all 4 to rank 3. Soon, I'll have a roster of 25 Rank 3 heroes after that, what could go wrong?

Hopefully nothing as I have no desire to raise Rank 0's again

Onmi fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 7, 2016

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

What do the numbers in the skulls at the mission/hero select map mean? I get the bar filling up shows how long until I fight the boss, but I have no idea of the number.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Olive Branch posted:

What do the numbers in the skulls at the mission/hero select map mean? I get the bar filling up shows how long until I fight the boss, but I have no idea of the number.

Every number from 2-7 is another boss that's been unlocked.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Do we know anything about what the actual Darkest Dungeon is going to be?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If by that you mean, "What is the darkest dungeon, physically?", then it's the cavern under the manor where the ancestor dug up Cthulhu and/or hell, so probably some lovecraftian ruins in a cavern setting. If you mean "What are the mechanics of it?", then as far as I know the only detail I know is that retreat is impossible, if you send a team in there, you either win the mission or die trying.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

Better to think of her as a healer instead of a damage dealer.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
it rhymes so you know its true

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

sullat posted:

Better to think of her as a healer instead of a damage dealer.

she's a really poor healer, and her bandages need a buff so they can apply to any rank (because it makes no goddamn sense that it doesn't)

she's a decent marker, her bolo does good damage as well as her three-rank multiattack, but yeah

she's not a good healer, at loving all

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
She's a really good supplemental healer, especially if your frontliners have their own heals, like Crusader or Leper. Percentage heal increase buff is sick. Also 30 point occultists non-crit heals.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

She works really, really well with the occultist. She is tankier than almost anyone you're putting in that slot (gimmick MaA is the tankiest) and poo poo tends to not focus rank4 usually, so not being able to heal herself isn't too bad. On the other hand, having a guaranteed heal to get someone off death's door is the weak point for the occultist so she covers that hole. Sniper shot supported by buffs and trinkets can hit like a truck. Like get a level or two and you're able to be critting 50+ with a really high crit chance. Occultist can handle marking targets for her most of the time if you want to, otherwise sniper shot still hits for decent non-mark damage to their back ranks.

Her heal numerically isn't much behind anything besides the main heal skills for vestal/occultist. It also works nicely with those for someone who needs a lot of heals (% increase makes big heals bigger!).

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
more like.... the arbaleast

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Jan 19th looks like the final release

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/685179050126540800

I've only been picking at the game here and there, can't wait to commit to a full run. Excited to see what they have in store.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Canadian Surf Club posted:

Jan 19th looks like the final release

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/685179050126540800

I've only been picking at the game here and there, can't wait to commit to a full run. Excited to see what they have in store.

I find myself amused by the three wolves howling at the moonshamblers keening to the bloodmoon shirt in that twitter feed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, my second intermediate dungeon went.... not a bad as possible because of liberal use of retreat but poor when I, after equipping all my trinkets, forgot to buy any items.

Also hey some things have 100 HP now neat.